Register

<< First2829303132
Author Topic:
Leoflic_Nightleaf
Council Member
Send Message
Post Re: The Hobbit film
on: November 13, 2012 01:34
No offense, but are you seriously believing everything you see about the Hobbit online? I mean, even i can make something that looks that real more of less, and claim that's actually what its going to be like. If you can give me a link to the ACTUAL set (like on Amazon or something) and i can verify it is being sold be someone ACTUALLY associated with New Line Cinema and stuff, then i might believe it.
Erucenindë
Head Of Oromë
Send Message
on: November 13, 2012 02:14
Goblin King Amazon

*shrugs*

You can click to see bigger pictures. Seems to be somewhat official.

You can also view many other Hobbit action figures.
Aragorn16Estel
Council Member
Send Message
on: November 13, 2012 02:44
Thanks for posting the link, It seems as if that is the design for the Goblin King.

I agree Leoflic_Nightleaf, you certainly can't belive everything you see online but this is a mass produced figure, and now that I think of it, I am sure it is in the film tralier! At the end, I never throught it was the great Goblin.
The Lord is my shepherd; I shall not want. He maketh me to lie down in green pastures: he leadeth me beside the still waters. He restoreth my soul: he leadeth me in the paths of righteousness for his name's sake. Yea, though I walk through the valley of the shadow of death, I will fear no evil: for thou art with me; thy rod and thy staff they comfort me. Thou preparest a table before me in the presence of mine enemies: thou anointest my head with oil; my cup runneth over. Surely goodness and mercy shall follow me all the days of my life: and I will dwell in the house of the Lord for ever. - Psalm 23
LinweSingollo
Movies & Casting Mod, Resident Hobbit & Frodo's Footstool
Send Message
on: November 13, 2012 07:58
I purchased the Sibley Movie Guide for The Hobbit which has a chapter devoted to the Great Goblin, and the goblin king action figure looks very similar to the image they had in the book. So yes...I think we can say it's official.
"To the Hobbits. May they outlast the Sarumans and see spring again in the trees." J.R.R. Tolkien
Ilandir
Council Member
Send Message
on: November 13, 2012 08:51
Just by looking at the final shot in the second trailer, one can confirm how the Great Goblin will look like ...
Aragorn16Estel
Council Member
Send Message
on: November 15, 2012 12:09
Yep it seems its offical.... Oh dear...
The Lord is my shepherd; I shall not want. He maketh me to lie down in green pastures: he leadeth me beside the still waters. He restoreth my soul: he leadeth me in the paths of righteousness for his name's sake. Yea, though I walk through the valley of the shadow of death, I will fear no evil: for thou art with me; thy rod and thy staff they comfort me. Thou preparest a table before me in the presence of mine enemies: thou anointest my head with oil; my cup runneth over. Surely goodness and mercy shall follow me all the days of my life: and I will dwell in the house of the Lord for ever. - Psalm 23
Leoflic_Nightleaf
Council Member
Send Message
on: November 15, 2012 11:37
Oh rats! That is quite ridiculous! Well, so long as they get the rest of the movie right...
LinweSingollo
Send Message
on: November 16, 2012 07:00
I take it no one was expecting the Goblin King to look like Jabba the Hut's second cousin. Just out of curiosity, what were your expectations for him?
"To the Hobbits. May they outlast the Sarumans and see spring again in the trees." J.R.R. Tolkien
Aragorn16Estel
Council Member
Send Message
on: November 17, 2012 04:10
Lol not exactly, Well I was imagining somthing like Alan Lees drawing of him combined with one of the moria Goblins from FOTR. This, "thing" they have made, for me does has little resbleance with Orcs, it looks more funny and stupid and cruel and evil, I really have no idea why the team would of done this, when they have made everything else in the film imo, so great.

I look forward to the special features on the disc to find out what madness created this "Goblin"
starofdunedain
Council Member
Send Message
on: November 17, 2012 04:52
Looks a bit trollish. Typically I think they're going based off of Alan Lee and John Howe's illustrations so...
http://elvenesse.net/blog/wp-content/uploads/2012/09/great-goblin-by-Alan-Lee-the-hobbit.jpg By Alan Lee and
http://www.john-howe.com/portfolio/gallery/details.php?image_id=392
by John Howe.
But I agree it doesn't seem like the orcs we saw in LotR. Maybe because the Great Goblin King has been underground his whole life doing nothing but eating?
tarcolan
Movies Moderator and General Dogsbody
Send Message
on: November 17, 2012 05:42
What's all the fuss about? I can find no description in 'The Hobbit' of the Great Goblin except that he was tremendous, and he's certainly that. Expectations are a downer, eh?
Erucenindë
Head Of Oromë
Send Message
on: November 17, 2012 08:59
I think he looks fine. Just like a fat goblin!
Aragorn16Estel
Council Member
Send Message
on: November 17, 2012 09:49
I have never seen Johns Picture, thanks for the link. I personally prefer Alan's, well I think the fact of him being Fat is ok, he is a great lazy oaf I should imagine. But its his lack of Evil, he just looks dum, and whats with the giant chin-type-thing?

The best way I can describe my feelings towards it is like a large percentage of modern films, they focus on special FX, Gore etc. They lack any style or class, and the great Goblin for me is the same - he's tacky, cheap

One thing on anouther matter is his voice, his voice I think could save him from being a tremendous pile of blubber, anyone know who is voicing the Great Goblin?

Ilandir
Council Member
Send Message
on: November 18, 2012 01:31
I think everyone is being a bit too harsh on his appearance. He looks like a great big goblin to me - and aside from the skin colour and face, he looks just like John Howe's painting.

And who is voicing the Great Goblin? ... why it's comedy legend Barry Humphries (aka. Dame Edna).

But he's not only voicing him, the actor's own face has been motion captured to capture all of the expressions and emotions of the Goblin (like Serkis for Gollum). I have no doubt that Humphries will provide the finishing touch to an excellently portrayed character.
tarcolan
Send Message
on: November 18, 2012 04:05
So, a goblin with an Aussie accent. Great. As long as he steers it away from his other alter-ego, Les Patterson.

Edit: Will there be giants?
Aragorn16Estel
Council Member
Send Message
on: November 26, 2012 07:25
Just saw Production Video # 9, looking good, saw a bit of the great Goblin, still unsure on him but I imagine he will grow on me. Also heard the trolls voices! They sound Fantastic!

tarcolan - do you mean the stone giants? If so yes they were in the Tralier I belive.
Lastiel Rusc
Council Member
Send Message
on: November 27, 2012 11:40
Okay going away from the the discussion about the Great Goblin...who was able to watch the streaming video of the Hobbit Premiere? I was able to watch some of it and It's got me even more excited to see the movie even though it's about 18 or so more days till the release in theaters.
'If they have a fault it is distrust of strangers. Though their magic was strong even in those days they were wary. They differed from the High Elves of the West, and were more dangerous and less wise.' ~ Flies and Spiders The Hobbit
Taug anin ú-daug.
LinweSingollo
Send Message
on: November 28, 2012 06:13
I did. I happened to have the night off, so I started watching it around 2 a.m. It was like a family reunion, watching the return of some old friends and family, as I like to think of P.J. and Co. When I think back to all the hassle they had trying to get The Hobbit off the ground, it was pretty awe-inspiring to see this finally happening. Loved watching the actors pop out of those marvelous hobbit holes!
Grifo
Council Member
Send Message
on: December 04, 2012 09:04
The wait is almost over... I suppose it is the second longest wait for something in my entire life. Once rumors about the hobbit film started to come, I gave a prospected visit as vips to the cinema as a bd present to one of my best friends whom I share a special Lotr rotk cinema experience with. That's been like 8 years ago or something since I promised these tickets and finally we'll be going to the premiere coming Tuesday night as vip in Amsterdam. Just a few more days....
Grifo
Council Member
Send Message
on: December 04, 2012 09:08
Next time though, if one of the silmarilion stories are becoming films I'll wait until everything is official before promissing bd cinema tickets..
Lindarielwen
Council Member
Send Message
on: December 09, 2012 09:38
Peter Jackson is doing a lot of backstory for The Hobbit from the Appendices at the end of The Return of the King. He has suggested that we read from Appendix A....Durin's Folk.

A star shines upon the hour of our meeting
My destiny is riding again, rolling in the rain, unwinding in the wind. My destiny is fighting again, secretly unwinding..what it was I was supposed to say...to say to you today.
Lastiel Rusc
Council Member
Send Message
on: December 09, 2012 11:06
I know, I'm trying to get to the appendices (already re-read the Hobbit and working on the LOTR before I see the movie in theater)...And I've already had quite a few discussions about people regarding the fact that the book is being turned to three movies instead of one or two....obviously a few people just don't want to try to read that nor do they care that the movie studio has the rights to that since it is part of a published work. (The people that I'm speaking of are all on my FB page and I have never had this discussion with any council members.)

Now that I've said that...It also sounds like PJ is doing a lot of fleshing out of characters (All of the dwarves) which will help encourage more fans to fall in love with Middle Earth again.
'If they have a fault it is distrust of strangers. Though their magic was strong even in those days they were wary. They differed from the High Elves of the West, and were more dangerous and less wise.' ~ Flies and Spiders The Hobbit
Taug anin ú-daug.
Lindarielwen
Council Member
Send Message
on: December 10, 2012 06:47
I think it is wonderful that Peter Jackson is making 3 movies out of The Hobbit. I have been watching his interviews all week and he is encouraging everyone to read the appendices especially the one on Durin's Folk. We are going to get a lot of background on the dwarves and their history.

My destiny is riding again, rolling in the rain, unwinding in the wind. My destiny is fighting again, secretly unwinding..what it was I was supposed to say...to say to you today.
Lindarielwen
Council Member
Send Message
on: December 10, 2012 07:40
So who is going to see The Hobbit this weekend? I am going on Sunday, Dec. 16th.

Erucenindë
Head Of Oromë
Send Message
on: December 10, 2012 10:08
I will be seeing it on Friday.
Lastiel Rusc
Council Member
Send Message
on: December 10, 2012 11:41
I'll be going to the midnight release. I'm rather surprised that the city that I'm going to be traveling to will have it on opening night though...
Taug anin ú-daug.
LinweSingollo
Send Message
on: December 11, 2012 09:19
I probablty won't get to see it until the 17th or 18th.
Grifo
Council Member
Send Message
on: December 11, 2012 09:33
That was quite an adventure! But worth the wait. Next wait has just begun...
starofdunedain
Council Member
Send Message
on: December 12, 2012 06:56
I'll be seeing it on Sunday. I decided not to risk triggering my migraines and am sticking to 2D.
Lindarielwen
Council Member
Send Message
on: December 12, 2012 08:31
A lot people do not like the 3D and have had trouble with headaches while watching it. I am seeing it in 2D but I would like to see it in the new 3D 48fps.

tarcolan
Send Message
on: December 13, 2012 05:07
Ordinary 2D film is 24fps but each frame is displayed twice, effectively 48fps so no flicker. The main reason that 3D is uncomfortable is that each eye gets alternate 24fps flicker, inducing headaches and nausea. The new frame rate gives each eye 48fps so should be a lot better. The benefit for 2D 48fps is less blurring of movement. The main question seems to be whether we want a more real experience, especially with a fantasy film. Think Arthur Rackham illustration versus a photograph.
Erucenindë
Head Of Oromë
Send Message
on: December 13, 2012 08:52
Regardless, I am watching it in 2D because I simply hate 3D. It's not enjoyable to me.
Feyna
Council Member
Send Message
on: December 13, 2012 09:16
Haven't quite decided whether to watch it in 2D or 3D. Is anybody gonna dress up? I might, or at least wear my One Ring to the movie. ^^
Erucenindë
Head Of Oromë
Send Message
on: December 13, 2012 09:42
Several of us are dressing up. Me (and some of my family), Mareth_Ravenlock and her siblings, and Lindarielwen are a few that I know of.
calenmarwen
Realm Leader of Lórien
Send Message
on: December 13, 2012 02:16
I wore my One Ring earrings but didn't dress up otherwise. So *bounce, bounce* has anyone else seen it yet? Don't worry I won't do spoilers.
"There is more in you of good than you know ..."
<< First2829303132
Members Online
Print Friendly, PDF & Email