Welcome Guest 

Register

Author Topic:
morelkor
Council Member
Send Message
Post Lifecycle of the elves
on: September 19, 2017 10:07
I was wondering if anyone knew about or could point me in the right direction to find information on the lifecycle of elves?
I was mainly wondering how long they took to grow up; did they take hundreds of years to reach maturity or did they come of age earlier.
Ihope this is the correct place to post this.
I ain't been droppin' no eaves, sir, honest.
tarcolan
Movies Moderator and General Dogsbody
Send Message
There are a few threads in this forum concerning Elven life, and they are even called 'Elf-life' with a number. Here's the one about childhood and growth -
Elf-Life 2. Childhood and growth

and this one might be of interest as well -
Elf-Life 1. Conception and birth

also this one -
Elf children

There are lots of other discussions about Elves in the Book Forum as well. And don't forget the Middle Earth section of Elrond's Library.

[Edited on 09/20/2017 by tarcolan]
Elthir
Council Member
Send Message
The latest dated reference so far from Tolkien suggests Elves matured at much the same rate as Men (agrees with another text published in Unfinished Tales too)

Earlier notions (50 to 100 years for some, or another idea, 3,000 years in the early days of the Elves at least, and 3,000 years likewise for Elves in Aman) can get complicated.
morelkor
Council Member
Send Message
Thanks you, the links were interesting. I just wondered if they took ages to grow up one day as I watched a screaming child and imagined having to look after a kid like that for 500 years or so. It was a terrible thought.
I ain't been droppin' no eaves, sir, honest.
Members Online
Print Friendly, PDF & Email