Welcome Guest 

Register

Author Topic:
srkitch13
Council Member
Send Message
Post Question on which tengwa to use
on: January 31, 2017 02:48
i think i figured out most of my silly mistakes in my previous tengwar transcription by going back through the tengwar lessons here. they are more clear than some of the others i was using from other places for sure. I do, however, have two questions that I haven't been able to decipher myself yet.

1) when adding an ending, like "lda" to a word that ends in "l" (estellda for example), do you signify that with a double lambe or with a lambe + alda instead? I guess i am asking does the fact that its grouped in the ending outweigh the fact that it technically doubles the "l" sound?

2) With órё and rómёn does a following “y” constitute a consonant even if it is in connection with another vowel, like “ya”? In other words should a word like urya use rómёn? I think it would but i want to be sure.
dirk_math
Quenya Workbook Mentor
Send Message
1) an ending cannot be directly added to a noun in a consonant, you need a connecting vowel: in the singular this is -e- in the plural -i- (or before -nya it is also -i-). So the correct form is estelelda
2) yes, óre never gets the two dots for the y, we always use rómen

Yassë engë lómë, anarties calali.
srkitch13
Council Member
Send Message
i think i remember reading that about the consonant endings and adding a connecting vowel, it just didn't stick. Thanks for helping me. I am trying to learn this...its really fascinating. I've just never paid tons of attention to the finer points of my own language, much less another one before. I'll get there, it just may take some time

[Edited on 01/31/2017 by srkitch13]
Members Online
Print Friendly, PDF & Email