Register

<< First2829303132
Author Topic:
JeroGeris
Council Member
Send Message
Post Re: The Hobbit film
on: December 13, 2012 10:32
I could post my personal review and opinion of the film. I make a promise of no spoilers, no specifics, just a general review.

I went to the midnight premier of "The Hobbit". Last night, I enjoyed it quite a bit. I knew it wasn't going to have the same, "dark tones" that the "Lord of the Rings" have, because it is based off what in the 1930's was considered a suitable children's story. The music was wonderful, the city of Erebor stunning, it had one part that I felt almost got a bit too silly, (Radagast that wasn't in the actual
book for that long more mentioned really), but it is "a movie interpretation" After all, Peter Jackson took out almost 3 and a half chapters out of the beginning of the fellowship of the Ring and there where barely any complaints, but for the tolkien purists. I still believe that the Fellowship of the Ring was visually more impressive, but I will be fair to say that it was a movie that suffered a lot of delays and production direction changes, and considering how much action is in it....it is impossible to make a movie this fast paced look flawless. all in all it was a great movie and I will probably go to see it again. I would recommend it to others as well. My only word of advice when it comes to enjoying this movie, is don't expect the book, and don't expect "The Lord of the Rings" after all....It's Bilbo's Story book about dragons, dwarves and Treasure....it is suppose to be much more silly than "The Lord of the Rings."

8/10

I have a suspicion that Part two will be much stronger and much more Jackson-esque because it will no longer have any traces of the leavings of the jaring production shift after the departure of Guilimore del Toro. So if you see this movie and some of the little bugs erck you, I would really suggest that you stay tune for part 2 still. I am sure this series will only get better. I will dare not spoil it but seriously....the riddles in the dark scene in Unexpected Journey was HILARIOUS.
Erucenindë
Head Of Oromë
Send Message
on: December 14, 2012 11:59
Well saw the Hobbit tonight! Here is me and my family who dressed up (I'm on the far right):

(more on the costumes in the costume section)

Anyways, overall, LOVED the movie! PJ did a great adaptation and it was splendid. All the acting was great, and I loved the little tie-ins to LOTR that where in the movie.

However, I have a couple bones to pick.

*****SPOILERS***** (highlight to read)

1. I don't like all of Thorin's "dramatic looking into the camera". It happened too much and it got old.

2. Some of the action/fight scenes seemed forced. Like they had to add more action to something that didn't necessarily need it. And thus it seemed not as good.

3. The pale faced orc. I don't understand this character at all. No need for him whatsoever. He seemed rather stupid and unnecessary. Like the company needed another adversary, and the personal vendetta between pale face/Thorin was cheesy.

That is really all I noticed that bothered me. Everything else was excellent I think.
Cillendor
Council Member
Send Message
on: December 14, 2012 02:32
The pale-faced Orc was Azog, the one who killed Thror. I think his part was added to give the Company a more intelligent, dangerous enemy than just the Trolls and Goblins. Also it will probably serve as a plot arch between all three films.

His design bothered me a little, though. He looked really similar to the zombie leader in I Am Legend.
PotbellyHairyfoot
Grandpa Moderator
Send Message
on: December 15, 2012 09:56
I've now watched the movie in both 3-D HFR and regular 3-D and I have to say that the reviewers that complained about HFR are full of it!! I preferred the HFR version and found it much better to watch.
Eruwestiel_Evensong
Council Member
Send Message
on: December 15, 2012 10:55
We just saw the Hobbit. And we where the only ones dressed up at the showing we went too. I agree with you Eruce. There was more action than story. It was a bit cheesy. But I think it was OK. I'll be interested to see what they do with the next ones.
"And I dreamed of seas and ships, and of waves crashing on the shore in the twilight of the world..." ~Song, member of the Realm of Ulmo
Lord_Sauron
Council Member
Send Message
on: December 15, 2012 01:05
I am glad you all saw it I still have to wait until the 26th when it will be released in Australia
Harad
Council Member
Send Message
on: December 16, 2012 07:53
I agree with the comment that the reviewers who complained about HFR are full of it. I did not see the 24fps version, but the HFR was perfectly acceptable. Rather than being jarring I found it to be not distinguishable from a standard film. Not sure why that is the case, but maybe because I am used to big screen HDTV?
Lindarielwen
Council Member
Send Message
on: December 16, 2012 10:04
I saw the movie today in 3D 48fps. I loved it and would not change anything. I do not think there was any unneeded violence. Battles have violence. All the characters Peter Jackson brought in helped us understand the reason for the quest in the first place. I will see it again and again.

Lord_Sauron, you do not have much longer to wait.

A star shines upon the hour of our meeting
My destiny is riding again, rolling in the rain, unwinding in the wind. My destiny is fighting again, secretly unwinding..what it was I was supposed to say...to say to you today.
Erumelmo
Council Member
Send Message
on: December 17, 2012 01:05
I saw the movie three times on the 14th itself. Loved it. I have written a huge review of it on my blog (www.thehobbitfilms.wordpress.com) and I shall say that it was a lovely film! Most of my expectations were duly met. I saw it in 3D 24fps. Tomorrow I am going to see it for the 4th time in the HFR version. Pretty excited all over again!
"Why? Because I'm afraid and he gives me courage."
Lindarielwen
Council Member
Send Message
on: December 17, 2012 07:43
Eruceninde you all looked really great in your outfits. Very nicely done! Were there other people dressed up as well?

a star shines upon the hour of our meeting
My destiny is riding again, rolling in the rain, unwinding in the wind. My destiny is fighting again, secretly unwinding..what it was I was supposed to say...to say to you today.
Lindarielwen
Council Member
Send Message
on: December 17, 2012 07:44
Erumelmo, how wonderful it is that you are seeing The Hobbit so many times! I shall see it again and again as well.

Erucenindë
Head Of Oromë
Send Message
on: December 17, 2012 08:54
No Lindarielwen, we were the only ones. Several people commented on our costumes and a couple of people even asked for our pictures, which was cool.
sunrain
Council Member
Send Message
on: December 18, 2012 01:54
I honestly was a little disappointed in the film and storyline.. a lot was changed and added but thats what most movies do to the book.. Yes i will still watch it again and buy it the day it comes out on DVD.. but it defiantly did not excede expectations or meet mine at all really.. Did anyone else feel this way ?
Cillendor
Council Member
Send Message
on: December 19, 2012 03:24
Not one bit! I meant to see it twice before I came home for Christmas break, but that fell through and I only saw it once. But I'm watching all the Lord of the Rings movies with my little brother this week because my dad is taking us to see The Hobbit on Saturday. We are so pumped. I'm 22, my brother is 9.
hobbitsrock
Council Member
Send Message
on: December 19, 2012 03:29
I was as fortunate as to already watch it on December 12th as a preview. Generally, I liked the movie very much, especially the funny scenes. I thought the scenes adapted from the book were very good, but I didn't like some of the added stuff so much. I think PJ is very good at adapting Tolkien, but some of the stuff he invents is, well, sometimes good and sometimes not. I thought for example that the whole Azog stuff was not necessary. However, the scenes I really enjoyed were at the beginning when the dwarves come into Bilbo's house, those were really great to watch. I also thought that it was a good idea to tie in old Bilbo, because I think that many people who didn't read the books otherwise would have thought it was a sequel to Lord of the Rings.
BerethEdhellen
RPG Moderator & Mistress of the Sea
Send Message
on: December 24, 2012 09:42
Okay, my daughter took me out to lunch and then to see "The Hobbit..." as a Christmas gift. We saw it in 3D, though I think I would have been just as happy to see it in 2D. Did I enjoy it? YES!

From the introduction of the dwarfs to Bilbo's house, to the singing by them of the "Misty Mountain" to the march across country ending up at Rivendell, the meeting of Elrond and Thorin, the sit-down with Saruman, Gandalf, Galadriel and Elrond, the falling into the depths of the cave by Bilbo and meeting with Gollum, to the true *chuckles* "cliff hanger", to the very end where the eagles dropped them off, I loved every minute of it. Granted, not all of the above were in the teeny book titled "The Hobbit" but if anyone has read the Sil and the appendices, they'll know that a lot of the stuff fits in.

I try not to analyze too much the first time I see a film, particularly one of fantasy, but rather I like to immerse myself in the sights, sounds, etc. I can always wait for a second or third viewing to pick it apart, unless something during the first viewing catches me up and either annoys me outright or I simply find it jolting or too far from the original story to accept. A couple of things did that here:

The fight in the orc caves and the vendetta between Azog and Thorin. No, Linwe and Eruce, seeing Thorin's face staring into the camera didn't bother me at all...I think he's absolutely adorable and a hunk. *laughing*

But some of the things that delighted me were:

Martin Freeman as Bilbo. I said (and if anyone wants to roam back a few years to ?? (I don't know where I left it) ages ago that I thought he would be perfect, think I even put up pics side by side of him and Ian Holm at the time. And he is.

I agree that Frodo looks much older ...well, perhaps more mature and chisled-boned...now than he did back then. Actually, he looks much more like he should have then. Still, the intro by Ian and Frodo helped anyone who didn't know the pre-story to understand it better.

Howard Shore! What can I say? I loved the way he wove themes from LOTR (the Hobbit, Ring and Frodo-recovery/friendship themes to mention a few) into this film while introducing new themes specifically for this movie (the Misty Mountain theme has become the 'group' theme for the dwarfs). It was so well done but then Shore's music always has and always will touch me in the depths of my soul.

Neil Finn's rendering of the Misty Mountain theme during the credits...made me cry.

I figure if a film can bring tears to my stoic, hard-headed daughter's eyes (hey, it always does for me so I don't count), it's off to a good start. *grins*

Soooo, I'll wait until I see it again, probably in 2D, before I get too critical. Meanwhile, the 3D 48fps took a few scenes for my eyes not to blur and wander but it was okay after that. I just think it will be easier for me to see it in 2D so I'm not worrying about glasses, blurs, movement, etc. so I can watch more closely.

And I do wish we had a "PREVIEW" button to push so I could see what I've written and what mistakes I may have made. *hint hint*

If you're waiting for someone to tell you to go see the movie, I will do so.
Life is good! Live it to the fullest. Love well those near and dear. "You cannot step into the same river twice, for the waters are ever flowing on ....." Heraclitus I Aear cân ven na mar
Lord_Sauron
Council Member
Send Message
on: December 25, 2012 11:25
I saw the Hobbit today and i actually liked it i watched it in 2D but may go and see it agian but in 3D
Lindarielwen
Council Member
Send Message
on: December 26, 2012 03:13
I am so glad you liked it Lord_Sauron. I have already seen it in 3D and plan on seeing it in 2D next time. The 3D was great and you get 3D glasses that say "The Hobbit" on them.

Manephelien
Council Member
Send Message
on: December 28, 2012 06:56
I really enjoyed it, a fun romp, yet faithful to the spirit of the story. Already looking forward to the next one.
Precious!
Amaille_Valin_Idhren
Council Member
Send Message
on: December 28, 2012 10:24
I watched the hobbit last week in 2D.

That was awesome I really enjoyed every part of the movie.

but I keep wondering How old is Thorin? And how long a dwarf's lifespan?
Lindarielwen
Council Member
Send Message
on: December 28, 2012 11:07
Thorin Oakenshield was close to being 200 years old in The Hobbit. He was born in 2746 T.A. and The Hobbit took place around 2941 T.A. or so. The average life span of a Dwarf is about 250 years.

Amaille_Valin_Idhren
Council Member
Send Message
on: December 28, 2012 11:26
well somehow he looks too young
Lindarielwen
Council Member
Send Message
on: January 01, 2013 09:16
Today I saw The Hobbit again in 3-D HFR. It was more wonderful than the first time and I think it was because I sat in a different area. The first time I was in the toppest row and I do not think the sound experience was very good way up there. I was in the middle this time and the 3-D HFR was wonderful. I tried to catch the moth when Gandalf released it and I ducked when a flaming pinecone came straight off the screen right at me. It is a breathtaking movie. I do want to see it in 2-D though, just for comparison.
BerethEdhellen
RPG Moderator & Mistress of the Sea
Send Message
on: January 02, 2013 10:23
Lindar...I did the same thing with the moth. *grinning*
Life is good! Live it to the fullest. Love well those near and dear. "You cannot step into the same river twice, for the waters are ever flowing on ....." Heraclitus I Aear cân ven na mar
starofdunedain
Council Member
Send Message
on: January 06, 2013 06:33
It's interesting to see how different people react to the 3D. I must not be able to see it as well because all it did was give the film depth for me. I never felt like anything was going to come at me.
Lindarielwen
Council Member
Send Message
on: January 06, 2013 08:10
Starofdunedain, do you know which 3D you have seen? Mine was the 48fps (HFR)version. Perhaps yours was the 24fps.
starofdunedain
Council Member
Send Message
on: January 06, 2013 12:55
It was the 24fps, but my mom said she felt like the objects flew at her so I'm thinking it's just me?
Lindarielwen
Council Member
Send Message
on: January 06, 2013 09:17
It seems like all of us are seeing the 3D in different ways. Maybe it depends on your eyesight.
Lindarielwen
Council Member
Send Message
on: February 05, 2013 12:33
I have just heard that The Hobbit will be released on DVD on March, 19, 2013, No word on an extended as of yet....but keep March 19 in mind. I will be ready to buy my DVD on that day. Oh, I cannot wait!

The Desolation of Smaug comes out in 10 months and 1 week!!!!
Lindarielwen
Council Member
Send Message
on: April 11, 2013 08:00
The Desolation of Smaug comes out in 8 months!

I watched The Hobbit again today and my friend wanted to check out the captions version. It was really great to actually see the words on the screen and it made it easier somehow to hear what was being said. At the end, the words to Lonely Mountain were on the screen so that was a bonus.
<< First2829303132
Members Online
Print Friendly, PDF & Email