Welcome Guest 

Register

Author Topic:
calenmarwen
Realm Leader of Lórien
Send Message
Post RE: What age are you and what education level?
on: May 30, 2008 02:09
I'm 19, 20 in November, and I'm in my first year of University, reading Archaeology BSc. Any other archaeologists out there?
Grade 3-6
0% (0)
Grade 7-9
25% (5)
Grade 10-12
24% (4)
College (age 18-25)
12% (2)
University (same)
17% (3)
Age 26-30
4% (9)
Age 31-38
5% (1)
Age 39-45
5% (1)
Older than listed above
5% (1)
Why should I even tell you how old I am? *growls*
1% (3)
"There is more in you of good than you know ..."
Lady_Tiriel
Council Member
Send Message
on: June 30, 2008 05:14
Michaela, I'm with you! Go 14-year-old Sophomores! :disco:
Council Member
Send Message
on: July 18, 2008 11:34
I'm 18. I dropped out of highschool my last year to go to ballet school and finish my training. GED soon!
FredGaelwynn
Council Member
Send Message
on: October 16, 2008 07:57
I got a degree course in English.
I teach French and Engflish in a vocational school in southern France.

I am a lotr fan... So are my students!
LightElfRowena
Council Member
Send Message
on: October 22, 2008 04:39
i'm 21 and a sophamore in my 2 year community college. Going to graduate next year and transfer to a four year university.
Hravan
Council Member
Send Message
on: October 25, 2008 11:43
I'm 17 (18 in June) and I'm in my last year at college. Also known as Year 13 or Upper Sixth or Second Year... College is technically a sixth form college but everyone just calls it College rather than Sixth Form...
Will be going to university in September 2009.
Erucenindë
Head Of Oromë
Send Message
on: November 04, 2008 12:02
16 and in college. i was homeschooled, and was able to graduate 2 years early.
Merides
Humor Admin
Send Message
on: December 10, 2008 07:49
Go Homeschoolers! Me too, Eruceninde!

I'm now 21, and in a local community college.
Mirach
Council Member
Send Message
on: December 10, 2008 10:37
22 and this is my last year of university *sigh*
Passepartout
Council Member
Send Message
on: December 12, 2008 11:53
I'm in 9th grade. 15 years old. I would be 15 in 10th grade, but I was born in October so I had to wait a year before I got into kindergarden.
Elfalas
Council Member
Send Message
on: December 12, 2008 01:40
I'm a proud junior and I'm 17. XD I still don't drive!! lolz =P
Sambart
Council Member
Send Message
on: January 16, 2009 01:27
I am in 10th Grade but because I live in England I leave school this July and start college in Spetember =S
Scary =[
tpkyteroo
Council Member
Send Message
on: March 15, 2009 06:47
I'm 44 and graduated with a Social Science degree with concentrates in Sociology, Criminal Justice and History.
Donry
Council Member
Send Message
on: March 23, 2009 04:53
I'm 35. I didn't finish my degree, however, I took a couple years of History at university.
Nessa Sindanarie
Council Member
Send Message
I'm 14, nearly 15. I dunno what grade I would be in America, but here I'm year 10, 4 years away from going to university.
''I don't know half of you half as well as I should like, and I like less than half of you half as well as you deserve!'' - Bilbo Baggins of Bag End
Mellwen_Bronwewen
Council Member
Send Message
I'm 13, turning 14 in September. I'm in 7th right now (yeah, I'm behind), but I'm going into 9th this fall.
“That there’s some good in this world, Mr. Frodo… and it’s worth fighting for.” – Sam “Even the smallest person can change the course of the future.” – Galadriel
findemaxam48
Council Member
Send Message
16 years, driving, and 8 days away from being a junior (11th grade).

Aw, Mell will be a freshman!

We were one in the same, running like moths to the flame. You'd hang on every word I'd say, but now they only ricochet.
PSK
Council Member
Send Message
I've got no idea about the US system, so...
"Tears unnumbered ye shall shed; and the Valar will fence Valinor against you, and shut you out, so that not even the echo of your lamentation shall pass over the mountains." ~ The Doom of Mandos
findemaxam48
Council Member
Send Message
Freshman- Grade Nine
Sophomore-Grade Ten
Junior-Grade Eleven
Senior- Grade Twelve

That is for high school. Everything else is the same for the other grades, I think, from the US to UK and back system.

To stay on topic...

*waves* I am almost 17, halfway through my Junior year in high school, and planning on four to six years of college.
We were one in the same, running like moths to the flame. You'd hang on every word I'd say, but now they only ricochet.
sol_anor
Council Member
Send Message
I'm 25 and graduated with a Bachelor's in Spanish and English education last year. I'm hoping to start working on a Master's in Spanish education this summer
Above all shadows rides the Sun and Stars forever dwell / I will not say the Day is done nor bid the Stars farewell. Image
findemaxam48
Council Member
Send Message
sol_anor, I am studying Spanish in school! I hope to study it some more in college.
Gandolorin
Council Member
Send Message
Let's just say my qualification for the Fans Over Forty thread exceeds a decade.
I graduated from high school on Long Island, NY in 1973. Image
Went to college in New Hampshire for just over two years, then headed back to Germany to rejoin my parents, who had gone back home about eight months earlier. My chemistry major had just bombed, so I'm a college drop-out.
My "degree" would mean nothing to you, it is to be achieved in an educational path that may practically have been limited to Germany. Austria and perhaps Switzerland may have something similar, I'm not sure. The Basque region of Spain adopted it some time ago, and the unemployment rate among young people there is below 10%, instead of almost 50% in the rest of Spain (may have gotten better, I'm certainly not up-to-date on this). But I have good arguments for my opinion that it is the equivalent of a bachelor's degree from the average US college.
The subject is business administration, and I have been in commercial project management for over thirty years.
Pimpernel_Took
Council Member
Send Message
I'm 19 and an undergraduate physics student at University of Bergen, Norway, hoping to get an exchange semester in Germany
elfmaiden77
Council Member
Send Message
Nessa Sindanarie said:I'm 14, nearly 15. I dunno what grade I would be in America, but here I'm year 10, 4 years away from going to university.

You're the exact same as me. It is 8th grade in the US.
ItarildeSirfalas
Council Member
Send Message
I'm 23 and a second-year student at the University of Leeds in England. I study Radiography, I'm hoping to do a Masters in Forensic Radiography after I graduate. I'm also trying to get my year abroad experience in either Norway or France depending on my funds
Image Image
"Yet such is oft the course of deeds that move the wheels of the world: small hands do them because they must, while the eyes of the great are elsewhere." ~ Elrond ♥
Hanasian
Council Member
Send Message
on: March 03, 2015 07:39
On on: August 02, 2003, Arvedui said: Wow! I have kids older than many who posted in this thread!

I'm 45 and am a grandfather. I did attend a two year technical college, and have been a working stiff since 78. I was glad to see some elder folks posting here!

Here, I quote me from my 1st account on Council of Elrond. In the 12 years since, I can add that I'm still a working stiff, my three kids have had kids, and I have a granddaughter the same age as many who are joining (14).

Oh yes... education.... full 12 years of school, 2 years of Technical College, then OJT, self-taught, and classes paid for by the company I worked for. I have to thank my dad, my uncle, and my auto-shop teacher in High School for teaching me some very useful skills that I have used, adn still use in life!

[Edited on 03/05/2015 by Arveleg]
Eighth King of Arthedain - It was in battle that I come into this Kingship, and it will be in Battle when I leave it. There is no peace for the Realm of Arnor. Read the last stand of Arthedain in the Darkest of Days.
Eruwestiel_Evensong
Council Member
Send Message
I'm 19 and finishing my senior year of high school. I decided to hold back a year to be sure I finished everything properly.

No plans for college yet but that is subject to change. It looks for the present that I will be at home for possibly another year, furthering my education on my own. I am sure there will be plenty to keep me busy here, with taking up beekeeping and tending to our extensive summer gardens.

[Edited on 03/08/2015 by Eruwestiel_Evensong]
"And I dreamed of seas and ships, and of waves crashing on the shore in the twilight of the world..." ~Song, member of the Realm of Ulmo
Evil~Shieldmaiden
Games Moderator, and Chief Corrupted Weaver of Vairë
Send Message
Like Gando, I'm a member of the Over 40 club. When I graduated high school, a college education wasn't as essential as it is today so I chose not to go to university.

Instead, I went to work for an insurance company and was trained from the ground up. Eventually, I achieved a high management position. One of the highlights of this, my first career, was spending the day on the floor of Lloyd's of London watching the Special Risk underwriters at work. I'm proud of the fact that the quality of my work, and my insistence that women were just as capable as men of assessing the kinds of risks faced in unusual type of insurance opened doors for other women in was was, at that time, an "old boys" brigade.

When I decided I wanted to do something less stressful, I trained as a Medical Office Assistant and started my second career. Initially, I worked in an Emergency Medical Clinic handling all kinds of injuries, including one where a fellow tried to take his leg off with a chain saw. I enjoyed it immensely but wanted to go into a family practice clinic and, when I was offered a position by two of the physicians who worked at the Clinic, I jumped at the chance. I worked there for 17 years performing a number of duties including: some "nursing" type jobs, as well as medical transcription, and office management.

I should mention that throughout my working career I was mentored by a number of extraordinary people who were not only generous with their time and information, but who were interested in me, personally, and were willing to take an active role in helping me realize my full potential. I will be forever grateful to all of them.

To paraphrase Mark Twain: I did not allow schooling to interfere with my education.

[Edited on 02/02/2016 by Evil~Shieldmaiden]
Eruwestiel_Evensong
Council Member
Send Message
E~S, thank you so much for sharing your story. I am seeing more and more that one does not have to get "higher education" in order to be successful. Sometimes it can end up being a cause of more problems for some people when they finish and have to deal with debt and finding a job. A fair amount of people end up doing something entirely different than what they got a degree for. For example, my mom majored in graphic design and ended up being a stay at home mom and teacher. My dad got a degree in elementary education and is now in retail.

This is not to discredit the importance of further education, because it is definitely necessary for many fields. I think the problem arises when kids go to college/university (with no real goals or aspirations) because they feel they have to.
"And I dreamed of seas and ships, and of waves crashing on the shore in the twilight of the world..." ~Song, member of the Realm of Ulmo
findemaxam48
Council Member
Send Message
Song, I absolutely agree. My mom is in the same position as your dad.What I hate though, is when I tell someone my aspirations and they tell me that I cannot acheive them, because what I want to go into is "too competetive." It is, but I have been planning for years on how to go into it and how to tackle it when the time comes. And it is not far off for me.

So, there is my bit of personal opinion.
Eruwestiel_Evensong
Council Member
Send Message
I absolutely agree with you, Maxie. And people saying you can't succeed in your dreams and shouldn't even try... that goes completely against everything our nation is founded on. The world as we know it would not exist if the great thinkers of the past had bought into such lies.

Anyway, back on topic.
Gandolorin
Council Member
Send Message
Evil~Shieldmaiden said: To paraphrase Mark Twain: I did not allow schooling to interfere with my education.

Amen to that! Samuel Langhorne Clemens was, is, and will very likely remain for a very long time, the US's greatest philosopher. And then he was an awesome writer besides that.
findemaxam48
Council Member
Send Message
I wonder if we can get a thread just called Education?That way we can discuss such topics that we have brought up more in depth.
Eadburga
Council Member
Send Message
on: December 10, 2015 07:05
Donry said:I'm 35. I didn't finish my degree, however, I took a couple years of History at university.

Haha, this is awesome, Another 30+ member here!! I am 32 and didn't finish my University studies either, but has a part-time job as a freelance musician!!
~I aear can ven na mar~
dirk_math
Quenya Workbook Mentor
Send Message
52, PhD in maths
Yassë engë lómë, anarties calali.
Members Online
Print Friendly, PDF & Email