Welcome Guest 

Register

Author Topic:
DarkLord153
Council Member
Send Message
Post Could we survive in Mordor based on what we know from the books?
on: March 25, 2017 02:59
I've thought about it before,but could we survive in a remote place somewhere east of mordor,but still inside? I mean,would there be the slightest chance of surviving based on what we know of Mordor from the books?
That Still Only Counts As One!
Gandolorin
Council Member
Send Message
I think so, yes. The plain of Gorgoroth in the north-west of Mordor, which was partly separated from the rest of Mordor by spurs of mountains or hills, was not a totally ruined as Gorgoroth. Nurn was "The name given to the greater part of the land of Mordor, comprising that region south of the central mountains and north of the lower range of the Mountains of Shadow. It was a dreary country, filled with endless acres of regimented fields which were worked by Sauron's slaves to feed his numerous armies." Aragorn gave this land to the freed slaves of Sauron after the destruction of the One Ring. So we, generically, could certainly survive there. Me personally, I do my hunting and gathering in the supermarket, so not my preferred place of living.
DarkLord153
Council Member
Send Message
Even if we did get to there,wouldn't there be a constant threat of an Orc attack? Also, how would we get food,supplies and drinkable water there?
Gandolorin
Council Member
Send Message
In what I stated above, I was definitely assuming that the One Ring had been destroyed and Mordor cleansed of all baddies, not trying to survive there with Sauron still residing in Barad-dur!
And since the region was arable even under Sauron's rule, food and water should not be a problem. While the "... great inland sea, Nurnen (Lake-of-Nurn) ... waters were bitter and undrinkable.", this need not be the case with the rivers that flowed into it. Think of the Jordan River, used for irrigation, which ends up in the Dead Sea, whose water is much saltier than ocean water and utterly undrinkable.

[Edited on 03/27/2017 by Gandolorin]
DarkLord153
Council Member
Send Message
Hmmm, I guess there would be a slight chance of surviving,but now another question popped up...Why didn't Frodo with Sam enter Mordor from a little bit further to the south east? Unless this mountains are a straight line and cannot be climbed whatever the cost, it would be a pretty good idea!
tarcolan
Movies Moderator and General Dogsbody
Send Message
I've measured the distance they would have needed to travel to get round the Ephel Duath and then make their way back to Mount Doom and it would be about 2,000 miles.
DarkLord153
Council Member
Send Message
are u sure about 2,000 miles? So they would typically have to cross an entire Europe and a little bit more just to get to mt Doom? If yes,Middle earth is broken because from Shire to Mordor would be like 50,000.That is too long to cover it up in one year on foot.
NenyaGold
Legend of Lothlórien & Head Chocolate Thingywidget of Yavanna
Send Message
Here's one mileage chart for quick reference:

Middle-earth mileage

But here's the LotR Project's interactive map:

LotR Project

Gandolorin
Council Member
Send Message
I remember JRRT once comparing locations in M-e compared to those of Europe. Hobbiton would be about at the location of Oxford (surprise!), while Minas Tirith would be approximately at the location of Rome, and Mordor would correspond about to the Balkans.
In Barbara Strachey's "The Journeys of Frodo", she locates the zero-point, where the quest of the Ring began, at Hobbiton - which puts Bag End a little less than a mile north. Barad-dûr is about 690 miles or 1110 kilometers east of Hobbiton, and 470 miles or 756 kilometers south.
Minas Tirith is 575 miles / 925 kilometers east, and 527 miles / 848 kilometers south.
Pelargir is more difficult to judge, as it is only on a 50-miles-to-the-inch scale map - Aragorn, Legolas and Gimli were there but not Frodo. Perhaps 525 miles / 845 kilometers east, 615 miles / 990 kilometers south. Close enough to fit JRRT's approximate equivalents stated above.

[Edited on 03/31/2017 by Gandolorin]
DarkLord153
Council Member
Send Message
Wow! Big thanks to NenyaGold for showing me that map,it is proven really helpful. But anyone commented here is also thanked for explaining!
NenyaGold
Legend of Lothlórien & Head Chocolate Thingywidget of Yavanna
Send Message
Glad to know it helps!

I just remembered this other site:

The Éowyn Challenge

I have no idea how accurate it is, but if you scroll down, there is a mileage chart.
DarkLord153
Council Member
Send Message
It's good too,thanks!
Members Online
Print Friendly, PDF & Email