Welcome Guest 

Register

Author Topic:
LadyEowyn_Of_Rohan
CoE Volunteer
Send Message
Post RE: Literature Questions?
on: May 12, 2004 12:13
OK i herd(for the FEoTR EE) some one say that elves don't fell cold and heat ( then i read that they do feel heat) dose any one know if elves do feel cold and heat???

They do feel it, but they aren't affected by it like mortals are: in FOTR when the Fellowship is trying to climb Caradhras, Legolas just sort of runs around, unaffected by the cold.

I'm too lazy to look it up, but wasn't the cold a problem with crossing Helcaraxë?
Figwit
Book Club Moderator & Misty Mountain Monster
Send Message
on: May 12, 2004 11:33
Wasn't it really really really really cold there?
Morwinyoniel
Gallery Admin & Realm Head of Estë
Send Message
on: May 13, 2004 06:45
I wouldn't think this spoils anything from the LOTR...

Elves tolerate cold better than humans, but are not immune to it, and can even die of hypotermia. It comes out in Unfinished Tales, in Of Tuor and His Coming to Gondolin, from the words of his elf guide Voronwë:
"Ill is it to be trapped between the Doom of the Valar and the Malice of the Enemy", said Voronwë. "Have I escaped the mouths of the sea but to lie under the snow?"
"No other choice have we", said Voronwë, "unless it be to lay us down here and seek the snow-sleep."

[Edited on 13/5/2004 by Morwinyoniel]

[Edited on 13/5/2004 by Morwinyoniel]
LadyEowyn_Of_Rohan
CoE Volunteer
Send Message
on: May 15, 2004 08:44
Elves tolerate cold better than humans, but are not immune to it, and can even die of hypotermia. It comes out in Unfinished Tales, in Of Tuor and His Coming to Gondolin, from the words of his elf guide Voronwë:
Oh, sorry. That's what I thought, about Elves tolerating cold better but I think I interpreted someone's comment as "Elves don't feel cold/are completely immune to it[/i].
Sorry! (Running off to buy Unfinished Tales now! Yay!)
lanelas
Council Member
Send Message
on: December 19, 2006 06:53
well, thinking again about this question, I suddenly remembered that Meduseld is the name of the Great Hall in Beowulf which is an old Danish poem - so there you go

No, the name of the hall in [/i]Beowulf[i] is Heorot. Though the Rohan are very much like the ancient Danes in that story. [/i]Meduseld[i] means "mead-hall". Heorot I believe has something to do with the stag horns that might have hung above its entrance.
Members Online
Print Friendly, PDF & Email