Welcome Guest 

Register

Author Topic:
Council Member
Send Message
Post War Movies!
on: July 12, 2003 07:46
Anyone like them? Good! I'm not the only one. Which ones are your faves?
I like Band of Brothers!

[Edited on 12/7/2003 by k]
eowynshue
CoE Volunteer
Send Message
Post RE: War Movies!
on: July 12, 2003 09:26
im not overly into war movies, but i really want to see that new joaquin pheonix one!
pippinsscarf
Council Member
Send Message
on: July 12, 2003 11:27
I LOVE war movies!!!

I like The Thin Red line if you havent seen you should very good!!!

Diva
Viggo Vixen, Supplanter of Arwen & Anti-Hugging Harpy
Send Message
on: July 14, 2003 05:39
glory is one of the greatest movies of all timme...very moving. I would recommend that anyone go out and rent it!
Alyanome
Norn av Urd
Send Message
on: July 25, 2003 05:16
Nothing beats finnish war movie (first version)
* Unknown Soldier
Then I like, no, I love Band of Brothers!!! Watching 'Bastogne' (or whatever was the name) was like.. I felt like I was there myself!
3rd my fav is Full Metal Jacket.
Alyanome
Norn av Urd
Send Message
on: July 25, 2003 05:28
Oh my! Almost forgot!
You can forget Full Metal Jacket from my list, here's two really good movies:
* Savior
* No Man's Land
They are reality, they are all about war and doesn't need explanation.
Made in Europe, I think.. at least No Man's Land is.. (won Oscar btw)
Scothia
CoE Elder Sister
Send Message
on: July 25, 2003 05:42
My husband owns (and loves) Band of Brothers, Patriot , and Gettysburg. He has Saving Private Ryan too but doesn't think as highly of it. He intends to buy Gods and Generals and
We Were Soldiers Once.

He also has Braveheart and Henry V which contain excellent battle scenes.

And who can forget that TTT is coming out--Helm's Deep will go down as one of the greatest battle scenes of all time. But then, war movies are usually thought of as being related to some actual historical event. (Okay--I'm treading on thin ice here. )

Ithiahir
Council Member
Send Message
on: July 25, 2003 03:27
i do! i just can't watch em now (*i have friends overseas. nuff said*)

Black Hawk Down

Pearl Harbor (*they don't need a gushy luv story in it!!!!!!*)

Saving Pvt. Ryan

U-571

We Were Soldiers

i can't think of any others right now. haven't seen Band of Brothers yet though. we played the piece in orchestra that the music was based off of (*enigma variations, nimrod by elgar*). it was so moving!!! and we played the music too. it's great. i wanna see it now!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Fíriel
Enethdan Edhellen
Send Message
on: July 25, 2003 03:47
I like watching war movies -- and I don't know why! Most people would say it's not my thing, but as always, I'm drawn to it like a moth to a light; the fact that I love history (esp. the period of the world wars) might be a factor...

I enjoyed 'Band of Brothers' too! I've watched most of the forementioned movies, and I liked 'Saving Private Ryan' the most, as well as 'The Dirty Dozen'. Although 'Gladiator' isn't a war movie, it has some excellent battle scenes as well, and is one of my fav movies (for more than just the battles though!). Some of the other movies I don't like ( ::cough:earlharbor::cough:: ), but that's only because I'm one of those idealistic nitpickers...

[Edited on 26/7/2003 by Fíriel]
ashe
Council Member
Send Message
on: July 26, 2003 03:56
I love war movies.
My favorite war movie of all time is Black Hawk Down. Windtalkers was also a good war movie.

I have not seen Band of Brothers yet.

[Edited on 7/27/03 by ashe]
Keterai
Palantír/Collectibles Mod, & Ninja Extraordinaire
Send Message
on: July 26, 2003 07:01
I haven't seen very many war movies but one that I like is "All's quiet on the western front". "Pearl Harbor" is another one I like .
Figwit
Book Club Moderator & Misty Mountain Monster
Send Message
on: July 27, 2003 04:26
There are only two war movies that I actually liked: The Thin Red Line and Full Metal Jacket; and both are very much anti-war, like me.

I hate movies with gratuit violence though.
SadisticYoda
Danger to Mankind
Send Message
on: July 27, 2003 12:57
I think the best "war movie" has to be "The Longest Day", an old movie about operation overlord. (Normandy Invasion) It has some really good actors in it, and according to my Dad, all the great Male actors of the time it was made. (early 1960s)
TheBaggins
Council Member
Send Message
on: July 28, 2003 02:41
Only one person mentioned the great war movies of the 40's to 60's. The recent war movies owe much of their ideas to these oldies. John Wayne was the greatest War Movie (and Western) Actor of all time - I recommend these ones from that period: -

Sands of Iwo Jima
Green Berets
They Were Expendable
Flying Leathernecks
Wings of Eagles
Fighting Seebees

The great thing about these movies is they were pretty clean, no swearing, gory bits, just good hard stories. Check 'em out.

[Edited on 28/7/2003 by TheBaggins]
AzniNtEgRaElf
Council Member
Send Message
on: July 28, 2003 10:13
black hawk down is good, saving private ryan is good, but tears of the sun is also good... but very depressing...
gaelowyn
Council Member
Send Message
on: July 29, 2003 03:33
Just rented Gods and Generals... way too flowery of dialouge for my brain this weekend. If i was in the right frame of mind, I could see where it would be really good. Otherwise, here's a small sampling:
Platoon
Full Metal Jacket
Saving private Ryan
Rob Roy(ok, not full on war movie)
Blackhawk Down
Tora Tora Tora
the Longest Day
the eagle has landed
the dirty dozen
Band of Brothers
Pearl Harbor
Braveheart
Patriot
South Pacific( yes, it's a musical, but it IS set in WWII)
Sommersby(ok, this is a POST civil war movie, but it's still good!)
Gone with the Wind
1776(yes, another musical, but this one is the Revolutionary War)

whew, I'm sure I could list some more if i tried!

[Edited on 29/7/2003 by gaelowyn]
Lozza
Elven Huntress
Send Message
on: July 29, 2003 06:45
I like war movies... My favs are:

1) Lawerence of Arabia
2) The Dam Busters (the book was even better!)
3) The Thin Red Line
4) U-571 (but it should have been Brits)
5) The Dirty Dozen
6) Braveheart
7) The Patriot (though some parts annoyed me)

I have to admitt though, that I am a greater fan of war novels. Almost everything that I know about modern history has be learnt from reading biographies and autobiographies of those who served during the Great War and WW2.
My latest read is called Night Fighter and it is brilliant!!!
haldirluv
Council Member
Send Message
on: August 01, 2003 02:44
I've just started to get into war movies... and I think some of them are very good! I haven't seen very many though, Black Hawk Down, Pearl Harbor, and the Patriot..

7) The Patriot (though some parts annoyed me)

I agree! The fight scenes were great, but some of the other scenes were really cheesey...

Ithiahir
Council Member
Send Message
on: August 01, 2003 02:55
yes, i will admit. pearl harbor is kinda bad, but i'm into it more for the story. i just kinda ignore the stuff that isn't really part of the attack. but if it focused more on the attack, i'd like it a lot better. it didn't need the sappy love story. ewwwy!
Elven_Sweetheart
Council Member
Send Message
on: August 02, 2003 05:23
OMG i :love: war movies My favs would have to be:
1.)Black Hawk Down- i loved this movie...not just because of orli though thats the only reason i rented it:blush:.But once i saw it it was dang good
2.)Band of Bro.- this was a wonderful movie though very long but still good the only things i hated was when the guy got crushed by the tanks and the sex.The rest was good.
3.)Gangs of New York- this was pretty good though i am more of a guns gal then a knief gal but still in my top 5
4.)TTT- there were some wonderful fights in this movie.the only reason it is number 4 is because this wasn't a full fleg war movie but still in my top 5
5.)We were soldiers- this movie was great! i loved it and it was so sad in places but i loved it.

Now my lest fav:
1.)Pearl Harbor- this movie had good battles but it was mostly lovey dovey crap and i don't like that.
2.) The patriot(?)- it was good and sad but cheesy in places.
3.) Full metal jacket- i didn't even see all of this movie i only saw to when the guy blew his brains out. I hated this movie.

I really can't remember anymore right now but i will think of them
White_Lady
Council Member
Send Message
on: August 04, 2003 01:12
1.)Black Hawk Down- i loved this movie...not just because of orli though thats the only reason i rented it:blush:.But once i saw it it was dang good

I did the same!!! I rented it just becouse there were josh and orli, but when i saw it, i loved it!! All the whole film crying.. (well, not all xDD)
I like Pearl harbor too...okay, i rented it because josh its in there, but now I love it....And the love story is good, but its me, i like love stories.....xDD
and, well, i have seen more war movies, but i dont remember them! xDD

what about The pianist? it's considered a war movie? if yes, i like that too..
Fíriel
Enethdan Edhellen
Send Message
on: August 04, 2003 01:47
I like war movies... My favs are:

1) Lawerence of Arabia

That movie is also one of my favourites (as a 'classical' movie), yet I never considered it as a war movie for some reason...

I have an aversion to many Vietnam-based movies (with the exception of some like 'Good Morning Vietnam'). Only like Patriot because of Heath Ledger, but then, I think that's a good reason to like a movie.
Lozza
Elven Huntress
Send Message
on: August 04, 2003 02:31
I have never really known how to classify Lawerence of Arabia, but the more I think about the more I think that it does really belong in the 'war movies' catagory.
Tricksy-hobbitses
Council Member
Send Message
on: August 05, 2003 07:18
I don't really like war movies. Too bloody. Does Schindler's List count as a war movie? I really like that movie, even though its really depressing.
OlorinTheWhite
Wandering Istari
Send Message
on: August 06, 2003 02:24
No, Schindler's list really can't be considered a war movie, because it is centered around the Holocaust and not the actual war taking place(great movie though). I really liked Saving Private Ryan, haven't seen Band of Brothers or Full Metal Jacket, so I can't say anything about them. If you would count Apocalypse Now! as a war movie(which I do) I would have to say that would be my favorite. Either that or Bridge on the River Kwai: brilliant movie.
Council Member
Send Message
on: August 10, 2003 02:04
ummm...i'm not really into war movies (mostly cause i'm somewhat of a hippie), but has any1 heard of Platoon?
i :heart:love:heart: that movie!
it always makes me want to do something meaningful in my life!
i think the village scene is so sad!:cry:
Elias reminds me of my dad & Chris reminds me of an older (male) me!
i love when they're watching the stars!

[email protected]

lizziekin44
Council Member
Send Message
on: September 08, 2003 09:00
No, Schindler's list really can't be considered a war movie, because it is centered around the Holocaust and not the actual war taking place(great movie though). I really liked Saving Private Ryan, haven't seen Band of Brothers or Full Metal Jacket, so I can't say anything about them. If you would count Apocalypse Now! as a war movie(which I do) I would have to say that would be my favorite. Either that or Bridge on the River Kwai: brilliant movie.

thank you!! i was starting to get nervous going down the list, and no one had mentioned apocolypse now! yet. that is by far my favorite war film, and on my list of favorite films in general. i don't usually go crazy for war films per se, but i have a soft spot for any film that is arty or intelligent. and a.n. is both. besides apocolypse, i feel the need to through in dr. strangelove, because it may not be an offical war film, but it is a cold war/mccarthism film and ultimately ends in the destruction of alot of lives. another kubrick war film i have lot of fondness for is full metal jacket.(people have already mentioned this one )

[Edited on 12/9/2003 by lizziekin44]
eldir
Mirkwood Enigma
Send Message
on: September 09, 2003 03:12
Hmm well I don't really go for war movies. I can watch the news if I want to see blood everywhere. But if I had to pick one it would have to be 'The Patriot', because the acting was perfect (especially in the English camp :love: ). As for cheesy, well, I don't think you could go past the last of Martin's son's soldiers-the ones Martin had made into bullets-giving Tavington the 'don't argue'. Very cheesy. I have to say though that I expected it to kill him...it only served to stain his jacket and make him angry...*image of Blazing Saddles comes to mind-don't hit him, you'll make him angry*

[Edited on 10/9/2003 by eldir]
Hanasian
Council Member
Send Message
on: September 23, 2003 11:32
I watched the old classic Sgt York the other day. Stalingrad is good as well as Cross of Iron.

The only thing I liked about Thin Red Line was the bit Miranda Otto was in, as it was when I first took note of who she was. I was thrilled when I found out she would be Éowyn in Lord of the Rings. Oh yes, the three Lord of the Rings movies are good 'war' movies too. There was the skirmish where Boromir died in the first one, and there was Helms Deep in the second, and there will be Pelennor Fields in the third!

Others? We Were Soldiers, Red Badge of Courage, To Hell and Back, Tora Tora Tora, Seige of Firebase Gloria.

And the TV show Tour of Duty.
Eighth King of Arthedain - It was in battle that I come into this Kingship, and it will be in Battle when I leave it. There is no peace for the Realm of Arnor. Read the last stand of Arthedain in the Darkest of Days.
Hanasian
Council Member
Send Message
on: January 02, 2004 07:27
I hate posting after myself, but for a war movie, check out Cold Mountain!
Eighth King of Arthedain - It was in battle that I come into this Kingship, and it will be in Battle when I leave it. There is no peace for the Realm of Arnor. Read the last stand of Arthedain in the Darkest of Days.
PervyOrcFancier
Council Member
Send Message
on: January 03, 2004 03:37
I LOVE war movies.
I always have.

I liked.. 'Desert Fox' (about Irwin Rommel), 'Saving private Ryan' and a few others whose names I cannot remember.

I would also consider Schindlers List to be a type of war-movie since it takes place during the Second World War, and I would alss say The Pianist could also be a type of war-movie.
and with that said, those two movies are at the top of my "all-time favourite list" anyways.

Do documentaries count? 'cause "The Nazi's" BBC documentary was grand!

Mithiel
Council Member
Send Message
on: January 18, 2004 05:19
I love Band Of Brothers so much. The actors are so good.
Damian Lewis did a wonderful job. I always imagine that he could play the role of Beleg , my favorite character, in The Silmarillon one day. Well, it's just my mad imagination.:drool:
Saving Private Ryan is also my favorite.
Aorelind
Council Member
Send Message
on: March 15, 2004 07:08
Gotta love war movies! Well I do, anyway. Considering I'm a (future) US Navy girl dating a US Marine, it's probably stereotypical, right? Either way, here's my top ten
1. Patton
2. Tears of the Sun
3. Platoon
4. Black Hawk Down
5. Full Metal Jacket
6. Hamburger Hill
7. Saving Private Ryan (Love Giovanni Ribisi!)
8. The Patriot
9. Four Feathers (hey look at that, two Heath Ledger movies right next to each other)
10. Navy SEALS (just for the cheese factor and Charlie Sheen)
glory2glorfindel
Council Member
Send Message
on: March 15, 2004 07:14
glory is one of the greatest movies of all timme...very moving. I would recommend that anyone go out and rent it!

hmm... you sound like my US society teacher... we got to watch it in class! okay, school edited version, but according to her they just took out a guys head being blown up... I thought it was pretty good. Very sad. And does ne one know who played the Colonel? I've been trying to find it, and can't! except that he also played the guy in Princess Bride... yeah.. thanks for any help.

I'm not especially into war movies, but then i'm not especially into movies, so... yeah... to each their own!
eowynandaragorn
Council Member
Send Message
on: May 03, 2004 11:30
yeah, love war movies! Loved saving private ryan, real moving film. it leaves with so many thoughts after. it's great.
Also platoon.

What do u think of the thin red line?
Members Online
Print Friendly, PDF & Email