Welcome Guest 

Register

Author Topic:
Woodlandelfgirl87
Council Member
Send Message
Post RE: What was the "scariest" part of LOTR?
on: January 19, 2005 12:48
Hmm... This is a tough one...

FotR: When Galadriel gets all nasty and wierd and turns green, when Bilbo becomes evil for a small moment, when Gandalf trys to grab the ring in Bag End, and the Balrog. Yeah, he scared me a lot. I don't just mean jump, I was totally freaked out!

TTT: Dead Marshes
In TTT it was the elf warrior eyes opening and the *SOUND* when Frodo falls in (crazy creepy)

Yes! That was really creepy!!

RotK: When the Eye of Sauron was on Frodo like a search light- that freaked me out. And the entire process when Frodo was destroying the ring scared me! I was on edge the entire time!
Dolen_i_vad_a_nin
Council Member
Send Message
on: January 19, 2005 05:23
For me it has to be when the Witch King and Gandalf come face to face. Im so scared for Pippin, and when his staff exploded the first time I saw it I screamed and almost cried I was so upset.

Also, more scary in the book than the movie, but when the Wraiths come searching in Bree.
tari_yevetil
Council Member
Send Message
on: February 13, 2012 06:06
The first time i saw the Return of the King I got scared when Aragorn,Legolas,and Gimli took the Paths of the Dead. :blush:
"Disobedience is the true foundation of liberty.The obedient must be slaves."-Henry David Thoreau
Nusent
Council Member
Send Message
Post Re: What was the "scariest" part of LOTR?
on: March 07, 2012 07:59
The part that scared me is when Shelob stings Frodo after a complete silent scene.
SongofNimrodel
Council Member
Send Message
on: March 08, 2012 02:01
I used to be really freaked by the balrog, but i'm kinda used to it by now. These days i mostly try to get people to discuss their wings and/or lack thereof - dangerous, yes, but entertaining.
But i guess that situation could still make it quite a scary part, if you're caught in the middle of it.
Manephelien
Council Member
Send Message
on: March 09, 2012 06:17
Shelob. Nothing matches her in my book.
Precious!
TheLadyArwen
Gallery Shirriff
Send Message
on: March 11, 2012 10:43
The scariest part for me is the Mines of Moria scene in FotR (both book and film). I know what's going to happen, but those doom sounding drums get me every time!
coral
Council Member
Send Message
on: March 22, 2012 08:46
when Gandalf picks up the ring and sees the eye, and also when Bilbo gets mad about the ring at Rviendell.. really freaked me out with his sudden Aargh! sound
Hobbits2Isengard
Council Member
Send Message
Reading the book, I was really creeped out when the Fellowship was going through Moria and Frodo started noticing Gollum. And in FotR when Gandalf was reading the book he pried from dead Ori's hands and with the "We cannot get out" and "Drums in the deep"...
Although those opinions may change when I finally finish reading TTT and watch the RotK movie. I've heard some pretty nasty things about Shelob.
PSK
Council Member
Send Message
Moria is quite scary in the book, in terms of tension and Gandalf's fall.
When bilbo wants the ring back
"Tears unnumbered ye shall shed; and the Valar will fence Valinor against you, and shut you out, so that not even the echo of your lamentation shall pass over the mountains." ~ The Doom of Mandos
Estelanor Of The Shire
Council Member
Send Message
When my mom read the Moria part to me when I was 11, I was absolutely terrified When the drums started, I am pretty sure I was hiding under the blankets. In the movie, I was less freaked out, but it was still nicely scary!
The part that makes my whole family jump every time, is in FOTR, when the Fellowship is sailing down stream, and the scene cuts to a log in the forest. For one moment nothing happens, then an Uruk hai boot crashes down on the log as Lurtz and co charge in search of Frodo. We just yelped and jumped the first time, and we still jump.
May it be when darkness falls, your heart will be true..
flyingarrow
Council Member
Send Message
I think the Shelob part and (at first) Moria was the ones that me scared the most!

"I am burdened with glorious purpose"

Gandolorin
Council Member
Send Message
I was too old (29) to be scared by anything in the book when I first read it in 1985. Fascinated by JRRT's unsurpassed skill with the English language - yes, oh yes; no one has come close for me since then (or before).

By the time FoTR the movie came out, I had read the book more than a dozen times, so there were no surprises for me, as in unexpected things happening.

Totally different from the experience of people who saw the movies without having read the books before.

What comes closest to being scary was how PJ treated some characters ... Faramir being PJ's worst "sin"; but my reaction to such things was anger.
Edhelharn
Council Member
Send Message
Shelob and Moria never scared me. I'm not scared of spiders and I knew the events in Moria. I'd read the books, I knew what to expect, and I was pretty prepared for everything except the parts that weren't actually in the book.

The scariest part for me was in Rivendell when Bilbo turned into the zombie-fied version of himself. It wasn't exactly a scare, it just made me jump because it was so unexpected.
Image Image Love is the strongest force the world possesses - Mahatma Gandhi
Members Online
Print Friendly, PDF & Email