Register

<< First45678
Author Topic:
rivindell_magic
Council Member
Send Message
Post RE: Dark Elf (see OCC) Keep
on: January 06, 2005 05:45
(Thank you guys for writing with me! Live rp is a wonderful thing !!! Newra...I hope you like what we did. We left it so you could have somewhere to start!)

As they approached the cave, Goldie held the fur around Bruinen's collar. Since they did not know what they would find, she did not want him dashing into the blackness alone.

She glanced up at Alagos who was in front of her but said nothing. He had hardly spoken in the last few days although he did seem to be recovering from his injury. Before him was Eöl and in front of him was Alijan, leading them into what, she was not sure she wanted to know unless it was to finally see Eöl's sister.

Carefully she stepped along the rocky path that led into the cave and listened to hear any noise coming from the black abyss.

Eöl looked back at Goldie, smiling slightly. His face did not betray how excited he was, yet also a shiver of fear ran through him as they walked into the cold darkness.

“This is it, muin nîn,” he whispered.

He didn’t know why, but it seemed in the utter silence, save for their echoing footsteps, they should only be whispering, But he was right…this would be the day they would find Tari…if she was even here.

Of course this is it, or I wouldn’t have dragged myself down here,” Jan replied tightly, “I hate being underground…. so If we could just get this over with that would be great.”

Her kitten poked its head out of her back with a little mew. Like her owner she hated to be underground. Jan batted at her and the little head instantly retracted into the confines of the pack. Jan smiled and gestured for the other to follow her down a path that was set off the main tunnel.

“That way leads to almost certain death at the hands of a squad of Orcs,” she told them. ”And from now on there must be absolute silence.”

'Orcs!' Goldie thought, and with her other hand she unsheathed Findë. It was the only time she had ever wished she had Bruinen on a leash. And, as if on cue, he whined a little from being held by her.

'I should have left him outside but it is too late now. If Tari IS here, we had better find her and run like --' but the rest of her thoughts were interrupted as Alagos stopped abruptly in front of her and she bumped into him.

Alagos stopped and peered into the darkness, and Eöl turned his eyes to where the older ellon was looking. He squinted, and listened even harder.

Jan glared at him and listened just as intensely. Eöl looked between them before he heard footsteps coming from up ahead. With a jerk of his head he scattered them to let the group of guards go by.

“This is where it gets tricky,” Jan muttered darkly. ”The guard shifts change every few hours, so unless we want to wait until after dark I suggest we go now.” She looked at them all as if to ask what they thought.

Goldie peered around Alagos. "We go now!" she whispered intently. "I do not wish to wait here any longer, or return later! This place is dangerous!" she finished, dragging Bruinen along with her, standing now between their leader and Eöl. In the faint light of the torch on the wall above them, she could see the excitement in both Eöl's and Jan's eyes. She hoped her eyes were not showing her fear.

Alagos nodded along with Jan. To go now would ensure their safe passage…in a way. “Lets move out,” Jan said. Running quickly but quietly they emerged into a large open hall with doors along its outside. Eöl looked to her, his eyes showing confusion.

Alagos growled and glared at her. ”You really don’t know where you are going do you?” he asked hotly. ”All this time you have been guessing where to go and which door to take.”

This prompted an angry glare from Jan who had been trying to think. ”If you think you’re so smart then why don’t you tell me which door?”

"We have no time for this! Alagos, please, let her think and make the decision! She knows this place better than you do!" Goldie whispered even more intently than before, although she was out of breath from their dash down the tunnel.

Yet again Bruinen tried to break from her hold on his fur but she quickly gathered even more into her hand and held on firmly. Findë glimmered in the torchlight and Goldie shivered,

Alagos snorted and backed off, brooding. “I just hope she doesn’t get us killed.”

Jan and Eöl glared at him. She noticed the whining Bruinen and turned quickly toward Goldie. “Do you think he can find the right door?” Jan asked, ”I have it narrowed down to around three.” Jan pointed to the three she had mentioned. "Try those."

'Yes, but he has nothing of hers to smell..." Goldie said, the disappointment apparent in her voice.

Eöl approached Goldie and held his hand down in front of Bruinen. "I must smell something like her..." he said while they watched the wolf sniff his hand.

Goldie then led Bruinen to the first closed door, but he did not stop. They moved down to the second door where he hesitated for a moment but then he abruptly pulled away from his mistress's grasp and dashing down to the third door he stopped in front of it where he began to whine.
Newra
CoE Volunteer
Send Message
on: January 07, 2005 11:03
Eöl placed his hand to the door Bruinen was barking at, but just at the same time they heard a scuffling down the hallway, apparently from another room they had not noticed. They heard a shout. It was not from a orc.

Jan turned to face him. "There were more prisoners here," she said softly, “other than your sister.”

Eöl thought for a moment, his eyes tightly closed. "The rest of you go and see. I think whatever's in there you can handle it. I want to check out this room....to see if there is anything in here. Tari may have been in there...no telling whether she still is."

"I don't think-" Alagos started.

"Please," Eöl said. His mind was racing, his thoughts reeling. He needed to be alone, if only for a moment. He didn’t even know what his reaction would be if he did see his sister… Alagos nodded reluctantly, and with one last glace from Goldie and Jan they went off. Eöl took a deep breath and pushed the door open.

It was silent at first, and very dark. He stepped inside and heard a sharp intake of breath. It sounded like a woman. A voice came from the still darkness.

“There is a torch mounted on the wall right next to where you stand,” she said calmly.

Eöl thought to himself as he found the torch and struck fire to it. The voice was female, yes, but seemed older than he imagined Tari would sound. Like she had aged inwardly, though her voice quality was still young. When the light was steady he took it off its mount and walked to where he had heard the voice, his grey eyes searching in the darkness. Almost without realizing how close he was to her, he looked up and she was directly in front of him.

It was a woman, clearly an elf, who was almost his own height. She appeared to have grayish hair, though not like in the manner of aged humans. It seemed to sparkle, like silver against her pale, thin face. It was youthful, yet her grey eyes were old. They pierced his deeply. It was then he saw that she was chained to the wall by both her wrists. The area around the bonds on her wrists were red and raw.

As she looked into his eyes, they widened for a moment and a soft gasp escaped her lips. “It cannot be…” she said, looking harder at him. She seemed almost frightened for a moment. But then she blinked hard and shook her head. “No,” she whispered to herself.

“Hiril nín,” he said gently. “I am Eöl.”

“What?” she asked sharply.

“Eöl, the son of Thranil, who fell in war, and Avanya, who has sailed for the Undying Lands,” he replied. She seemed confused about him, but as he spoke the agitation in her face melted away. She shook her head.

“No, you are far too young. And he has been dead for….so long.”

“Who has?” he asked.

“Eöl,” she replied. “The Dark Elf.”

Eöl eyebrows flew up. “The father of Maeglin?” He paused for a moment. “Yes…I am a descendant of Eöl.”

She didn’t seem at all surprised. “You look like him,” she said softly.

“Eöl?” he asked.

She shook her head. “I never knew Eöl. You look like Maeglin.”

He furrowed his brows and bent closer to her. “You knew him?”

She nodded, closing her eyes with a sigh. “I did……tell me, do you know the name of your grandmother?”

Eöl thought for a moment. “Nienna,” he said. “And her husband was named Lith.”

“Yes,” she said. “Then I am right.” She paused for a moment. “Lith was the son of my sister. You are my kin.” Before he could reply to her, she continued. “You are here looking for the young girl, are you not?” He nodded, still trying to take it all in. “She looks like my sister looked. She shows much of our Noldorin blood .”

“Tell me,” Eöl said, breaking in. “Tell me about that, about, you, about Tari, about-”

“There isn’t any time,” the woman said. “They’ll know you’re here soon. He’s been keeping your sister here all this time- if they know you have it they’ll stop at nothing to-”

“What?” he interjected. “What, if I have what?”

She looked into his eyes deeply. “You don’t know…of course…” she whispered. “Then you must be told,” she said simply.

“I was on a journey- I cannot go into detail now, for there is no time. I lived in Norgothrond, but was at the Falls of Sirion at that point in my travels.

“From nowhere appeared to me a woman. Either floating a ways above the ground or very tall, I could not tell. She had a piercing, sharp face, but beautiful nonetheless. Her raven hair swept around her ivory face, and her eyes were as black as night. Suddenly the wind stopped and I was face to face with the woman, though only she was clear. I could focus on nothing but her, all else seemed distant. Her long, straight hair now fell limp, and you could have heard a pin drop for the silence. She was as thin as a pine, and taller than my Ada had been. She smiled softly for the first time, but it was sad. Suddenly, I knew she must be one of the Gods. I fell to my face, clutching the grass; terrified.

“She told me many things which I will not recount to you. She gave me a stone she had made, with the aid of Ilúvatar himself. She said I would need it someday…or one of my kin would. I didn’t know what she meant at the time, but when Alatar found us….I don’t know how he did.”

“Wait,” Eöl said. “Alatar?”

“Alatar…he was of the Istari…he disappeared for so long. His heart has become wicked. His desire for power has grown so much…I do not know how he found out about Valond.” Seeing he was about to interrupt her again, she explained. “Valond is…” She paused. “The stone hanging round your neck. It has great power. But it can only be used if its owner knows of its great worth. It will make you strong. Stronger than you can imagine. Here, test it out,” she said, showing the first hint of a smile he had seen on her face. She nodded to her shackles.

Eöl examined them, puzzled. They seemed to be made of tough iron and metal, colors swirled inside the dark mixture. “I’ve never seen anything like this…”

“I know,” she said. “It was made by Aulë to hold Melkor.”

“Angainor?” he asked.

“Yes.”

“But that cannot-”

“It can, my son,” she said, softly. “Alatar has discovered more secrets of the world than even I could ever hope to learn. And I am near as old as the sun, compared to you at least. But now you know of Valond. Can you feel its power within you?”

He closed his eyes, struggling. Trying. He placed his hands firmly around the shackles and felt a surge of strength run through him. They broke like brittle wood. He stepped back, dumbfounded. She smiled at him as she stepped away from her bonds.

“You can call me Rána,” she said. “We need to find the others. They have probably discovered the room they have Tari in by now. It’s just down the hall.”

Still curious and fascinated by this beautiful, old, and strong elf woman, Eöl strode out of the room, smiling as she raced to the opposite side of the room and grabbed her belongings. A sword, which had the appearance of being very old. An orc bow, and a crude quiver filled with arrows. Eöl led the way as they raced from the room.

[Edited on 7/1/2005 by Newra]

[Edited on 11/11/2005 by Newra]

[Edited on 11/11/2005 by Newra]
NenyaGold
Legend of Lothlórien & Head Chocolate Thingywidget of Yavanna
Send Message
on: November 17, 2005 10:02
((OoC: After almost a year of busy lives and writers blocks and well, life in general, here we are up and running again! Thank you Newra and RM!!! :hug: I *so* want to see Tari rescued!!! :heart: ))

Eöl and Rána made their way out into the hallway where the others were standing outside a door. Eöl immediately took Goldie’s arm and leaned close to her. “This is Rána," he said to her, right away. Goldie looked back at him with a slightly raised eyebrow. Eöl continued. "She knows of Tari...oh mellon nîn, you would not believe half the things she told me!”

"But Eöl is Tari close?" Goldie protested. "Can we rescue her and leave now before the entire Orc contingent decides they want to keep her? And maybe add to their collection with us in the meantime?" Goldie asked, happy that Eöl had found an accomplice but concerned for all of their lives. They had lost the Orcs for now, but she knew they knew these tunnels well and would regroup and find them soon.

Eöl knew Goldie was probably right...but he was nearly bursting out of his skin with excitement at the moment. He was so close to finding Tari- he just knew it! He smiled at Goldie. Rána looked around, surveying the faces of the group. To Eöl, she looked so fearless. Rána turned back to look at them.

“Eöl, if you wish to find your sister, listen to me,” she said firmly but softly. "I do not know what exactly will await you beyond this point...but your strength will be needed," she said to him, glancing at the shimmering blue stone on his neck. Her steely silver eyes pierced his and he nodded, unsheathing his sword- wanting to be prepared.

Goldie glanced at Rána and then looked up at Eöl. "Go! We will wait here for your return and keep the Orcs at bay. "

Eöl smiled and nodded at her, then Rána pointed him through the door that she believed led to his sister.

As Eöl walked through the door, Rána looked back at the others for a moment. Then, letting her grey eyes wander, looked over all the shadowy cave that was visible. Her hand flew to the hilt of her sword as she heard a noise from somewhere deep in the tunnels.

After a moment of careful listening, Rána relaxed. The noise was far off, and not seeming to make any further progress in her direction. She turned her direction instead to the people around her. The girl with the fiery hair spoke in a low voice to another woman and Rána closed her eyes- recognizing the voice. After a few moments of thinking, it clicked in her mind. That woman had been the other captive. She had stayed in the caves for a brief time, but they had moved her elsewhere. Apparently her luck had greatly improved, and young Eöl’s company had a falling-in with the orcs.

The woman to which the red-haired girl spoke was youthful, with golden hair, but had an air of solemnity about her. She had the look of experience, and almost a little weathered- though she was still very lovely. This woman was the one to whom Eöl had spoken after they had come out of the prison-room, though he had not mentioned her name. Rána approached the woman slowly, looking her over cautiously.

“Greetings,” she said, softly. “Where is it that your company is from?” she asked. “You must have traveled long to find this place.”

"Mae govannen," Goldie addressed the woman tentatively. As she scrutinized her she wondered how Eöl knew her and at his luck finding her here and now, maybe in the nick of time. "We left Imladris a month ago, But for a short rest in Mirkwood, we have been traveling since," she explained while listening for Orcs with one ear and Eöl returning with his sister with the other.

Watching Bruinen, knowing that his hearing was far better than hers, she relaxed slightly when he stopped pacing and lay down beside her. She took a deep breath and sighed heavily, willing Eöl to hurry.

Alijan had noticed the other woman looking at her strangely and once things had settled she walked over to her with a question in her eyes.

“Pardon me if I am being a bit forward, but I couldn’t help but notice the look you were giving me earlier,” She said quietly so the tunnels wouldn’t carry the sound. “Do I know you? You seem so…” She paused for a moment trying to find the words. “familiar.” She finished lamely.

Rána looked over the red-headed girl and nodded slowly. “You were held here as a prisoner, for a while,” she said calmly. “So was I. I glimpsed you a few times, and again when they were dragging you off. I hoped that no harm would befall you.” She looked back at the woman Goldie with a twinkle in her grey eyes. “You seem to have fallen in with good company.”

Any response someone would have made was cut short by a jarring noise somewhere not far off, and a few snarling orc voices. Rána’s hand tightened around the hilt of her sword, Luvier. One of the women in the company breathed a soft, “Oh no.” Backing into the shadows of the hallway, Rána released her sword handle and instead brought out her bow and fitted an arrow to it in a quick, fluid motion. They couldn’t run…they had nowhere to run. They could only wait for the attack of whatever was coming down the hallway, and hope the orc numbers didn’t outweigh too greatly the numbers and skill of their own group.

Alijan, who was about to reply, silently drew her sword and took a ready position beside Rána watching the passage tensely. When the first orc cleared the corner it stopped confused at the sight of its prey. With a grunt it started toward them and Alijan looked at Rána. “ Are we going for the full assault or picking them off one at a time?”

"One at a time and NOW!" Goldie hissed and let her notched arrow fly, striking the Orc where he stood. Several others came through and their hesitation at seeing their comrade on the floor gave Rána, Goldie and Alijan a chance to kill them before they could advance.

Goldie counted ten as they fell, then no more came and all seemed quiet. Was it the end of their harrowing adventure and Eöl would return shortly with his sister? Or just the calm before the storm?
Newra
CoE Volunteer
Send Message
on: November 18, 2005 07:15
The old wooden door creaked as Eöl pushed it open, his Elf-eyes wide as he walked into the darkness. He closed the door behind him, and realized that he was in another tunnel-like hallway. It was narrow, for he could touch both walls with his arms spread apart. But looking down the hallway he could see a dim shaft of light. Taking slow, careful steps, he followed the light. As he got closer, he saw that it was a strip of light coming from underneath another door. It flickered and moved, as though it were a lantern or candle. He put his hands on the door, taking a deep breath. Pressing his ear to the door, he could not hear any movement or voices. He stayed like that for several minutes, just to be sure. Nothing. He tried the knob…..locked! A small rush of panic swelled inside, but he stopped it. He would not panic. He couldn’t let himself lose his head. Taking a deep breath, he thought. Instinctively he touched Tari’s blue stone on his neck. Hoping his idea would work without causing attention to where he was, he leaned his body heavily against the door so it wouldn’t shake or rattle. Grabbing the knob with both hands and gritting his teeth, Eöl yanked it off, surprised at how much easier it was than he had expected. Poking his fingers into the hole where the knob had been, he undid the latch and pushed the door open.

The room was small. Against one wall was a wooden box with a rusty lamp- the flame flickering softly in the quiet darkness. On the opposite wall was another door- its latch chained to the wall. In the back corner was a heap of dirty blankets. Eöl stepped closer, and saw that there was a woman curled up under the blankets, sleeping.

He knelt beside her and pulled the filthy cloth away from her face. Her lovely face was smudged and scraped, and her youthful brow was creased. There were white tear-stains running down the dust on her cheeks. Her soft golden curls were matted. She moved slightly, a soft moan escaping her full lips. Her small white hand clenched. Eöl took her hand, un-prying it gently, and held it in both of his. Gathering up her slender frame, he sat under her so she was half in his lap. As he brushed a tendril of hair from her face, she gasped and sat up, instinctively scooting to the wall, burying her head in her knees.

“I told you,” she gasped, her voice muffled, not looking up at him. “I don’t know where it is!” She started crying brokenly, rocking herself back and forth.

Eöl’s heart broke to look at her. “Tari…” he said softly.

Her head shot up, her blue eyes open wide. She stared at him for a moment, then her lips opened slightly in shock. “Eöl…?” she whispered softly. He smiled at her, and her eyes lit up. She flew into his arms, holding her arms tightly round his neck. “Eöl!” she cried again, pressing her face into his neck, and he felt her tears on his skin.

Holding her in his lap, Eöl rocked her back and forth silently, his eyes tightly shut. His heart broke at how thin and pale she was. “Im hí, muinthel nín,” he murmured. “I’m here to take you home.”

Tari shook her head in disbelief- and Eöl saw her smile. He had forgotten how beautiful her smile was. “I cannot believe it is you, muindor nín,” she whispered. She shook her head again, her mouth slightly agape. It seemed that she could not find any words.

Eöl felt the same way. How long had it been since he had last seen his beloved young sister? How long had it been since he held her in his arms, as he did now? Years…so many years. It didn’t seem real. He had traveled so long, and fought so much doubt and fear. Now his goal was accomplished, in his eyes. Eöl held Tari for a long time, unable to move for the joy in his heart. He heard a rumble of some creature from another place in the caves, and a frown flickered over his face. No…the rescue was but half over. He still had to get Tari, himself, and his company out of harm’s way…out of this foul cave.

He looked at Tari, and she nodded back to him, understanding. “It will not be easy to get of here, Eöl,” she said gravely. “I cannot believe you managed to get in here in the first place! There are so many foul things about. And it is so far removed from all else…” He saw a hollow remembrance of pain in her blue eyes. Her fair young face was shadowed with memories it should not have held.

Eöl shook his head. “I did not come alone. Many others came with me.” He listed them all, and told of their most recent companion, Alijan. He described her, and Tari nodded.

“Yes, the woman with the red hair, I remember her. Well, at least, I think I do. Once I heard her kicking up a fit.” Her eyes twinkled. “That’s why they took her away; she was causing too much trouble . Though I couldn’t guess where. I am so glad she is alive and well.”

“Indeed. We rescued her, as a matter of fact.”

“How very valiant of you!” she said, laughing.

He smiled, touching her cheek gently. “We will get you out of here. But I hope you have at least a small knowledge of the workings of this place… We have already been detected, I fear. There is no way we can escape. We shall have to leave as victors.”

"What?" Tari cried, grabbing his arm. “Eöl, you cannot be serious. Alatar is not to be trifled with.” She stopped briefly, and then opened her mouth again, looking as thought she was about to explain something to him.

He covered her mouth with his fingertips. “Avo- I was told already by Rána.” She cocked her head to the side and furrowed her brows questioningly. “The imprisoned woman, with silver hair,” he said, though his description of the elleth sounded so plain. She was one of the most remarkable looking woman he had ever encountered.

“Oh, yes,” she said softly. She looked back into Eöl’s eyes. “Alatar was keeping her here because he believed that she had information about a certain jewel that he’s looking for. We were chained in the same room for many days.” She paused, her gaze flickering downward. “She wouldn’t speak to me about anything, she wouldn’t tell me if she did know anything.”

“She was trying to protect you,” Eöl guessed aloud. “She did know a great many things about this jewel.”

“She told you?” Tari asked.

Eöl gave a soft smile and pulled the necklace out of his shirt. Tari smiled at first, when she saw the stone she had given him so long ago, and then gasped. “Oh, Eöl! It is not that, is it? It cannot be!” Eöl nodded, affirming that it was. “But it is just a pretty stone. Do you remember when Mama gave it to me?” she said, smiling in remembrance. He nodded. Oh, if she only knew how many times he had replayed the memory in his mind. How many memories he had replayed since Tari had been taken…

“She told me its history. It is a very special thing, muin nín. I did not know if it, ‘til I met her.”

“Is she still imprisoned?”

“No. I found her and broke the chains.”

Tari’s blue eyes widened. “Broke them?” she cried in disbelief. Obviously Tari had been aware of the extreme rarity of the metal chains- though he was sure she had no idea of the exact truth.

His eyes twinkled. “I told you the stone had great power. Now come, we must get out of here. There will be time for talk later.”

Tari grabbed his arm tightly as he stood up, looking pleadingly into his grey eyes. “Eöl, please. I cannot take more of him…more of this place.” More of the smell, more of the sounds, more of the pain. She looked as though she was about to cry. “Please, let’s just try and get out, without confronting him. I know we might have to…but what if something happens to you? To one of your friends? Promise me we can try and get out, undetected, before you march into battle like a hero. You don’t know what it is you say.”

He could not resist her pleading, heartbreaking, gaze. What she said was true enough. It would be easier on Tari if they tried to avoid further confrontation. She had been through enough already. Eöl didn’t even want to imagine what tortures she had withstood.

BANG.

Tari jumped and clung tighter to Eöl’s arm. A loud metal clang resounded in the deepness of the tunnels. Eöl strived to remain calm for Tari’s sake, but he felt his own breathing get quicker and shallower. Another thud sounded, this one closer.

“Eöl…”

Eöl walked softly to the door and peered out the hole where the doorknob had been. He heard further noise…this time the familiar sound of orc voices. They were moving in the opposite direction, however, sounding very agitated.

Oh Eru, keep the rest of them safe…

Eöl felt more relaxed as the sounds moved further off, when suddenly vibrations from the ground and clamoring voices started coming from the opposite end of the dark, dank hallway. It took him but a moment to register. He flew across the room and took his sister’s hand. “Is there another way out of this room?” Tari blinked. Eöl grabbed her shoulders and bent his head to look directly into her eyes. "Tari. Is there another way out of this room?”

“It’s locked,” she stuttered, pointing to a small door in the corner of the room, about half the height of a man. Eöl strode over and assessed it quickly. It was obviously locked from the inside. Bracing himself against the door with one arm, he reared back and slammed his body into the door, and with a crack and a moan it fell to the ground. Grabbing Tari again, they raced into the blackness.
rivindell_magic
Council Member
Send Message
on: December 16, 2005 06:32

Rána strung an arrow to her bow in a flash, following Goldie's lead, and let it fly straight into the grisly forehead of a squealing orc. Sneering, she strung another arrow. Orc after orc, from her bow, from others. Her breathing got heavy, her vision red. Her vision hadn't gone red.....since she couldn't remember when. But all she could see in her mind's eye... was her father.

Jan looked over at Rána with a surprised look on her face as she headed into the fray, careful to keep out of the way of the arrows. Her sword flashed and soon there were few orcs left, and those she left to Rána and her bow.

With the fighting finished Jan leaned back against a wall, nursing a cut on her arm. She looked over at Rána and motioned her over with her head. "Hey Rána, where did you learn to fight like that?" she questioned.

Glancing first at the red-haired woman’s arm to see that she would be all right, Rána smiled wryly. “I was born in Nargothrond of Beleriand,” she answered- realizing for the first time in a long time that, to the person she spoke to, her home country was ‘ancient history.’ “I grew up learning to wield a sword and bow.” Her voice quieted significantly as she revealed one more piece of information. “I have fought in many battles, Alijan. I was there at the Fall of Gondolin.”

Quickly changing the subject, Rána looked back into the young woman’s eyes. “What of you?” she asked. “I have not seen many elleth fight in the way you fight. There is something unique about it. Not entirely Elvish.” Her eyes twinkled with amusement as she waited for Jan to answer.

Jan smiled slightly. "It's not. I took the Elvish style and molded it with the fighting style of the Rangers. It suits my needs, and it gives others something to wonder about."

She finished wrapping her arm and leaned back slightly so her back was resting against the wall. "You said that you were from Nargothrond." She stopped to think for a moment. “I’ve heard of it- that it is very, very old. You certainly should make your people proud to have carried the heritage for so long, and through so many hardships. If we get out of here alive I would very much like to have you teach me some of your fighting style, it looks like it is useful in tight situations like this." Jan stopped and listened for a moment to make sure that no stray enemies were about. "How exactly did you come to be here?”

Rána smiled slightly when Alijan spoke of ‘making her people proud.’ Rána, during the earliest years of her life, had always wondered of her unspoken heritage…of the true bloodline which she belonged to. By the time she had found out the truth, it didn’t even matter. World certainly had changed since then, by the Valar. Her heart ached at the memory of her life in Beleriand. But shaking her head ever so slightly, now, to revive her thoughts from the past, she ran her calloused fingers through her silver hair.

“It was by mere chance, as far as I can tell. I have not had a real home in a very long time. I was journeying through a very barren northern land when orcs came upon me. I slew enough of them to cause their wrath to come full upon me, yet I was only one woman. Unbeknownst to me, I was just outside this fortress. They just kept coming…and coming…” Her drifting grey eyes locked back onto the young face of Jan. Leaning back against the dirty stone wall, next to Jan, she folded her arms over her chest and a wry smile crossed her lips. “They finally managed to subdue me, but instead of killing me, they took me in here. I suppose news of my presence had rushed back here to the Lord of the Fortress, and he wanted to question me.”

"He wanted to question you?" Goldie echoed the woman's words as she listened to their conversation. To herself she wondered, 'What information would she have that he would want?'

Rána nodded grimly. “Yes, I was brought before Alatar. I was shocked to see a Maia in such a state. Saruman was bad enough, so I hear, but Alatar has simply degenerated. Like a wizened old man. Crooked to his heart.” She laughed. “Perhaps he had tired of being forgotten by the world.”

Chuckles circled the room. Rána continued: “Yet his wit has not lost any of its power. He has managed to track down some whereabouts of Valond…which I never dreamed would be done.” She continued, due to the questioning glances, and murmurings of curiosity. “Valond…is a powerful stone of magic. I was given it long, long ago- under circumstances too lengthy and complicated to be repeated here and now. I passed it down to my nephew, having no children of my own, and it finally arrived in Eöl’s care. Because Alatar had gleaned information of it, and wanted its power for himself, the magic in the stone began to work- I could feel it in my heart.” She looked from face to face. “Did Eöl make any mention of this?” she asked. “Did he understand what it was he carried?”

Goldie remembered back to the few times Eöl was not himself.

"He was acting rather strangely. We first thought it was from the cold, or the stress from his need to find Tari. He said he was having visions yet would discuss them little..." the Ranger replied, understanding a bit more about this stone he wore, its power and importance.

Rána nodded. “I imagine, through the owners, some of the Stone’s story would have been lost or forgotten.” She had not even told the whole story to her nephew, Lith, upon entrusting its care to him. “But…somehow, Alatar knew that Eöl's sister had the Stone. He managed to find her…it seems a very long time ago, from what I gathered.”

"I met her only a few times..." Goldie replied, trying to remember the girl's face. "But we rarely spoke."

A frown flickered across Rána’s brow at the memory of the sweet, young girl with golden hair. She was so young, yet her freshness and bloom had dimmed considerably. Rána didn’t want to think about how long she had been a captive of the orcs… and their cruel master.

Jan sat in silence with a thoughtful look on her face. "This goes back farther than I ever would have thought, and deeper. Now all we can hope is that Eöl found Tari and we can soon be out of here," she said quietly.

Rána’s gaze was on the wall, her eyes following along the side. After a meter or two, there was the appearance of cracks in the wall, near the dirt floor, or some sort of very small door that was nearly invisible. Just then, from the opposite direction, more orc noises started up all of a sudden. Someone groaned. “Not again,” someone whispered. Rána’s eyes flashed to her new discovery.

“How many?” she asked Goldie, who was listening intently.

The Ranger held up her hand, needing silence to assess their numbers. Her face fell. "More than before!" she whispered urgently.

Rána listened also. “Many more,” she said grimly. Gesturing for them to be quiet, she showed them the door. As a joint effort, they were able to find a latch, and with much pulling they managed to pry it open. One by one they crawled into the tunnel. Rána, the last to go through, looked over her shoulder as she bent to enter it. Closing the door sturdily behind her, she hoped beyond hope that something better lay ahead of them.
Newra
CoE Volunteer
Send Message
on: March 28, 2006 01:09
Eöl's heart pounded as he hunched in a full on run, his left hand clutching Tari's and his right hand in front of him, ready to brace himself against anything he might bump into in the pitch black. The rhythm of his frantic pulse matched the rhythm of the scrambling feet not too far behind him. Tari gave a soft gasp and skidded to a stop, causing Eöl to stop also, after a few stumbled steps.

"What?" he asked. She walked a few steps forward and led him to a door in front of them. Eöl realized that her eyes would be more used to the darkness than his, and nodded. "Do you know what's behind this door?" he asked.

She shook her head. "Not for sure...." Her eyes seemed wide and afraid. "But he might be somewhere close by."

Eöl took a deep breath to center his thoughts on the strength of Valond, and kicked down the door. A flood of light didn't greet him, as he has subconsciously expected it to, but the room they stepped into was dimly lit with a lamp. "Look, Eöl," Tari said softly, pointing to a narrow staircase that led almost straight up.

~

After climbing a long time, and feeling pressure mount in his ears, they came to the end of the staircase and emerged through a queer crevice. Blinking in the sunlight, Eöl realized that they were outside again, in what appeared to be a crude courtyard carved from the stone. From the positioning on the cliffs, he concluded, this place could not be seen from below.

A noise came to Eöl's keen ears, yet he could not decipher what it was. It was a thud. Sharp, and hollow, and quick. Thud, thud, thud. Like wood on rock. After a few moments, Eöl realized what it was.

A staff. A walking staff.

As if on cue, a figure came into view. It was the most wizened old man Eöl had ever seen. Bent, scraggled, with long white hair and an untrimmed white beard that fell in tangles down to his knees. He was bent, clothed in a thick blue robe, and walked with a twisted and knotted wooden staff. Thudding the staff once more to the ground with a loud bang, he straightened and looked at Eöl with a pair of fierce, icy eyes. Too pale to be blue, but dark nevertheless. It sent a cold chill through Eöl, and he felt his sister tense dramatically.

His eyes twinkled in a sinister way. "Come to the rescue at last, have you?" he wheezed, looking briefly at Tari. "It seems that you were telling the truth after all." Eöl froze when he realized that he had left Valond in plain sight, around his neck, as opposed to hiding it. Still, if this man really was of the Istari, it would not have mattered much.

"You will be found out, you know," Eöl said, stepping forward. "We are not far from Erebor, and the dwelling place of King Thranduil. All that the King needs is word from me, and you shall be discovered."

The old man hacked a throaty laugh. "Oh yes, Valiant Young One. You still believe that you will make it out of here alive." Eöl felt a strange pressure in his mind, and he drew his sword quickly. "Give it to me," Alatar growled, holding his withered palm out towards Eöl. "I will spare both your lives if you give it to me."

Eöl stopped dead in his tracks. He had never considered this. What if he were to give up the jewel? Was a magical item really worth putting all of their lives in danger? All he had wanted was to save Tari. But now, he was faced with a bigger dilemma. Rána seemed to think that Valond was important...

But a stone of this worth in the hands of a corrupt and mad wizard? As soon as the thought came to him, he made up his mind. He couldn't let the stone out of his keeping. If it ended up in the wrong hands, it could mean another resurgence of evil in the land. He couldn't allow that to happen.

Shaking his head slowly, he stepped forward, knowing he would have to fight.

What I wouldn't give to have Rána and the rest of them now!

The man shouted a strange command and clapped his hands, and Eöl panicked. Wolf cries and orc shouts could be heard close by...but right on cue, the rest of the company burst into view, swords drawn and bows strung.

Rána glanced at Eöl as the approaching enemies came into view. "Deal with Alatar, Eöl. We'll do the rest."
NenyaGold
Send Message
on: October 09, 2006 07:35
(OoC: Characters written by their respective owners. Thank you, Ladies! )

With Bruinen on her heels, Goldie dashed with the others only to hear what she had feared -- more orcs and now, wolves! Sheathing Findë, she pulled her bow off her shoulder and notched an arrow as she turned around.

"Rána, we need to run! There are too many!" the Ranger shouted hearing the clamor of more on the way.

Rána, running just behind Goldie and the wolf, gave an almost panicked groan. Their pursuers had followed them into the tunnel, and now they had no choice but to run full speed ahead into wherever the tunnel led. The tunnel wound and climbed steeply upwards, but they didn't slacken their pace. The howls and grunts behind them were nearing.

The passageway abruptly ended and they all tumbled out into the stark cold light of early morning - which felt like the noonday sun to their eyes. Rána tried to gather her wits, and saw Eöl, Tari, and The Wizard close at hand. Eöl looked relieved to see them, but also was just as concerned with the wargs and orcs that were fast approaching.

"Deal with Alatar, Eöl. We'll do the rest," she said, nodding to him. Rána jerked her head and beckoned Tari to come to her. The girl quickly was at her side, and they all scrambled to climb the rocks to a less vulnerable spot. "Can you shoot?" Rána asked Tari. Tari nodded, and Rána thrust her quiver and bow into Tari's hands.

Rána took a breath to steady the hand that held her sword as the orcs flooded out of the tunnel. It was but a moment before they were detected.

Trying to focus in the bright light, her eyes having seen only darkness for several days now, Goldie was forced to feel the rough surfaces of the large boulders as she climbed up, trying to find a ledge where they could not be seen but could see anyone emerging from the tunnel.

Finally securing a place across from Rána and Tari, she grabbed Bruinen's collar and hauled him up behind her. Following him was Alagos and reaching down they clasped hands. Although she was exhausted, she mustered all of her strength to nearly dragged the he-Elf onto the ledge next to her.

Notching her arrow again, she nodded to Rána that they were ready.

Rána nodded back to Goldie, but her grey eyes went almost instantly to Tari, who was rubbing an arrow between her fingers, her eyes half closed. Rána grimly supposed that it had been a very long time since the young elleth had used a bow. But Rána came to another realization very quickly, as she heard the clamour of orcs beneath them.

*My bow...it is a yrch bow...*

She had become too accustomed to it to realize that she had just given Tari a weapon of the race that had enslaved her for so many years. But, perhaps, it would give the girl some satisfaction to deal death with the enemy's weapon.

A whizzing noise startled her out of her foolish reverie. Swearing softly, Rána yelled for the rest to try and find cover. Instead of climbing the rocks to pursue them, the orcs were letting arrows fly in their direction. Rána had given her long range weapon to Tari, so all she could do was wait.

Tari half scrambled behind a rock and quickly fitted an arrow to the bowstring. Rána smiled as the arrow flew and imbedded itself in the neck of an orc.

Letting her arrow fly, Goldie did not wait to see if it struck her intended mark, but quickly notched another all the while ducking from the arrows the orcs managed to send their way. Although she knew he preferred to fight with his sword, and in spite of his wound, Alagos' aim was still true and together the five of them, including Alijan on yet another rock nearby, staved off the orcs and wolves while Eöl continued to deal with Alatar.

Alijan, standing on a small ledge, chanced a quick glance in the direction of the others, just to make sure they were ok. Nodding to herself she turned, slashing out at her enemy (one of the dumber orcs who had decided to come up after her), who went tumbling back down onto the archers below. She backed up a bit as yet another volley of arrows flew her way, bouncing off the rocks around her with dull thunks as they missed their target. She picked up her bow, already strung and laying at her feet, and offered return fire to keep them busy.

Her wounded arm ached, slowing her down. She growled and dropped low to avoid incoming fire, putting another arrow to the string as she went. Drawing was harder now, making her arm shake as she fought to hold the arrow to the string. She looked back at the others and tried to judge the distance between her rock and Goldie's. Scooping Dae into one arm she took one last look at the distance, telling herself that this was suicide. Taking a step back or two she picked up a run and jumped, grabbing the ledge of the other rock and pulling herself up onto it.
"Did I miss anything?"

Rána saw Alijan scrambling up the rock, and grabbed the woman's arm swiftly, assisting her out of the path of flying arrows. "Not much," she grunted. In truth, she wondered if the orcs would realize that they were falling prey to a simple diversion. If all the orcs attacked Eöl, he had no chance. As it was, Eöl, with the powerful stone, had a shot -if a slim one at that- of defeating the wizard. Rána ducked before firing a shot once more, nodding grimly as she struck her mark. An arrow from the last volley had deeply grazed Tari's arm, Rána noticed, but the girl made no exclamation. She simply stopped for a moment, winced, and continued to fight. Shaking her head with a smile, Rána was reminded that there were some strong and valiant people on the earth...

Even though Goldie knew they were all strong and valiant, the simple truth was they were outnumbered. It was foolish to think they could defeat their enemy now. Here in the Iron Hills, after the long journey to finally rescue Eöl's sister Tari, they would perish at the hands of Alatar and his hordes.

'At least it will be a quick death,' she realized -- the orcs seemed more intent on killing them than taking them prisoners.

Reaching back, she pulled the last arrow out of her quiver, knowing that the situation was hopeless. Although there was little one more arrow could do, seeing her friends still fighting gave the Ranger much needed courage. She would fight to the end if only to protect the others for a few moments longer. Determined now, she would at least make it a worthy end. She notched her arrow.

As if the world had stalled, everything in it suddenly slowed. It seemed to take minutes for her to pull the arrow back and aim it at the closest orc. Just as she released it something bumped her elbow. Slowly she turned and saw Bruinen attempting to crouch behind her, trying to evade the incoming volley.

When she turned back, she saw that her arrow had taken an unintentional flight up the sloped mountain above the opening of the cave. It hit a small rock on which a much larger boulder precariously balanced. The arrow bounced off but the force was enough to dislodge the small rock and release the boulder along with nearly half of the mountain in a crushing rumble of rocks, dirt and choking dust.

Goldie watched, stunned, as the roaring mass buried the orcs and wolves below. There were surprised shrieks and screams and cries of pain, but once the rocks stopped falling and settled, the area echoed with an eerie silence. The dust finally cleared and looking across the crevasse at Tari, Alijan and Rána she saw that all of them were as shocked as she, but Rána's smile and nod confirmed that they were all right. Turning, she was relieved to see that Alagos and Bruinen were fine too.

Then, as suddenly as it had slowed, time returned to normal and looking farther out into the bright sunshine Goldie saw Eöl and Alatar still fighting, seemingly oblivious to what had just happened.
Newra
CoE Volunteer
Send Message
on: January 05, 2007 09:01
(here's the whopper post to almost-end-all posts. *wink* Goldie bit written by the loverly NenyaGold)

Eöl didn’t know whether to feel relieved or burdened as the rest of his companions emerged to fend off the orcs. It left him free to try and out-maneuver Alatar…but it only bought him time. Goldie, Alagos, and the rest simply could not defeat all the orcs and wolves. Eöl would have to make short work…something he was not confidant that he could do. After all…he was dealing with a wizard.

Alatar looked mildly put out when his underlings ignored Eöl for the rest of the company, but it was a brief sentiment. The old man turned his pale eyes from the sporadic fighting to gaze on his opponent. Eöl inhaled once and exhaled as he drew the sword from his belt. Shivers ran down his spine….he felt as though he had never held a sword in his life. The old wizard just stared at him, piercing through Eöl’s flesh as though he were a mere, inexperienced boy.

Giving a gruff laugh, Alatar looked amused. “You’re both just children,” he sputtered. “You have the same look in your eyes. Fear.” Eöl heard Tari from the rocks above, calling to Goldie, or one of the others. Something made his heart beat faster. His sister was alive. But what must she have had to go through at the hands of his man? Stepping forward, Eöl gave an involuntary silent sneer. Alatar gave what sounded like between a laugh and a cough, his eyes glinting. “And anger! Oh yes, boy, she had plenty of that. What a bitter, angry eye she had.”

Eöl had to clench his teeth from screaming at Alatar’s taunting, sarcastic tone. The old man trivialized all that Tari had been through, and the words ate through Eöl like acid rain.

Giving a cry, Eöl darted toward Alatar, raising his sword high in the air. But in a flash, the old man held aloft his cane and thrust Eöl onto the ground. Eöl shook his head, and a drop of blood flew from his lips. He wasn’t even sure if the old man had physically touched him. He desperately hoped that he had. If Alatar had powers too, there was no chance that Eöl could defeat him.

Alatar didn’t smirk or laugh at his first small victory, but merely threw his staff to the ground and unsheathed a long blade. It consoled Eöl; at least the old man wouldn’t be using some sort of supernatural-staff-tactics. They parried a few times, neither gaining too much ground. Alatar was a fairly good swordsman, but obviously not trying to show off. Eöl had a sinking feeling that Alatar was out of practice, and that with every swing he remembered more, and became more confidant.

Eöl tried desperately to subdue a wave of panic as he saw that the orcs were gaining ground on his friends. They can’t hold much longer. He would have to do something fast. Perhaps…. His mind whirred, deflecting a sharp blow from Alatar’s long sword. Perhaps he could get Alatar in a deadlock. With Valond around his neck, and its power surging through his veins…he might have a narrow opportunity to best the wizard.

But it wouldn’t even matter if he didn’t hurry.

Making a quick series of sudden blows, Eöl saw that Alatar, simply because of surprise, was forced to step back a few paces. Clenching his teeth, Eöl gave a heaving thrust, and Alatar returned the gesture. Their swords were locked in between their faces. Whomever won the battle of strength was sure to be the victor.

Alatar snarled. “You haughty boy. Knew you couldn’t best my skill?” Eöl grunted disdainfully, focusing all his energy through his hands at the grip of his sword. “Well, don’t be so sure that you can best my strength, even with your precious stone.” He gave a short laugh. “You don’t even have an idea of the power it holds, so how could you harness it?”

“I know more than you think,” Eöl said through clenched teeth, his eyes flickering at the battle ensuing above them. Alatar turned his gaze and beheld the woman Rána, who was yanking a precious arrow from a limp goblin. Alatar’s eyes grew wide with surprise and rage at the sight of his escaped prisoner, and Eöl took the small window of opportunity to act. He suddenly broke the hold, causing the wizard to stumble. Kicking the man hard in the wrist, Alatar cried in pain as the sword flew from his knobby fingers.

~

Eöl wished for a speck of grass to clean his sword on, but there was no time. Raising his eyes, he blinked at the dusty air around him. No more goblin screams. No whiz of arrows. Dust was settling….there had been a rockslide, of all things! Panic shot through him as he scanned the horizon for any sign of his friends. Scrambling up the rocks, he called for them. “Tari! Goldie? Goldie!” There was a low growl, and Eöl realized that a warg had probably survived. He groaned, wondering if he was still strong enough to take on a wolf.

Before he could finish the thought, Bruinen leapt upon him, sending him with a thud to the ground and happily licking his face. Eöl gave a weak laugh. “Hey boy. Where’s your mama?”

“Eöl,” said a soft voice. Tari’s form emerged from the rocks, a smile shining through the dirt and blood caked on her. Eöl ran and scooped her up, feelings tears for the first time in a while. His baby sister was safe.

Goldie and the others began to trickle out as well. Rána stood a distance away, scanning the rubble for any loose arrows. After embracing her, Eöl took Goldie’s arm briefly and nodded. “We have to get out of here now. Who knows how many more of these foul things still lurk about?”

"I lost my sense of direction long ago in the tunnels, but this is not the way we entered," said Goldie as she glanced around the area. "Would they have had another entrance this close? If not, then we have some time." Turning back to Eöl she looked up at her friend and regarded him carefully. "Are you all right, mellon nîn?"

Eöl nodded slowly. He felt so lightheaded. "I suppose," he replied softly. "Oh, my friend, I must be." Looking at Tari, a swell of pride surged inside him. "He pressed me hard, but we've done it," he murmured. "Goldie, we've done it. That is...." he paused, looking around. "...as soon as we can find a way out of here." He took a moment to glance at the condition of the others. "How did you all fare?"

"Well enough and ready to leave," the ranger answered, knowing there would be no celebration until they were home, Eöl with his sister as it should have been all of these years.

Eöl made sure all were accounted for and looked around. “How are we going to get out of here?” he muttered, rubbing the back of his neck.

Rána cleared her throat, catching his eye. “Come on,” she said, turning. “I’m fairly certain we can get out this way.”

Taking Tari’s hand, Eöl and the others followed her.

~

To the western side of Eöl’s view, Erebor rose like a smile to greet them. They were close. As they traveled further on, the forests of Mirkwood became increasingly visible. His mind was probably only half there, but Eöl was happy. To his right and slightly behind rode the woman Rána, and near to his left rode his sister.

When they settled for camp that night Eöl reflected that these last few nights of riding and camping over the bare plains of western Rhûn had been some of his first nights of true peace in what seemed like years. Goldie struck up the fire and smiled at young Tari’s glowing face as she nestled next to the flickering flames. The sky darkened rapidly and Eöl, his eyes closed, could hear snippets of murmured conversation. Conversation! He laughed. It had been a while since he struck up a casual conversation. His life had been so purposeful and urgent for so long… He opened his eyes and they rested upon Tari and Rána, who were chatting quietly. Tari’s voice was light and happy, still, and Rána’s was far deeper, though in a pleasant way. Eöl would have to keep going, since he didn’t plan on sailing anytime soon. He now felt sure that he and Tari could make it; could start something new, and just as good as their life had been before she was taken.

And he was truly excited for something.
rivindell_magic
Council Member
Send Message
on: February 13, 2007 05:42
Eol and Tari,

I hope that you, and the rest of our party, have returned home and are getting some sorely needed rest after our adventures. It has been a long while, but this is actually the first moment where I have had time to sit and write. Firstly, I know that I left you in a bit of a rush, but I was ready to get home without having to say long goodbyes. I have settled into a little house a little ways outside of Rivendell, so as not to disturb the people there with my many comings and goings. I am quite happy here, though it is a bit quiet for my taste. Then again pretty much anytime I’m not out adventuring is too quiet for my taste.
Actually, the reason I am writing is that I got a tad of a creative bug when I first moved in, and it has produced something that I think will be useful to both you and your sister if ever you decide to go adventuring again. Perhaps I can drop them off to you on my way, since I am going out to explore some more of the world. Explore, and maybe find some trace of my real family while I’m at it. You never know, I might just get lucky.
I will be looking for your reply with my falcon, he knows the way to me wherever I am. I look forward to hearing from you.
Jan

~
She stood, looking over her work. A small smile crept onto her face as she read it over, checking that she had said everything that had needed saying. It would be good to see them again, that was for sure. She hadn’t stuck around to say goodbye after that final battle in her rush to get back home. Folding the letter she pulled the door open and let out a shrill whistle, and from over the tree tops a small falcon glided down, landing gracefully on a small perch outside her door. She handed the bird the letter, which it took in its beak. With a few whispered words it took off, disappearing into the sinking sun.
NenyaGold
Send Message
on: March 26, 2007 06:58
[OoC: Eöl lovingly written by Newra. Thank you, Newra dear, for this wonderful journey! Eöl and you will always be in Goldie's and my hearts! :heart: :cry: ]

Meldanya [My Dear] Eöl ~ Goldie began the letter... It had been quite a while since her last note and although there seemed to be much to tell, her thoughts drifted back to several years ago and the last time she saw her dear friend.

She remembered the joy in Eöl's eyes when they had finally found and rescued his sister Tari, but it was on their return to Imladris that things began to change. Alagos had been his usual quiet self but seemed to become even more distant and even though Goldie knew he would be leaving, whether to find what was missing in his life, if that was possible, or sail to Aman as most Elves had by now, it was a difficult and sad farewell. She watched as the he-elf rode out of Imladris with his eagle, Norui, leading the way. She knew she would never see him again.

Hurrying down the path towards her room, blinded by her tears, she nearly ran into Eöl, but a greeting from Bruinen caused her to look up just in time. Reaching out she grasped his arm to steady herself.

"Mellon nín," she said, wiping her eye on the sleeve of her shirt.

Eöl's eyebrows flew up an inch and he gave a short, pitying laugh.

"Careful, mellon. You're going to be running into trees at this rate." With his free hand he dug into his trouser pocket, producing a slightly crumpled but clean handkerchief. He looked into her eyes and cocked his head questioningly.

Taking his offer, Goldie wiped her eyes on the soft cloth. "I knew he would go... I did not realize it would be so difficult to say good-bye..." She sniffed and took a deep breath.

Eöl gently led his friend down the path he had just been walking, remembering a stone bench next to a rosebush he had noticed. He averted his eyes after they both sat, looking at the yellow roses smiling back at him. He looked back up at Goldie, who was gazing at the handkerchief she held in her hand.

"Saying goodbye is hard," he said quietly, knowing that he wasn't saying anything she didn't already know....wishing he knew what she wanted to hear. A laugh from an open window caught his attention, and he looked up to see Tari in one of the upper chambers. She appeared to be talking with a few other Elves.

He cracked a wry half-smile. "But at least you got to say goodbye. That's not always a luxury in this world."

Goldie looked from Eöl up to the window where his sister stood laughing, obviously recovering well from her years of captivity. Turning back to her dear friend she was thankful he was still there, unlike Alagos who was gone from her forever.

She slipped her arm through his and leaned her head on his shoulder. "I much prefer hellos..." she said quietly, thinking back to when they rescued Tari in the Iron Hills.

"As do I," said Eöl, barely able to remember the first time he had said hello to Goldie so long ago. He did remember, however, his first hello to Tari. A smiling babe in his mother's arms. He remembered her face when she saw him for the first time in the Iron Hills. His face clouding, he remembered his first hello to Alagos, a suspicious greeting at the cloaked Elf, bow in hand.

He and Alagos had always sparred, sometimes with words, sometimes with glances, sometimes over Goldie's affections, even. Eöl marveled at how much he had grown since he first greeted Alagos.

Placing his arm around Goldie's, Eöl inclined his head for a moment on hers, which was several inches below his. "Rest easy, muin nín. You may say as many hellos as you want to, now that we are here."

His eyes flickering around the beautiful gardens of Rivendell. He truly appreciated its loveliness, compared to the stark wilderness in which they had journeyed for so long. "For I, at least, am in no rush to say goodbye to any of this..." he smiled down at her. "...least of all, you."

~ ~ ~

Goldie sighed at remembering his words and looked down at the nearly blank piece of parchment. It was three short months later that they did say goodbye. After the death of her Naneth, her father Celevon and brother Torin settled in Framsburg, since most of the Elves had left Lothlórien. Wanting to stay close to her family Goldie followed.

Thinking back through those past three years to that goodbye...

Goldie felt nothing but elation at the glow of pure happiness on Eöl's face. He had found his family and had quickly settled into life in Imladris with his sister. The Ranger knew she could leave him now and hopefully find her own life with her family in Framsburg.

"Promise you will visit!" she ordered, glancing up at him although his face was now blurry around the edges.

Eöl nodded, a lump in his throat, and gave Goldie a firm embrace. He was overjoyed at his happiness for her. He feared that her leave-taking would leave him forlorn, but a new feeling of excitement for his friend had welled up instead. He knew she would be happy with her family, just as he was happy with his. He would miss her when they were apart, but he knew that he would see her again.

Smiling, he cupped her face, brushing aside a tear with his thumb. "I will visit you on each of your begetting-days for the rest of your life, if you wish!" he laughed, and kissed her forehead.

"And he'll be sure to bring a chaperone," said a sweet voice behind Eöl. Tari stood near them, with eyes sad but smiling.

Releasing Eöl, Goldie turned to Tari. "I should have it no other way!" she stated and reaching for the girl she embraced her. "And I expect letters in the meantime," she continued, reluctantly releasing her friend.

"And an occasional scrawl or two from you, dear friend." Wrapping her arms around the he-Elf's neck, she hugged him fiercely.

Eöl laughed and spun Goldie in a circle, a tear slipping down his cheek. "A scrawl, perhaps," he said, grinning. "But I imagine most of the letters will pass between you girls. I'm a man of action. I may hand deliver the letters myself," he teased.

Taking a breath and dashing the tear from his face, he took both her hands. "May all the stars shine upon your journey, my dear, dear friend. And write to us soon telling us of your safe settling with your family."

~ ~ ~

As they had done then, the tears streamed down her face now, but she laughed, remembering him yet again handing her his handkerchief. She had kept that one, stowing it in her cloak pocket when he had turned away to reach for the reins of her steed -- a small piece of a dear friendship she had treasured these years. She wiped her eyes with it now while their last conversation continued in her thoughts...

"Ever the gallant elf as well," she teased him as he cupped his hand for her booted foot and easily lifted her onto Sul.

Patting the horse's mane gently, Eöl looked up at Goldie. "Always gallant, my dear." Tari laughed from next to him and swatted him gently on the shoulder.

"Farewell, Goldie," Tari said, as Goldie reached down once more to clutch the young girl's hand. "I'll take good care of Eöl." She leaned in closer to Goldie. "Somebody has to, now that you're leaving," she added, in sotto voice, trying not to chuckle.

"Then I fear for you, for it is a never-ending task!" Laughing, the Ranger squeezed Tari's hand then reached for Eöl's once more, holding it tightly, feeling his warmth.

"And yet I have loved doing so." She looked at his face, his piercing eyes. once more. "Nai Anar caluva tielyanna. .....[May the sun shine on your path.] Tenn' enquetielva. [Until we speak again.] Namárië. [Farewell!]"

Led by Bruinen, she turned Sul up the path towards the gate. Following closely was Sívë, a young Galadhrim he-elf, one of Celevon's elite guards who had journeyed with his former Captain from Lothlórien to Framsburg. When Goldie decided to relocate before the winter snows barred the path across the Misty Mountains, her Adar had sent Sívë to escort her home.

As they passed through the gates from the land that had been her home for many years, the Ranger dared not look back. She knew the vision would only be blurred...

~ ~ ~

Goldie had quite expected Eöl and Tari to appear on her birthday that following year, but two more Aprils had come and gone with only a few brief notes from Tari. How quickly those years had passed... And with another April nearly upon them, she wondered if she would be seeing her friends this year.

Returning again to her letter, she realized she had written nothing beyond "Meldanya Eöl ~", absorbed as she was in her memories of her friend. But now she concentrated on her announcement.

"I hope this letter finds you and Tari well. You might wish to sit down before you continue reading... There is actual news in this communiqué!"

The Ranger thought back to a few weeks ago in a clearing not far from where she sat now near the River Anduin. She warmed at the memory.

"It was a beautiful ceremony." she wrote. "The glade was bathed in a golden glow from the swaying lights in the trees, and the tree-tops were lit by the setting sun as Sívë and I pledged our hearts and lives to one another."

Goldie dipped the tip of the quill into the bottle of ink and continued.

"I will now wait for you to sit down... Unless of course you have fallen down! I did warn you that I had news!"

Leaving several blank lines, she grinned and resumed her writing.

"It might seem sudden because I have never written about him, but our friendship has grown, even more-so over the last few months. He has assumed duties with the Dúnedain here, as have Toron and Ada. To be working with my family is more than I could ever have expected, or even dared ask for.

But you were right, my dear. You can find what you seek if you continue to look. And all I ever sought was peace and happiness. You never wavered in your determined search for Tari, and your happiness when you two were reunited convinced me it was time to renew my bonds with my family. I have never been happier. And to now have Sívë as my life-mate... Peace comes in many forms and should never be considered lightly or over-valued, for you never know how long it will last.

Realizing she had become a bit philosophical, Goldie laughed, then continued. "I am beginning to sound like you, Eöl... But I have learned so much from you over the years that should not be surprising. And, I hope that just one more time I will see your smiling face, look into your twinkling eyes, and embrace you. April is upon us...

I do hope that by sending this to you, I shall receive a reply from you, even if it be only short scrawl.

All my love to you both!

~Goldie~

P.S. Bruinen ages but awaits by the door for your arrival...

Re-corking the ink bottle, the Ranger placed it with the quill in the leather pouch that lay beside her. Folding her letter and rising, Goldie returned to her home by the river where Sívë and Bruinen waited. They would walk into town later to leave it for the next rider to Imladris, then stop at her Adar's for the evening meal.

And hopefully one day soon, Goldie would see her dear friend Eöl again. She could not think of her future without their paths crossing once more.

~ ~ ~

[OoC: Thank you, rivendellmagic, for joining us just when we needed you! :love:

Thank you very much, Newra, for inviting me to join this adventure nearly four years ago! :hug:

It has been a wonderful writing experience and a most interesting journey and I am so glad to be with you here at the end... :heart:

Sérë ~

~NenyaGold~]
Newra
CoE Volunteer
Send Message
on: May 06, 2007 05:00
[Dear Mods & Members- I present today (on the 4-year anniversary of its beginning!) the final chapter in this story. It has been a long road! Often difficult, but always fun. I extend my most heartfelt thanks to every person who helped along the way. Particularly to Rivindell_Magic- who helped spark new life into the story and helped us finish out; and most especially to NenyaGold. You have been Goldie to me (Eöl!) and this thread has been our Tari. Thank you for sticking with me 'til the end!

Most sincerely, Newra]

~

Smiling, Eöl hastily dipped his quill into the inkwell, scribbling out his note.

"Dear Jan,

I wish you could have seen my face when I saw your gift for the first time…"

~

Eöl's eyes lit up.

The post never brought anything too eventful to Rivendell in these times; in fact, hardly anything except personal notes. Of course, Alijan always sent her letters via falcon. Today, Eöl received a package, laughing as he saw Jan's bird circling above the wagon the entire time, guarding over her mistress' gift to Eöl.

"Oh, Tari," he breathed, unsheathing the sword with a quiet, leathery slithering sound. Tari poked her head further into the room, smiling. Eöl rested the naked blade on his writing desk and ran his fingers over the polished metal.

"Wait, Eöl..." Tari stepped into the room, taking a closer look at Eöl’s gift. "Our stone!" she cried. "That’s where you sent it," she said with a smile.

~

"Tari and I both commend your skill in forging our precious family heirloom so marvelously into the pommel of the sword."

He dipped the nib in once more, blocking out the sound of Tari bustling about the room.

"And a fine sword it is, my friend. I had no idea that your abilities went so far as to the smithing of blades! To think, for all the help you’ve given to me- and now this gift beyond price…"

~

The blue-tinged metal swirled down the hilt, around the stone Valond, and faded away down the edge of the blade.

"The colours are so lovely," Tari said, awestruck.

"Aye," Eöl answered. "No wonder her falcon was hovering so protectively above the post! I wouldn’t trust this to the mail." He could picture Jan's sarcastic eyes twinkling.

~

"Are you nearly done with your scribbling, brother?" Tari’s voice was teasingly sing-song from the next room.

Eöl ran his forefinger and thumb a second time along the crease of the folded paper and hastily sealed the finished letter to Alijan. Glancing up, a shock of untrimmed black hair obstructing vision in his left eye, he smiled at his sister as she danced into the room. "Yes, quite done. Are you finished packing?"

"Did you want your heavy cloak with the fur?"

He slanted up at eyebrow at her. "I imagine roads along the Mistys are cold this time of year- and we’re following them, eh?"

"Then yes, I'm done packing," she said with a knowing smile.

Tari approached Eöl and brushed his hair behind his ear, clearing hinting at a much needed trimming. "You should straighten up before you see her. You don't want to look like some manner of wandering vagrant."

Eöl grinned as he strapped on his new sword in preparation to leave. "She knows very well that I'm a wandering vagrant, and I shan't make pretenses otherwise."

Tari laughed, hugging his neck. "Silly boy."

Eöl was pensive for a few minutes as they gathered their packs. Tari left the chamber to check in the kitchen for the food arrangements he had made. Running his hand through his hair, Eöl sat slowly on the bed. He had missed Goldie these past three years. True, he had always had good reason to excuse himself from visiting… He couldn't figure out why he had simply never written to tell her.

Opening the drawer next to his bed, he smiled faintly at the large pile of letters stacked within. All in Goldie's easily recognizable hand. The most recent one had convicted him greatly. Her begetting-day was rapidly approaching, once again, and he hadn't even written her a proper letter since she had settled in Framsburg.

Glancing out the door to see if there was any sign of Tari, he moved to his writing desk and searched for some form of parchment amongst the clutter that Tari was always trying to get him to organize. Finding something that suited, he wet the quill and bent over the desk, hastily scratching out a note in the time which remained before they were set to leave.

~

"My Dearest Goldie,

I’m quite ashamed that you are most likely surprised at the arrival of this (rather unsuitable) note of greeting. Your birthday approaches, and I am currently readying your gift- which is why I have hardly a moment to write. You will forgive me, the angel that you are."

~

Eöl chewed the end of the pen thoughtfully, trying to word things properly. Pacing helped him think.

Eöl had always planned to make his visits to Framsburg in April, the month of Goldie's birth. Mere weeks before he was ready to make that first trip, he had received a letter from his brother, Hîr-Lalaith. Having not heard from Laith in a number of years, Eöl left Rivendell almost immediately to seek him out, leaving Tari the task of writing to Goldie. Though Eöl never particularly asked his sister what she wrote to Goldie about, he suspected that she hadn’t been making excuses for him. Tari would leave that up to him.

But, absent-minded as he tended to be, Eöl never got around to explaining to Goldie why he hadn’t visited. The ordeal with Laith ended up being a complicated mess ending in only a few brief weeks with his brother before he felt compelled to return to Tari. He would never feel easy again when she wasn't in his sight.

The next year business at Rivendell had bustled uncharacteristically, and Eöl was often called upon to oversee activities, hunt, or other such manner of service to Imladris. He hadn't been feeling Goldie's absence so keenly- since more than a year had passed.

The rest of that entire year had gone off busily. He and Tari even sojourned from the Valley once to accompany some of their friends to Mithlond who were permanently relocating. By the time Goldie's letter containing news of her marriage arrived, Eöl had lost count of how many years she had been gone.

~

…"Though it's hardly an adequate excuse, things have bustled for us these past few seasons. Everything from months on the road with companions, to a visit with Laith (you remember my younger brother)- life has been whirring around my ears. I saw the sea for the first time since Mother left. I miss her.

I miss you as well, and can hardly forgive myself for forgetting my promise.

Time is scarce, but I’m sure my present to you will arrive soon after this letter does.

Yours,
Eöl."

~

"Hullo!" Eöl waved one arm as he spotted the postman walking in the direction of his wagon. He held out two letters. "I need this one special delivered," he said, matter-of-factly, acknowledging his letter to Goldie.

The postman nodded, taking the letters from Eöl and glancing briefly at the Framsburg address. "I'll put a fast messenger on it, my lord. But why the rush?" The postman knew Eöl- and knew he had few letters of any import to send.

Eöl laughed, heading for the stables. "It's got to get there before I do!"

~

Leading Síla by her bridle, Eöl walked to meet Tari by the gate. Slowing his pace, he watched as his little sister fondly stroked the velvet nose of the grey mount she was dwarfed by. Blue eyes alight with gentle affection, she whispered fondly to the animal, who clearly enjoyed the attentions of his mistress. It amazed Eöl every day the sweetness Tari had retained- even through her ordeal. And over the past few years the quiet somberness of a girl had given way to the mature woman she was now. Who laughed as much, yet hushed all the more- but without the fresh pain of her first months restored to Eöl. Eöl didn't know if he could leave all those years of imprisonment so unscathed.

Glancing up, Tari smiled excitedly. She had not seen Goldie for a long time either. Remembering Tari’s captivity made him ache to see his friend all the more. Goldie was the only companion who had stood by him from the beginning to the last. Not only had she been the first friend he had come to in his time of need, but she had held his hand when all others had left him to falter.

Jumping up onto the saddle, Eöl took a deep breath and stared up at the perfect blue sky, running over in his mind the time it would take to go 'round the mountains, and then afterwards reach Framsburg.

"What are you thinking, Eöl?" asked Tari, pushing herself up onto her horse with the ease of an experienced horsewoman.

His grey eyes met her blue ones, and he cracked a lop-sided smile.

"I think it's high time we go."

THE END

Writers, past & present:
-NenyaGold
-Eldarion
-Sillende
-Macilie~Undomiel
-Anorel
-LadyElrinda
-Abraon
- ElvenBeauty321
-rivindell_magic