Post Re: Quenya Workbook news & info
on: April 29, 2012 10:04
yay!
Beren_Onehand
Council Member
Send Message
on: May 21, 2012 08:37
Does anyone else have trouble with adjectives? They are the hardest for me yet. And it usually is not that hard for me.

Anyone know of any techniques that would help me remember? Right now all I do is write down the vocab list at the end of the lessons to help me remember and to have a quick reference if I need it.
"All we have to decide, is what to do with the time that is given to us"
Ligandil
Council Member
Send Message
on: July 26, 2012 04:30
Hello!

I took the pdf available of the Quenya Workbook (it only goes upto lesson 20 and without the exercices) and expanded it to lesson 26 and included the exercices. I did this so I can print it, but I share it here if someone wants to print it as well! There were some minor differences between the pdf and the text on the site, and I stook site`s text. It`s a .doc document, if someone wants to edit the design or so, or correct any mistakes.

I hope someone finds it useful, but first I need to find out how to include an attachment on this forum, anyone can help me?
My blog http://tolkien-inspiration.blogspot.com/
Beren_Onehand
Council Member
Send Message
on: July 26, 2012 05:24
This sounds really awesome. I'm glad that you did that! I want to offer my thanks. However, unfortunately I don't know how to attach something into a forum. You might contact the forum moderators or perhaps if they don't know then you could talk to Rivka. There are obviously more possibilities but I can't think of any off the top of my head besides a link to a download. Anyway that is my lengthy Thank-You.
"All we have to decide, is what to do with the time that is given to us"
Malinornë
FAQ Admin, Quenya Moderator & Eldameldë
Send Message
on: August 24, 2012 09:10
Ligandil's document will be available for download as soon as I can figure out how I will need a little time to look it over first. Thank you!
dirk_math
Quenya Workbook Mentor
Send Message
on: August 25, 2012 01:32
It might be better to wait for the release of the reworked Quenya course on Ardalambion. Helge Fauskanger is at this moment trying to rewrite his whole course as a lot of new knowledge about Quenya has surfaced in the last few years. Quite a lot of things are obsoleted by these new facts.

Quite a lot of them can be found in the latest wordlist on Ardalambion; to mention a few of them:
- the past tense of is only when no ending is present. The other forms of the past tense are fomed with ane- (anen, anel, anes, anente, ...)
- the infinitive and gerund of are both náve, the perfect is anaië
- we know quite a bit more about the number words larger than 10
- the personal pronouns are now much clearer (e.g. ve is "we" inclusive)
- there exists an ending -ngwe for verbs to denote the dual inclusive "you and me"

Yassë engë lómë, anarties calali.
Malinornë
Send Message
on: September 07, 2012 11:04
That's good news, Dirk, and I will wait. And then rewrite the workbook to reflect the changes
applegirl
Council Member
Send Message
on: January 08, 2013 10:17
I am stuck on the second part of Lesson Three. I am soo confused with the t and u dual markers. My understanding is that the dual markers make a word dual as in dual = two of whatever object or thing it is. The issue I have is understanding when to use it. The the second part of Lesson Three #1 asks me to make the words plural. I'm confused in the sense of whether I am following the rule I learned in Lesson Two about making words plural, or am I following the rules in Lesson Three. @_@

As for lesson three's vocabulary list, I am utterly lost of what the word outside the parenthesis means. What is it trying to tell me ? When it asks me to make a word dual, do I use the word inside or outside the parenthesis on the vocabulary list ?
dirk_math
Quenya Workbook Mentor
Send Message
on: January 10, 2013 12:30
The dual isn't always used when two things are involved, only when English uses "a pair" or "both": a pair of trees = aldu, both ships = i ciryat (note: "both" is with the article).
The u-dual is only used when the word contains a d or a t sound (like alda, aldu) or when it is a body part (like pé, peu "lip, a pair of lips"). In all other cases we use the t-dual.

Plural always refers to the ordinary plural of lesson 2. When a dual is needed it is explicitely mentioned.

The letters between the parentheses are the stem-form for the nouns that have one, e.d. meren "feast". To make its plural use the stem-form: merendi, and its dual: merendu.
calenmarwen
Realm Leader of Lórien
Send Message
on: January 28, 2013 08:27
Hi, I presume this gets asked alot, but is there still the possibility of a mod checking the Quenya exercises, and should I just submit answers for these through the elvish language workbook? Thanks.
"There is more in you of good than you know ..."
dirk_math
Quenya Workbook Mentor
Send Message
on: January 31, 2013 02:20
The exercises are regularly checked by the two workbook mentors.
And yes, submitting through the workbook is the correct way.
calenmarwen
Realm Leader of Lórien
Send Message
on: January 31, 2013 02:14
Thank-you!
"There is more in you of good than you know ..."
kubiksrub
Council Member
Send Message
Hello guys!

I am new to this site and don't really know what's going on! I just stumbled upon this site. So I hope you are willing to help me.
I want to start learning Quenya, both speaking and writing.
I have seen the workbook and I am wondering if it is possible to print it out?
Malinornë
Send Message
Aiya kubiksrub!
Of course it's possible to print out the workbook. If you don't want to do it lesson by lesson, there is a pdf document for download from the "Studying Elvish Tools" page in the language section. The individual lessons are more updated, though.

http://www.councilofelrond.com/content/elvish-resources/

[Edited on 05/11/2013 by Malinornë]
arwen-undomiel-119129
Council Member
Send Message
hi,
does anyone know where you can print off a complete quenya dictionary? english-quenya and quenya-english
Naruvir
Council Member
Send Message
You'll find the best over here: http://folk.uib.no/hnohf/wordlists.htm

[Edited on 05/13/2013 by Naruvir]
ElfDict.com - an extensive dictionary dedicated to the languages of Middle Earth!
arwen-undomiel-119129
Council Member
Send Message
thank you!
brinab
Council Member
Send Message
Post Question
on: June 12, 2013 08:25
So, here's a random question (p.s. you'll need to have hit lesson 8 in the workbook, at least, to help me out): I was looking through the earlier lessons and in some of the assignments they use the phrase "ceninye" to mean "I see." What I was curious about was why they used the long ending vs the short one, since there's no other ending following it (which is when the wb says the long version is necessary). Can you really use either in this case?

If anyone can help out, I'd be grateful. I'm trying to cram as much knowledge about this language into my head as possible before the semester starts up again, when I'll probably be too busy.
-wenyatuima
dirk_math
Quenya Workbook Mentor
Send Message
There are examples of both endings in Tolkien's writings. When two endings are present indeed the long ending is mandatory. With only one ending you have the choice: ceninyë or cenin.
Of course it could be that there is a slight difference in meaning but the examples only indicate that the stress and the meter in poetry are the main reasons to use one of both forms (cenin has the stress on the e, ceninyë on the i).
If you'd like to know the details have a look at lesson 8 of the Ardalambion course.
Lord of the Rings
Council Member
Send Message
I wish I was as easily devoted as you guys I need to try to keep up with this
Theadwen
Council Member
Send Message
I've just joined here and I am really excited about learning Quenya. I'm sorry if this sounds stupid, but where can I access the exercises, please? The link given in Lesson 1 tells me that it can't find what I am looking for.
Theadwen
Council Member
Send Message
Oh wait, nevermind. I found it. Sorry for bothering you! :/
waitforit
Council Member
Send Message
Post PRINTING
on: January 06, 2014 04:30
Does anyone know how to print the workbook? Is there like a PDF of something? OR do I have to like copy and paste on a document and THEN print?

Thanks!
LadyElarinya
Council Member
Send Message
Post PRINTING
on: January 07, 2014 09:50
waitforit said:Does anyone know how to print the workbook? Is there like a PDF of something? OR do I have to like copy and paste on a document and THEN print?

Thanks!

There are a lot of cool stuff on the "Studying Elvish Tools" section of the site [On the menu on the left, under Languages of Middle-Earth], including a pdf version of the workbook.

Here: http://www.councilofelrond.com/languages/downloads/quenya/CoEQuenyaWorbookLessons1-20.pdf

But I'm not sure its updated.

"O môr henion i dhû: Ely siriar, êl síla. Ai! Aníron Undómiel. Tiro! Êl eria e môr. I 'lîr en êl luitha 'úren. Ai! Aníron…"
Thralinde
Council Member
Send Message
Hey, I'm new and I had a question about the aorist lesson and exercises. It's not clear how to make an aorist a-stem verb plural; does it follow the pattern of just adding -r (mitta -> mittar) or does it follow the pattern of changing to -i and then adding -r (mitta -> mittir)? Thanks!
~Thrálindë~ "So much death. What can men do against such reckless hate?"
LadyElarinya
Council Member
Send Message
Thralinde said:Hey, I'm new and I had a question about the aorist lesson and exercises. It's not clear how to make an aorist a-stem verb plural; does it follow the pattern of just adding -r (mitta -> mittar) or does it follow the pattern of changing to -i and then adding -r (mitta -> mittir)? Thanks!

The -i ending only aplies to the basic verbs. It changes to "ë" if no other ending is added, but with plurals another ending is added that's why, for example, "matë" (eat, eats) becomes "matir".

But since the a-stem verbs don't use the "i" ending, to form the plural you just have to add the -r ending. So the plural of mitta would be mittar.
"O môr henion i dhû: Ely siriar, êl síla. Ai! Aníron Undómiel. Tiro! Êl eria e môr. I 'lîr en êl luitha 'úren. Ai! Aníron…"
Kilis Girl
Council Member
Send Message
hey
Does anyone know how to find a good workbook for Quenya? I have a college workbook, but it's really confusing. Can anyone help?
Tricia Donahue
Silmelirie
Council Member
Send Message
Greetings! (ᵔᴥᵔ)

I was wondering if the workbook or that other course was already updated since it was mentioned it would be in 2012. Do you guys have any news about that?

Oh, and is there a full pdf version of the workbook?

[Edited on 01/24/2014 by Silmelirie]
~*You are not wrong, who deem That my days have been a dream; Yet if hope has flown away In a night, or in a day, In a vision, or in none, Is it therefore the less gone? All that we see or seem Is but a dream within a dream.*~
ImageImageImage
Forest Wizard
Council Member
Send Message
Post The "Gold Standard?"
on: April 18, 2014 12:21
Hello everyone!

Quenya is something I use in magick and ritual and have for several years. It is my "sacred language" and serves me as a lovely alternative to Latin spells and incantations!

My question is simply this: there is much talk on this forum about students taking "lessons." Are we talking about lessons from the Quenya course written by Helge Fauskanger years ago? Is his book considered the 'gold standard' in Quenya courses? I began learning what little I know of Quenya from his work. It is an excellent scholarly work! But are there other works / books courses that are comparable or even preferred?

Pardon my ignorance!
Bright Blessings to you! "There are two types of sight: one from the light that comes to us, the other from the light that comes FROM us." ~ me
dirk_math
Quenya Workbook Mentor
Send Message
- No, we're talking about the lessons on this site.
- His course is still the golden standard. But since then quite a lot of additional info has been revealed, so to have a current version one should also use the Ardalambion Quenya-English dictionary.
- There are no books that are sufficiently actual. When you're prepared to invest a lot of time and work the series Parma Erdalambion will give you the most up to date info. It consists of reworked notes by Tolkien himself.
- There aren't that many good courses on the web, but these are certainly worth looking at:

Forest Wizard
Council Member
Send Message
dirk_math said:- No, we're talking about the lessons on this site.
- His course is still the golden standard. But since then quite a lot of additional info has been revealed, so to have a current version one should also use the Ardalambion Quenya-English dictionary.
- There are no books that are sufficiently actual. When you're prepared to invest a lot of time and work the series Parma Erdalambion will give you the most up to date info. It consists of reworked notes by Tolkien himself.
- There aren't that many good courses on the web, but these are certainly worth looking at:

Your reply is so very helpful! Thank you. Yes, I am a serious student and my dream is that Quenya eventually become a SPOKEN language for ordinary communication. I know we are not there yet but I am very much encouraged by all of you brilliant people working on it!! I have heard it said that Sindarin is better suited to everyday speech but I am of the opinion that BOTH languages require more 'filling out' and development to really be practical for talking to people. I am partial to Quenya. In any case, thank you again for your very helpful reply.
Bright Blessings to you! "There are two types of sight: one from the light that comes to us, the other from the light that comes FROM us." ~ me
Constantina
Council Member
Send Message
Hello everyone!!! I'm new here and I don't really know where I can find the workbook so that I can print it. Can anyone send me the link or something please? I'd be really grateful!!
dirk_math
Quenya Workbook Mentor
Send Message
http://www.councilofelrond.com/readingcats/quenya-workbook/
owlhunter21
Council Member
Send Message
When I try to do the excel isles it tells me that it can't find it and to look it up. I've tried everything that people have said to do but it's not working. Please HELP!!!
owlhunter21
Council Member
Send Message
Exercises

Woops sorry
Members Online
Print Friendly, PDF & Email