Welcome Guest 

Register

Author Topic:
Mara
Chiquita Banana
Send Message
Post RE: Click here if you are a CANADIAN(eh?)
on: November 12, 2004 05:43
ditto...except I don't have a work schedule at all until Sunday... :banghead: I hate new jobs
PotbellyHairyfoot
Grandpa Moderator
Send Message
on: November 30, 2004 12:34
Happy Hobbit is flying over from England next May for a visit. I'll definitely be showing her around Ontario a bit and we'd love running into other COE people while she is here.
minuial_gil_estel
Send Message
on: December 17, 2004 06:22
Count me in!! That'd be fun!!
elfgurrl
Council Member
Send Message
on: October 08, 2005 05:56
Heya you guys! I live in Ontario...

Canada EH!

lol Anorwen :disco:
Ovëlyn
Council Member
Send Message
on: October 09, 2005 02:47
I tried finding a thread specifically for Canadians and I couldn't find one, so I truly apologise if there is one and I just didn't see it.

With that being said, this is the Thread For All Canadians ::insert dramatic Star Wars-sounding music::.

It doesn't matter where in Canada you're from, or even if you don't live there right now (because I don't :cry: ), just come on and post!

I guess I'll start.

I'm a 26 year old who was born and raised in Toronto, Ontario. Though I have lived in Iowa since December 2003 (my husband is from Iowa (he's the American, hehe) and just before we got married we decided to move to Iowa).

Due to immigration reasons, I haven't been able to go home until now... but NOW I can't go home simply because it's so expensive, haha. So I haven't been able to see my family or my country for almost 2 years and I'm so incredibly homesick! :sob:

Sooooo! Canadians! Come one, come all! You don't have to tell us the city you hail from, the province is more than enough.

Happy posting.

[This initial post moved from 'Calling all Canadians' thread, together with the four posts in that thread. ]

[Edited on 9/10/2005 by Rosearialelven]
Linwe_Saralonde
Council Member
Send Message
on: October 09, 2005 02:47
I'm a canadian and I live in Quebec. By the way, I'm really glad to know they are more of us out there. I don't get why but canadians are somewhat hard to find so go for Canada!
Ovëlyn
Council Member
Send Message
on: October 09, 2005 02:48
Very cool! I've been to Québec countless times and I love it! (:

I think they're just shy, hehe.

*pokes the CoE Canadians that are lurking out there* Come on guys, I know you're reading. Hehe.

*curls up in her beanbag chair and waits* :yawn:
Linwe_Saralonde
Council Member
Send Message
on: October 09, 2005 02:49
Yeah probably. Hey guys come out!! lol. But you know what we should have? A canadian association or something.
elfgurrl
Council Member
Send Message
on: October 09, 2005 02:50
Heya guys! :wave:

Glad I saw this thread: just thinking of starting one like this. :rolling: I live in Ontario, where there semms to be a sad lack of LotR lovers. But it's great to know, Linwe_Saralonde and Ovëlyn, that there ARE Canadians at CoE. :love: You guys rock!

WHERE ARE ALL THE CANADIANS?!?!

Anorwen :disco:

Lady~Eowyn
Illusionary Heart
Send Message
on: December 05, 2005 02:43
For those of you who live in Quebec, is the Roman Catholic Church still a prominant religion/force in your province? I know that the French are very strong believers in their faith (in this case, Roman Catholicism). And I know that there are many churches there. I've actually been there, but I didn't really pay attention to this before... :blush: Anyways, are there still alot of Quebeckers that are Catholic?
Linwe_Saralonde
Council Member
Send Message
on: December 06, 2005 07:50
Well they used to be. Like in 1950, Quebec was mostly dominated by the church (it was sort of linked with politics). But now, the younger generation don't care too much about religion. The whole thing changed during the 1960-70s. If you go to a church in Quebec, there's a lot of chance it will be empty.
Lady~Eowyn
Illusionary Heart
Send Message
on: December 09, 2005 02:01
Would it, perhaps, have anything to do with the Quebec sovereignty movement? That was just my first initial thought, but I wouldn't know...

Another question (I'm sorry, but thoughts have sprung up in my head about moving to Quebec when I'm older soo I just want to know a few things...), the Quebeckers speak Québécois French? Does it differ greatly from "normal" French?
Linwe_Saralonde
Council Member
Send Message
on: December 09, 2005 03:16
No religion is not linked to the sovereignty movement. This movement began in the 1970, I think and most of the religious "obsession" took place in the 1930-60. All of this was because of Quebec's prime minister at the time (did you hear about the Duplessis era?).

Now our language. We do speak Québecois french. We do have some expressions of our own, but I believe we can be understood by other french speakers . One thing you need to know about Quebec slang, is that when Quebec people swear, they use a very wide variety of religious words (must be part of our heritage or something) and believe me, in Quebec, people swear almost for nothing. So that's what I can think about for our french (we have a lot of other slang too, but I guess people learn it when they come here.)
Lady~Eowyn
Illusionary Heart
Send Message
on: December 09, 2005 03:30
Duplessis era...it rings a very vague bell. Ah, I'll look it up in Social Studies class when the weekend's over.

And believe me, when you say that Quebeckers swear for almost nothing, the same can be applied my young generation (high school, essentially) in Western Canada. Even in a Catholic school, although I suppose that doesn't count for much these days. Though they just tend to stick to the well known curses.
Eowine
Council Member
Send Message
on: December 30, 2005 07:01
Are there any CoE members out there who live in or near Whitecourt Alberta, Canada? If so let me know!!
Feuyaer
Council Member
Send Message
on: January 07, 2006 09:34
Yes. Finally. some Albertans
I live in Sherwood Park, which is..what...10 minutes outiside of Edmonton.
Taulaes_Greenleaf_23
Council Member
Send Message
on: January 10, 2006 04:58
Hello fellow Canadains!!!! :wave: I'm from Ontario... Don't know of any groups in my area
elfgurrl
Council Member
Send Message
on: January 11, 2006 12:39
Hello Taulaes, I live in Ontario too, and it's nice to know there are other ringies around.
Eowine
Council Member
Send Message
on: January 14, 2006 07:55
Hey, Feuyaer! Yes, it is good to know there are other Albertans on the Council. I am going to broaden my query and ask if there are any other Albertans out there.
hobbithole_dweller
Council Member
Send Message
on: February 24, 2006 01:52
Is anyone going to the Gathering of the Fellowship convention this July? I could be a good way for a bunch of us to meet up .
Laergellwen
Council Member
Send Message
on: February 25, 2006 06:00
hello...
I'm half Canadian (my mom's Albertan) but I don't live in Canada...
Sugar_hi_Took
Council Member
Send Message
on: February 25, 2006 09:08
I'm from Delta, about a 15 minute or so dirve from Vancouver BC. There's a few fans here but not a lot.
Anyone wanna get anything started??? Spring break is around the corner (well, mine has been happening for awhile) so I'm sure mor people will have the time to organize something. even just a lunch or something.

[Edited on 16/3/2007 by Sugar_hi_Took]
Mara
Chiquita Banana
Send Message
on: March 01, 2006 05:04
At the end of April I'll be Albertan. I'm moving to Banff for the summer, then off to live in Calgary
Eowine
Council Member
Send Message
on: March 06, 2006 07:07
Welcome to Alberta Mara!! I hope you enjoy Banff and Calgary.Where are you moving from? I live near Mayerthorpe(about an hour and a half northwest of Edmonton).
Mara
Chiquita Banana
Send Message
on: March 18, 2006 06:00
I'm moving from Southern Ontario I have a couple of friends living out in Alberta (one in Calgary and one in Edmonton) who say I'm already Albertan (the one in Calgary calls me his adopted Calgarian, lol).
Eowyn_the_White_Lily
Council Member
Send Message
on: June 29, 2006 11:21
Hey fellow Canadians! (and South-Western Ontarians in particular) :wave: I'm from the middle of nowhere about half-way between Stratford and London. Anybody in that area?
Anyway, nice to know there are so many other Canadians out there!!!!!!
minstral_of_the_dawn
Council Member
Send Message
on: October 06, 2006 11:09
Hey out there! Who's out there from the great north. Up in the free-est land of all! CANADA!!!!!

Psst...I am!
Linwe_Saralonde
Council Member
Send Message
on: October 06, 2006 11:09
I'm from Canada!! From which province are you? I'm from Quebec. Any quebecers on this site?
minstral_of_the_dawn
Council Member
Send Message
on: November 02, 2006 03:39
I'm from Toronto But I went to Quebec And Calgary I LOVE YOU CANADA!!!
MeiLin
Council Member
Send Message
on: December 02, 2006 09:57
Hey there. I'm from Calgary Alberta. Just wondering if there was anyone else who lived in the prairies.:love:
Haldir_Eldar
Council Member
Send Message
on: December 08, 2006 06:54
Hey everyone.. I'm a Canadian too.. Mississauga, Ontario! Anyone nearby?
starspray
Council Member
Send Message
on: December 22, 2006 01:59
Hi eveyone,
I'm from lethbridge, AB. I haven't met any LotR fans yet and I would really like to. How can I "meet" someone?
Halbarad_Dunedain
Council Member
Send Message
on: December 24, 2006 10:00
Good to see so many Canadians on this site! Anyone from good old Toon Town? Or am I the only one?? lol
minstral_of_the_dawn
Council Member
Send Message
on: December 28, 2006 04:30
Hey everyone.. I'm a Canadian too.. Mississauga, Ontario! Anyone nearby?

Haldir_Eldar I'm near to you! I'm not going to get specific, but I'm near you!
ElfmaidenofLorien
Council Member
Send Message
on: December 28, 2006 04:37
my mom is Canadian and I have been there many times. a lot of my family lives there too.
'Not even the gods above can separate the two of us, no nothing can come between you and I.'
Members Online
Print Friendly, PDF & Email