Welcome Guest 

Register

Author Topic:
DarkLord153
Council Member
Send Message
Post Who played the biggest role in the destruction of the Ring?
on: April 03, 2017 02:09
I've been thinking about,so i decided to let you guys choose! My personal opinion is Gollum,but please go ahead and choose on option!
Gollum
57% (4)
Frodo
14% (1)
Sam
29% (2)
Aragorn
0% (0)
Gandalf
0% (0)
Bilbo
0% (0)
Elrond
0% (0)
That Still Only Counts As One!
Gandolorin
Council Member
Send Message
Frodo ultimately would not have been able to destroy the Ring, so Gollum's final attack led to its destruction, if inadvertently (for all anyone knows). Also, Gollum took the Ring away from the Gladden Fields, where both sides would at some time have been searching for it (Saruman certainly seems to have done so), and kept it hidden for almost 500 years, so even searching the Gladden Field became fruitless. He was the first and the last of the five Hobbits who exclusively had it in their possession after Isildur lost it.
DarkLord153
Council Member
Send Message
I've been thinking about Gollum too,because without him the Ring would stay in the bottom of the lake for years to pass. Even though he kept it for 500 years, the Ring abandoned him and Bilbo found,and about 60 years later Frodo took it and destroyed it 18 years later.So yes,in my opinion,Gollum did play the biggest part in this. But other people may say different things,and they are free to.

Extremely random edit: Evil SheildMaiden has conquered the Games Forum lol,all the topics except 3-4 are his/hers.I've never seen someone so obsessed with a Game Forum

[Edited on 04/04/2017 by DarkLord153]
Gandolorin
Council Member
Send Message
DarkLord153 said:... Extremely random edit: Evil SheildMaiden has conquered the Games Forum lol,all the topics except 3-4 are his/hers.I've never seen someone so obsessed with a Game Forum

Extremely random answer: you should have seen the Games Forum maybe 2 or more years ago! Evil~Shieldmaiden, the late, lamented Lindarielwen and I battled it out for control of pages one and two! For myself, I was very new to CoE at the time, by now I need a very creative day to tackle some of the threads. Maybe after my early retirement starting in less that four weeks ... Image
DarkLord153
Council Member
Send Message
What do you mean with retirement? Are you quitting this site?!

Edit: I tried to quote that sentence you typed but I'm too bad and i failed it....

[Edited on 04/05/2017 by DarkLord153]
tarcolan
Movies Moderator and General Dogsbody
Send Message
DarkLord said
Edit: I tried to quote that sentence you typed but I'm too bad and i failed it....

Copy and paste the passage you want to quote, highlight it and click the quote button.

If you follow the Ring in the story right from when Sauron lost it, you will see that everyone played a crucial part. If Isildur had kept it and taken it north, what then? If Déagol hadn't found it, who might have? If Bilbo hadn't picked it up... and so on.
DarkLord153
Council Member
Send Message
Thanks for the info on the quote thing!

Well, Gollum played the biggest role besides Deagol which i did not include because he's not that big of a character... But without Gollum,we can't say if Bilbo hadn't found it, because the Ring would never be in that exact spot but probably in the hands of Deagol-Gollum.

Random Question: This é , how do you put that thing above it? I've seen so many people type it like that but i have never found a way to do that? Is this a different language?

[Edited on 04/05/2017 by DarkLord153]
tarcolan
Movies Moderator and General Dogsbody
Send Message
There's a few ways of making accented letters, it depends whether you're using Windows or Mac OS and what device you use. Here's a couple of threads to help.
http://www.councilofelrond.com/forum/thread/29251/
http://www.councilofelrond.com/forum/thread/30086/
Ameriel
Council Member
Send Message
Gandolorin said:Frodo ultimately would not have been able to destroy the Ring, so Gollum's final attack led to its destruction, if inadvertently (for all anyone knows). Also, Gollum took the Ring away from the Gladden Fields, where both sides would at some time have been searching for it (Saruman certainly seems to have done so), and kept it hidden for almost 500 years, so even searching the Gladden Field became fruitless. He was the first and the last of the five Hobbits who exclusively had it in their possession after Isildur lost it.

But everyone else save Frodo Baggins wouldn't have gone that far - each and everyone we know the Ring would have consumed eventually.
'But wherever I came it was ever the same: the feet fled, and all was still; never a greeting, only the fleeting pipes, voices, horns on the hill.' // http://www.councilofelrond.com/rpgcharacter/amaery/
Gandolorin
Council Member
Send Message
Ameriel said:
Gandolorin said:Frodo ultimately would not have been able to destroy the Ring, so Gollum's final attack led to its destruction, if inadvertently (for all anyone knows). Also, Gollum took the Ring away from the Gladden Fields, where both sides would at some time have been searching for it (Saruman certainly seems to have done so), and kept it hidden for almost 500 years, so even searching the Gladden Field became fruitless. He was the first and the last of the five Hobbits who exclusively had it in their possession after Isildur lost it.

But everyone else save Frodo Baggins wouldn't have gone that far - each and everyone we know the Ring would have consumed eventually.

But after Shelob’s Lair, when Sam, for a short time, had the One Ring, Frodo would not have gotten to Mount Doom without Sam. And after Bilbo had spared Gollum’s life in The Hobbit, Frodo also did so (more than once), and on the slopes of Mount Doom, even Sam did not kill Gollum when he could have. The point is, at the end, the One Ring HAD consumed Frodo – he would not have been able to throw the One Ring in the Cracks of Doom to destroy it. Gollum did it (if inadvertently – and there have been massive discussions about how “inadvertent” that was).
Members Online
Print Friendly, PDF & Email