Welcome Guest 

Register

Author Topic:
LordOfTheGeeks
Council Member
Send Message
Post Middle Earth Lore
on: August 14, 2017 10:31
Does anyone know where i can find an organized history of Middle-Earth? I can't find anything of the sort on this site.

Gandolorin
Council Member
Send Message
Hi, LordOfTheGeeks, welcome to CoE.

To belabor the obvious and get that out of the way, of course there are the twelve volumes published by Christopher Tolkien between 1983 and 1996, officially titled History of Middle-earth. How organized this huge mass of information about how JRRT developed Middle-earth over almost sixty years is, is certainly open to debate.

With “organized history“, do you mean annals? Appendix B in “Return of The King” has brief annals of the Second Age, and more detailed annals of the Third Age, getting very detailed for the “Great Years” 3018-3019 TA. Other annals are to be found throughout HoMe, but they are developments on each other, reflecting the continuously changing concepts that JRRT was grappling with all his life – and which he never brought to a conclusion even vaguely close to the inner consistency of “Lord of The Rings”. I own several dozen books by and about JRRT, but none contain annals covering all three ages of M-e (the Fourth Age is only dealt with very briefly), except in extremely compressed form.

Perhaps someone somewhere, on (a) more specialized Tolkien site(s) has gone to the trouble of compiling something of the sort that you may be thinking of, but I’m ignorant of which sites these might be.
LordOfTheGeeks
Council Member
Send Message
Thank you! I'm always open to learning more about the history of Middle-Earth. How much detail and work J.R.R. Tolkien fascinates me. I'm a millennial so I grew interest from the movies. Since then, I've always wanted to know more.
Members Online
Print Friendly, PDF & Email