Welcome Guest 

Register

Author Topic:
Morglin
Council Member
Send Message
Post Re: Parents and LotR
on: June 09, 2012 09:42
My dad introduced me to it when I must have been about 7. We watched it as a family then. Last Christmas I thought, 'We haven't seen this in ages, shall we watch it?'. Next thing I knew I was into full out obsessive mode ^^
I think it annoys my dad because I then read The Hobbit, LotR, The Silmarillion and Unfinished Tales (I've still got so much to read though) and I won't shut up about it. Almost every conversation I somehow manage to get back to LotR and because it's so fresh for me I can't help but correct him when he remembers things wrong.
Mum's read them, and doesn't mind so much but I can't get over the constant eyerolling whenever I mention LotR.
So now my friends have to put up with me fangirling over something that is, to those who arent devoted obsessees like me, 10 years old when they'd rather talk about Sherlock or the Hunger Games.
Thank Eru for CoE!
Nrogara
Council Member
Send Message
on: July 03, 2012 04:18
My parents read the books before I did. My Dad loves them but my Mom skipped all the songs. That says a lot right there. we're always getting after her about that... They've watched the movies too; all of them, which is more than I can say. I've watched the first, and part of the second in the hospital, but Gimli just really bothers me.

If I want to go nuts over LOTR though I talk to my Granny. She would fit right in here. When I was reading the books I would e-mail her every oh... 5 chapters or so and tell her what was going on. and because I was using my Mom's e-mail at that point (and her computer) she would read them once I was done just because she found them entertaining. I wish they were saved or something. First impressions are priceless. Now my sister is reading them; she just finished Fellowship and is nuts over it just like me. We'll recite Ol' Tom Bombadle and One Ring, and she can get part way through All That is Gold, but not all the way, so I still have one feat to claim for myself. I'm working on memorizing the Dwarfs song in The Hobbit now.
Image Image
ArwenElfMaiden
Council Member
Send Message
on: July 19, 2012 05:09
ohmy. my uncle introduced me to the Hobbit and LOTR, me and my sister both. after seeing the movies (EE's) i went into fangirl mode and got stuck in it my mom has seen FOTR and says it's too dark for her, but i have finally convinced her to read the Hobbit, since it's a great intro book, and the movie is coming out in December. i have no clue about my dad, but my stepdad says the movies are good, but he's not obsessive or anything. same with my sister. so, im the only Tolkien geek in my family. Thankfully, i can geek out on here and when i was at music camp this summer i made friends with another Tolkien fangirl...yeah, we geeked out for like, 10 minutes. then we had to go eat. lol. only like 2 of my friends like LOTR, one of my best friends saw RotK and thought it was weird, and now whenever i mention LOTR she is like EWWW. but she calls Legolas "pretty boy" and Gimli "beardy" and Eowyn "the female rebel".
"What are we holding onto, Sam?" "That there's some good in this world, Mr Frodo. and it's worth fighting for."
Aarien Miiriel
Council Member
Send Message
on: October 09, 2012 10:00
My mother thinks Aragorn/Viggo is extremely handsome.

Me and my father just laugh!

(It's kind of distracting, though, when you are caught up in the action at Helm's Deep and there is this huge dramatic happy *sigh* from the couch.)
Aarien Miiriel Of the Realm of Vana I am nothing without God!
dwellerofthewest
Council Member
Send Message
on: October 24, 2012 08:35
My mother thinks it is violent(she does not like Pirates of the Carribean for the same reason) my grandmother argees with my mother on everthing. I am obesessed. My dad likes it but is not obsessed.
Hobbits2Isengard
Council Member
Send Message
Both my parents have read LotR, and my dad has also read Silmarillion, but neither of them show any signs of being a Tolkien fan. I remember one time, when I was about eight or nine, I found an old copy of Fellowship and asked if they thought I should read it; someone said no, they found it boring. I don't remember if it was actually one of my parents who said that, or if it was my older brother for some reason.

Anyway, I try to get them more into Tolkien by talking about the books at the dinner table or watching the movies with them, but none of them seems very willing.
Also, my dad is kind of a purist when it comes to the Hobbit movies, as in all the "Why three movies when it was one book, that money-grubbing studio, why the heck is Legolas in there blah blah blah"
The only real reaction I ever got so far from any parent was my mom liking Eomer's cavalry charge at Helm's Deep when I watched TTT with her.

Ah well, at least I will be able to get her to order me Silmarillion and Unfinished Tales off of Amazon
Members Online
Print Friendly, PDF & Email