Welcome Guest 

Register

Author Topic:
Trignifty
Ruler and Court Jester of Planet Awesome
Send Message
Post 1.V. A Conspiracy Unmasked
on: June 01, 2003 04:56
What do you all think about Merry and Pippin choosing to go with Frodo? Do you think they know at all what they're getting into?
What changes do you see in Frodo when he learns of 'the conspiracy'?

On a side note...what do you think of Frodo's dream?

[Edited on 28/1/2004 by Figwit]
Elenisil
Wielder of Lijworld
Send Message
Post RE: 1.V. A Conspiracy Unmasked
on: June 02, 2003 02:44
What I think of Merry and Pippin? I love Merry and Pippin!!! :love:

They're both younger thant Frodo (and I guess younger than Sam too) but being from a different part of the Shire gave them more to develop as hobbits, I guess.

Pippin is the innocense in itself. Always being silly but still responsible when there's a demand for it. He's a Took, and for being a Took he has a bit of adventure in his blood.

Merry has developed leadership skills, I guess, and that's what makes him draw responsiility on his own. Did you notice how he called most of the duties to himself? Like, getting things ready, preparing the bath and dinner? I mean... wow!

They do not know what is await ahead... but the are enjoying the fact that they are all setting out to meet danger together, cos they'll do what they can for each other. And that is enough for a hobbit heart!!

Frodo is t the same time feeling lighter and more concerned. That's what the dream is about, I guess. His companions gave him extra strengh to go on carrying such a burden without leaving the Shire completly behind: there's a vivid memory of it in Merry's and Pippin's spirits. And of course, there's Sam.

The dream is trying to tell him that, although he might be thinking he's happier this way, he's not. I guess it's his uncouncious self telling him to be careful...
Naurlas
CoE Volunteer
Send Message
on: June 02, 2003 10:42
Since hobbits are incredibly curious, it didn't surprise me that Merry and Pippin insisted on going along on the Quest, Merry knew all about the ring after seeing Bilbo "disappear" to avoid the Sackville-Baggins and after that he was forever spying on Bilbo and Frodo to see what adventures they were getting into and as far as Pippin goes, he pretty much dives in wherever Merry decides to go but Chapter 5 tells us that each of them knew Frodo was leaving but that they would stand by their friend regardless of the danger. I think it's still to early for Merry and Pippin to know just what they are getting themselves involved in, even though Pippin saw the Riders, there is still a sense of adventure and optimism that they show, like they still consider this a huge lark and not believing that anything truly bad could happen....Frodo on the other hand, feels the weight of the ring growing heavier and the loss of his old life more and more....

Frodo's dream...a glimpse of where he will end up? Shadows of the future? sounds like a Tolkien tease to me!
Elenisil
Wielder of Lijworld
Send Message
on: June 02, 2003 12:32
Interesting theory about the dream... but I´m more likely to believe that it was what inspired the sequence, not a tease.

The thing is... the storyline was just starting to grow on Tolkien´s mind... so far, not many things are revealled but what can be more directly connected with the Hobbit. So, I think that the dream was the first glimpse of a possible future, even in Tolkien´s mind... but who I am to know it for sure? :dizzy: I wish I had someone´s birdbath ...

[Edited on 2/6/2003 by Elenisil]
PotbellyHairyfoot
Grandpa Moderator
Send Message
on: June 13, 2003 03:42
It seems that as soon as Frodo discovers that he has more company- he decides to brook no more delays and to leave immediately. I think that he seems a little happier that it is not just Sam and him heading off into the widereness. In his speech he seems much more happy/relieved by the turn of events
The dream may almost be a foretelling of frodo's future . Or a look at his present and future - That he is eventually going to get past the Nazgul and eventually he will head to the sea. But first he has to get past the cause of the light and thunder before this can happen.
I assumed that the tower was the one on the Tower Hills - that looks towards the Havens and the Gulf of Lune and the route to the Undying Lands and holds the last Palantir of the north.

(BTW- I have been keeping up with the readings but with a seven day per week work schedule I'm afraid that I haven't had much time to add many comments here- For that I apologize as I know that this forum can only be successful if we comment as often as we can)
eldomeldo
Council Member
Send Message
on: June 30, 2003 12:05
I think that when Merry and Pippin realised Frodo was leaving the Shire, they decided that as he was there friend they would go with him, I think that Merry wanted an adventure, and Pippin being the youngest felt that he wanted an adventure as well. I think Frodo's dream was in away prophetic, it was showing him what the end would be, remember Frodo had heard lots of stories about elves from Bilbo, and no doubt Frodo had heard that when the elves leave middle earth they go over the sea.
sairalinde
Council Member
Send Message
on: July 01, 2003 07:48
I reckon that Merry and Pippin couldn't bare to be left behind! I mean, we are dealing with a Brandybuck AND a Took here, so what did you expect? Family is very important to Hobbits, and they are both incrediably loyal. Frodo needed someone to be there for him, and so he got 3 hobbits instead of one. Basically, i think it was a mixture of loyalty and adventure that spurred Merry and Pippin on to join Frodo in his quest (and Sam, of course.)

As for the dream, i'm not really sure about that. I think that it was a warning to Frodo, to let him know that although he had gain companionship in his quest, he would need more than just friends to get him to Mordor.

Well thats what i think anyway :blush:
LadyEowyn_Of_Rohan
CoE Volunteer
Send Message
on: December 24, 2004 03:07
What do you all think about Merry and Pippin choosing to go with Frodo? Do you think they know at all what they're getting into?
No, I don't think they see just how serious and perilous it really is, but I don't think it matters. They would have stuck with him if they knew, and they would stick with him through the quest, no matter how bad it got.
princess
Council Member
Send Message
on: January 10, 2005 06:23
What changes do you see in Frodo when he learns of 'the conspiracy'?

On a side note...what do you think of Frodo's dream?

[Edited on 28/1/2004 by Figwit]

no i don t think they knew what they were getting into but i think there heart was in the right place in trying to stand up and stick with their friend and relative.
Baranor
Council Member
Send Message
on: February 17, 2005 01:10
No, I don't think they see just how serious and perilous it really is, but I don't think it matters. They would have stuck with him if they knew, and they would stick with him through the quest, no matter how bad it got.

I totally agree.
Legadriel
Council Member
Send Message
on: June 13, 2005 04:44
Seeming as though Merry is my favorite character, this chapter is one of my faves as well.
I really don't think they knew what a great evil the ring was. They just didn't want Frodo to go alone, so they decided that they could go along. They kinda thought it was this day journey or something really quite simple. They didn't understand that they may not be coming back. They thought of it as a journey where they could still eat and all that good Hobbit stuff LOL
Members Online
Print Friendly, PDF & Email