Welcome Guest 

Register

Author Topic:
Hanasian
Council Member
Send Message
Halbarad and the 30 Rangers, and Elladan and Elrohir.
Elrohir
7% (1)
Elladan
6% (1)
Glorfindel
44% (8)
Tom Bombadil
25% (5)
Goldberry
2% (5)
Old Man Willow
2% (5)
Other - and who
13% (2)
Eighth King of Arthedain - It was in battle that I come into this Kingship, and it will be in Battle when I leave it. There is no peace for the Realm of Arnor. Read the last stand of Arthedain in the Darkest of Days.
flyingarrow
Council Member
Send Message
Hey all you Glorfindel fans, I got a thread just for him in the casting forum!

"I am burdened with glorious purpose"

kerno_baggins
Council Member
Send Message
I chose old man willow. Small part, but I think that it would a really neat scene both visually and as a "we're not in Hobbiton anymore" feeling.
Captain Boromir
Council Member
Send Message
I chose Bombadil but Halbarad and the rangers would have also been cool. I also would have liked to see Glorfindel.
Gandolorin
Council Member
Send Message
I went through all posts here again (and once again noted the jump of over ten years between gnome's post on December 28, 2004 and flyingarrow's post on May 21, 2015 on page three), and got a feeling that this discussion, being carried on by obvious fans of the books, would probably totally mystify those movie-goers who have not read the books - or had not done so before seeing the movies.

And also there's the knowledge we have gained through volumes six through nine of HoME, "The Return of The Shadow" to "Sauron Defeated", and in my case specifics pointed out by Tom Shippey. In his opinion, JRRT only really got the LoTR settled on what was to be done with the Council of Elrond ( ). Before that, he was trying to write a sequel to TH, and was kind of wandering and meandering. One point I remember is that besides Elrond's "Last Homely House", Frodo had to be "dug out of" four previous ones: Bag End, - oops, five? Farmer Maggot's place? - Crickhollow, Tom Bombadil's house, and the Prancing Pony at Bree. And Tom Bombadil was always an anachronistic character, having nothing to do with JRRT's older mythology, to be published posthumously as the Silmarillion, UT and HoME.

And now, with PJ's TH trilogy of films behind us, the question about "unjustly forgotten Characters" gets seriously stood on its head! Spontaneously, I would venture the guess that there are far more LoTR characters, or those from other parts of the legendarium (the "immense appendices" to LoTR accumulated over the decades, as I may have posted elsewhere) in TH the movie than are characters actually mentioned in TH the book. And then Tauriel, Alfrid, ...

I've just (yesterday) finished TTT and will go on with RoTK tomorrow for my umpteenth reading (I've stopped counting, but twenty cannot be far away, less than a handful). Once again, I find myself growling at PJ for totally mishandling some characters. My personal bĂȘte noire is and will always remain his utterly brain-dead incompetence in understanding Faramir (OK, he's not solely to blame, the scriptwriters were a troika - but personally too close and thus vulnerable to a scourge called "group-think" ). But having also watched the appendices to the movies in the EEs with intense interest, I have the impression that it could have been (much?) worse. Maybe JRRT experts and Sirs Christopher Lee and Ian McKellen rapped PJ's knuckles often enough - and he also knew LoTR enough himself to realize when they were right. Maybe he realized that there were simply too many tens of millions of book readers out there that he could not enrage without seriously damaging the commercial prospects of LoTR the movie trilogy. It could have been far worse if other Hollywood(head)ians had done it.

[Edited on 07/21/2016 by Gandolorin]
Members Online
Print Friendly, PDF & Email