Welcome Guest 

Register

Author Topic:
k
Cavegirl
Send Message
Post how to...
on: May 31, 2003 04:57
Lots of people seem to be asking for help in this forum. the best place to get help is the newbies forum.. but heres some answers to the basic questions people ask.

avatars/ pictures under your user name

how do i get or change an avatar

to change your avatar go to my account then to change your info.
click on the link saying list. this brings up a new window showing pictures of all the avatars avaliable to you
once you see one you like hover your mouse over the image and note the name.
return to the change your info page.
next to the list button there is a drop down menu- this is alphabetically ordered. find the name of the avatar from this list
a preview of the one you have chosen should appear to the right of this.
save changes.

how do i make my own avatar

although there is a large selection of avatars in the pool, some people have thier own ideas or wish to personalise one with their name.
to make your own you have to use your graphics programme. avatars can be no larger than 60x60 pixels. most programmes will crop and resize a picture. dont forget to save it as .jpg or .gif
to make animated avatars you need a graphics programme that will allow animations- since all programmes are a little differnt then you should follow the instructions that came with your programme.

how do i upload an avatar

your avatar must be uploaded from your computers hard drive. you cannot upload a link.
to get to the uploading page go to my account and then upload avatar.
press browse and find your avatar on your hard drive- press ok.
your avatar will not be accepted if the file size is too big (in animations usually) or if the overal size is bigger than 60x60 pixels. also you can only upload .jpg or .gif

uploading your avatar means that everyone can use it. no matter if you put your name on the file or on the avatar- anyone can use your avatar.

i dont want people using my avatar

sorry but when you upload your avatar you are agreeing that anyone who is a member of the site can use your avatar. do not complain about this, its impossible to change.
personalising your avatar does not mean that others cannot use it. anyone can use an avatar that you upload. if you are not happy about this then perhaps its best not to upload it at all.

you can get a "personal" avatar of sorts by earning enough points- this is designed as a gift for people who help the site grow. to read about this go to my account then user points.

whats BB code and how do i use it/ how do i get quotes, bold etc in my post

when you make a post in the forum you can do several things. make your text bold italic underlined you can create links and
quotes

one way to do this is to click on the buttons just above the text box. eg bold Image

you should then put the typing you wish to be bold between [ b] and [ /b]

or instead of using the buttons you can just type the code in. go here to see the codes that you would use.

signatures

how do i change my signature

to change your signature go to my account then change your info. towards the bottom of the page there is a text box called signature. type your new signature into here- please dont make it too long. if its over three or four lines in the forums we will ask you to change it.

i changed my sig but its still not showing

go back to change your info and make sure that you saved the changes last time. if the changes are still showing there but not in the forum then... go to forums (community> forum) towards the top of the page you will see this:

profile | member list | search | FAQ | Board Rules | Messages | RPG characters

go to profile. and change the details in the signature box here as well dont forget to save changes.
if it still doesnt work the contact a moderator.

how do i get an image/link/colour in my sig

for information about how to use BB code go here

[/u]can i upload a picture on site/ i have a picture on my computer that i wish to use in my signature[/u]

many people find images they want to have in thier signature but do not wish to remotely link the image (this is stealing bandwidth and costs the site you are linking from money... please do not do it)

if you have an image that you want to use in your signature- then you can upload it to your journal and then link it.

go to community then journals. now click on your journal and then add new entry.
fill in the title field and put some text into the main writing box. now click browse and find the image on your hard drive.
you can make it a private entry (one only you can see) by clicking no under the bit saying public:

now press submit. go back to your journal and click on that entry. you should see an image above your text. right click on the image and press "properties" then highlight the whole URL that is displayed.
right click again and press copy. now go to my account then change your info. use the BB code for an image and right click the mouse then press paste. this allows you to link an image into your signature without stealing another sites bandwidth.

any more questions please check out newbies or private message a moderator.
Zander_Cage
Council Member
Send Message
Post RE: how to...
on: October 26, 2003 05:25
Thanks k ive been dieing to know how to and thanks!
sarumans_wolf
CoE Volunteer
Send Message
on: November 06, 2003 06:40
i want to use some images in my siggy put they hav eno direct links. what can i do???
Eloise
Giver of Smores
Send Message
on: November 09, 2003 06:15
Try saving them to your hard disk then uploading them to the CoE journals. Then use K's codes to get it in your sig!
rider_of_rohan32190
CoE Volunteer
Send Message
on: February 04, 2004 01:27
hoe can you have a moving avatar like a movie clip?
Lady~Eowyn
Illusionary Heart
Send Message
on: February 04, 2004 01:44
RoR, this site has some, if those are the kind of avatars your talking about
rider_of_rohan32190
CoE Volunteer
Send Message
on: February 04, 2004 03:43
Thanks very much, Lady~Eowyn

RoR
oceanelin
Council Member
Send Message
on: February 21, 2004 04:37
How can I tell if my sig is over 3 lines? Is it at the moment?

thanks

ervinai
Lady~Eowyn
Illusionary Heart
Send Message
on: March 04, 2004 08:41
A message box will pop up when you're typing stuff in and tell you that you've typed over 3 lines.
Eressëa
Melkor's Apprentice
Send Message
on: April 09, 2004 01:12
Is there any way to make the squary parentesis (the one you use to do all the smart stuff) without copying and pasting it from the FAQ?????
NenyaGold
Legend of Lothlórien & Head Chocolate Thingywidget of Yavanna
Send Message
on: April 10, 2004 02:35
Sure! To the right of the P on the keyboard is the left bracket and to the right of the left bracket it is the right bracket. [ ] :love:
featari_telcontar
Council Member
Send Message
on: June 04, 2005 11:12
Mae govannen, mellyn nin!
How do you change the thing that says 'Council Member' to something else? It's right below your name. Many thanx!

Navear,
Featari
Arthwen_Eruwaedhiel
Council Member
Send Message
on: November 07, 2005 06:27
I believe unless you are an important person to the site such as administator or realm leader that you can't change it.
caliowin
Council Member
Send Message
on: February 19, 2006 08:54
another way of putting up pics:

getting a photobucket account is useful for adding pictures. www.photobucket.com

upload a picture and coppy the url it gives into a sig or post... and voila!

its the purpose the site to provide this facility and is completely free,
Neenime
Council Member
Send Message
Is Photo Bucket the only way to upload photos? I keep trying to put the file name from my hard drive in between the [img] brackets and it doesn't seem to work. Once I managed to post an image, but can't for the life of me recall how I did it.

Can someone enlighten me ? Thanks.
“Some believe it is only great power that can hold evil in check. But that is not what I have found. I have found that it is the small everyday deeds of ordinary folk that keep the darkness at bay. Small acts of kindness and love. " Gandalf
Neenime
Council Member
Send Message
Is Photo Bucket the only way to upload photos? I keep trying to put the file name from my hard drive in between the [img] brackets and it doesn't seem to work. Once I managed to post an image, but can't for the life of me recall how I did it.

Can someone enlighten me ? Thanks.
“Some believe it is only great power that can hold evil in check. But that is not what I have found. I have found that it is the small everyday deeds of ordinary folk that keep the darkness at bay. Small acts of kindness and love. " Gandalf
Neenime
Council Member
Send Message
test image Image
Neenime
Council Member
Send Message
So, I place the url in the space between the image codes . What shows up in the post is the word image as a link. It works, but it's not displaying as the image itself, as I have seen in others' posts. Still not sure what's wrong.
NenyaGold
Legend of Lothlórien & Head Chocolate Thingywidget of Yavanna
Send Message
Neenime, you have captured the URL for the site where the photo exists, not the photo itself.

You need to right click on the photo and capture that url under Properties.

Here's it is before I remove the space between the first [ and img and make it the photo:

[ img]https://photos.smugmug.com/Landscapes/Hanusia-peopleplaces-and/i-QsT8hj7/0/O/DSC_0060.jpg[/img]

and with the space removed:

By the way, if you click "Add Reply" at the top of a thread, you have the option of previewing your post.

P.S. There is a site called Post Image that was created to upload photos for posting in forums. I've used it for a few years now.

[Edited on 07/29/2016 by NenyaGold]
Members Online
Print Friendly, PDF & Email