Welcome Guest 

Register

Author Topic:
OlorinTheWhite
Wandering Istari
Send Message
Post Any Gandalf Fans?
on: February 19, 2003 05:41
I was just wondering if there was anyone on here who really likes Gandalf or any of the Istari! I can't find anyone who really does.
goldberry
Council Member
Send Message
Post RE: Any Gandalf Fans?
on: February 19, 2003 01:29
I generally like all the characters.I do like Gandalf,love the power and authority he exudes and the respect he commands and has from everyone.Dont like how movie Gandalf talks to Pippin tho,a little mean I feel. I like Sarumans arrogance . It was a shame Radaghast (sp.?) was not in the movie.I know,he only played a small part in the book,but still.
OlorinTheWhite
Wandering Istari
Send Message
on: February 19, 2003 03:41
I wish Radagast would have been given credit for Gwaihir at least, Gandalf "telling a moth" or whatever to go find him was kinda weird. But I guess for a movie there were enough characters as is, so I can understand that he's not mentioned!
ShyHobbit
Council Member
Send Message
on: February 19, 2003 03:52
Gandalf is awesome! When you first see him on screen you can see the warmth and love that he has for life, especially the hobbits. He's just someone you'd feel safe with Although he does tend to get cranky sometimes, it just wouldn't be the same without Gandalf
Rudhwethiel
Council Member
Send Message
on: February 19, 2003 04:53
I cannot wait to see Gandalf in RoTK - in that book more than the others he realyl shines. In spite of his wizardness (original word there) people tend to see him as a tired old man. In RoTK he proves that he is true and hard as steel. Gandy has such a wonderful heart too- in spite of his gruffness and impatience you can tell he truly loves the hobbits. Mithrandir gets my vote any day :heart:
Karin
Council Member
Send Message
on: March 07, 2003 06:25
Gandalf is my favourite character in the books and I think Ian does a great job in the movies! Nice to see that there are some Gandalf-fans out there.
Katraen
Council Member
Send Message
on: March 11, 2003 09:19
Dont like how movie Gandalf talks to Pippin tho,a little mean I feel.

I think that's so we see the contrast between Pippin in LotR and RotK. Pippin makes quite a journey between those two parts of the story and in the movies I'd imagine they'd want to be very clear as to exactly how much Peregrin Took grows up, matures, if you will. So if Gandalf is a little short with him, if he treats Pippin like a naughty child for sending the Dwarf helmet down the well, that will only contrast nicely with the respect he will have for his "coming-of-age" in RofK.
Just my 2 dracmas.
And Gandalf? Ooooo, I'm definitely a Gandalf fan. I remember when I first read the books - my copies are the paperbacks with Tolkien's illustrations for covers - I thought it was Gandalf's story! All about Gandalf. It's such an amazing work. It's everybody's story, really.

I see Gandalf as the core, the heart of the story. He knows all the characters and touches them all, at one point or another.

And if you mean Ian McKellen, I'm definitely a big fan. What an incredible actor! And, he seems like a very nice man as well.

[Edited on 12/3/2003 by Katraen]
Plantagenet
Council Member
Send Message
on: March 12, 2003 08:43
I love Gandalf!! He's like the ideal wizard!!!
LadyPunk
Council Member
Send Message
on: September 04, 2003 02:20
Gandalf is sooo cool!! I love him in the movie and book! I'm glad to find other fans of Gandalf! I actually dressed up like him for a favorite charater day at school! I had the hat beard and all! I like him so much because he's a wizard and I love wizards..but he's my favorite wizard! I actually play a wizard ever time I play D&D (Dungeons and Dragons role playing game if you didn't already know.) Anyway...Once again Gandalf's awsome!
Ersulwen
Council Member
Send Message
on: September 05, 2003 04:41
I love Gandalf!! He's like the ideal wizard!!!

YEAH!!!!! HE`s the BEST!!!!!!
Eloise
Giver of Smores
Send Message
on: September 05, 2003 05:39
I love Gandalf, but strangly only as gandlf the grey. I mean, I still like him in TTT and ROTK but I prefer him as grey. He just seems mor ehuman, he makes more mistakes and for some reason, I prefer that.
I'm also a big fan of the blue wizards! For me they are the thing in Tolkien's writings that I wish he had writen more about.
Annúnagar
CoE Volunteer
Send Message
on: September 06, 2003 10:29
Yay! Gandalf's fans live! Long live to Gandalf's fans!
Gandalf is my favorite character from the books and the movies.When I first read LoTR trilogy I got amazed with Gandalf's character, he's so wise, reflexive, intelligent, noble, and he has a cool humour sense...his personal humour sense, that I love!:love: He's got a great heart too, he's always afraid of Frodo's fate and cares about the most 'weak' folks. He always has a word of hopeness and relief...
Ian Mckellen is Gandalf, that's just what I've got to say about him!
And I'm sure I'm forgetting a lot of virtues that Gandalf has.
Thank so much for this topic, mates, you have made me remember how much I love this character! :love:
LegolasMorkwood10
Council Member
Send Message
on: September 09, 2003 02:22
I like gandalf he is cool
Lady~of~the~Shield~Arm
Council Member
Send Message
on: September 11, 2003 05:23
Gandalf... Finally, a thread about one of my favourite Characters! The first time I saw him in the FotR, I started to admire him. And the scene in the Mines of Moria (read: "I wish none of this had happened, I wish the ring had never come to me.." "So do all who live to see such times, but it's not for them to decide.. All we've got to decide is what to do with the time that is given to us.." etc.etc.) he made my flesh creep! I really Love him.
HobbitFriend
Maps student, site patron and supporter
Send Message
on: September 11, 2003 04:51
Oh I like Gandalf! So wise, so fatherly. When he revealed his identity to the trio in Fangorn Forest I almost wept. Sooo cool! Grey or white, he's alright! Yes, McKellen IS Gandalf.

Metternich
Council Member
Send Message
on: September 13, 2003 08:23
This is the casting forum. So if this thread is asking whether or not I like Sir Ian Mckellan's potrayal of Gandalf...

DEFINATELY!!!!
Eloise
Giver of Smores
Send Message
on: September 17, 2003 08:13
I think the reason Ian Mckellen is so great as Gandalf is the look in his eyes. When he talks to Frodo or one of the other hobbits they always seem to have a fatherly twinkle. Then when he's fighting the balrog he looks so determined and fierce its quite frightening. I actually can't imagine anyone else playing Gandalf, he's so good!
Goldsand
Mystic of Ithilien
Send Message
on: September 18, 2003 11:08
I love Gandalf also. I agree, I can't imagine anyone other than Ian McKellen as my favorite wizard. He is pretty much how I visualized Gandalf when I read The Hobbit a long time ago (didn't read the other books until after the movies). Since reading that book, I have always carried within me the image of Gandalf as my own "inner wizard", so to speak ... meaning spirit guide or the higher consciousness that we all have within ourselves.

[Edited on 19/9/2003 by Merenwen~Goldsand]
Council Member
Send Message
on: January 30, 2004 06:40
I also love Gandalf. Since I've been here, on this forum, I have found out some things about him that I didn't know before. I loved the part where he rides to Helm's Deep with the sun behind him. There's another scene that touched me. On their way to Rhohan, Aragorn tells Gandalf that Sam went with Frodo. The tone of his voice when he says, "Good, yes. Very good" was soothing.
sephra
Council Member
Send Message
on: April 12, 2004 05:16
There's a guy from school that has a major crush on Gandalf! na lol he doesn't really, we like to think that though lol! p.s i luv dom
RivendellMaiden
Council Member
Send Message
on: April 12, 2004 11:07
I like Gandulf. I really liked his performace in ROTK.
WhiteDragonfly
Council Member
Send Message
on: April 15, 2004 08:58
I really like Gandalf. He is such an amazing character. He's not hot, but he's totally amazing! GO GANDALF! :disco:
shemerin
Council Member
Send Message
on: April 15, 2004 09:34
YAY! Gandalf is the best character in The Hobbit.:love: His best scene in ROTK is when he rides out on Shadowfax to rescue Faramir's retreating army. I hadn't read FOTR before seeing the movie, so I didn't know that Gandalf came back as Gandalf the White in TTT, so I was really sad!:cry:

GANDALF FOR PRESIDENT!!
WhiteDragonfly
Council Member
Send Message
on: April 15, 2004 01:34
GANDALF FOR PRESIDENT!!

hahaha! cool! I want Gandalf to be president!
Springie
Council Member
Send Message
on: November 30, 2004 07:43
Gandalf is awesome!!! He is definitely my favorite character after Aragorn and Eowyn :love:
And Sir McKellen did a great job depicting him! His Gandalf is exactly as I imagined him to be. Perfect!

Oh, and can anyone enlighten me how to pronounce the name "Ian"? (English is not my native language...)
Child_of_Lúthien
Council Member
Send Message
on: November 30, 2004 09:03
I'm actually a big fan of all of the characters for different reasons. Gandalf is definately one character at the top of my list. He especially got my favoratism after RotK. He was amazing in that movie!
ruinithil65
Council Member
Send Message
on: January 06, 2005 10:21
I'm a huge fan of Gandalf's character in the books, but I think he was too wimpy in the movies. He's so smart and powerful and he has a really cool staff I really wish Radagast was in the moives though Too bad there wasn't enough time
gandalfthewhite2005
Council Member
Send Message
on: March 15, 2005 04:57
Gandalf Rules!!!... Nuff said!!! I think my username, pic & sig say it all!! Gandalf is the best!!! Not to mention, Ian rocks as well, we can't forget about him!! :disco:
Captain_Abigail
Council Member
Send Message
on: January 13, 2008 10:45
Gandalf is one of my favorite characters! i like him very much, he's so wise, good hearted and clever. I especially love his words "All you have to decide, is what to do with the time that is given to you". It's absolutely wonderful! That line makes me cry in the movie. I also like how he's fighting! He has very beautiful voice too
FollowerOfGandalf25
Council Member
Send Message
on: January 28, 2008 11:29
I love gandalf to bits.:love: I also like gimli. I love the way they are well suited to their characters They are such cool guys and I certainly wouldn't mind having them around.
Elfeawen Lomiondil
Council Member
Send Message
I love everything about Ian as Gandalf. I particularly like his voice. I read the books long before seeing the movies, but you cannot convince me that Gandalf's voice was not McKellen's back when I first read the story.
"There shall be war between the Children of Iluvatar and the Ainu Melko. What if we perish in our quest? The dark halls of Vê be little worse than this bright prison" ~ Fëanor
Gandolorin
Council Member
Send Message
Well, just look at my Avatar!

And also yes, Sir Ian McKellen is now my vision (ahem) of Gandalf!
Warrior Maiden of the Dunedain
Council Member
Send Message
I really like Gandalf, too. I especially love his costume when he comes back as Gandalf the White. We went to a convention where they had some Lord of the Rings swords on display, and I got to see and hold his white sword. Such a magnificent blade.
fool_of_a_took_12
Council Member
Send Message
I love Gandalf! He is wise, powerful, and has a grandfatherly kindness about him, especially towards the hobbits. I like Gandalf the Grey slightly better than Gandalf the White, but overall Sir Ian McKellen did an amazing job.

And also, he gave me my name- (Fool of a Took! )
Lembas! One small bite is enough to fill the stomach of a grown man!
Gandolorin
Council Member
Send Message
I remember reading somewhere that (Sir) Christopher Lee had once hoped to be able to play Gandalf in A LoTR live-action movie. Lee had once stated that he had read the books every year since they were published in 1954/1955, so he was certainly knowledgeable about them besides also obviously being a fan. But by the time principal photography started in October 1999 (YIKES!), Lee was already 77, while (Sir) Ian McKellen was “only” 60 – ouch!!! That’s two years younger than I am now! (And it has been over 16 years since Fellowship premiered … Image ). Anyway, Lee felt that he was by then no longer up to some of what the role would have demanded of him.

Now I’ve seen some of his Dracula films, so that probably biases my opinion, but I felt that Lee was pretty much perfect for the role of Saruman. And of course McKellen just nailed Gandalf to perfection. The only one I would set besides Lee and McKellen would be John Rhys-Davies as Gimli. Davies is also the actor I feel the most pity for, for two reasons: I believe he was the one who had the most massive prosthetics in the LoTR trilogy – and to make matters worse, he suffered from an allergic reaction to it, something that they managed to sort out for The Hobiit trilogy – just a tad lat for poor John. And his role suffered from PJ & Co. just dumping excessive comic relief stuff on the character of Gimli – something that they repeated with the Dwarves in TH. I’m certain Davies would have been able to invest his Gimli with the necessary grimness and indomitability that would have been true to the book character.

Gandalf, Saruman, Gimli. Maybe because they are, as characters, so firmly entrenched in the world of faerië / high fantasy, it was easier for PJ & Co. to resist tampering with them (except for the comic-relief overload), while all other characters (including Elves) are just too close to ourselves for them to resist the temptation to – inappropriately, I think – “modernize” them. I do not blame any single actress or actor, they fulfilled PJ’s vision of Middle-earth (a fanfic to various degrees throughout the six films), which he created by being a co-writer and the director. It’s just that none of the others, each for their own reasons, ever “became” their roles as much as these three for my feeling.

And last Gandalf (and with him McKellen) is the only major character who is front and center in all six movies. As, in the secondary world of Middle-earth, he is the main, unswerving, and ultimately lethal enemy of Sauron. But he did it with methods that are so agonizingly relevant and needed again today against not “real Saurons", for whom there neither is nor was an equivalent in the real world, but against legions of “Sarumans” that have plagued us since, well, the “end of the Third Age.”

[Edited on 06/03/2018 by Gandolorin]
Members Online
Print Friendly, PDF & Email