Welcome Guest 

Register

Author Topic:
Figwit
Book Club Moderator & Misty Mountain Monster
Send Message
Post Sequence to sequence #13: The Ring Goes South
on: July 27, 2003 03:33
Yeeeey, we're back again with another thrilling episode of Sequence 2 Sequence. {crowd cheers} I'm your hostess Figwit Of Angmar and Gondor and tonight we're going to talk about that little trips the Ring makes between Rivendell and Moria.

Caps for these scenes can be viewed here and for the EE here

So what do you guys think? Was Bilbo's freaking out moment too much over the top? Is Elrond an old bore? Were Boromir and the Hobbits ridiculed in that cuddly scene? How crappy is that flash of lightning on Caradhras and what the hell is a whisk of clouds moving fast downwind anyway?

And the poll question of the week: which part did you prefer?

[Edited on 27/7/2003 by Figwit]
Eothain
Council Member
Send Message
Post RE: Sequence to sequence #13: The Ring Goes South
on: July 27, 2003 03:56
Hollin, with the mockfight and Boromir.
Nevthónîel
CoE Volunteer
Send Message
on: July 27, 2003 04:59
Definitely Boromir and the Ring.
Well, I'm always getting scared about Bilbo. I know it's gonna happen but it freaks me out every time
eowynshue
CoE Volunteer
Send Message
on: July 27, 2003 06:13
after much thought ive decided *drumroll* boromir and the ring! woo! i love the tension in that scene. and also the socks frodos wearing make me laugh. lol
Diva
Viggo Vixen, Supplanter of Arwen & Anti-Hugging Harpy
Send Message
on: July 27, 2003 07:30
Gilraen's grave may indeed be my favorite scene in the entire film!

Watching Aragorn clean off the grave was very touching, it was beautiful. I remeber being a little annoyed though because I was like, "O.K., we are in an Elven city, and no one can even take care of Gilraen's grave?" lol.

Then when you hear Elrond's vooive come in it ceates a nice mood and tone. The way Elrond says "You ar ethe last of the bloodline, there is no other!" is pure genius, a perfectly delivered line. And Aragorn's response "I do not want that power, I never wanted it." gives a lot of information in a short amount of time, and adds somewhat to what we learned of Aragorn at the council.

The digital grading in this scene is also choice, I lvoe the blues of the sequence mixed wih a misty overtone, quite lovely.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
I'll realy appreciated the mock fight, I only wish there could have been more scenes along those lines. It provides a good time for character observations, when they are somewhat "at ease."

Of course, Boromir and the ring is a great scene as well!
k
Cavegirl
Send Message
on: July 27, 2003 08:04
figgy... i take it your not a huge fan of this part of the film.

some of my fave bits of the whole film are where they are just walking, and hte music is all epic and it pans back and you just see space and distance. i have a hard time envisioning really large distances... in the book i had real troubles with the time they took to walk the distances, cus i just couldnt imagine how far 360 miles (120 leagues- im sure they mentioned that at some point) actually was. so i loved the way the film was able to givet he impression of great distances travelled.
i also liked the bit where they were all walking in line in the snow- that was the first poster i bought and i adore it.
so some bits of this scene actually enhanced the book for me.

and i thought hte bit where the hobbits were fighting boromir and they were all hanging out on hollin was good. i enjoyed it, it was fun and sweet, and just nice to seet he fellowship doing something "normal" instead of running round fighting things or escaping things or shouting or trying to get the ring off of one another.
oh and in cerebrain it does look like a bit of cloud in the EE at the very beginning when it was spotted, shame that by the time the others see it its blatently not one.

bilbos freaking out. (to go back a little earlier) annoyed me to start wtih, but... its as close to it could be in the book without being too subtle for non fans to notice, and the way he acts after that little freak out... well im a big fan of how ian holm played bilbo so...

leaving rivendell (i only saw this today... ) i think frodos line. "gandalf is the way to mordor left or right" is kinda cute.. not very tolkien but cute still.

now there is one thing im annoyed that they missed that brung the whole scene down for me......

farewell gandalf i go to find the sun

:cry:
Remmirath
Sleepless Astronomer
Send Message
on: July 27, 2003 03:46
I'd have to go with Hollin, because of the interaction between Boromir, Merry and Pippin. This scene provides a connection between Boromir and the hobbits that helps put the end of the movie in perspective when Boromir comes to their aid.

A close second was Boromir's interaction with the ring.
Figwit
Send Message
on: July 27, 2003 09:20
figgy... i take it your not a huge fan of this part of the film. ~k

oh but I do like it! I just thought I'd get some debate, because it's mostly: I like this part best. hehe

anyway, personally, I like the confrontation between Boromir and the Ring best

to answer my own questions:

Was Bilbo's freaking out moment too much over the top?

Yes and no. I wasn't comfortable with it, at all, though it was a scary moment (and the movie needed some excitement at that time), but it didn't seem to fit the mood of the book. For some reason, when Tolkien described Bilbo going freaky, I never pictured him to actually *change* face, I thought it would be more like when he goes weird on Gandalf in the beginning of the movie.
However, it does provide a link with Gollum, and maybe that's good for a nonbookie audience, who have to figure out all the links and relations on their own... But it didn't work for me.

Is Elrond an old bore?

I did like the extended scenes in Rivendell. The scene with Aragorn and Elrond is - like nyq86_aragorn_diva said - visually and just looking at performance and lines, really beautiful. Very well done. But I'm not really sure what PJ tried to achieve with that scene: give some background on Aragorn I'm sure, but what about Elrond? It seems weird to have him there...

As for the actual departure, that's just great. And the way Gandalf helps Frodo, so sweet. I know it's mushy stuff and I usually don't go for mushy, but this bit actually works.

Were Boromir and the Hobbits ridiculed in that cuddly scene?

Yes and no. It's a very sweet scene, and I love it. I really do, it's actually a tie between this one and the confrontation as to which scene I love best, but I did have the feeling it was a bit too much. It doesn't look like Book Boromir, and it doesn't feel like Book Boromir. So I'm a bit torn here, I love this scene but I know it's all wrong.

How crappy is that flash of lightning on Caradhras?

Very crappy. And what was even more crappy is that

a) they made Gandalf go all indecisive all of a sudden, putting the heavy burden of deciding between Death-Through-Frost and Death-Through-Darkness on the shoulders of an ignorant and already troubled Hobbit. Boromir's concern with the Hobbits and a great Sharkey-move didn't make up for that change.

b) even though they showed Legolas walking on snow (great detail) there was no I go to find the sun-line..... k, I feel you girl... that was all wrong

What the hell is a whisk of clouds moving fast downwind anyway?

That part didn't work too well either. And I also absolutely hated the fact that Gimli adviced Gandalf to go through Moria because his 'cousin Balin would give us a royal welcome'. Gimli knew very well that there hadn't been any news for 20 years from that side of the globe... in fact, it's one of the reason the Dwarves travelled to Rivendell in the first place.
Roheryn
Council Member
Send Message
on: July 28, 2003 06:07
Hi Figwit.

'what the hell is a whisk of clouds moving fast downwind anyway?'

Actually its a 'wisp' of clouds. Moving fast. Against the wind.

a wisp being a small bit of something, in this case clouds - and as clouds move with the wind anything moving against the wind, especially fast, is definitely a sign of something other than cloud. Which is this case it was. Gimli mistook a flock of birds for clouds. The 'clouds' were birds sent by Saruman as spies.

Of course in the books the scene is a bit different, with everyone sleeping except Sam and Aragorn. Sam sees the birds and is smart enough to recognize that what he sees doesn't look like a cloud and Aragorn recognizes what it is and what the danger is. But PJ does manage to get the 'incident' into the film at least.

'Is Elrond an old bore?'

Never a bore. Somewhat serious most of the time though. It was Elrond who raised Aragorn after his mother brought him to Rivendell, at the age of two I think, following his father's death. It seemed perfectly natural that he would be in this scene with Aragorn. I loved their exchange.

And yes I agree Bilbo's freaking out moment was okay for the film but a bit much.
Legolas{Greenleaf}
Council Member
Send Message
on: July 28, 2003 06:15
the actual deparure of the Fellowship

This was my favorite part of The Ring Goes South bit in the movie. The viewers get a sense of movement and speed that helped show that they were on the road for longer than a few hours. The music was dramatic and the panoramic scenes were stunning. Also, I noticed how the fellowship was placed in the scenes. Most of the time you could see Gandalf walking at the head of the company, either being accompanied with a hobbit or Aragorn. Sam and Bill were never far apart, and at times Legolas walked beside the pony, with Gimli on the other side. I think it showed the company getting closer as a fellowship. It was hard to spot but it's worth looking at next time you watch it.

Peace~
Figwit
Send Message
on: July 28, 2003 08:53
thanks Roheryn I figured out that much, but thanks for correcting me and elaborating
fbc
Council Member
Send Message
on: July 01, 2005 07:03
THe actual departure of the fellowship is stunning. THe music and visuals were perfect!
Sassyfriend
Council Member
Send Message
Post Re: Sequence to sequence #13: The Ring Goes South
on: September 21, 2012 08:34
Everything with Boromir and the hobbits and also Boromir and the ring
Members Online
Print Friendly, PDF & Email