Welcome Guest 

Register

Author Topic:
PotbellyHairyfoot
Grandpa Moderator
Send Message
Post Chapter quote QS-11 of The Sun and the Moon...
on: June 13, 2016 10:01
But Morgoth hated the new lights, and was for a while confounded by this unlooked-for stroke of the Valar. Then he assailed Tilion, sending spirits of shadow against him, and there was strife in Ilmen beneath the paths of the stars...

So, is it possible that these paths are the means used by the Balrog to find a way into the depths beneath Moria?
Elfeawen Lomiondil
Council Member
Send Message
I think not. It says "the paths of the stars" not the paths beneath the stars. I think that it just refers to the course the stars take across the sky, and not a path that others could travel.

If you mean, can Balrogs travel through Ilmen, then I would say: possibly. The spirits of shadow could probably be considered Maiar, and were likely akin to the Balrogs. I don't know that the Balrog of Moria would have needed to travel through Ilmen, couldn't it travel underground where Manwë's creatures would not pursue it? I don't know enough about it to have a firm opinion.
"There shall be war between the Children of Iluvatar and the Ainu Melko. What if we perish in our quest? The dark halls of Vê be little worse than this bright prison" ~ Fëanor
Members Online
Print Friendly, PDF & Email