Welcome Guest 

Register

Author Topic:
aranelzhavorssa
Council Member
Send Message
Post Trademarked Names
on: October 31, 2017 03:13
Hi all! I am new here, but I had a question. does anyone know if the name "Tolkien" is trademarked or Copyrighted? I work for a company that it trying to plan an event for Tolkien week next year, and any information you can provide is extremely helpful! Thank you!
Gandolorin
Council Member
Send Message
I have no idea for certain, just remember skirmishes between the Tolkien Trust (probably mostly driven by Christopher Tolkien) during filming of practically the entire time of PJ’s movies, and often thereafter. The only possibly vague help source that comes to my mind is the British “Tolkien Society”, https://www.tolkiensociety.org/. But while this site is a step at least beyond purely volunteer-driven sites, they also certainly do not have big lawyer firms backing them on legalese hair-splitting
aranelzhavorssa
Council Member
Send Message
Okay. Thank you!
NenyaGold
Legend of Lothlórien & Head Chocolate Thingywidget of Yavanna
Send Message
You might be careful where and how you use the name Tolkien and/or his works/names/creations. The rather small town of Vacaville in California held a fair in 2006 called The Middle-earth Festival. The next year they were told by the Tolkien estate to stop using the name, or be sued. They now call it the Medieval Fantasy Faire.
Members Online
Print Friendly, PDF & Email