Welcome Guest 

Register

Author Topic:
erutan2099
Council Member
Send Message
Post Basic mathematics
on: June 06, 2017 05:02
Looking to practice number words with friends, trying to figure out the basic four mathematical operators: Add, subtract, multiply and divide.

The only words we could locate are :
Add : napan-
Divide : etsat-

How would we express the term "to subtract" or "to multiply" in common language? Would we use "add" the same way we would use "plus"?

EG: "5 add 3 is 8."

We are divided in the use of "mis-" 'less' for subtract/minus and need a tiebreaker or some guidance.

Any help is appreciated!
-Erunámo -"Istyallo, Ilu."
dirk_math
Quenya Workbook Mentor
Send Message
For subtract you could use píca- "lessen, dwindle".

And maybe for multiplication something like repeated addition. Or you could try "enfold" as in earlier versions of the Germanic languages "fold" was a way to indicate multiples (e.g. twofold, fourfold, manifold, ...).
Yassë engë lómë, anarties calali.
Tamas Ferencz
Council Member
Send Message
For subtraction, perhaps an ablative/partitive preposition would work, something like nelde ló/hó/o kainen "ten minus three (lit. three from among ten)".

As for multiplication, I think the Early Qenya multiplication suffix -llume (PE14) would work well, as its meaning/function is quite transparent even if transferred to later versions of the language.
Languages of Middle-Earth Community - Google Plus https://plus.google.com/u/0/communities/105957840800720660334
erutan2099
Council Member
Send Message
Tamas Ferencz said:For subtraction, perhaps an ablative/partitive preposition would work, something like nelde ló/hó/o kainen "ten minus three (lit. three from among ten)".

As for multiplication, I think the Early Qenya multiplication suffix -llume (PE14) would work well, as its meaning/function is quite transparent even if transferred to later versions of the language.

dirk_math said:For subtract you could use píca- "lessen, dwindle".
"fold" was a way to indicate multiples (e.g. twofold, fourfold, manifold, ...).

I am really appreciative of this method - it is concise and effective. My group and I have really taken to using statements like this for games involving lifepoints; it is really effective when trying to do quick math.

As for the multiplier, do you happen to have any alternate sources for that "-llumë" extension? I have tried to obtain a copy of Parma Eldalamberon 14, but it is out of print.

"Folding" is absolutely perfect for multiplying, Thanks!

[Edited on 07/24/2017 by erutan2099]
-Erunámo -"Istyallo, Ilu."
dirk_math
Quenya Workbook Mentor
Send Message
http://www.ambar-eldaron.com/thorsten/numerals.html

[Edited on 07/24/2017 by dirk_math]
Yassë engë lómë, anarties calali.
Members Online
Print Friendly, PDF & Email