Register

Author Topic:
CMS47
Council Member
Send Message
Post Translation request, please
on: July 04, 2020 10:44
Good day!

I am trying to translate the following phrases into Quenya and I'm not sure I have them correct.

Weeping Mountains -- Nyenyë Oronti

Or does "Mountains" go first - Oronti Nyenyë

Another version of that place name could be "Tears of the Mountain". I prefer that one, but I'm having problems making sure how to create "of the".

Tears - nië
of - an
the - i

So...Nië ani Oronti ?

Combined somehow? Oronti at the front, instead?

the Mountains, again, would be Oronti?

............next phrase (place name, again)-

Jewelled Lake - Mírëa Nendë (would that be one word?)

I apologize if I have completely butchered all this.. lol

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

dirk_math
Quenya Workbook Mentor
Send Message
A few remarks: nyenyë is the noun "weeping" (e.g. the weeping during the funeral).
To make the adjective "weeping" we need to depart from the verb nyéna- "lament" and change it into its active particple nyénala. And as you suspected it comes behind its noun, so weeping mountains = oronti nyénalë (the adjective in the plural as oronti is plural).

Quenya is a language with cases so "of the" is rendered by putting the noun behind it into the genitive case: oronto. So tears of the mountain = nier oronto (nier is the plural of nië). And as a side remark we don't use the article "i" before a genitive case noun. Oronto nier is also correct.

And jewelled lake is correct.

Yassë engë lómë, anarties calali.
ArwenLegolas
Realm Leader of Manwë Súlimo & CoE Volunteer
Send Message
Wow, I never reached your level of translation dirk math
Tiro nin Elbereth
Earwe
Council Member
Send Message
To make the adjective "weeping" we need to depart from the verb nyéna- "lament" and change it into its active particple nyénala. And as you suspected it comes behind its noun, so weeping mountains = oronti nyénalë (the adjective in the plural as oronti is plural).

I'm confused. The word order in Quenya is the adjective preceding the noun it describes — the reverse order is used if the adjective is part of a title, like in Elendil Voronda "Elendil the Faithful" (this order may be used in poetry). If the active participle is an adjectival word, shouldn't it precede the noun? Or the reverse order must also be used, or may also be used, in proper names?

we don't use the article "i" before a genitive case noun.

In the lesson on genitive, it is written: "Only one article is necessary in a genitival phrase. Both “hína i ataro” and “i hína i ataro” mean “the child of the father” (“the father’s child”)". So, although only one article is necessary, a second article (placed before te genitive noun) is allowed — as shown in the example i hína i ataro. Would this be wrong/outdated?

[Edited on 05/03/2023 by Earwe]
Members Online
Print Friendly, PDF & Email