Welcome Guest 

Register

Author Topic:
AvalonEstel
Council Member
Send Message
Post RE: Vote now for your Favorite unjustly forgotten Character!
on: November 26, 2004 07:28
yes, i think i did read somewhere that one of the elves holding up the banner was Glorfindel. apparently he's on one of the cards.

He's on one of the cards?! I wanna see! I'm currently a Glorfindel (call him by a strange but widely used nickname: Glorfy; search for every page he's on in the books and read it; try to find out everything possible about him...etc.) I love Glorfy! I didn't know that they cut him out of the movie because I watched it first, then read the book, but I must say that Arwen made a pretty good replacement! However, no one beats my Glorfy! (huggles Glorfindel) Wow, and I get tired of Leggy fangirls... They're rubbing off! :nono:

j/k!

But Glorfindel rocks! I also would have liked to see the twins, and Tom would have been fun... I liked Tom...
Elrohir
7% (1)
Elladan
6% (1)
Glorfindel
44% (8)
Tom Bombadil
25% (5)
Goldberry
2% (5)
Old Man Willow
2% (5)
Other - and who
13% (2)
LadyEowyn_Of_Rohan
CoE Volunteer
Send Message
on: November 28, 2004 01:40
I'm glad Tom Bombadil wasn't in the movie. I like him, but because he's such an enigma PJ's Tom Bombadil would probably be nothing like the way most Tolkien fans imagined him. We'd probably be at each other's throats in a few days.

I voted for Glorfindel. He was awesome; I really missed him. :sob: I like Gildor just as much, but I mostly like him for what he says, and I don't really care if it's stuck in the movie or not.
Child_of_Lúthien
Council Member
Send Message
on: November 29, 2004 11:08
I thought Goldberry would be a very interesting character to have seen in the movies. I'm somewhat disappointed they left her and Tom Bombadil out.
Moonwalker
Council Member
Send Message
on: December 04, 2004 02:10
Oh....and one who I was really waiting for was Mouth of Sauron.
Well...I'lll see him in Extended Edition DVD .
sairina_star
CoE Volunteer
Send Message
on: December 04, 2004 06:39
I'm glad Tom Bombadil wasn't in the movie. I like him, but because he's such an enigma PJ's Tom Bombadil would probably be nothing like the way most Tolkien fans imagined him. We'd probably be at each other's throats in a few days.

Come to think about it I think you're right, LadyEowyn_Of_Rohan. Whoever would cast Tom Bombadil will probably have different ideas and PJ as well. I guess it's best to leave Tom out of the movies and for each of us to have our own mental picture.
VorondilTheHunter
Council Member
Send Message
on: December 06, 2004 03:01
I voted other because I really wanted to see either the Mouth of Sauron or Imrahil.
The Mouth because he brings the message that Frodo is "already captured"
Imrahil because Gondor looked too weak in the movie. With Imrahil's leadership, we could have seen Gondor actually fight instead of getting smashed by trolls, fell beasts, catapults, orcs, etc. The movie made it seem like the Oathbreakers and the Rohirrim did all the work.
i_am_the_precious
Council Member
Send Message
on: December 07, 2004 11:37
i miss elrohir and elladan. i reckon if tom bombadil was in it it might not appeal to as many people as they may think a singing man who talks to trees a bit odd. i still love him tho!!!
Fawlen_Peredhil
Council Member
Send Message
on: December 11, 2004 11:11
Definetly Glorfindel athough i think the twins should of also been present but you can't have everything :sob:
TezzlesOfIthilien
Council Member
Send Message
on: December 23, 2004 02:44

Imrahil because Gondor looked too weak in the movie. With Imrahil's leadership, we could have seen Gondor actually fight instead of getting smashed by trolls, fell beasts, catapults, orcs, etc. The movie made it seem like the Oathbreakers and the Rohirrim did all the work.

i know! i always loved imrahil. he always seemed like such a good leader. and i always imagined him having this awesome costume for some reason . and ,of course, PJ didn't put it in: :angry:
Ventia
Council Member
Send Message
on: December 23, 2004 06:55
*thinks about it*
well, i think i'd have to say arwens brothers, since i like them both equally. i think tom shouldn't have been left out, but come on, it's not like they had endless time to show the movies, so they had to cut SOMETHING off...
diendrial
Council Member
Send Message
on: December 23, 2004 07:56
I voted other.
I missed seeing Radagast the Brown! Gandalf knows this other wizard quite personally and it would have made more sense in his rescue from Orthanc. It also would have confirmed that there were other powers, not just evil, working in this world...as Gandalf had told Frodo-I mean, since he had influence over the birds and eagles and other creatures of the world, having him playing a part could have enforced the concept that not only was Sauron destroying men and their homes and a few ents here and there, but that he was an enemy of all of life on earth.

JMHO.
diendrial

[Edited on 10/04/03 by diendrial]

[Edited on 10/04/03 by diendrial]
EruanwenSaeriel
Council Member
Send Message
on: December 24, 2004 04:57
I think Beregond and his son would have been nice but would have slowed down the action. Also Elrond's sons.
lngtmfnoflotr
Council Member
Send Message
on: December 26, 2004 05:28
Glorfindel defiinitely, though I also agree with Prince Imrahil being necessary to the battle parts of the story as well. (It's a good thing I have the book!)
Shire5
Council Member
Send Message
on: December 26, 2004 11:04
Alright, I picked Glorfindel. I wish they had kept Glorfindel where he belongs after Weathertop when he gets Frodo to Rivendel. It drives me bonkers trying to figure out why PJ put Arwen there instead of him. :cry:
sairina_star
CoE Volunteer
Send Message
on: December 26, 2004 11:13
Yes, I agree, Shire5. But, if PJ didn't then Arwen would have a very small part and people wouldn't know much about her. Than she wouldn't become important. I think PJ did good by not putting Glorfindel but I would have loved to see him in it.
Eruantalincë
CoE Volunteer
Send Message
on: December 26, 2004 02:54
Besides, if Glorfindel would have been in the movie, he would have such a small part (only the saving of Frodo by giving him his horse), that *imo* it would not be worth the effort to introduce him somehow.

I think it is ok the way it is now, but if I would have to make a choice, I think I would vote for Beregond or Bergil. It would be nice for Pippin to have a friend in an unfriendly place. But I am glad that the script writers gave some of Beregond's lines to Gandalf (like "it's the deep breath before the plunge") and Denethor ("say not that he has fallen", after Faramir returned wounded), so he would not be forgotten totally.

I thought about Imrahil too, and it would be nice to see him, but I suppose that Aragorn was surrounded by his friends all along, so another friend would make the story more complicated to tell.

[Edited on 27/12/2004 by Eruantalincë]
sairina_star
CoE Volunteer
Send Message
on: December 26, 2004 02:59
Besides, if Glorfindel would have been in the movie, he would have such a small part (only the saving of Frodo by giving him his horse), that *imo* it would not be worth the effort to introduce him somehow.

Yes, I think you're right, Eruantalincë. It would probably be sort of like a waste of time and not worth it. It's better of reading it then seeing it.
Freemason_Fortunato
Council Member
Send Message
on: December 26, 2004 07:23
I chose other! now for the who and why... I think I missed a lot of the characters. certainly all those listed and more. but the one I missed the most was Halbarad... I really liked him even though his role was minor.
atheniel_
Council Member
Send Message
on: December 26, 2004 11:32
lol if I didnt know any better, I'd believe that. Poor Glorfindel, but you cant say they didnt have a reason for leaving him out of the movies. They had to establish Aragorn and Arwen's relationship...

I voted fer Tom Bombadil. He's cool. Do you realise just how many characters were left out of the movies? There are heaps of unjustly forgotten characters- if i had my book here i'd name all of them
Rilain
Council Member
Send Message
on: December 27, 2004 04:06
Bergil and Beregond! It was them who saved Faramir, as well as Pippin and Gandalf! I so wanted to see a kid in this... I missed Elladan and Elrohir and Glorfindel too... Go peredhel!

[Edited on 28/12/2004 by Rilain]
gnome
Council Member
Send Message
on: December 28, 2004 02:04
Definitely missed Elladin and Elrohir. I mean, come on! They could've at least put them in the coronation scene!!!!!!!!!!!!
GRRRRRR!!! I almost can't believe I'm still upset over this!
~*sniffle-sniffle*~
flyingarrow
Council Member
Send Message
I agree, the twins need to be in there, but since I can't vote for both of them, I'll go with Glorfindel. Now I have read many a fic where Glorfindel is a 'bad elf', but I like to think he is very good. If they had put him in the movie, he might not have a 'bad elf' reputation in the fandom world. I feel so sorry for him.

"I am burdened with glorious purpose"

Lindarielwen
Council Member
Send Message
I voted for Glorfindel. He wasn't in the movies but his words and actions were.
My destiny is riding again, rolling in the rain, unwinding in the wind. My destiny is fighting again, secretly unwinding..what it was I was supposed to say...to say to you today.
Elfeawen Lomiondil
Council Member
Send Message
flyingarrow, I never heard that Glorfindel had a "bad" reputation. Why would anyone do that? Every time he's mentioned he's doing something heroic.
"There shall be war between the Children of Iluvatar and the Ainu Melko. What if we perish in our quest? The dark halls of Vê be little worse than this bright prison" ~ Fëanor
ItarildeSirfalas
Council Member
Send Message
I voted for Elrohir, mainly because I seem to prefer him out of the twins, and because I couldn't vote for both! Why weren't they at least a bit part in the coronation, or seen in Rivendell! It makes me sad
Image Image
"Yet such is oft the course of deeds that move the wheels of the world: small hands do them because they must, while the eyes of the great are elsewhere." ~ Elrond ♥
Gandolorin
Council Member
Send Message
Resurrection of a thread after more than ten years! Is this some kind of record?

I only want to comment that Old Man Willow is, in a sense, in TTT. The scene has Merry and Pippin, and Treebeard, who speaks the very words of Tom Bombadil. So different time, different place (Fangorn instead of the Old Forest), different being of power calling the unruly tree to order - a transplant, so to speak.
findemaxam48
Council Member
Send Message
*Hits button for Glorfindel thousands of times*

Have you heard of these fan theories?

-In RoTK, there are two Elves reforging Narsil. Two Elves with dark hair. That are the same height. Elladan and Elrohir?

-When Aragorn kisses Arwen in RoTK, there is a blonde Elf standing behind Elrond, who grins broadly at the same time Elrond tears up at the sight of Aragorn and Arwen. Glorfindel?

Thoughts?
We were one in the same, running like moths to the flame. You'd hang on every word I'd say, but now they only ricochet.
Edhelharn
Council Member
Send Message
Glorfindel!

Findemaxam: Now that you mention it... I didn't notice about the elves reforging Narsil. Though it seems unlikely that Elrond's sons would be that learned in blacksmithing.
Image Image Love is the strongest force the world possesses - Mahatma Gandhi
Estelanor Of The Shire
Council Member
Send Message
I love the theory that it was Elrohir and Elladan reforging Narsil!! I think it was quite likely that they have the skill to fix Narsil, since they are Elrond's sons and he has probably taught them many of his skills. I expect most elves can make weapons, but it seems especially fitting that Elladan and Elrohir should be the ones to reforge Narsil.
And to add to what Gandolorin said about Tom Bombadil, he is also referenced (in a sense) in "Into The West", the song at the end of ROTK. In the ROTK book, it says on the second to the last page:
" And the ship went out into the High Sea and passed on into the West, until at last on a night of rain Frodo smelled a sweet fragrance on the air and heard the sound of singing that came over the water. And then it seemed to him that as in his dream in the house of Bombadil, the Grey rain-curtain turned all to silver glass and was rolled back, and he beheld white shores and beyond them a far green country under a swift sunrise." (One of my favorite quotes from the book, by the way )
The movie reference to this scene is in the song where it says :
" The ships have come to carry you home. And all will turn to silver glass. A light on the water, grey ships pass into the West."
I love how the song fits so well with that description!
May it be when darkness falls, your heart will be true..
Elfeawen Lomiondil
Council Member
Send Message
I also love that theory. I was already high fiving myself about seeing Noldor in action; its even better to think they may have been Elrond's sons. I would love, love, love to see them in the movie, even in a tiny role. I wish Beregond had been in it, and the extremely creepy barrow wights, although the High Fells partly made up for that. Having said that, I have no hard feelings about leaving them out. The cast was large already and I liked the portrayal of my favorite characters. The only thing I was sad about was when I watched AUJ and thought Lindir was Elrohir. Then I realized the twins were probably out nailing orcs with Elrond!
"There shall be war between the Children of Iluvatar and the Ainu Melko. What if we perish in our quest? The dark halls of Vê be little worse than this bright prison" ~ Fëanor
flyingarrow
Council Member
Send Message
So, I re-watched the scene of Aragorn and Arwen kissing, and saw your 'Glorfindel" I really think he is cool!

flyingarrow
Council Member
Send Message
And in my opinion, Tom Bombadill is so hard to understand, I really don't like him.

Elfeawen Lomiondil
Council Member
Send Message
I won't argue that he is unjustly forgotten, but ever since seeing BOTFA, I've had an irrational wish to see Thorin III Stonehelm.
findemaxam48
Council Member
Send Message
There are so many characters that are left out. Even more sad is that only fans of the books will get to know them.
We were one in the same, running like moths to the flame. You'd hang on every word I'd say, but now they only ricochet.
Estelanor Of The Shire
Council Member
Send Message
But there are so many characters included in the movie! I wish Celebrian, Elrohir and Elladan had squeezed in there somehow, but I can always read the books, and then imagine them into the movie. I think Sir Jackson and his amazing crew did a remarkable job handling such a large cast.
May it be when darkness falls, your heart will be true..
Members Online
Print Friendly, PDF & Email