Welcome Guest 

Register

Author Topic:
erutan2099
Council Member
Send Message
Post To disable - translation check
on: February 27, 2018 04:02
I am attempting to find/create an accurate translation for the verb "to paralyze".

The closest (accurate) translation I can think of is to say something along the lines of "to disable".

So in an effort to say "disable" the closest thing I can come up with is "uapolë". Would this be an accurate translation?

I keep thinking that I should need to use the abstract "-më" but I also think that a straightforward usage without is also correct.
-Erunámo -"Istyallo, Ilu."
Tamas Ferencz
Council Member
Send Message
I think this is a case where a paraphrase, a close approximation would get you further. You might look at attested verbs like nuhta-, pusta-, tap-, even maybe the early Q makseta-. I think pol- is an instransitive auxiliary verb and cannot be used to mean "make able, make fit" (there is the verb kamta- "make fit, accomodate" but I am not sure that totally fits [pun not intended] the purpose). Also, ua- is not a prefix, la- or ú- would be a better fit.
Interestingly, paralysis originally meant "loosening".

Maybe even torya- "strengthen" could be used with a negative prefix, to mean "weaken, enfeeble".

[Edited on 02/28/2018 by Tamas Ferencz]
Languages of Middle-Earth Community - Google Plus https://plus.google.com/u/0/communities/105957840800720660334
erutan2099
Council Member
Send Message
Actually, I did not know about the "loosen" etymology of paralysis. That sounds absolutely perfect for my purposes; fortunately there is a word for that - "lehta-".

Alternatively, "nuhta-" is a close second that seems to fit.

Thank you for your help.
-Erunámo -"Istyallo, Ilu."
Members Online
Print Friendly, PDF & Email