Welcome Guest 

Register

Author Topic:
MisterUnterhill
Council Member
Send Message
Post Digging Down Deep
on: May 12, 2019 11:48
Is there a moment in any of the TLOTR films where something or someone is in a character's (esp. Frodo) way and they have to use a previous lesson or talisman to move forward? I've been thinking of The Phial of Galadriel and its use against Shelob, but I'm looking for other options. I'm working on a writing project related to the movies.

Thank you!
Gandolorin
Council Member
Send Message
Oh dear, it’s been way over 10 years since I watched any of my DVDs (Extended Editions). So, I’m not quite sue if PJ included the scene (it would be in Two Towers) where Frodo and Sam run into a web of Shelob’s blocking an exit, and which is almost impossible to cut away with Sam’s sword – while Frodo’s Elven blade Stings slashes through the web like a hot knife through butter. And at the end of Fellowship, where Frodo has to use the One Ring to escape Boromir – or for that matter Sam (in Two Towers) escaping the Orcs at the Tower of Cirith Ungol after he had just left Frodo behind after Shelob’s attack, dead as he thought, by putting on the One Ring. And … Frodo and Sam after sliding down the hill before the Black Gate (also Two Towers), and covering themselves with an Elven cloak from Lothlórien, which immediately looks like a rock, disguising them from the Southron who took a look to see what that clattering of rocks and pebbles had been all about. And, back to swords again, when Aragorn, Legolas and Gimli meet the Army of the Dead while travelling the Paths of the Dead under the White Mountains, their King taking a swipe at Aragorn with his sword, and being totally astonished that Anduril hurls back this attack (which few other swords would probably been able to do – perhaps Gandalf’s Glamdring and Frodo’s Sting). I think in the movie, the King of The Dead is flabbergasted that this sword is facing him, as for some reason he knows that it had been broken (how he got that information is puzzling), and Aragorn tells him it has been reforged (as Isildur's sword, with which he cut the One Ring (including finger) from Sauron's hand, it had been called Narsil).

[Edited on 05/13/2019 by Gandolorin]
MisterUnterhill
Council Member
Send Message
Wow. Thank you for thank you for that. A lot to chew on. Do you, by chance, know of a book that might be something of a layman's/beginner's guide to Middle Earth?
Gandolorin
Council Member
Send Message
„A layman's/beginner's guide to Middle Earth”. That may be the hitch. I have half a dozen books dealing with various aspects of JRRT’s work generally, but I have the feeling that they are for the “nerds” like me, for want of a better word. Taking “guide” to mean something like a lexicon or encyclopedia, there would be Robert Foster’s “The Complete Guide to Middle-earth”, or J.E.A. Tyler’s “The Complete Tolkien Companion”. Perhaps Tom Shippey’s “Author of the Century” (2000) and “The Road to Middle-earth” (3rd edition 2003) come closest – but both assume a fairly deep familiarity with JRRT’s works. Reading them before reading the books themselves would probably not be a good idea.
Members Online
Print Friendly, PDF & Email