Welcome Guest 

Register

Author Topic:
PotbellyHairyfoot
Grandpa Moderator
Send Message
Post - Feanor - Chapter quote QS 4
on: April 13, 2016 06:45
We have now met the Noldorian Elf Feanor, a most interesting character.
I am going to start a thread on him now and we can add to it as we read on.
Finwë was King of the Noldor. The sons of Finwë were
Fëanor, and Fingolfin, and Finarfin; but the mother of
Fëanor was Míriel Serindë, whereas the mother of Fingolfin
and Finarfin was Indis of the Vanyar. Fëanor was the
mightiest in skill of word and of hand, more learned than his
brothers; his spirit burned as a flame.

For now all we know is that he was an extremely talented and mighty Elf, but later on I'm hoping to post evidence to show him as a Charismatic Narcissist and how those two traits combined to make him a dangerous sociopath.
Gandolorin
Council Member
Send Message
This is a point where the discussion of the Silmarillion as the published book, me theoretically as a first-time reader, breaks down massively for me. I just have read too much in HoME (and probably other books) about Fëanor, very much of it concerning events before the rebellion.

That said, I am keenly curious about your train of thought regarding one of the most complex characters in Middle-earth (even though he is almost a record-holder for the least time having lived there!). And the contributions by some other "bookies", as I know some of them to be sympathetic to Fëanor (and his sons) in varying degrees - which I am decidedly not!
ElwingAndEarendil
Council Member
Send Message
I am definitely sympathetic to Feanor, not to where I excuse his acts, but in the fact that I can see where he came from and see how things could've turned out differently. My main examples come from the next chapter we will be reading, so I will hold off until then.
"The Deeds that we shall do shall be the matter of song..." - Haunting the Realm of Vaire as the Corrupted Major - Find me as Silmarilz1701 everywhere else
Elfeawen Lomiondil
Council Member
Send Message
Gandolorin, what you said about there being much to learn about Fëanor beyond the Silmarillion is exciting to hear because I am greatly interested in him, but I hope this thread mostly focuses on that book so as not to "spoil." Does that seem reasonable, or just impractical? I just look forward to making the discoveries myself, and I would be sad to stay away from the discussion of one of my favorite characters until then, but I will if I have to, in order to limit spoilers.
"There shall be war between the Children of Iluvatar and the Ainu Melko. What if we perish in our quest? The dark halls of Vê be little worse than this bright prison" ~ Fëanor
Gandolorin
Council Member
Send Message
It "simply" means that I can no longer view Fëanor as a first-time reader would; I could not tell you what my views at my first reading were, as with so much of JRRT's legendarium. I'll try to keep the spoil factor low (though I may be kidding myself here, as I certainly do not have nearly all my comments, never mind lengthier ones, memorized). Image
Members Online
Print Friendly, PDF & Email