Welcome Guest 

Register

Author Topic:
Nordor
Council Member
Send Message
Post Half-Elven How Long?
on: September 11, 2019 12:10
How long would be the lifespan of a true half-eleven? Earendil is the only prominent one. Dior had Maia blood as did Elrond and Elros whose bloodline was biased towards Elvish. Elwing got Earendil to cheat. How long might he have lived if he had remained in middle earth? Did Tolkien ever comment on this?
Gandolorin
Council Member
Send Message
You are correct in saying then in a strict sense only Eärendil was truly half-Elven and half-Human. But he was given a very special fate, and I don’t know about JRRT ever speculating about what his fate would have been had he not gone on that journey to Valinor. The only mixed elven-and-humans (with a dash of Maia) remaining in Middle-earth were Elrond an Elros. Dior and his two sons were dead, Elwing and Eärendil never returned from Valinor (except for Eärendil flying his hallowed ship with the Silmaril back to do in Ancalagon the black, greatest of Morgoth’s (winged) dragons, in the finale of the War of Wrath at the end of the First Age).
And Elrond and Elros, like their parents Elwing and Eärendil before them, were given a choice about to which of the two kindreds they wanted to belong, so apparently that half thing wasn’t allowed in some sense.
(Actuall the twins were 1/16 Maia, 3/8 or 6/16 Human, and 9/16 Elf. I could split the latter into Telerin, Noldor and Vanyar but I'll skip that.)
Elros chose human, and was allowed to live for 500 years; Elrond chose Elves, and had lived for 6520 years in Middle-earth when he left on a ship for the undying lands together with Bilbo, Frodo, Gandalf and Galadriel.
Members Online
Print Friendly, PDF & Email