Welcome Guest 

Register

Author Topic:
Bryceb
Council Member
Send Message
Post Name translation
on: July 17, 2017 07:45
My apologies if there is a dedicated thread for this subject, I'm a new member. I studied elvish (both Quenya and Sindarin) about 15 years ago. Unfortunately, I never surpassed basic phrases and it has been quite some time since I've delved into the subject with any serious depth. Lately I've rekindled my interest in reading the silmarillion and history of middle earth series, as well as brushing up on my basic Elvish. But I digress...

I was wondering if someone might be able to help me with a translation of my name. I know that simply translating the meaning of your name into quenya or sindarin doesn't quite suffice, as there are grammatical changes due to it being an persons name.

My first name is "Bryce". It's a Celtic name meaning Swift, Quick moving, or alert. My last name is quite obscure, but it has a Germanic/Norman origin and is a combination of two words, the first meaning "bear" and the second meaning "spear".

Any help is greatly appreciated, as well as advice as to whether I would use both names, or only one name. I'm very far from an expert on elvish naming conventions and value all input.
dirk_math
Quenya Workbook Mentor
Send Message
When I look your name up I find "speckled" as meaning: http://www.behindthename.com/name/brice

So my derivation would be: tixë "dot", tixita- "to dot", tixitaina "dotted".

Bear+spear would combine into morcehtyar "bear spearman".
But as I don't know the original I have to rely on your translation.

Elves normally only use first names, only when confusion arises the last name is added.
Yassë engë lómë, anarties calali.
Members Online
Print Friendly, PDF & Email