Welcome Guest 

Register

Author Topic:
loreson
Council Member
Send Message
Post Simple Phrase translation: "Until the end of time"
on: August 21, 2017 05:43
I want to translate the phrase "Until the end of time" into quenya. Problem: I don't speak it, and I don't have much time.
What I got so far:

until: tenna
the: in
end: metta
time: lúmë

metta has to be in allative? and lúmë in adjectival?
so I get:

tenna in mettanna lùmeva. Is this correct?
erutan2099
Council Member
Send Message
According to http://folk.uib.no/hnohf/quen-eng.htmthe word-phrase Ambar-Metta means "the end of the world". So I think it would follow that changing "Ambar"to "lúmë" might express a similar ending.

"Tenna i lúmë-metta."

That being said, I am reasonably sure that a more direct translation would be closer to the possessive case : "Tenna i metta lúmeva"

I am NOT an expert on this, so take it as you will.
-Erunámo -"Istyallo, Ilu."
loreson
Council Member
Send Message
thak you, I went with your second version, and transcribed into tengwar. With "Tengwar Elfica" I got:

1F55D ` %tF11D jUtFyD

Anny Comments?
erutan2099
Council Member
Send Message
Unfortunately, I do not have that particular font and it is not displaying properly.

However, I do have Tengwar Parmaitë and I went ahead and transcribed it :

Does this match what you had?

[Edited on 08/24/2017 by erutan2099]
-Erunámo -"Istyallo, Ilu."
Aelfwine
Council Member
Send Message
This is a rare circumstance in which Tolkien himself provides precisely and securely the phrase wanted. In Elvish thought, "the end of the world" is precisely "the end of time", since the created world (Ambar) is coterminous with time. So what you want is, in fact, "tenn' Ambar-metta", "until the end of the world".

(And if you prefer to use _lúme_, why not use the same, Tolkien-provided construction, "tenna lúme-metta", instead of a hyper-literal, word-for-word "translation" of the English phrase?)
Members Online
Print Friendly, PDF & Email