Register

Author Topic:
PotbellyHairyfoot
Grandpa Moderator
Send Message
Post Now Updated!!-- Multiple Threads on the same topics-[b]please read[/b]
on: May 20, 2003 02:33
From the RP Mods--

We now have 4 Harry Potter related RPs running in this forum.
This is a LOTR site and although we do not mind a thread or two on any particular non-LOTR topic we feel that any more than that is unneccesary and detrimental to the site.
We are now putting a freeze on any more HP threads and will not allow any more to start until there are only one or two HP threads again.
.[ This also applies to other topics such as Matrix RPs and X-men RPs.]

[Edited on 26/9/2003 by PotbellyHairyfoot]

[Edited on 15/6/2004 by PotbellyHairyfoot]
Sarahadwen
Council Member
Send Message
Post RE: Now Updated!!-- Multiple Threads on the same topics-[b]please read[/b]
on: May 21, 2003 10:10
Ok, so what if the are harry potter and lotr?
tasuki1000
Council Member
Send Message
on: May 21, 2003 12:49
Even though I don't participate in any HP threads, I think that it's totally necessary since this is a Non-Tolkien RPG Forum. And, the description of the forum also says "Not based on J. R. R. Tolkien's works....

I hope you take my thoughts into consideration and hopefully defreeze the threads.
Narulothwen
Council Member
Send Message
on: May 21, 2003 07:38
I think the point is that this IS a TOLKIEN site. There are places for X-Men fans (for example) to meet & play. Find them & go there!
How many different threads should be allowed on ANY topic, Tolkien related or not? Rather than starting a new one, join one of the threads already running! Someone has the foundation laid for you to play there! Make friends! Have fun!
PotbellyHairyfoot
Grandpa Moderator
Send Message
on: May 22, 2003 02:00
I guess I was misunderstod - so I edited my first post here. We are not allowing any MORE HP threads now- 4 is more than enough !!
AzniNtEgRaElf
Council Member
Send Message
on: May 26, 2003 05:40
ah.... thats ok
Lady~Silivren
Council Member
Send Message
on: May 27, 2003 08:39
Oh, I agree! The Harry Potter forums are getting tiring. And yes, this IS a Tolkien site, but even though it's in the Non-Tolkien section.. It still should be about LotR.

~*~Silivren~*~
Ringspell
Council Member
Send Message
on: May 29, 2003 09:42
I'm just gald you aren't closeing down the ones that are here now.

-Spell
Diamond_Pippins_Wife
Council Member
Send Message
on: June 02, 2003 03:28
I agree with Ringspell. Even though this is a Tolkien site, the roleplay place is Non-Tolkien. Just a thought.
PotbellyHairyfoot
Grandpa Moderator
Send Message
on: June 03, 2003 03:44
By stopping the growth of HP threads we are just preventing a situation that has happened on other sites- their RPs have become so full of HP related RPs that they look more like HP sites rather than LOTR sites. We don't mind a few HP RPs but if more than that are desired - well there are plenty of HP sites around for that

[Edited on 3/6/2003 by PotbellyHairyfoot]
DreadPirateRoberts
Council Member
Send Message
on: June 03, 2003 04:18
A question. If this is a LotR site and LotR only, why have a Non-Tolkien section at all? I mean, if you create a Non-Tolkien section, you should expect to have threads like HP or X-Men. Though I agree, there should be no more than one, and at the very most two, threads with those topics. Four HP threads is a little much.:dizzy: Anyway, thanks for listening.

Respectfully,
The Dread Pirate Roberts
Happy_Hobbit
Huggable Hobbit
Send Message
on: June 03, 2003 09:06
Okay hands up all those who are not 100% Tolkiholics.

Well for those of you who are not, we created the NT forum. We knew some people had two or more loves besides Tolkien.

As Coe is the most wonderful site in all of Middle Earth we wanted all our members to enjoy this site and to help them we provide a place for Non Tolkien RPs. However we felt that two of each type of thread was a good balance to achieve only we decided this after we already had four Harry Potter threads. mmmm So anyway we hope our non 100% Tolkiholics enjoy this Sub forum.
orlis_gal
Council Member
Send Message
on: June 14, 2003 11:37
I understand completely...

I see both sides

The problem is that they are so alike!!! I didnt even realise until i got 2 pms saying that i had opted for two different Hps... I only thought i did one! I do enjoy RPing immensly but i think if we have too many of a non tolkien then it will get out of hand! If one gets deleted, will another one allowed to be made? Because the HArry potter and fellowship one is actually v. interesting!
Morion
Council Member
Send Message
on: July 02, 2003 04:06
Why did you make a Non- Tolkien sub-forum with restrictions on what non-tolkien topic you post? It makes no sense. I don't see the logic behind it. And some people don't feel wlecome just butting into threads that have been running for so dad gum long and have twenty people already involved. I agree with DreadPirateRoberts: Why have a non-tolkien section at all if this is just a LotR site.

...though it's in the Non-Tolkien section.. It still should be about LotR.

Then it wouldn't be non-tolkien would it? I feel sorry for the people here who have no sense of logic.
PotbellyHairyfoot
Grandpa Moderator
Send Message
on: July 04, 2003 03:22
By allowing our members to start RPs here on non-Tolkien topics we give them a chance to experiment without having to go to other forums.

By restricting the number of threads on any particular topic we ensure that the forum doesn't get taken over by a particular topic.

When I first came on as a moderator I personaly felt that we should have no non-Tolkien threads at all in our RP forum; but a number of members asked for permission to start a few and keep the ones that had been running for a while and that was agreed to - with the restrictions we now have in place.
Happy_Hobbit
Huggable Hobbit
Send Message
on: July 06, 2003 12:59
Just a heads up

we now have three

Yu Yu Hakusho threads, including the origional one, so please no more to be started for the moment.

Thanks.
xoelvenears424ox
Council Member
Send Message
on: August 21, 2003 11:05
Although I am a huge Harry Potter fan, I see where you are coming from. I joined this site to talk and learn about Tolkien and his works! I can go to a Harry Potter site if I wish to RPG about him. I am, however happy that you didn't remove the existing ones!
Vanimacar
Council Member
Send Message
on: September 17, 2003 11:05
so...am I gonna get in trouble if I start an Xmen RP??? I mean isn't this the place that's for NON-Tolkien threads??? Somebody please respond cuz I dont wanna get in trouble...
leggal
Council Member
Send Message
on: September 17, 2003 11:17
I agree,PB.Does that count for anime-related threads?I am starting to get tired of seeing them everywhere,This IS a Tolkien site-and though there is a non-Tolkien forum,I always considered it meaning fantasy,or at least in the same category as LotR-except with different people and places-same concept.
Happy_Hobbit
Huggable Hobbit
Send Message
on: September 18, 2003 09:40
Okay just to explain once more we try here in the Non Tolkien forum to allow all types of RP providing they stay within the site rules.

However we also try to limit the numbers of same type RPs so that this forum remains a good mix. We would prefer not to be marking many threads on one subject.

It has to be a balance between the topics that are popular at the moment. We felt that two or possibly three of one particular subject is ample.

One thing to note the whole reason for RPing is to interact with other members. There should be no worry about joining a thread as all threads are suppose to be open, the difference being if you join a scripted one you need to PM to learn the plot line and how your character can fit into the thread, whereas in a free one provided you follow the general flow you can hop right in.
PotbellyHairyfoot
Grandpa Moderator
Send Message
on: September 22, 2003 03:15
It is sometimes dificult for us to notice how many treads are running on a similar topic- but today I did notice that we now have three "Vampire" threads. That's it for now - we request that no more on that topic be started while these are running
ThanxImage

[Edited on 22/9/2003 by PotbellyHairyfoot]
PotbellyHairyfoot
Grandpa Moderator
Send Message
on: September 25, 2003 07:11
The same now goes for Anime and X-men threads- there are at least three of each running now and that is more than enough to have going at one time.

Gondren
Council Member
Send Message
on: September 25, 2003 11:40
If this is a LotR site and LotR only, why have a Non-Tolkien section at all? I mean, if you create a Non-Tolkien section, you should expect to have threads like HP or X-Men.
Let me site an example: The Potbelly Pony Pub IV (& 1 - 3, too!) is HERE, in N-T because from the early days it was a little off the true path, even tho set in Middle Earth with its people & history. We have cocoa and neon colored twisty straws & the occasional remark like "Has duct tape been invented yet?" It's too far off to be PURE Tolkien or even related, I guess, but still, it's Middle Earth and we stick by the rules... most of the time!

So, sure, this is the place for comics & cartoons, but there ARE Tolkien-esque threads here, too!
PotbellyHairyfoot
Grandpa Moderator
Send Message
on: September 26, 2003 04:16
We set limits on the number of threads on any one topic so that no topic ends up dominating the forum and we don't end up with our RP looking like it belongs at some other non-Tolkien site.
We allow the NT topics simply to give our members a chance to try out other topics. Back when I first became a moderator here there was a lot of discussion about not allowing nonTolkien related RPs at all- but we finally agreed to allow them- with limits.
We don't expect everyone to agree with our decision. We're just hoping that you can understand why we made it.
Simbelmine
Council Member
Send Message
on: September 26, 2003 11:48
Hmmm... I was surprised on hearing that we even HAVE HP threads here... What I understand by Non-Tolkien is places/characters/powers etc. all made up by ourselves with a bit of inspiration from Tolkien's works. And certainly not flowing away to any marketing produce - any of the above Matrixes, X-men etc.
I am wrong, am I not?:blush:
Let's just have fun here... we, Tolkien fans.
I also have some other loves, not just CoE, but I'm not trying to bound them together...
Different interests - different sites.
Peace...:heart:
SayenElfJedi
Council Member
Send Message
on: October 11, 2003 12:22
The same now goes for Anime and X-men threads- there are at least three of each running now and that is more than enough to have going at one time.

wait a minute... i am in several anime forums, but in a few lotr forums as well. i am not planning on starting any anime forums in the future, but wat about the ones i am in now :dizzy:
PotbellyHairyfoot
Grandpa Moderator
Send Message
on: October 11, 2003 03:36
I guess I need to be clearer- the current ones are fine- we just have enough of them now- While we don't want to be overrun by any topic - we don't want to stop current threads.
rohanmaiden
Council Member
Send Message
on: October 14, 2003 04:01
okay, my question is, how long does it take before a thread leaves the board? Because I want to be in an X-Men RP, but I looked through all the pages and there are three X-Men RPs already. I would just join one of those, but they are all about three to 5 pages.

~RM
CarolP
SuperMom hobbit
Send Message
on: October 15, 2003 09:14
Some threads go on for a long while, some don't. Can you join one of those X-men threads, or do you feel that it would be too hard for you to join in since they've been going on awhile? Why don't you pm someone in one of those threads and see if you can join? If you try to wait for one of the threads to end, who knows how long you may wait?

[Edited on 15/10/2003 by CarolP]
ElenaTheWarrior
Journals Moderator
Send Message
on: October 16, 2003 04:43
Hey, I have a point, and a problem, and they're pretty well conected to each other.
First, in response to what somebody said about there being other places for Haryy Potter RPGs, yes, there are some. THey all suck, In case no one's noticed, this is the only site with RPing on the web (correct me if Im wrong-Id love to find another quality RP site somewhere).
My ohter problem is, I've been wanting for a long time to start a "ravenclaw common room" NT thread. It wouldnt technically be Harry Potter, s it's Ravenclaw...I mean, yes, it would be at Hogwarts and it'd be set in Joanne Rowling's magical world, but...hopefully it wouldnt be as annoying as the other HP threads currently in existance (eg: NO VEELA ALLOWED). See, i'd join one of the exosting ones but (no ofense meant) I dont like any of them.

Anyhow..
CarolP
SuperMom hobbit
Send Message
on: October 23, 2003 04:24
It looks like we've reached our limit on Yu Gi Oh threads. We have at least 3 that people are posting in, so no more new ones please.
Abraon
Workaholic Extraordinaire
Send Message
on: November 29, 2003 05:37
I believe we have reached our limit on Star Trek threads. Please do not start any new ones but use the existing ones. Thanks!
CarolP
SuperMom hobbit
Send Message
on: December 07, 2003 08:11
I've went through the first couple of pages of threads, and these topics have reached their limits on new threads:

Final Fantasy
Star Trek
Star Wars
Matrix
X-Men
YuGiOh

Council Member
Send Message
on: March 14, 2004 11:07
Hey, I have a point, and a problem, and they're pretty well conected to each other.
First, in response to what somebody said about there being other places for Haryy Potter RPGs, yes, there are some. THey all suck, In case no one's noticed, this is the only site with RPing on the web (correct me if Im wrong-Id love to find another quality RP site somewhere).
My ohter problem is, I've been wanting for a long time to start a "ravenclaw common room" NT thread. It wouldnt technically be Harry Potter, s it's Ravenclaw...I mean, yes, it would be at Hogwarts and it'd be set in Joanne Rowling's magical world, but...hopefully it wouldnt be as annoying as the other HP threads currently in existance (eg: NO VEELA ALLOWED). See, i'd join one of the exosting ones but (no ofense meant) I dont like any of them.

Anyhow..

Actually, pinkpt.com/forum has a rather nice system going...
But that's a bit of a plug, innit?
I personally think that the subject limit is a great idea. Albeit it shall take some getting used to, but anime threads are, in essence, irritating.
PotbellyHairyfoot
Grandpa Moderator
Send Message
on: April 11, 2004 12:20
The third "celebrity" RP has started- and we really cannot handle any more now-

[Edited on 11/4/2004 by PotbellyHairyfoot]
Members Online
Print Friendly, PDF & Email