Register

Author Topic:
Fredudain
Council Member
Send Message
Post The Silmarillon
on: August 21, 2018 06:52
Hi

I can't wait a movie (A new trilogy?) about the Silmarillon.
Do you know something about it? (And not only rumors)
Peter Jackson would be perfect indeed.

Thank you

Fredudain
Fredudain
Gandolorin
Council Member
Send Message
Hi Fredudain,

a movie about the Silmarillion would be news indeed, and very new! Where did you read or hear about such a project?
Just to be sure, you're not confusing this with the announced Amazon TV series supposedly centering on Aragorn, and which is supposed to take place in the time between The Hobbit and LoTR?

There have been quite extensive discussions here (and on another JRRT site I frequent) about the feasibility (and desirability!) of a Silmarillion movie. Even if one were to limit it to the central part, called the "Quenta Silmarillion" in the table of contents, the time covered (600 years) and the huge cast of main characters, never mind supporting cast (the index of just names in my version is 53 pages long!!!) would be staggering. "Sensibly", a movie should concentrate on one of the three great stories in the Sil, "The Children of Húrin", "Beren and Lúthien", or "The Fall of Gondolin". These were published as self-contained books by Christopher Tolkien in 2007 and 2017 respectively, with the third one due to be published in just over a week. And only TCoH approaches a unified text, B&L collects the variant versions of the tale in a single book, while for TFoG we must await publication - but my guess is that it is far closer to B&L than TCoH.

And as to Peter Jackson, the opinions also vary widely. I'll skip The Hobbit as a movie which could only become a fanfic and concentrate on LoTR. As a rough approximation, one could say that those whose first experience with JRRT was the movie, and discovered the book later, are more favorable of PJ's efforts. While I belong to the book-first faction, and certainly could talk you into a coma about all the things PJ got wrong compared to "book canon", I think we could have done much worse than what PJ produced, for what I think are good reasons.
Evil~Shieldmaiden
Games Moderator, and Chief Corrupted Weaver of Vairë
Send Message
I believe that, while Tolkien himself sold the film rights for The Hobbit, and The Lord of the Rings, the film rights to The Silmarillion have not been sold, and remain in the control of the Tolkien family.
Members Online
Print Friendly, PDF & Email