Welcome Guest 

Register

Author Topic:
DarkLord153
Council Member
Send Message
Post Shelob's defeat against Sam
on: February 02, 2017 11:05
Not really sure about this,do idecided to ask you great guys in the forums! How did Shelob,daughter of Ungoliant,lose to a Hobbit? This is so strange that i can't undestand.Shelob had so many chances of killing Sam,but she couldn't do it. The most logical answer could be of Sam's pure luck,but what?! Shelob lose to a Hobbit? She killed so many Orcs before,but couldn't kill Sam. Someone please explain this,because it doesn't make sense!
That Still Only Counts As One!
tarcolan
Movies Moderator and General Dogsbody
Send Message
The usual explanation is that Shelob is not used to fighting, preferring instead to creep up and sting her prey. Sam actually challenges her, waving that nasty sword and the horrible light, both of which she had reason to fear. So you could say she was being too wary in the fight which allowed Sam to strike an eye out. Her intention was to crush him with her huge weight but Sam reached the sword and thrust it upward. This was an Elven blade and caused her a pain she had never known before.

In the book it is the light from Galadriel's Glass that defeats her in the end, but the film is pretty close to the book otherwise. Let's just say that luck was on his side that day.
DarkLord153
Council Member
Send Message
I see,an Elven blade is indeed a pain for creatures of the Dark, I knew that.But I guess he had extreme luck that day indeed!
That Still Only Counts As One!
Gandolorin
Council Member
Send Message
I personally believe that the Phial of Galadriel, with its piercing light, was more powerful against Shelob than Sting, Shelob being the greatest of Ungoliant's offspring, a creature of darkness fearing bright light. And then, having only faced Orcs in Cirith Ungol (remember how the Orcs left one of their own behind despite having found him, bound but alive?) she was not expecting the fierceness beyond anything to be expected from an adversary of this size, and then of course the most deadly weapon she had ever faced, an elven blade. Arrogance brought very low.

[Edited on 02/04/2017 by Gandolorin]
Members Online
Print Friendly, PDF & Email