Register

Author Topic:
Malinornë
FAQ Admin, Quenya Moderator & Eldameldë
Send Message
Post Quenya Workbook news & info
on: July 18, 2003 09:38
Aiya ilquen!
Some of you have already noticed that there is now a Quenya workbook, accessible from "My Account" and via Languages/Workbook in the main menu.
Please notice that this workbook is still under construction and neither Meldon nor I can see what you may have written there. Until we inform you that the workbook is ready, please continue to use the lesson threads and send all answers to the exercises to us by PM.
Hantalë!

Malinornë

[Edited on 6/8/2003 by Malinornë]

[Edited on 24/8/2003 by Malinornë]

[Edited on 30/12/2003 by Malinornë]
Meldon
Council Member
Send Message
Post RE: Quenya Workbook news & info
on: July 19, 2003 10:48
Yeah,
I have to agree with Malinornë, I got mighty confused when I finally got my net connection working and got back here and was asked to check exercises I didn't even know existed... All in fun though

It should be great when we get them all up and running, I can't wait!!

Namárië meldonyar

Meldon
Malinornë
Send Message
on: July 29, 2003 09:22
Just "bumping" this one to remind everyone to PM exercise answers to Meldon or me until we say that workbook is ready!!!
Meldon
Council Member
Send Message
on: July 29, 2003 08:37
Congratulations to mireandune, well done in your exercises!!
Meldon
Council Member
Send Message
on: July 30, 2003 01:39
And to Turinqui,
an almost perfect score!!
You guys are an inspiration

Namárië
Alassiëlindi
Council Member
Send Message
on: July 30, 2003 10:35
Hello--

I just found these lessons. I'm on Lesson 9 of the Ardalambion course and really enjoy Quenya, but find it difficult to compose sentences with the vocabulary because it's not particularly useful in my everyday life. How many kings, queens, willows and warriors do you meet up with every day, after all?

So learning words for fruit and bread is just great! Thanks very much!

Alassiëlindi
mireandune
Council Member
Send Message
on: July 30, 2003 11:52
Congratulations to mireandune, well done in your exercises!!

Well, I thank you, Meldon, but...(can't resist!) you are are being too kind!!! Mirë
Malinornë
Send Message
on: August 06, 2003 10:20
Hi, folks! I´m very happy to announce that the workbook is finally ready for use! We´re still working on the "welcome" page and there will of course be a lot more lesson summaries and exercises, but you can now stop sending PM´s with exercise answers. Please use the workbook instead from now on! New exercises and summaries will be put into the workbook, NOT posted in the forum!
You´ll find the Quenya workbook under "Languages" in the main menu and it´s also accessible from "My account".
Good luck, everyone!!!

Arelle
Council Member
Send Message
on: August 08, 2003 06:18
Aiya Malinornë,
HUZZAH! and congratulations for getting the workbook up and running. I just checked it out and it looks great!! Now we won't be bothering you and Meldon with random lesson pms. You guys are wonderful and make us all happy to be at CoE Quenya. :love:

Congrats,
Arelle
Orofâniel
Council Member
Send Message
on: August 11, 2003 12:31
That's great!!
Weeeeeeee heeeeeeeeeeeee

Malinornë
Send Message
on: August 24, 2003 04:06
The Lesson 6 summary and exercises have now been added to the workbook.
Good luck!
xoelvenprincess424ox
Council Member
Send Message
on: August 30, 2003 03:53
just a quick question, how many lessons do you believe there will be? I know that ardalambion has 20, will there be as many here?
Ersulwen
Council Member
Send Message
on: August 30, 2003 10:04
Can anybody tell me if I`m able to change answers in exersice....bs there was posted only half of sentencence...I dunno why...

[Edited on 1/9/2003 by Ersulwen]
Malinornë
Send Message
on: September 01, 2003 07:36
Xoelvenprincess424ox, there will be at least 20 lessons, since we´re following the Ardalambion course. If people are interested I think we should be able to something with the obscurities in the course appendices, and some Tengwar as well.

Ersulwen, you should be able to change your answers now (you mean Exercise #2 from Lesson 6, right?). If it doesn´t work, send me a PM.

The workbook has just been updated with the Lesson 7 summary and exercises.
Meltdown
Council Member
Send Message
on: September 12, 2003 01:48
Hello all!

I am new to this site and don't really know what's going on! I stumbled on to this site trying to find a way to study the elvish language. I was ecstatic about what is happening here and cannot wait to start learning.

I want to start learning Quenya, but primarily for speaking, not just for writing. My girlfriend :love: and I have always been fans of the Elves and recently decided to learn the language just to speak to each other since it is such a beutiful language.

I admittedly don't know very much so I would like to ask if it is possible? Can one have a conversation with someone in Quenya - I know that talking about the latest computer software and stuff like that is out of the question - but I want to know if a true conversation can take place in the language!
Arelle
Council Member
Send Message
on: September 12, 2003 05:20
Aiya Meltdown,

Can one have a conversation with someone in Quenya - I know that talking about the latest computer software and stuff like that is out of the question - but I want to know if a true conversation can take place in the language!

Absolutely! Quenya is a beautiful spoken language, as well written. Speakng it with your girlfriend will defintely help you use it often enough where you won't feel self conscience about saying a word wrong.

You may want to check out the thread 'Quenya in daily use' by ceocan. Also you and your girlfriend should get plugged into the workbook. Make sure she has a SN and an account so she will have her own personal worbook. Malinornë has done a great job of making the workbook easy to understand. Both of you work at your own pace, helping each other study and such. It will be very rewarding for the both of you.

Best of luck!
Blessed be.
Malinornë
Send Message
on: September 30, 2003 06:55
Aiya ilyë meldonyar,
Just wanted to let you know that the summary and exercises for Lesson 8 are up now.

Orofâniel
Council Member
Send Message
on: October 03, 2003 05:10
Weee Hee!

I'm looking at them right now...Looks great! But I'm afraid I'm going to have to read 6&7 more carefully and do all the exercises before I begin. Luckily I have holidays now..
Malinornë
Send Message
on: October 11, 2003 12:55
Aiya!
Just a short note to say that I'm going to the Philippines for two weeks (work) and will not have internet access all the time. My apologies for not being able to check workbook exercises as quickly as usual. Thanks in advance for your patience! Iavas will moderate this forum during my absence - please be nice to her!
Hugs,
Malinornë
Malinornë
Send Message
on: October 27, 2003 01:26
I'm back! With a huge back-log of exercises to check and the jetlag I'm experiencing at the moment it might take a few days to catch up with everything, but I should manage to have the next lesson summary and exercises up before Sunday. Thanks for your patience, everyone, and thanks for your help with moderating, Iavas!
Iavas
rochvellon
Send Message
on: October 27, 2003 03:05
Mal!!!!

*pounces on Mal*

I'm glad you're home! Hope you had a good trip!

Camannar
Council Member
Send Message
on: October 31, 2003 08:08
I must commend Malinornë and Meldon on the fantastic workbook and all the help that is available in the forums. Its great to see a website that can teach Quenya (without needing to know hard linguistic words) and allows the students to interact with each other. I'll be sticking around for quite a while, that is for certain.

Camannar Isiluinad
Malinornë
Send Message
on: October 31, 2003 11:47
Thanks, Camannar! And welcome!
Malinornë
Send Message
on: November 08, 2003 07:08
The summary and exercises for Lesson 9 are up now
Tari_Niphredil
Council Member
Send Message
on: November 11, 2003 02:13
Ya, lesson 9 is up! Thanks Malinornë!
Camannar
Council Member
Send Message
on: November 20, 2003 03:12
confuddled

I am doing the Ardalambion lessons as well as the CoE lessons and I noticed there were a few differences in words. I just wanted to know what the difference is.

In Arda. they have massa meaning bread, but here there is masta meaning bread? In Arda. there is vanya meaning beautiful, yet beautiful here is vanima. Is malta (gold, Arda.) different to laurea (golden, CoE)?

Just thought I would be inquisitive... Thanks.

Camannar Isiluinad
Malinornë
Send Message
on: November 20, 2003 04:58
Camannar, those were very good questions! Yes, there are some differences in words; this is because many English words can have 2 or more Quenya translations, just as many Quenya words can have several translations in English. In the vocabulary lists for the CoE course I try not to use exactly the same words that are in the Ardalambion course. I do this for two reasons; to help students expand their vocabulary, and to not plagiarize HKF:s course.

Both "masta" and "massa" mean "bread".
Both "vanya" and "vanima" mean "beautiful" or "fair".
"malta" means "gold" (as in the metal), while "laurëa" means "golden" (as in the colour)

I hope this answered your questions
Camannar
Council Member
Send Message
on: November 20, 2003 01:05
Okay, makes sense now. I didn't think about the possibilities of there being more than one quenya word for an english word and visa versa... slipped my head. Thank you for clearing that up for me Mal, its all falling into place.

Camannar Isiluinad
d3niM_aNg3l
Council Member
Send Message
on: December 01, 2003 02:08
what does "Gîl síla erin lû govaded mín" mean again?? can anyone private msg me? thx~!:blush:
Malinornë
Send Message
on: December 01, 2003 09:29
"A star shines upon the hour of our meeting", and it's a Sindarin translation of the Quenya greeting "Elen síla lumenn' omentielvo". You can find more phrases translated on the "Phrases" page, under "Language resources".
Eruanneth_Gell
Council Member
Send Message
on: December 14, 2003 12:21
:love: thank you soooo much for posting the link for the pronunciation!!! The sound bites are very useful! i'm new to the quenya workbook and am now on the fourth lesson and loving it!!!
Camannar
Council Member
Send Message
on: December 16, 2003 09:36
Aiya

I've finally finished the current Quenya Lessons!!!!!!!!! I thought it would take me 9 years. I think I might have rushed through them a bit though, hence a few major stuff-ups... Now the only thing to do is keep reading Ardalambion and await the next lesson at CoE (because I havnt really been learning the Ardalambion vocab... maybe I will do that).

Anyhow, just thought I would write this down so I didn't confuse my parents with all this... I tried to explain to them how Quenya is so much better than English and they got stuck on stress, "what does second to last mean and why does it change from the third to last?"...

The lessons are great Mal, thanks for helping us through .

Cam~
Malinornë
Send Message
on: December 17, 2003 05:05
Aiya Cam!
Congratulations on finishing the CoE lessons so far! Yes, keep reading Ardalambion! I'll make more CoE lessons during my Christmas & New Year holiday that starts on Monday
Poor parents... I can imagine what my husband would say if I tried explaining Quenya stress to him...
Thanks for you kind words!
/ Mal
Malinornë
Send Message
on: December 18, 2003 11:24
Just a note to inform you that my phone has been out of order the last 36 hours... which means no Internet, so I have not been able to correct your exercises in the Workbook. Hopefully, the problem will be solved during the day, but there's no guarantee
I'm sorry and hope you'll be patient. Thanks in advance! :heart:
Camannar
Council Member
Send Message
on: December 18, 2003 11:58
Aiya Mal.

Don't worry about them, take your time I am in no hurry.

Camannar
Members Online
Print Friendly, PDF & Email