Register

Author Topic:
Tithen
Council Member
Send Message
Post General Sindarin Questions
on: August 11, 2017 03:47
Hi all! Here are a few questions I've had since starting to learn Sindarin:
1. In the appendix of Return of the King, it mentions that Elves do not distinguish between P and B, yet both the Cirth and all the Sindarin I've seen have both letters. Why?
2.I cannot find Sindarin words for yes, no, please, or thank you (aside from hannad) on this site, though I have seen them on others. Do Elves simply answer questions with full statements?
3. The other main site I use for Sindarin is Arwen Undomiel, which in turn takes their content from other sites. Does anyone know if said content is particularly out of date/inaccurate?
4. This one is more of a comment than a question, but the Tengwar/tîw don't seem to have cases, so I'm assuming any proper nouns are indicated through context, and names have a specific form?
5. And last but not least, does anyone have suggestions as to another learning site for Sindarin so I can get a broader scope of things? I initially started on dreamingfifi's site, but I'm a cheapskate, and didn't want to buy the textbook... ;P
That's all! For now. I think...
-Tithen
Tithen
Council Member
Send Message
Also, I'm trying to find a Sindarin word for "teach/taught" for something I'm writing. I can't find one anywhere, not even a constructed word. Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Tamas Ferencz
Council Member
Send Message
Hello Tithen,

1. I assume you refer to this footnote:
The only relation in our alphabet that would have appeared intelligible to the Eldar is that between P and B; and their separation from one another, and from F, M, V, would have seemed to them absurd.

I think this note wasn't meant to indicate that the Elves wouldn't distinguish between the consonantal sounds P and B, but that it would not make sense to them how they were represented in the Latin alphabet.
2. Tolkien has given us notoriously little information about how these expressions were formed in Elvish. We know now, from recent publications, how yes and no, agreement and disagreement, were used in Quenya, but still haven't got their equivalents in Sindarin; so whatever solutions you may see on websites and wordlists are either paraphrasings or attempts at reconstruction.
3. No idea about that site, sorry. The resources I can recommend are eldamo.org, elfdict.com, ardalambion.com, of course dreamingfifi's lessons, and science-and-fiction.org/elvish/index.html
4. One way to mark a proper noun is to make the initial tengwa a different colour from the rest; but indeed, there are no cases
5. see #3
6. again, we have no word for 'teach' or 'learn' in Sindarin; in fact, the only attested word for 'teach' is in the very early Gnomish language, which is sort of a predecessor of Sindarin but quite different. There is a word for 'learn' in Quenya, but not in Sindarin.
Languages of Middle-Earth Community - Google Plus https://plus.google.com/u/0/communities/105957840800720660334
Tithen
Council Member
Send Message
Thanks so much! Sorry I'm so late getting back, I took a break...
*+.Engolwen.+*
Council Member
Send Message
I think you should use Sindarin Hub, it really is amazing! I recommend.
Members Online
Print Friendly, PDF & Email