Register

<< First2627282930Last >>
Author Topic:
calenmarwen
Realm Leader of Lórien
Send Message
Post RE: The Hobbit film
on: December 21, 2011 09:38
Ah, I kinda wondered if that was the first time he'd gone to Moria, but Dol Guldur would make more sense.
"There is more in you of good than you know ..."
Elainiwen
Council Member
Send Message
on: December 21, 2011 10:19
Loved it. It really brought out the real feel of the book, marvellous.
Veaglarwen
Tech Admin & Co-Themer
Send Message
on: December 21, 2011 11:29
I'm SO excited to see this movie! I haven't really been up on the latest of the Hobbit but seeing the trailer reminded me of the wonderful days of old when Imladris and the Shire felt like home. *g*

MallornHugger
Council Member
Send Message
on: December 22, 2011 03:07
I finally saw it last night! And wow. It was definitely worth waiting two and a half hours for (dial up equals very slow video loading), and I'm more than likely to watch it over, and over, and over again. I absolutely loved seeing and hearing the Dwarves sing, I can see it becoming the new "Edge of Night." I also already have a new favorite line from the movie, "I can't go running off out of the blue, I'm a Baggins of Bag End." Did anyone else just love his hand motions during that scene?

I'm wondering if we'll hear about some of Aragorn's or Numenor's history with the Shards of Narsil. Maybe Elrond will come up to Bilbo as he's examining it and explain the importance of it?

A curious scene for me was the small shot were we see Elves (the background of distinctly Rivendell, so I'm assuming they're Elves) circling Bilbo and the Dwarves on horseback. I always assumed the Dwarves entered Rivendell safely, but I guess PJ wanted to put some early tension in there?

Gollum coming out at the end was amazing, Andy Serkis hasn't lost his touch, or his voice. But the Ring looked a little out of place there, even though it's a magical ring in a dark, dank cave.

I also agree with everyone else, the soundtrack sounds like it's coming along great!

I think I've used up a bit of my Hobbit energy now, I'll have to reload later.
SongofNimrodel
Council Member
Send Message
on: December 22, 2011 10:20
Like so many others, the dwarf song was my favorite part pf the trailer. But i loved it all! It was noce seeing all the things looking forward (or back) to LotR - mkakes it feel complete. I've been super excited for but also worried about the Hobbit movie. This trailer has made me more excited and less worried.
starofdunedain
Council Member
Send Message
on: December 22, 2011 05:47
A curious scene for me was the small shot were we see Elves (the background of distinctly Rivendell, so I'm assuming they're Elves) circling Bilbo and the Dwarves on horseback. I always assumed the Dwarves entered Rivendell safely, but I guess PJ wanted to put some early tension in there?

I did wonder about that scene but I assumed it was something else. I would have like the dwarves and everyone to have the more humorus entrance in the book (I like the elves comments about Bilbo and the dwarves, 'mind Bilbo doesn't eat all the cakes!') but I agree they might think they need more tension in the movie.
Aowyn
Resident Shieldmaiden
Send Message
on: December 23, 2011 02:42
Speaking of elves, I sure hope they have Bilbo and the dwarves trying to join the Elven feast in Mirkwood..but I guess that will be in the second movie most likely.
Erucenindë
Head Of Oromë
Send Message
on: December 24, 2011 04:58
A good point MallornHugger. I wonder if PJ is gunna keep the elves serious, like the were in LOTR, in order for there to be continuity? It is always odd that the elves act so different in each book. Maybe somehow he will get across that these are merrier times... or something.
Ilandir
Council Member
Send Message
on: December 24, 2011 06:28

I did wonder about that scene but I assumed it was something else. I would have like the dwarves and everyone to have the more humorus entrance in the book (I like the elves comments about Bilbo and the dwarves, 'mind Bilbo doesn't eat all the cakes!') but I agree they might think they need more tension in the movie.

Unless it's a formal farewell from the Elves to the Dwarves as they embark on the journey (after their short stay). The reason behind this is the Elves' attire - they seem to be dressed up in sort-of ceremony clothes and they're carrying banners - which wouldn't quite fit with the whole scouts holding them up before their entrance to Rivendell issue.

Plus, I don't believe I see Gandalf in there...

Speaking of elves, I sure hope they have Bilbo and the dwarves trying to join the Elven feast in Mirkwood..but I guess that will be in the second movie most likely.

Probably not, Aowyn. It's most probably going to be in the first film. If you analyze the penultimate shot in the trailer, with Bilbo and the Ring, you'd notice that the place is NOT Gollum's cave - but rather Mirkwood. You can see Bilbo in spider webs and other tangled dwarves in the background. Now, this being the trailer for the first film, it's safe to assume that the Mirkwood scenes will be in the first part ... at least, that's just a guess!
starofdunedain
Council Member
Send Message
on: December 24, 2011 07:35
Good catch Ilandir! I had just assumed it was part of Gollum's cave or something but you're right. It is the spider forest. That explains why the ring is sitting there so obviously.

PJ's gonna have a lot of fun with the spiders isn't he? *hides behind couch*

I still wonder where they'll do the split? Maybe as they approach Lake Town on the barrels? Or even leave Bilbo to figure out how to get the Dwarves out of prison?

[Edited on 24/12/2011 by starofdunedain]
Ilandir
Council Member
Send Message
on: December 24, 2011 10:03
PJ's gonna have a lot of fun with the spiders isn't he? *hides behind couch*

Oh yes he is! I can't wait to see little Shelobses running around getting stung by a hobbit's Sting!

I still wonder where they'll do the split? Maybe as they approach Lake Town on the barrels? Or even leave Bilbo to figure out how to get the Dwarves out of prison?

I'm not sure, but recently, there have been articles covering the latest location shooting that stated the barrels sequence being shot for 'The Hobbit: An Unexpected Journey' - somehow, it seems to point to that sequence being in the first film. But of course, we can't be sure of that.

Personally, I've always rooted for two options:
- When the Dwarves are caught by the Elves in Mirkwood, and Bilbo is forced to sneak behind them (would provide for a good cliffhanger)
- Or else, as they escape by the barrels with Bilbo looking at the Lonely Mountain in the distance.
MallornHugger
Council Member
Send Message
on: December 24, 2011 02:21
I can see the Hobbit ending with the Dwarves and Bilbo staring at the Lonely Mountain off in the distance, similar to how the Fellowship ends, with Sam and Frodo just entering Emyn Muil and seeing the fires of Mount Doom. And I can see 'The Hobbit: There and Back Again' beginning with Thorin & Co. and Bilbo being met by some very confused and annoyed Laketown guards.

Returning to the Elves for a brief moment, I think we will see 'merrier' Elves in the Hobbit. We have Bret Mckenzie (Figwit) in the confirmed cast, as the elf Lindir. Lindir's moment of fame in the Lord of the Rings is for teasing Bilbo for his poetry, and claiming that Elves can hardly tell Hobbits apart. Maybe there will be a scene in Rivendell featuring the Hall of Fire, with the Dwarves, Bilbo, Lindir, and a few other Elves singing a few songs.

I have a tiny, though very doubtful, hope that the Elves that we see in the trailer around the Dwarves and Bilbo could include Elladan and Elrohir. The Elves we see match Tolkien's description of the twins, and it would be plausible that the two could be at Rivendell at the same time the Company passes through.
lanthiriel1
Council Member
Send Message
on: December 26, 2011 08:07
I trust that it will meet my expectations. I have had LOTR and numerous other Tolkien works including The Hobbit read to me since I was a young child. I have also read them myself. I certainly hope that it's worth it.
--- Lanthiriel Tolwen "Not all those who wander are lost."-J.R.R.Tolkien
TundraFire
Council Member
Send Message
on: January 05, 2012 11:36
Like everyone else I was pretty excited about the trailer, I'm very interested to see Gandalf and his seperate "journey".
eowynshue
CoE Volunteer
Send Message
on: January 13, 2012 02:58
Cannot wait for this film to come out! Watching the trailer made me remember all the good times that were had on this site many, many moons ago (apparently I last commented nearly 8 years ago! Shocking. Still remembered my password atleast haha). Hopefully more people will come back in the run up to the release.

Couldn't believe it when they said Richard Armitage would be playing a dwarf! Not just any dwarf either, but Thorin! Never thought of the dwarves being younger looking haha. Looks like a good choice though. And Kili! Gorgeous. Didn't realise he was the guy from Being Human. Can feel the fangirlness emerging already. The casting just seems brilliant, Martin Freeman makes a great young Bilbo.

December seems such a long way off!
Ilandir
Council Member
Send Message
on: January 14, 2012 04:54
Anyone seen the new picture of Martin Freeman as Bilbo?

http://herocomplex.latimes.com/2012/01/14/the-hobbit-an-unexpected-journey-new-photo-peter-jackson-martin-freeman/
Erucenindë
Head Of Oromë
Send Message
on: January 14, 2012 06:01
Oh goodness! Looks like he's had a rough time with the goblins. Great picture.
Ilandir
Council Member
Send Message
on: January 14, 2012 06:43
Oh goodness! Looks like he's had a rough time with the goblins. Great picture.

I think it's more him after the battle with the spiders in Mirkwood ... see the cobwebs!
Erucenindë
Head Of Oromë
Send Message
on: January 14, 2012 09:39
Oh, I guess you are right. It just seemed like he was in a cave lol
MallornHugger
Council Member
Send Message
on: January 14, 2012 04:36
Several people think this is the naming of Sting from the book, and it certainly does look like that.
Ilandir
Council Member
Send Message
on: January 15, 2012 09:53
Several people think this is the naming of Sting from the book, and it certainly does look like that.

Yeah it certainly does ...
hobbitsrock
Council Member
Send Message
on: January 16, 2012 12:04
Have you noticed that in the trailer there is a scene in which you can see Gloin and on the left hand side Bilbo's hand holding the picture of a woman? Who do you think this could be? I personally think that it could be Gloin's wife (Gimli's mother). However, she does not seem to have a beard, hehe.
MallornHugger
Council Member
Send Message
on: January 16, 2012 02:50
Have you noticed that in the trailer there is a scene in which you can see Gloin and on the left hand side Bilbo's hand holding the picture of a woman? Who do you think this could be? I personally think that it could be Gloin's wife (Gimli's mother). However, she does not seem to have a beard, hehe.

I've seen that! Several people from The One Ring.net have also noticed it too, while doing a frame-by-frame analysis, and they came up with the same hypothesis as you. Here's a link to it (warning: it is spoiler filled):

http://www.theonering.net/torwp/2011/12/23/51649-first-hobbit-trailer-torns-frame-by-frame-analysis/#more-51649

I believe it is also Gimli's mother and Gloin's wife. It's been noted that she seems to have a bit of dark shading around her mouth and chin, perhaps that is her beard?
~nólemë~
Fan Creations Admin & Creations Forum Moderator
Send Message
on: January 16, 2012 11:35
I've just seen the picture. Considering they shaved most of the dwarves' beards off or shortened them, it makes sense that they would have a beadless dwarf-woman or child. (although then, why Aragorn's joke about bearded dwarf-women in TTT?) It would be a pity though, they could get some humour out of a picture of a bearded wife. :/

I've just browsed the first pages of spoiler photos, and find it fascinating that at the moment, I mind storyline changes much less than the casting/appearances. Kind of ironic, as less than half a year ago, it was the other way. I was really looking forward to Martin Freeman, but having seen the pictures, I'm not so sure anymore. Perhaps he'll look different in the movie itself, but so far in the images, he just looks too much like Pippin from LotR. Anyone else suspecting they style the actors after the most popular ones from LotR? O_o
---------- Image "If more of us valued food and cheer and song above hoarded gold, it would be a merrier world." J.R.R. Tolkien - The Hobbit
starofdunedain
Council Member
Send Message
on: January 17, 2012 11:08
I don't think he looks like Pippin Nólemë, I think he just looks like a hobbit. I'm really happy with how Bilbo looks.

Considering they shaved most of the dwarves' beards off or shortened them, it makes sense that they would have a beadless dwarf-woman or child.
I don't think it looks like they've shaved the dwarves beards except for Kili.
And if you look at the closeup picture of Gloin's small portrait he had it does look like his wife? has a shadow of a beard.

I don't know that they're styling the actors but I do think they're trying to retain that overall LotR feel because unlike us a lot of people need to have a reminder and be able to connect The Hobbit to LotR since they don't have their noses in the books or rewatch the LotR EE films twenty times over like us.
starofdunedain
Council Member
Send Message
on: January 17, 2012 11:33
On a slightly different note is anyone else digging out their old Rankin-Bass Hobbit vhs tape? I haven't seen it in forever so I decided to watch it. Now that I'm watching it, it seems quite silly to me.

[Edited on 17/1/2012 by starofdunedain]
hobbitsrock
Council Member
Send Message
on: January 17, 2012 11:40
On a German Lord of the Rings fansite people had the opinion that this was the picture of a hobbit woman - supposedly some love interest for Bilbo. I really do hope that this is not the case! Bringing in a love interest for Bilbo would be a bit too far off from canon. But I really think it is more likely that this is Gloin's wife. But it would be really funny if she had a beard. "Its the dwarves that go swimming with little hairy women" lol
~nólemë~
Send Message
on: January 17, 2012 12:14
I don't think he looks like Pippin Nólemë, I think he just looks like a hobbit. I'm really happy with how Bilbo looks.

Sure thing, opinions tend to vary. Young Bilbo reminds me of movie-Pip quite a bit though. The facial expressions, the loose white shirt... don't know, maybe it will look different in the film. I hope.

I don't think it looks like they've shaved the dwarves beards except for Kili.

Bombur and his super-moustache come to my mind as well. :> And basically all of them except for about 3 or 4. Considering they are all supposed to be older than Aragorn in LotR (I think) in this story, I should suppose they'd have enough time grow some fine beards. Before the 'they can't look identical' chorus starts again - if one can distinguish hobbits all in curly wigs and big feet, elves in long blond wigs and pointy ears, then one can also distinguish Dwarves in long beards. There's plenty of compensations to pick in their outfits, weapons, beard- and hair-styles. But long beards tend to not attract fangirls, which I believe is the true problem.

I don't know that they're styling the actors but I do think they're trying to retain that overall LotR feel because unlike us a lot of people need to have a reminder and be able to connect The Hobbit to LotR since they don't have their noses in the books or rewatch the LotR EE films twenty times over like us.

Yes, which is why it would make sense for me to differentiate Dwarves as a race -and as the public remembers them from LotR- from RotK corsairs of Umbar and Rohirrim.

[Edited on 19/1/2012 by ~nólemë~]
---------- Image "If more of us valued food and cheer and song above hoarded gold, it would be a merrier world." J.R.R. Tolkien - The Hobbit
starofdunedain
Council Member
Send Message
on: January 17, 2012 02:07
True enough, I still miss their colored hoods.
MallornHugger
Council Member
Send Message
on: January 25, 2012 11:13
Is anyone else unhappy with the new description of Tauriel, as a "warrior elf"? I, personally, think this doesn't look good...

On a different note, did anyone notice that some of the Dwarves, including Thorin, were smoking, possibly Pipe-weed, in the trailer?
starofdunedain
Council Member
Send Message
on: January 25, 2012 11:57
I'm also extremley unhappy with the description of Tauriel and no I did not notice them smoking in the trailer. I'll have to watch it again.
~nólemë~
Send Message
on: January 25, 2012 12:18
No guys, you're not alone. The more I see of the film, the more unhappy I get about it. The new addition of a badass female is just another move in the direction of mediocre fantasy, away from the actual Middle-earth. But what I loved about Tolkien was that it was so different from the other works. :/ This girl just sounds like such a Mary-Sue, which is all the harder for me to bear since the movie's kind of an 'official' representation of the book, as it calls itself The Hobbit, and not "PJ's Twist on Middle-earth". And it's hard to assure fans that someone's role won't be big if she's head of the guard or whatnot.
starofdunedain
Council Member
Send Message
on: January 25, 2012 12:36
I agree with you nólemë, if Tauriel has as big a role as these interviews seem to indicate I won't bother to see the second film. I went on a rant in the comments section so I'll restrain myself here.
Erucenindë
Head Of Oromë
Send Message
on: January 25, 2012 01:02
Me hates strong female roles who are so cliche.

I'm sorry but I can't stand unrealistic female roles such as hers would be. Especially the kind where, "we're so bad and nobody can touch us and we can kill or do anything better than anybody in the whole world". I mean really. "She knows how to wield any weapon"? Probably the type that is fighting in the army because something personal happened, and nobody can get to her emotionally except for that one guy.

This worries me... that she is too perfect and "badass". Oh ya, like a Mary Sue.

[Edited on 1/25/2012 by Erucenindë]
starofdunedain
Council Member
Send Message
on: January 25, 2012 01:40
^ This exactly.
<< First2627282930Last >>
Members Online
Print Friendly, PDF & Email