Register

Author Topic:
Camannar
Council Member
Send Message
Post RE: Quenya Workbook news & info
on: December 19, 2003 02:24
Aiya

Thank god we have vocab included in the lessons here at the Quenya course... has anyone actually tried to learn Sindarin with the CoE course? It is so different than the Quenya course, everything is so drawn out... and there is no vocab in the lessons (you have to go to a separate page to see the vocab). I wish I had the will power to learn Sindarin, but I think my heart is in Quenya Still Sindarin is a nice language, don't be tempted not to learn it because I find it hard. I find turning the washing machine on equally hard. :dizzy:

Cam~
Malinornë
FAQ Admin, Quenya Moderator & Eldameldë
Send Message
on: December 19, 2003 09:55
Aiya!
Yep, I've tried learning Sindarin with Gildor's course and it has been of great help to me; I owe most of what I think I know about Sindarin to him. I didn't find the lessons to be 'drawn out', but I agree that it would have been easier for lazy students like you and me if there were vocab lists for each lesson
/ Mal
Camannar
Council Member
Send Message
on: December 29, 2003 01:32
Aiya

WOOHOO! A lesson 10 in the Quenya Workbook... *rushes off to learn the vocab*. THanks Mal

BTW, Do you like my Avatar? Hehehe, I made it myself because I liked the picture.

Camannar
lindele
CoE Volunteer
Send Message
on: December 30, 2003 08:40
OK, so I'm kinda new, but just wondering if the workbook is being added onto (doesn't seem like it). Just want to get going.

And oh yeah, washing machines are pretty hard to turn on. EVIL MACHINES!:evil:
Eruantalincë
CoE Volunteer
Send Message
on: December 31, 2003 01:18
You can find the workbook in the menu on the left: languages > workbook.
Malinornë
Send Message
on: December 31, 2003 09:41
OK, so I'm kinda new, but just wondering if the workbook is being added onto (doesn't seem like it). Just want to get going.

The Quenya workbook is being added to, yes. I had to do a break for some weeks, but will try to speed up the tempo. Welcome to CoE!
lindele
CoE Volunteer
Send Message
on: December 31, 2003 01:15
:love: thank you soooo much for posting the link for the pronunciation!!! The sound bites are very useful!

What sound bites? Am I just special and the links don't show up on my computer or what?
Eruantalincë
CoE Volunteer
Send Message
on: December 31, 2003 03:05
What sound bites? Am I just special and the links don't show up on my computer or what?
Well, after all the postings: welcome at CoE. And know one here knows your computer, so with that, I am afraid we cannot help you out. But I can suggest you read the link-topic (resources), for there are a few useful links mentioned, including the soundfiles and several nice tengwar-links.
Malinornë
Send Message
on: January 01, 2004 04:58
WOOHOO! A lesson 10 in the Quenya Workbook... *rushes off to learn the vocab*. THanks Mal

BTW, Do you like my Avatar? Hehehe, I made it myself because I liked the picture.

You're welcome, Camannar! I've just sent Lesson 11 to Naneth, so it should be up as well before long!
The avatar that you made yourself, was it the Gollum one? I find him a little scary, but it was a nice pic!
Tari_Niphredil
Council Member
Send Message
on: January 01, 2004 05:39
Yay Mal! I am so happy! Thank you, thank you, thank you for lesson ten, and soon lesson eleven!!!:love:*is happy*
Camannar
Council Member
Send Message
on: January 01, 2004 06:53
Aiya Mal.

Lesson 11? Thats great! Can't wait.

Yeah it was the gollum one Mal, but i change my avatar nearly every day.

Camannar
Eruantalincë
CoE Volunteer
Send Message
on: January 05, 2004 06:03
For those who haven't checked yet: lesson eleven is uploaded.
lindele
CoE Volunteer
Send Message
on: January 07, 2004 12:22
YAY! LESSON 11!! THANKS SO MUCH MAL!
Sule
Council Member
Send Message
on: January 11, 2004 04:44
Aiya!
I`d like to join you. I tried to study it a bit, but know I want to begin again, can I?
LordTemujin
Council Member
Send Message
on: January 11, 2004 06:53
I will check it out. I need a workbook as I have downloaded a HUGE Qenya lesson book (12 lessons + dictionary, etc) and am having trouble making a concise list of rules for the language. A good effort, I am sure.
Malinornë
Send Message
on: January 11, 2004 08:01
Aiya!
I`d like to join you. I tried to study it a bit, but know I want to begin again, can I?

Of course! Just go to the workbook and begin whenever you like! Welcome!
Sule
Council Member
Send Message
on: January 11, 2004 07:14
Aiya!

Of course! Just go to the workbook and begin whenever you like! Welcome!

Thanks!
Malinornë
Send Message
on: February 09, 2004 10:05
Workbook lesson 12, dedicated to the possessive case, is up now. I try to be careful, but as it's usually easier to spot other people's mistakes than your own, I hope anyone who suspects something strange in an exercise will send me a PM about it!
Malinornë
Send Message
on: February 13, 2004 10:03
Janet (Eruantalincë) has made some very good Quenya crossword puzzles that help practice grammar and vocabulary from the workbook lessons. There's one for Lesson 1-5 and one for Lesson 6-10. You can find them t on the Extra Elvish Practice page (you need to print them to use them):

http://www.councilofelrond.com/modules.php?op=modload&name=EZCMS&file=index&page_id=14
Manephelien
Council Member
Send Message
on: February 25, 2004 07:42
Just finished lesson #1!

How soon can I expect feedback on it?

Now I'm wondering how I'm supposed to pronounce this rather difficult nick of mine. I got it from an Elvish random name generator, but it didn't specify if it was Sindarin or Quenya (or both). Does the spelling even follow Quenya phonology? I'm especially suspicious of the 'ph'. If it is Quenya I suppose it should be spelled Manepheliën... Thanks in advance for any insights you have to offer on this.
Precious!
Malinornë
Send Message
on: February 26, 2004 08:43
Manephelien,
I usually check the workbook exercises every day, so you should expect feedback within 36 hours, though I can't always guarantee it.
The problem with name generators are that they often just put toghether various elements of Quenya and Sindarin, to turn out a word that looks "Elvish". The consonant combination "ph" is not used in Quenya. The diareses (dots over e) is used mainly on final e, but also in some vowel combinations to show that they are not a diphtong, but pronounced separately.
Malinornë
Send Message
on: February 26, 2004 08:44
Workbook Lesson 13 is up now!
linnende
Council Member
Send Message
on: February 27, 2004 12:31
I just started lesson one and wanted to say thanks for the workbook etc. I really want to learn Quenya but haven't been able to find anything to help me until now, so I appreciate it lots!
Malinornë
Send Message
on: February 27, 2004 09:08
Welcome to CoE, Linnende! I'm happy that you find the workbook useful!
Celebrian_Kementari
Council Member
Send Message
on: March 02, 2004 03:00
Aiya.

What's this word "nán" in lesson 13? I looked it up and found it without an accent meaning "but," but nothing with an accent. Did I miss it somewhere?

Hantanyel ar namarië.
Malinornë
Send Message
on: March 03, 2004 08:27
Aiya Celebrian,
"nán" is a typo... "ná"+pron. ending "-n"I'll change it to "nan". Hantanyel! And... there's another typo in the same sentence.... "vor" ought to be "var" :blush:

[Edited on 3/3/2004 by Malinornë]
Celebrian_Kementari
Council Member
Send Message
on: March 03, 2004 02:58
Hantanyel! I feel a lot less dumb now.
Malinornë
Send Message
on: March 07, 2004 10:19
The workbook has been updated with Lesson 14. Please report any typos or such
Celebrian_Kementari
Council Member
Send Message
on: March 10, 2004 02:24
Lesson 14 says Rómen means South. Both Namárië ("Sí vanwa ná, Romello vanwa, Valimar!") and Ardalambion say Rómen is East. I think South is Hyarmen.

Thanks so much for that lesson; I'll do the exercises just as soon as I can.
Malinornë
Send Message
on: March 11, 2004 02:14
Thank you Celebrian! Rómen does mean East, of course! I originally had all the directions listed, but then took out some... and obviously goofed. Thanks for catching that, it will be changed as soon as Naneth can do it for me.
jojo22791
Council Member
Send Message
on: March 18, 2004 08:27
I noticed Lesson 14 was added. Were any of the other lessons changed? (I want to know so I can know if I have to reprint them.)
Malinornë
Send Message
on: March 18, 2004 07:57
Jojo, I'm sorry, but I don't have a list of changes, so I can't tell you for sure. I guess most of the lessons have at one point had a typo or two, but not serious ones, and these have been corrected as soon as I've noticed them, usually within a week or two from when the lesson was uploaded. The best thing I can advise you to do is to compare your print-outs to the workbook lessons. Nearly all changes are for the Exercises, not the Lessons, and most of them concern the "Answer Keys" - that is something only I have access to. In short, I don't think you need to reprint the other lessons.
jojo22791
Council Member
Send Message
on: March 19, 2004 12:33
Ok. Thanks. And umm... That's all I have to say.
jojo22791
Council Member
Send Message
on: March 20, 2004 12:32
I didn't want to start a new thread, and since this question has to do with the workbook, I'll just put it here. My friend and I who are both studying Quenya together were wondering something. We've seen the exercises, and we like them, but could there be some tests? For example, could a test on lessons 1-5, one on 6-10, 11-15 (when 15 comes), and 16-20 (when they come) be made? That way, we know that we're remembering it all. You could even make an exam of all the lessons. It would be helpful to a lot of people. Please consider doing this.

[Edited on 20/3/2004 by jojo22791]
Malinornë
Send Message
on: March 20, 2004 09:02
For example, could a test on lessons 1-5, one on 6-10, 11-15 (when 15 comes), and 16-20 (when they come) be made? That way, we know that we're remembering it all.

Good idea! The second exercise for each lesson (the translations) do bring up the grammar presented in the earlier lessons, so it ought to serve as a "reminder", but I'm not against making "tests" if there's a demand for it. I'm working on lesson 15 now, so the tests will have to wait some time.
Members Online
Print Friendly, PDF & Email