Welcome Guest 

Register

Author Topic:
jojo22791
Council Member
Send Message
Post RE: Quenya Workbook news & info
on: March 23, 2004 01:44
Great! Thanks. I understand how busy you are, so take your time. Thanks again! Wait till my friend finds out! Thanks a million!
jojo22791
Council Member
Send Message
on: March 25, 2004 10:59
Do you have any estimated dates for when lessons 15-20 will be done?
Malinornë
FAQ Admin, Quenya Moderator & Eldameldë
Send Message
on: March 25, 2004 07:48
Lesson 15: by Sunday
16-20: all done before May 15 is my goal.

If you need something to do in the meantime, read lessons 1-14 at Ardalambion and do the exercises there. That will help you learn more than you would by just reading the short lessons here, which are really summaries
jojo22791
Council Member
Send Message
on: March 26, 2004 10:29
Oh. Well I'm not nearly close to being done with 1-14, so I've got sometime. I was just interested and curious. Thanks though. (Hantanyel)

Ryan
Malinornë
Send Message
on: March 26, 2004 11:14
Lesson 15 is done now, but it may take a day or two before it's up in the Workbook.
jojo22791
Council Member
Send Message
on: March 30, 2004 05:51
Just wanted to say that Lessons 15 AND 16 are uploaded. The exercises and all! Just a FYI.

Ryan
Eruantalincë
CoE Volunteer
Send Message
on: March 30, 2004 12:13
Great. I will try to get the flashcards for the lessons 13-15 finished before coming Sunday.
Malinornë
Send Message
on: March 30, 2004 10:37
Eruantalincë, thank you in advance for doing this! :love:
Malinornë
Send Message
on: April 16, 2004 10:09
Important notice:
I will be out of the country (for my work) April 19-26 and will only have sporadic Internet access, if any. This means that you may have to wait until after April 27 to get your workbook exercises graded. I'll do my best to do them as soon as possible, but please have patience.
Malinornë
Send Message
on: May 12, 2004 06:26
The amazing Eruantalincë :love: has written a mini-lesson on Quenya Tengwar for us. You'll find it in the Workbook, last in the lesson listing (but you don't have to complete all the lessons before trying your hand at Tengwar!)

Eruantalincë
CoE Volunteer
Send Message
on: May 13, 2004 02:19
The amazing Eruantalincë :love: has written a mini-lesson on Quenya Tengwar for us. You'll find it in the Workbook, last in the lesson listing (but you don't have to complete all the lessons before trying your hand at Tengwar!)

Note about this course: in the conversion, there happened something strange (I think that the conversion of the Tengwar signs from word into html did not werk out correctly).

I will edit it, so it can be uploaded again.

Edit: I created a pdf-file, which is to be found here. It contains the correct signs. The adobe pdf reader is required to view this file.

[Edited on 13/5/2004 by Eruantalincë]
Malinornë
Send Message
on: May 14, 2004 10:33

Note about this course: in the conversion, there happened something strange (I think that the conversion of the Tengwar signs from word into html did not werk out correctly).

Are you sure about that? I think the problem is rather that one must have the correct fonts on one's computer to see the tengwar letters that are not saved as images. At least that's how it seemed to me when I checked from work. It looks good at home, where I have the fonts.

I created a pdf-file

That's great! Could you please send it to me, so that it can be uploaded to CoE also?
Eruantalincë
CoE Volunteer
Send Message
on: May 15, 2004 07:35
Are you sure about that? I think the problem is rather that one must have the correct fonts on one's computer to see the tengwar letters that are not saved as images. At least that's how it seemed to me when I checked from work. It looks good at home, where I have the fonts.
I checked it once again, and I saw that the font used was Tengwar Sindarin instead of Tengwar Quenya. But I do not exactly know what the difference between the two fonts is.
Edit: I created a pdf-file, which is to be found here.

That's great! Could you please send it to me, so that it can be uploaded to CoE also?
Just click on the word "here" in the original message.

Fíriel
Enethdan Edhellen
Send Message
on: May 15, 2004 03:52
I checked it once again, and I saw that the font used was Tengwar Sindarin instead of Tengwar Quenya. But I do not exactly know what the difference between the two fonts is.

Just popping in here:

Eruantalincë, could you tell me what happened that was so strange? Is it that the tengwar is scrambled (which would be a HTML problem), or if the tengwar looks different? If the problem is the latter... there's no difference between Tengwar Sindarin and Tengwar Quenya except for style and in the names, therefore you can use Tengwar Sindarin to write/display the Quenya mode and vice versa.

Fíriel
Eruantalincë
CoE Volunteer
Send Message
on: May 16, 2004 12:12
It was scrambled. That wouldn't be much of a problem, but the strangest thing was that the poem was scrambled too and I could not change that (which I could in the 'normal' text) into Tengwar (neither T-Quenya nor T-Sindarin). That is why I thought it might be better to create a pdf-file, so the fonts would not change.
Náredhil
Council Member
Send Message
on: May 16, 2004 04:20
hey, i have a good suggestion. If you are having problems with the tengwar font, i have found a really good font that me and another member on CoE write letters to in full tengwar via email. It's really helpful, and easy to use. It can look normal or when italicized look like the description on the ring. Also, there is a vast table that lets you do practically any tenwa or accent, a really helpful table i say. It's called "Tenwar Annatar" here is the site, i hope you check it out:

http://home.student.uu.se/jowi4905/fonts/annatar.html

*hope you figure out what's wrong *
Malinornë
Send Message
on: May 16, 2004 04:33
It was scrambled.

Thank you for the pdf

The html version is also good to have, so I'll ask Naneth to make the necessary changes. I don't understand very well what you mean by "scrambled", though. These are the only mistakes that I've noticed so far:

- the Roman names of some tengwar are displayed in Times instead of Verdana (?) as the rest of the Roman text
- there is an unnecessary space between tengwa 3 and 4 in "hrívë"
- there are no empty lines in the appropriate places in the poem

If there are more, please let me know.
Eruantalincë
CoE Volunteer
Send Message
on: May 16, 2004 02:06
It does not matter for those who prefer to use the pdf-file. For those who prefer the html-file, the T-Annatar (or T-Sindarin) font certainly is.

Which reminds me: I have only T-Quenya, T-Cursive and T-Elfica installed; perhaps that is the problem for the html-users, for the Tengwar marks are in T-Sindarin.

Because only the Tengwar signs were scrambled (did not display as Tengwar but as the Roman-type equivalents), not the "ordinary" text.

[Edited on 17/5/2004 by Eruantalincë]
Malinornë
Send Message
on: May 16, 2004 06:51
Thanks for explaining!
Then it does sound like the problem is with the fonts installed on your computer. It surprises me, as they are from the same font family and ought to be interchangable.
The "font instruction" page people see before they can get to the html tells them to install all T fonts, so it shouldn't be a problem, but I'll ask Naneth to make that information clearer, or change the font.
The pdf should be up shortly.

Fíriel
Enethdan Edhellen
Send Message
on: May 16, 2004 07:32
Hello Eruantalince,

I certainly can see some problems, esp. in the poem; there are a few tehtar and punctuation marks missing, but I can't see anything major, like the letters mixed up or in an incorrect order.

Because only the Tengwar signs were scrambled (did not display as Tengwar but as the Roman-type equavilents), not the "ordinary" text.

Ah right, I understand; you don't have the Tengwar Sindarin fonts installed, therefore the Tengwar just looks like Roman letters. I believe that font was chosen to keep in line with the other tengwar stuff on COE which already used the TS font, including the Sindarin tengwar lessons, so the user wouldn't have to install additional fonts. I suppose the mini course can be reformatted to display using the Tengwar Quenya font, but the only differences between the two are really the name and the look of the fonts.
~Mirimë~
Elf Maiden of Loríen
Send Message
on: May 25, 2004 11:04
I only have Tengwar Quenya.
Eruantalincë
CoE Volunteer
Send Message
on: May 25, 2004 02:07
Don't worry, if one has only got T-Quenya it does not matter. The PDF-file shows the correct signs, even if one has not Tengwar installed at all.
~Mirimë~
Elf Maiden of Loríen
Send Message
on: May 27, 2004 10:21
Ok, thanks!
Malinornë
Send Message
on: May 29, 2004 10:48
You may have read elsewhere on the site that Rivka is upgrading the software. It may take some days before everything is fully functional, and sadly, one of the things affected is the workbook. Right now, it doesn't work at all
So we'll just have to have some patience and wish Rivka all the best with her hard work for this site
Malinornë
Send Message
on: June 05, 2004 10:02
I'll be abroad (in Kenya and Rwanda) on a business trip June 6-18 and though there's supposed to be internet access at at least one of the hotels, I can't guarantee that I'll be able to grade workbook exercises very often during that time. My apologies. Thanks for your patience.
Malinornë
Send Message
on: August 04, 2004 08:16
Just a repost of this message in this thread as well, to make sure everyone sees it.

What will happen?
Starting in two weeks time, I will make some changes to the exercises, as there are really too many of them now that we have 17 lessons (the 18th is being proofread).
There will be only two exercises for each lesson, and the vocab tests will be incorporated in exercise 1 or taken out altogether. Each exercise will also be made a bit shorter.
(I plan to put together a "self-test" page with the exercises (inclucing answer keys) that were removed from the workbook).

What do I need to do?
If you want to keep your answers to the vocab tests, you need to copy them to your own computer before August 9. Remember, this applies to the vocab tests only. Your answes to exercise 1 and 2 will remain!
Malinornë
Send Message
on: September 19, 2004 04:03
I'm sorry about the lack of updates in this thread, but rest assured, the workbook is still being updated!

Lessons and exercises 18-20 were published about a month ago, and I'm happy to announce that we will have more new material added soon.

dirk_math has generously offerend to write some additional lessons based on the appendices to the Ardalambion course, and also other material. The first of these lessons deals with the partitive plural and is up already! Go have a look - it's very interesting Hantanyel, dirk_math!

[Edited on 19/9/2004 by Malinornë]
Eruantalincë
CoE Volunteer
Send Message
on: September 23, 2004 12:06
Very good work .

Dirk, I'm proud of you (hugs Dirk).
dirk_math
Quenya Workbook Mentor
Send Message
on: October 02, 2004 12:02
There's a new lesson in the Quenya Workbook. It is about number words, so if you always wanted to count in Quenya now is your chance!
Yassë engë lómë, anarties calali.
MelannenMedliwen
Council Member
Send Message
on: January 27, 2005 11:08
I have a question...

In lesson one of the Quenya course it says that the "h" is not pronounced if it is in a combiation of hw, hw, hl or hr at the begining of a word. Should one of these hw's be something else or is it just typed twice accidentaly?
Malinornë
Send Message
on: January 29, 2005 07:16
One of the hw's should be hy. Tolkien writes about "hy" that it is "approximately equivalent to... h in huge".
Niere_Mirime
Council Member
Send Message
on: February 02, 2005 12:02
Question......How do you type the acute accents over the long vowels?? I'm completely in the dark here, and would really appreciate it if somebody would help me out!!
Toodles.
Lambengolmo
Council Member
Send Message
on: February 03, 2005 03:39
You should check out one of the other threads that is pinned (or "Topped") to the top of this forum called "Accents and dots - how to write them".
Malinornë
Send Message
on: May 16, 2005 07:26
Guys, I will be absent a couple of days for a work trip to Russia (I'm a translator). I will probably not have internet access during that time, so may be unable to check workbook exercises May 20-23. Patience, please!
Malinornë
Send Message
on: July 20, 2005 09:50
Starting tomorrow, I'll have limited access to the internet for 5-6 days, due to visiting my mother. Please have patience if your workbook exercise isn't checked right away!
Members Online
Print Friendly, PDF & Email