Welcome Guest 

Register

Author Topic:
starofdunedain
Council Member
Send Message
Post The Hobbit: A Long-Expected Autopsy
on: March 18, 2021 12:44
Has anyone else watched this critique of the films on youtube? I had no idea all of this went on. I don't remember everything that went on back in 2012, I know I wasn't extremely thrilled about the Hobbit Trilogy and I felt that the movies were horribly off and knew there were probably forced decisions from the studios but I can't remember reading anything back then about just how awful things were. Although I probably wasn't paying much attention to it since I didn't care a whole lot.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uTRUQ-RKfUs
Lord_Sauron
Council Member
Send Message
I just watched the critique.
The Hobbit should of just been two movies instead of three
tarcolan
Movies Moderator and General Dogsbody
Send Message
A very thorough analysis of the many reasons that the trilogy does not work and could never have worked. The book was never meant to be a part of the Secondary World, but aspects of it seeped in to the story. The way that this can be reconciled is to see it as a short bit of a greater epic myth, suitable for children. There would also be other versions in song, as poetry and so on. Making a short children's movie would have been a great introduction to the world but instead it tries to match the greater epic and fails, being neither one thing or the other.

I started a thread in this forum attempting to outline an edit list for the three movies, and I managed to produce a watchable version of AUJ with no orcs! The second one was a bit more difficult and I gave up after that. Apparently there are a few fan edits of the trilogy around so I could've saved myself the bother.

[Edited on 03/22/2021 by tarcolan]
Members Online
Print Friendly, PDF & Email