Welcome Guest 

Register

Author Topic:
Malinornë
FAQ Admin, Quenya Moderator & Eldameldë
Send Message
Post RE: Quenya Workbook news & info
on: August 02, 2005 05:04
The workbook has been updated with exercises for dirk_math's Lesson 21 on the partitive plural. Enjoy!
Malinornë
Send Message
on: August 23, 2005 09:14
Grrr... I'm in the middle of changing ISP's and the two companies have messed things up. The old one disconnected me this Monday, and the new one won't connect me until Friday, at the earliest.

This means that I can only check exercises at work, during breaks. I'm sorry if you have to wait a couple of days to have your answers checked.
Vendelle
Council Member
Send Message
on: February 15, 2006 01:36
I have a few questions, but wasn't sure where to post it. I recently sent away my answers to the questions of lesson 1. How long does it normally take to get a reply? Are we allowed to go on to the next lesson without waiting for the reply to the questions of the lesson before?

edited to say that I just saw my mentor's remarks. Sorry to cause a stir. But if possible, I'd still like a reply to my second question.

[Edited on 16/2/2006 by Vendelle]
Malinornë
Send Message
on: February 17, 2006 04:13
Vendelle, I try to check workbook exercise answers every day, or at least every other day. But, because of time zone differences, it may sometimes appear longer.

You are free to continue on to the next lesson and exercises as soon as you like. In the beginning this is easy for most, but when you feel like things are getting complicated, then it's generally better to wait until you're sure that your answers to the previous exercises were ok.
Vendelle
Council Member
Send Message
on: February 17, 2006 10:41
Thank you for your reply. I already thought so, but thought it betterto ask.
Malinornë
Send Message
on: March 12, 2006 03:05
I'm soon to give birth to my first child, and for that reason will be absent from this forum for at least a couple of weeks.

During my absence, workbook exercises will be checked by dirk_math, and the forum will be moderated by Fíriel. (Thanks! )

Please do not send PMs to me until I'm back again, as they will likely not be answered within a reasonable time.
Rebecca_C
CoE Volunteer & Weeper of Nienna
Send Message
on: March 13, 2006 02:57
I hope all goes well! :hug:
Ilandir
Council Member
Send Message
on: March 13, 2006 07:32
Yes good luck and conragtulations! See you soon!
Lossennedlorwen
Council Member
Send Message
on: April 28, 2006 06:08
Hi, I have a question about something in Lesson 2... (yes, I'm new, so I'm sorry if this has been mentioned already)

It says: "Nouns ending in a vowel, except "ë", add "r". This also goes for words ending in the combination "ië"."
But then it says that: "tië + r > tier (paths)."
After that, it says: "Nouns ending in just "ë" replace this final "ë" with "i". Example: lótë > lóti (flowers)"

So I am... kind of confused.

(On a side note, hope the birth went well, Malinornë!)
Rebecca_C
CoE Volunteer & Weeper of Nienna
Send Message
on: May 19, 2006 08:25
I'm not entirely sure I'm qualified to answer, but I'll try...

When pluralising, which is the leson I think you're on, different endings are added to different words depending on the last letter of the word. A word ending in a vowel such as a, i, o, u, ië or any other dipthong (combination of vowels) or vowel with any accent, adds an r and the accent is lost.
The exception to this is that nouns ending with ë (but no other vowel before it) swop the ë for i. If there is another vowel before the ë, such as in ië in tië below, this is treated as a normal ending so you add r. Only if it is a consonant then ë is it treated as an irregular noun.

Hope I've not confused you any more!
Aralkariel
Council Member
Send Message
on: June 07, 2006 02:11
i wanted to ask that same question, thanks for helping me out (without even knowing it)!
Griffin
Collector of all that is Shiny
Send Message
on: December 07, 2006 07:34
Hope this is the right place to ask.

I was looking over your comments on my workbook, Malinornë. (Lesson 4 #2) You said that 'céna' meant 'is seeing' and 'cenin' means 'I see'.
Now I understand from lesson 5 that the verbs given there are in their stem form and can't be used 'as is'. But what do you add to them to to make them usable? In 'cenin' I see '-in' was added. Is it the same for all?
I've poured over what lessons I've done (through lesson 5 and just started 6), but I'm afraid I'm missing something.

Any help with this would be greatly appreciated!
dirk_math
Quenya Workbook Mentor
Send Message
on: December 07, 2006 09:14
To form a Quenya-verb we need two steps:
1: change the dictionary-stem into the stem for the tense
2: add the right ending

So to take your example: cen- 'see': the dictionary-stem is thus cen-.
Step 1:
The stems of the different tenses are then:
- present: céna- (is seeing)
- aorist: ceni- (see)
- past: cenne- (saw)
(there are 2 more tenses but the principle doesn't change)

Step 2: the endings:
There are several endings that will be seen in the following lessons, but as an example we'll use -n which is an ending for the 1st person singular (I).
This gives us:
- present: cénan (I am seeing)
- aorist: cenin (I see)
- past: cennen (I saw)

When we use a subject that isn't a personal pronoun, there also exists an endingless form:
- present: i nér céna (the man is seeing)
- aorist: i nér cenë (the man sees)
- past: i nér cennë (the man saw)
Note: in the aorist the stem ceni- changes into cenë when no ending is present.

And in the plural the ending is -r:
- present: i roccor cénar (the horses are seeing)
- aorist: i roccor cenir (the horses see)
- past: i roccor cenner (the horses saw)
Yassë engë lómë, anarties calali.
Griffin
Collector of all that is Shiny
Send Message
on: December 08, 2006 09:19
I see. *gets flashbacks to her Latin lessons* That makes so much more sense now. Thank you very much!
Malinornë
Send Message
on: July 17, 2007 12:23
Attention all workbook students
This year, workbook mentor dirk_math and I happen to go on internet-less vacations at approximately the same time, which means that, unfortunately, we will not be able to check your exercises between July 18 and July 25. Please have patience, and consider using the extra time available to make sure your answers are as good as you can make them, before hitting 'submit'
Elvenfae1
Council Member
Send Message
on: November 27, 2008 09:26
I don't get what the lesson 1 homework is asking me to do by 'add the missing word' O.o
Malinornë
Send Message
on: November 28, 2008 08:00
I just checked your exercise answers and you've understood perfectly
Elvenfae1
Council Member
Send Message
on: November 28, 2008 07:28
Okay good, I wasn't sure if I was doing it right
_Meldë_
Council Member
Send Message
on: March 06, 2009 11:52
Aiya ilquen!
Some of you have already noticed that there is now a Quenya workbook, accessible from "My Account" and via Languages/Workbook in the main menu.
Please notice that this workbook is still under construction and neither Meldon nor I can see what you may have written there. Until we inform you that the workbook is ready, please continue to use the lesson threads and send all answers to the exercises to us by PM.
Hantalë!

Malinornë

[Edited on 6/8/2003 by Malinornë]

[Edited on 6/8/2003 by Malinornë]

[Edited on 24/8/2003 by Malinornë]

[Edited on 30/12/2003 by Malinornë]
Aiya , I'm have a question , I don't know if I can say it here but I do not really understand how the present tense is in Quenya , I looked in the workbook but cause I'm not english I do not really understand , can anyone try to explain it to me a little easier?Sorry if this doesn't belong here
Malinornë
Send Message
on: March 07, 2009 10:06
If you're following the workbook, you can simply write your questions in the 'comment' field and I or someone else will do our best to help you out.

Of course it's ok to ask here as well. Please try to be as specific as possible... what is it about the present tense that you don't understand? Don't worry about the comparison with English - that part is mostly there to try to explain to people with English as their first language that Quenya does not form the present tense the way that would seem natural to them. (I'm not English either.)
Jianaran
Council Member
Send Message
on: March 25, 2009 01:49
Malinornë, would you mind checking the answers to Q5 I posted a while ago? They've been sitting there for a week or so, and I try to avoid rushing ahead of the marked work
Malinornë
Send Message
on: March 27, 2009 03:47
Jianaran, I'm sorry to hear that.
Your answers weren't showing up on my list of answers to check, so I didn't know you had submitted them.

This typically happens if you forget to click the little box marked 'check if completed', so please make sure that you do that. If you do and your answers still aren't checked within three days (I usually look for new answers every day, or at least every second day), please send me a PM. (This is of course for anyone experiencing the same problem).
Jianaran
Council Member
Send Message
on: March 27, 2009 05:38
Ah, fair enough. I've been posting them but not saying they're finished, waiting for you to comment, then correcting mistakes. Thanks for the help!
KathrynLacey
Council Member
Send Message
on: January 29, 2010 06:36
All right, so I'm new, if that wasn't apparent already.

I noticed that this thread hasn't been updated in almost a full year, and it had me a little worried.

Is there still a mentor that checks the workbook? I'm frankly surprised at how long this has gone one. I think the first post of this thread was from 2003. That's quite a long while for something to continue to flourish.

I just want to know because I want to learn Quenya, but I want to make sure that there's someone who is going to check my workbooks and let me know if I'm doing anything wrong.
openmeadow
Council Member
Send Message
on: February 05, 2010 03:50
KathyrnLacey,
No worries, there are people who check your work and correct it if need be. Just submit the lessons normally (no need to note it in)
KathrynLacey
Council Member
Send Message
on: February 05, 2010 09:21
Yeah. I noticed that after a couple more days of waiting. I'm really glad that people may still actively learn Quenya with real people to help. It's really nice.

[Edited on 9/2/2010 by KathrynLacey]
Malinornë
Send Message
on: February 09, 2010 03:10
Hi KathrynLacey, and welcome to study Quenya with us. It's true that it's been many years since I first set up the workbook, but I'm still around

Since I became a mother four years ago and have a lot less spare time than I used to, I share the responsibility of checking the workbook exercises with dirk_math. Typically, we take turns, doing it for one month each at a time. We do aim to look into the workbook every day or at least a couple of times a week, but occasionally something may come up and you may have to wait longer to have your 'homework' commented.

But fear not, if a time comes when nobody's willing to check exercise answers, we'll say so. Happy studying, and good luck!
KathrynLacey
Council Member
Send Message
on: February 09, 2010 08:47
Thank you for letting me know. I'm really excited about all of this. I tried to encourage my boyfriend to learn Quenya with me, but he wants to learn Sindarin, so I may end up trying to learn Sindarin with him once I get a good grasp on Quenya.

I can understand how one may not always have time. Real life is more important than Internet duties ((unless your regular jobs requires you to be online all day)).

Anyway, thank you so much for creating this idea. It's truly wonderful. I've never seen anywhere else like it. ^^_^^
MithrandirSPQR
Council Member
Send Message
on: March 14, 2011 01:23
Who can look at the exercises that you have done after the lessons? Who is your 'mentor'? Regards.
Malinornë
Send Message
on: March 19, 2011 11:31
The 'workbook' mentors are myself and dirk_math. We take turns checking the exercises. March is 'my' month. Sorry I wasn't able to look at your anwers right away - I've done so now.
pnkrockgrl
Council Member
Send Message
Post Re: Quenya Workbook news & info
on: March 08, 2012 05:34
Since the website changed it's look, I no longer can find the workbooks.
gwendeth
Accounts Admin, Sindarin Mod & Head Stargazer of Varda
Send Message
on: March 08, 2012 05:55
Hi, jumping in here for Mal. The workbooks are still found via the Languages link at the left of your screen.

However, the workbook exercises have to be "linked" to the readings, and that part takes a little time. I'm sure Mal will let everyone know when that has been completed.

gwendeth
Sindarin Moderator
"Tolo si, a tiro i cherth Eru" "Come now, and see the works of God"
Malinornë
Send Message
on: March 10, 2012 12:37
Thanks, Gwen!

The workbook exercises have now been linked to the readings, so when you open a lesson, you'll find the exercises for it at the bottom of that same page.

Sorry about the earlier inconvenience.
Leoflic_Nightleaf
Council Member
Send Message
on: April 24, 2012 08:58
Just wondering, is Quenya pronounced "Qwenya" or "Kenya"? It is Qwenya i hope? The other as everyone knows is a country!
dirk_math
Quenya Workbook Mentor
Send Message
on: April 28, 2012 01:41
Yes, it's Qwenya.
Yassë engë lómë, anarties calali.
Members Online
Print Friendly, PDF & Email