Welcome Guest 

Register

Author Topic:
GreenhillFox
Council Member
Send Message
Post About the fate of the elven Rings
on: April 20, 2018 11:16
I was reading about the rings that the Elves had made in Ost-in-Edhil.

The Simarillion explains that when the Elves became aware that Sauron had deceived them with his One Ring and that he would be master of them they took off their own rings.

We know what happened to the three unsullied ones, Narya, Nenya, and Vilya. But I was wondering whatever happened to all the others; I saw no details about their number nor final destiny there.

Also in LotR, Gandalf only vaguely referred to those: “The lesser rings were only essays in the craft before it was full-grown, and to the Elven-smiths they were but trifles – yet still to my mind dangerous for mortals”.

Is anyone aware of additional information, or does this constitute a dead end from there?

[Edited on 04/21/2018 by GreenhillFox]
'There’s something mighty queer behind this.'
Gandolorin
Council Member
Send Message
Kind of like the “How many wizards are there?” question. At least as far as Istari going elsewhere than the Arnor / Gondor region. And who were those not of the “five chiefs”. Were the One Ring and the Three Elven Rings the only Great Rings? So the seven for the Dwarves and the nine for mortals fall into the “to the Elven-smiths they were but trifles” category? (If anyone can find quotes in books to help it is of course Elthir.) In Appendix B, “c. 1500 SA – The Elven-smiths … begin the forging of the Rings of Power.” “c. 1590 SA - The Tree Rings are completed in Eregion.” “c. 1600 SA – Sauron forges the One Ring.” But “1200 SA – the smiths of Eregion are won over {by Sauron}.” So 1500-1590 the Elven-smiths created the nine, the seven, and The Three? Or only The Three? So at least for the period 1200-1500 they had plenty of time to also create “trifles” besides the 19 possibly comprising the Rings of Power (The One having been forged by Sauron alone, as The Three were by the Elves alone).

Looks like anything besides the named 20 is serious fanfic territory …

[Edited on 04/23/2018 by Gandolorin]
GreenhillFox
Council Member
Send Message
I do get the impression that M-E was a place where quite a lot could disappear: magic rings, some Istari, Entwives...!
'There’s something mighty queer behind this.'
Gandolorin
Council Member
Send Message
... some Took (and Brandybuck?) Hobbits who went on adventures before Bilbo, but didn't get the "... and back again" part right ...
Elthir
Council Member
Send Message
"The Nine, the Seven, and the Three," he said, "had each their proper gem. Not so the One. It was round and unadorned, as it were one of the lesser rings;..." The Council of Elrond

I don't know what happened to the lesser rings (can't remember any text that reveals what happened to them) ... if anyone in Middle-earth did!

Pre-edit read: "I was round and unadorned..."

[Edited on 04/26/2018 by Elthir]
Members Online
Print Friendly, PDF & Email