Register

Author Topic:
Figwit
Book Club Moderator & Misty Mountain Monster
Send Message
Post Sequence by sequence #15: Lothlórien
on: August 18, 2003 03:05
Aaaah, we're almost at the end... sniff sniff... But, first things first:

Caps can be found here for the theatrical version and for the EE there are caps of the journey with Haldir, Caras Galadhon and the Gift giving sequence.

And the weekly question is: which part did you like best. Ha! How inventive!
meeting Haldir
16% (1)
the journey with Haldir through the woods (EE)
3% (2)
meeting Galadriel and Celeborn
3% (2)
night over Lothlórien (Sam's poetry, Gandalf's lament, Boromir & Aragorn's talk)
28% (1)
Galadriel's Glade
6% (4)
the Gift giving sequence
25% (1)
Lothlórien itself
19% (1)
nothing - I'm in it for the action
0% (0)
AEvenstar
Council Member
Send Message
Post RE: Sequence by sequence #15: Lothlórien
on: August 18, 2003 03:12
I voted for Night over Lothlorien because I think it looks really beautiful. i certainly wasn't going to vote for Galadriel's Glade (turning green is just too freaky!)
Sorry for any typos - have you ever tried typing whilst holdng a 10-week-old puppy in your arms. Shes into everything.
Gwenhwyfar
Council Member
Send Message
on: August 18, 2003 04:14
Although I loved the meeting with Galadriel (eh, Celeborn too... I guess), and I loved the night sequece, my favorite by far was the gift giving! It really seems so essential to me, I don't know how PJ could have left it out of the theatrical release. The scene between Galadriel and Aragorn was particularly touching. Plus, Celeborn even comes across as. . . well, normal . . . in that sequence.
gaelowyn
Council Member
Send Message
on: August 18, 2003 04:29
"i love the night life, I like to boogy.." Ok, back to the real topic at hand. I loved the night over lothlorien scene. Sam was beginning to show his depth of character here, at least to me. His poem, or in his mind an attempt at poetry, began to show him as something more than just a companion and devout follower of Frodo. He is his own hobbit. the scenery, the massiveness of the mallorn trees, the lights. all so eery yet beautiful. With aragorn's and Boromir's talk, you get to see some of the anguish that boromir feels, some of the pressure that he is under in trying to ensure the safety of his people. you can see the toll it is all taking on him.
I also really like the gift giving scene. I was surprised it wasn't in the theatrical release too! even though i hadn't read the book yet, my dad had(a zillion times at least) and he had informed me of some of the "neater" moments of the book that he had hoped to see, and the gift giving scene was one of them. of course our two comic relief hobbits have some great lines there...when Legolas talks on about the Lembas, and how one bite can sustain an elf for days... and then merry turns to pippin and says something like "so how many did you have" and pippin answers with whatever amount he had...and then it looks as if he burps...silly humor but I found it quite funny!!
and now we are getting close to the end... can't wait to start going scene by scene with TTT!

[Edited on 18/8/2003 by gaelowyn]
gwendeth
Accounts Admin, Sindarin Mod & Head Stargazer of Varda
Send Message
on: August 18, 2003 04:51
I picked the Gift-giving seqence (as the "Lament for Gandalf" scene wasn't listed ).

I really love the expressions on their faces as they receive their gifts, especially:

- Legolas' awe and appreciation of the bow
- Sam wanting one of those 'shiny new daggers'
- Gimli's receiving three strands of hair and Legolas face there, too
"Tolo si, a tiro i cherth Eru" "Come now, and see the works of God"
Roheryn
Council Member
Send Message
on: August 18, 2003 03:35
I voted for the gift giving scene for two reasons. One, it is a beautiful scene between Galadriel and the different members of the fellowship (except poor Boromir), and two, on the EE it puts more of the book into the movie. The gifts are all pretty meaningful later in the story so it was nice to see the scene there.

I also really like the first meeting with Celeborn and Galadriel and the Lament for Gandalf song in the background of the night scene.
iLikeLOTRaLittle2much
Council Member
Send Message
on: August 18, 2003 05:13
I voted for Lothlorien in general because it is just the best place EVER... in the movies, the books, just ANYWHERE. The entire enchantment of it as a whole and its beauty and wonder just never cease to amaze and baffle me. It's deffinately the best.
Celebroch
Council Member
Send Message
on: August 18, 2003 07:22
The Gift Giving.. i think that includes the Lembas commercial

~--^
Annúnagar
CoE Volunteer
Send Message
on: August 19, 2003 03:13
I chose night over Lothlórien, because it's the part where they find rest after all theirs adventures, specially in Moria.
And I like it too, because I love the scene with Boromir and Aragorn talking about Minas Tirith, Denethor, the glory of Gondor, now you know what Boromir exactly feels and you notice he's not so obstinate like he seems at the Council of Elrond, and the only thing he wants it's his father and his people's happines...so sad...:cry:
Legolas{Greenleaf}
Council Member
Send Message
on: August 19, 2003 08:00
Of course, I chose the Gift-giving sequence. It struck me just right and it has always been my favorite part in the Extended Edition.

Peace~
Nevthónîel
CoE Volunteer
Send Message
on: August 19, 2003 09:19
This is a toughie. I chose between Night in Lothlorien and the Gift-giving sequence, though my final descision is Night in Lothlorien. It's beautiful, silent and it's some kind of magic in the air.
iLikeLOTRaLittle2much
Council Member
Send Message
on: August 19, 2003 03:09
Yes, but you see... I picked Lothlorien in itslef, cuz that way I get all of the wonderful stuff that happened all through the Lorien scenes, and it sheer, elaborate beauty. Woot Woot, I got all of it! :love: LoL
Figwit
Book Club Moderator & Misty Mountain Monster
Send Message
on: August 23, 2003 11:15
I looooooooooooooooooooved Lórien in the theatrical version, it's one of my favourite bits. Why?

First of all, the Lórien set was incredible. It looked like Caras Galadhon, it felt like it... Even without the golden mallorns, it was just the perfect set. The atmosphere was ancient, and really as if time stood still there.

Cate Blanchett was amazing as Galadriel. She was both very Queen-like, tall, beautiful, powerfull, gracefull - and also sad, weary, anxious to pass her test... I heard and read a lot of complaints about Galads being too cold and not friendly enough, but I never thought of her as completely kind.
That's why I liked her portrayal in the theatrical cut so much: it's easy to depict an Elvish Queen as being all wise and empathic, but I'm glad the director didn't fall into that trap and followed Tolkien's books very closely here.
She even had the starlight in her eyes.
Granted, it was great to see her smile at Sam and laugh at Gimli's amourous blush in the EE... but not a necessity to me.

I also loved that little talk between Aragorn and Boromir: it was very important to give Boromir a bit more background. Of course, there was no need to get him to cry like a baby, but somehow that too fitted the mood. I especially liked the way his face was lit out when he spoke of Minas Tirith and the White Tower... he seemed proud more than homesick. That fits him perfectly.
I aslo loved Aragorn's silence when Boromir says: One day our paths will lead us there... because he knows at that point that, if he goes into Mordor, he will never return. It's also a sweet reminder of the book, where Aragorn is originally travelling with Boromir to Gondor, but it becomes clear around Lórien that he intents to travel with Frodo.

What else? The extended cut of night over Lothlórien was also something I really liked. Sam's attempt at poetry made me pretty mad, because in the books Sam is quite a poet really but in the movie he screws up, but I did adore the fact that he insists on adding a verse about his fireworks (reminding us of how these Hobbits view events and people) and also - I know it was horrible but: Aragorn hitting Gimli over the head when he was snoring.

Also extended: that little talk between Boromir and Frodo: Don't carry the weight of the dead. I loved that part, because it shows Boromir (finally) for what he really is: a soldier. And soldiers, even the very learned ones, know that you cannot care too much for a fallen comrade, and you certainly may not feel guilt about it - because that stops you from going on.

What I didn't like? Haldir. Yack. Horrible - and the more they extended him, the worse he got. Let's not waste any more words on it.

Khuzdul I complained about this before, on several occasions, but I really was rather annoyed with Gimli in this sequence. Granted, the part about the Eyes and Ears was pretty funny, and the gift giving scene was very very sweet, BUT: a Dwarf would never ever speak his language in front of others. Khuzdul is a secret language, hidden from all other people. Tolkien is very explicit about this, he says it on multiple occasions and it's the explanation for the very small set of Dwarvish words that can be found throughout the Sil and LOTR: the Elves don't know Khuzdul. Not even those of Eregion, though there were one or two loremasters in those days who did.
Henceforth, Aragorn could NEVER have been able to figure out what Gimli said to Haldir.
I know this is nitpicking to most people, but the culture of the Dwarves has really been poorly portrayed, overall, in both FOTR and TTT. I hope ROTK restores some of it (with maybe hopefully some Glittering caves) but I fear that this aspect of Tolkien's work has been sadly overlooked.

I'm still not sure about Galad's going bonkers. On the whole, I loved the mirror-scene: the mood and pace were right, the dialogue was great and the performances are stunning. But the sfx... I don't know...

Celeborn Actually, this sequence is the only one where two acting performances belong to the minor points. But Celeborn was really disappointing. And the EE didn't make it any better. Sadly.

So, on the whole: WOW, but with some critizism... as ever.
Londe
Council Member
Send Message
on: September 12, 2003 09:24
Lothlorien...I voted for Lothlorien itself. The set was gorgeous, it was such a still, yet somehow unsettling place to be. It seemed almost to reflect Galadriel's character, mysterious, tall, gorgeous, unsettling, and elegant. It was truly wonderful.
Minyaana
Council Member
Send Message
on: November 20, 2003 08:45
Definitely Lothlorien itself, it's a beautifull pleace, full of grace and beauty... Just want it to be real, and not only in my dreams
Aervir
Council Member
Send Message
on: June 11, 2004 10:46
Now I'm dragging up yet another dated movie thread... but I am so eager to get rid of my thoughts concerning this movie sequence. I must say that I was quite dissappointed of Lothlórien when I saw FOTR for the very first time (well, I hated the whole movie back then... *ducks virtual tomatoes*), and I am still a little bit disappointed. Lothlórien is one of my most favourite ME places ever, and if I actually believed in heaven, it would have to be like Lórien. So sunny, bright, enchanted and ever-young, evergreen, and yet a tad wistful and sad at the very same time. (Sorry for all these ramblings. Geez, I'm waxing sentimental. ) And then there is this dark and mysterious place in the movie. Okay, the atmosphere works very well, the production design is great, but it looks so different from Tolkien's description of Lórien!
But, of course, there is Cate Blanchett... my favourite elf of them all (I think I already said this today, but it should be woth repeating). However, being turned into a freaky green... something is a bit below her dignity. They could have made her act the change in Galadriel's behaviour (she was a very charming and gifted lead in Elizabeth and Oscar and Lucinda), instead of spoiling the mood of the Mirror Scene.
Now that sounds as if I didn't like PJ's Lórien at all... but I do. I loved the talks between the Fellowship members, their grieving for Gandalf, and the dialogue between Aragorn and Boromir can bring tears to my eyes: "I would see the glory of Gondor restored. Have you ever seen it, Aragorn? The white tower of Ecthelion. Glimmering like a spike of pearl and silver. Its banners caught high in the morning breeze. Have you ever been called home by the clear ringing of silver trumpets? One day, our paths will lead us there. And the tower guard shall take up the call: 'The Lords of Gondor have returned.'" It gives us a glimpse, a foreshadowing of Minas Tirith, which is, however, so dreadful to think of if you know that Boromir will never return. :sob:
And the gift-giving, too, conveys this feeling of having to say farewell to someone or something. It's very touching to hear Galadriel bid her last farewell to Elessar; even though it's not in the book, it helps to create the same mood as in Tolkien's "Farewell to Lórien": The last thing we are told about it before the words of Galadriel's Lament is the fact that even the elvish music couldn't comfort Frodo anymore... I feel a bit of the same whenever I see the last view of Cate Blanchett standing at the river banks, surrounded by a halo of light, before we get a panaroma shot of the boats floating out into the Great River...
And what did I like best about that scene? Hmm, I was unable to decide between "Night over Lórien" and "The Gift-Giving".

[Edited on 11/6/2004 by Aervir]
fbc
Council Member
Send Message
on: May 13, 2005 11:43
Loved this part.
MerryandPip
Council Member
Send Message
on: May 14, 2005 02:23
This scene has never been one of my favorite parts of the movie, but I chose the part with Gandalf's Lament, Sam's verse, etc. I've always loved Sam's poetry about Gandalf...And the part with Gandalf's Lament seems so sad...So mysterious...
AgordanPrincess
Council Member
Send Message
on: May 16, 2005 11:49
I just really liked it all. Lorien was one of my favorite scenes. It was a nice calm before the storm type thing. That's why I could'nt just pick one part.
delerithoflorien
Council Member
Send Message
on: May 17, 2005 01:39
It has to be Lothlorien itself for me. This is my favourite part of Middle-earth - so serene, beautiful, mysterious, celestial and timeless. OK it could have done with a bit more light at times but generally I thought they caught the essence of Lothlorien fairly well. I felt Galadriel was depicted beautifully showing many aspects of her character, and I loved the scenes when she smiled and laughed showing her sense of humour.

The beauty of The Golden Wood is awesome especially the Caras Galadhon scene. Seeing this one scene to me brought Lothlorien to life.
Even the smallest person can change the course of history.
Council Member
Send Message
on: November 12, 2005 10:27
I voted for Lothlórien itself. It just looked so beautiful & natural, certainly my favourite place in Middle Earth.
Sassyfriend
Council Member
Send Message
Post Re: Sequence by sequence #15: Lothlórien
on: September 21, 2012 08:26
I voted for the night scene because this is where Boromir really opens up to Aragorn and i love the fact that he isn't hiding the fact he's in pain.
Members Online
Print Friendly, PDF & Email