Welcome Guest 

Register

Author Topic:
Figwit
Book Club Moderator & Misty Mountain Monster
Send Message
Post Sequence by sequence #16: The Breaking Of the Fellowship (The End)
on: August 23, 2003 10:53
this is the last one guys

anyway, caps are available for The Great River, The Breaking Of the Fellowship, Departure Of Boromir and extended scene

So, for the last time: Did the Argonath look like you imagined them? What did you think of that quarrel between Boromir and Aragorn? How about Merry & Pippin: heroism or stupidity? Did Boromir die a convincing death? and so on...

and the poll question... which part did you like best?
Figwit
Book Club Moderator & Misty Mountain Monster
Send Message
Post RE: Sequence by sequence #16: The Breaking Of the Fellowship (The End)
on: August 23, 2003 11:31
Yeah, I know this is a really big chunk, but this way we've finished discussing FOTR before TTT is released, and that way - if you'd like - we could immediately start discussing TTT. If anyone is interested, that is.

Okay, where to begin? With the beginning!

The Anduin sequence was great: breathtaking. The Uruk-hai running along the river, the Argonath, the quarrel between Boromir and Aragorn (with Boromir hitting the nail on the head), the Log-with-eyes (MY PRECIOUS)... wonderful!
No comments there.

I adored that moment when the boats are pulled to shore and Frodo and Boromir get out of them: there's this small hesitation on Frodo's behalf and Boromir seems to be shaking with a fever... I loved the tension that created, though a lot of people seemed not to have noticed.

Of course, on the whole, this sequence was dominated by acting performances.
Most impressive, to me, was Sean Bean. Not just because it's Boromir (my favourite character) or because he manages to die in a very very sexy way ( :blush: ), but just because he was... perfect. From attempted diplomacy (There are other paths we could take) over sheer madness (You'll take the Ring to Sauron) to complete surrender (My king...): it was all there, and it was perfect. It wasn't over the top (as I feared at first) and it wasn't like Bean went in full Sharpe-mode and just started to play the soldier: Boromir, despite all the changing moods, remained the same character from all the scenes before. That alone is amazing.
It's pretty amusing to hear the audio comment on FOTR by PJ, Boyens and Walsh: they keep singing Bean's praise. It seems he surprised them as much as he surprised me.
Especially his death scene was breathtaking. Not that I liked it at first (I didn't like Sean Bean the first few times), but after a third viewing it was: bingo! When Aragorn gives him his sword, that little detail does it for me. From one warrior to another, it seems.

Moving along: Elijah Wood. Very impressive. He makes a difficult translation from book to screen easier to comprehend: why does Frodo decide to go on on his own? Why does he leave everyone behind? He manages, despite his looks and the way his character was portrayed (::cough:: weak! ::cough: to seem very wise and determined. In the end, you just *know* that he's right, even if it comes as a total surprise.
That's also why I liked that little moment between Merry and Frodo so much: a little acknowledgement of that deep friendship Tolkien writes about.

Also very impressive: Viggo Mortensen when he says goodbye to Boromir. That seems very heartfelt. I think Mortensen is a very good actor, but there were too many changes to his character for me to like his performance.

What is left to mention? A few things:
- Gimli's description of Emyn Muil and Pippin's reaction to it.
- Legolas' intrigued bird look
- the score! just amazing! wonderful!
- the last shot of the Hobbits looking out over Mordor: :drool:

[Edited on 24/8/2003 by Figwit]
eowynshue
CoE Volunteer
Send Message
on: August 24, 2003 07:53
as much as i loved all the boromir bits at the end (theres so many! and they're all fab!) i just cant help voting for frodo and sam in the boat. i love that bit! :love: its adorable! "i made a promise mr frodo! a promise! don't you leave him samwise gamgee! and i dont mean to, *sniff* i dont mean to" :cry: my fave line from the film! i love that part! :love: its so sweet
Legolas{Greenleaf}
Council Member
Send Message
on: August 24, 2003 09:02
It's hard for me to put into words the ending of the Fellowship of the Ring. But my favorite part is "Frodo's departure and Sam's attempt to follow him".

Frodo: Go back Sam! I’m going to Mordor alone.

Sam: Of course you are, and I’m coming with you!

It makes me tear up every time I watch it. It seemed a fitting end to the movie.

Peace~
Lady~of~the~Shield~Arm
Council Member
Send Message
on: August 24, 2003 09:15
It's hard for me to put into words the ending of the Fellowship of the Ring. But my favorite part is "Frodo's departure and Sam's attempt to follow him".

Frodo: Go back Sam! I’m going to Mordor alone.

Sam: Of course you are, and I’m coming with you!

It makes me tear up every time I watch it. It seemed a fitting end to the movie.

Oh I really Agree, Legolas!! It makes me cry everytime..
It's the same as the scene:
"don't you lose him, Samwise Gamgee, and I don't mean to!" :heart:

Btw, I chose the departure of Frodo (of course) but I also wanted to chose the Argonaths, I love that Scene!
Azaelia_Of_Willowbottom
Council Member
Send Message
on: August 24, 2003 09:42
I hope nobody minds me jumping in here. I agree with all you others: That bit at the end with Frodo and Sam::cry: it's just wonderful!
How about Merry & Pippin: heroism or stupidity?

Heroism or stupidity? hmmm. A little of both, but still a good part.

Did Boromir die a convincing death?

YES! It was so sad, every time I watch it I want to cry!:cry::cry:
iLikeLOTRaLittle2much
Council Member
Send Message
on: August 24, 2003 10:28
I voted for the Sam and Frodo scene. It is SO sad, and so sweet, and such a perfect illistraction of loyalty and friendship... so beautiful *sniff* :cry: And the hug and Frodo's little grunt, and just... everything about it. I love it :love:
Naurlas
CoE Volunteer
Send Message
on: August 24, 2003 11:47
The Argonath It was spot on! I loved the look on both Aragorn's and Boromir's faces as they looked up at the Numenorian kings, you could almost see the stories they had grown up with running through their heads. The quarrel between those two really brought their distinct differences into focus, Boromir was questioning Aragorn's loyalty to the race of men and you could see the conflict in Aragorn's eyes
(great job by both actors - and i must say it was good to see Sean Bean go all over the place with his emotions)

Merry & Pippin This was the first time other than Merry's comment in the forest "follow me", that you see the deeper connection between the Hobbits and them sacrificing themselves to the Urak-Hai ( although Pippin does flash a look at Merry like he's nuts before he starts shouting also...LOL)

Boromir's fight and death scene It was the sum of every last stand fight/for the greater good movie scene I've seen....period! I still tear up every dang time he says..."My brother, My captain, My king"....sheesh. I also loved the fierceness coming out in Merry and Pippin charging the Urak-Hai - tough little Hobbits they are!

Other favorite points Legolas's sense of the Urak-Hai - the cut back between their faces on the Anduin. The ring calling Aragorn's name and the look of desire that comes briefly across his face, fab-u-lous!!!!!! and then Aragorn raising the sword in front of his face as a salute before he dives into the fight ( "We who are about to die, salute you!!!...straight from the Roman gladiators! )

I'm ready for TTT Figwit....bring it on!!!!!!!
Roheryn
Council Member
Send Message
on: August 24, 2003 05:07
This is probably my favorite sequence in the whole movie. I voted for Boromir's last stand because I think it was so incredible and Sean Bean was superb but it barely edged out Frodo deciding to leave (his tears at the lakeshore set me to sobbing as well) and then Sam following him.

Boromir: Sean gave us everything here. We sympathized with him, we didn't trust him, we didn't like him at all for a few minutes, and in the end we loved him for his bravery and his redemption. I cry everytime I watch it. His death scene was beautiful. I've been a huge Sean Bean fan since the first time I saw this part of the film.

Frodo and Sam: Frodo's decision was both courageous and shows his love for his companions. He knew he had to go on but that those he cared about were in increasing danger the longer they were with him. For me it was not unexpected at all, it was exactly what I knew he would do, you could see it coming since they entered Lothlorien. The scene between him and Sam is so full of love for each other, they really were the very best of friends.

Merry and Pippin: Their actions were totally unselfish and very courageous. Merry knew Frodo was leaving and understood that he had to leave and they must buy him some time.

Aragorn: Aragorn starts to show signs of kingship here; in his exchanges both with Frodo and, especially, with Boromir. His raising of his sword to his forehead was to me more a sign of blessing and prayer for his weapon than a salute to his enemy, but that is just my take on it perhaps. His donning of Boromir's braces was an excellent touch.

Legolas and Gimli: I loved Gimli's description of Emyn Muil and his reaction to being told to recover his strength. Legolas' archery in the fight sequence was stunning even if the arrows were digital; his stance was always perfect and his actions like poetry in motion. The look on his face when he realized Boromir was dead got to me as well, once again he has to deal with the death of a member of the fellowship and he seems uncertain though not as confused as with the loss of Gandalf.

All in all a wonderful sequence and I could go on and on about it, but enough said for now.

Thank you Figgy for this thread, it has been very enjoyable and I look forward to another for TTT.
gaelowyn
Council Member
Send Message
on: August 25, 2003 03:23
perfect timing! not only do we finish up as TTT is released on DVD, but I watched this portion of the movie last nite, just so I'd be ready!
Anyways, I voted for Boromir's last stand. i have no words to describe it.. i mean Sean Bean took me from practically despising Boromir, to tears as I watched him defend Merry and Pippin, in my mind they were proxies(stand-ins) for Frodo. Boromir lost his chance to defend Frodo, but dang it! He would not, ney could not allow Merry and pippin to fall! And, by the way, I finally saw the horn cleaved...it flung up in the air after he got hit by the 3rd arrow, it hit down low on his abdomen. wasn't even looking for that one!

and i agree with figwit, I noticed last night Boromir's shudder and Frodo's hesitation as they landed on shore, very very cool foreshadowing!
if I could vote twice, my second vote would be for the Frodo/Sam exchange as Frodo attempts to leave alone. Last nite as I watched this scene for the 5th time(at least) i noticed how long Frodo stood on the shore with ring in hand, just staring out into space..it never hit me before how he grappled with it. Then he started remembering his talk with Gandalf in Moria, and I was once again moved by the simple philosophy of "All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to us." And you can see in Frodo's eyes, his decision has been made now for some time, but now he can ACT on that decision. I just love this movie more and more as I watch it, and pick up all the little details! Thank you again Figwit for all your time and effort in doing this scene-by-scene! If you like, let's move on to The Two Towers!!!
Lessa
Council Member
Send Message
on: August 25, 2003 10:07
I loved the whole sequence from the time they hit the river. It was extremely well done but I voted fro Boromir's death scene.
The interaction between Boromir and Aragorn was perfect. It showed that underneath Boromir wasn't so bad just misguided in his need to impress his father. It alao gave us a wonderful insight into the man Aragorn is and will contiue to be. I also liked that he allowed himself to cry openly at the lost of a friend. Even the reactions of Legolas and Gimli were just exactly as I pictured. Every time I see this part of the film I cry buckets. My children think I'm nuts because I know what's going to happen but I still cry.
It happens even when I just hear the music from this scene.

Lessa
Ainulindale
Last Homely Housekeeper
& Gallery Shirriff

Send Message
on: August 25, 2003 01:24
I thought the scene with Merry and Pippin creating diversion was the best.

What did I think of that quarrel between Boromir and Aragorn? It was very well done, though unneccesary. Somehow it made Boromir's death seemingly deserved- he fought with the hero of the story, and I didn't take to that very well. This is one part they shouldn't have added. For one it makes Old Borry look like the bad guy, and Aragorn look like an undecided jittery fella.

Merry & Pippin: heroism or stupidity? I'd call it lurve! they didn't think once of being heros or anything, all they thought of was to help Frodo and let him do what he needed to do. That's true friendship.

Did Boromir die a convincing death? The best part in the whole movie, I think. It was so real and moving, including Legolas' and Gimli's expressions. I nearly cried- which is a big thing because I haven't cried in a cinema since The Ugly Duckling years ago.
Legolin
Council Member
Send Message
on: August 26, 2003 08:40
I voted for Boromir's last stand. I loved that part of the movie. The first time I went to see LotR it was just to see Sean Bean, he did the part so well.

On a side note, I liked the part where Aragorn bade Boromir good bye. When he reached down and kissed him on the forehead, some lame person in the audience shouted "He's gay!", I nearly shoved the Horn of Gondor up his nose... sideways:angry:
gaelowyn
Council Member
Send Message
on: August 26, 2003 09:21
legolin,
you're nicer than i would've been. I would've chosen a more "southern" location for the horn!!! lol
Roheryn
Council Member
Send Message
on: August 26, 2003 10:35
I would have probably done the same as you gaelowyn, while muttering '#*&# idiot' under my breath.
Naurlas
CoE Volunteer
Send Message
on: August 26, 2003 12:14
We can only hope who ever it was that yelled that nasty %$s comment in the theater, choked on the last bit of popcorn in his or her bucket!!!!!!!!
drunken_elf
CoE Volunteer
Send Message
on: August 27, 2003 12:54
I love the entire sequence at Amon Hen, it is one of my favourites from both movies. And I'm one of those people who can never say what their absolute favourite scene is..

First the Argonath sequence: stunning! I love the little touch with bird's nest in the eye! And the reactions from the Fellowship are great too.

The arrival at Amon Hen: I noticed the Frodo/Boromir shudder/hesitation moment too, I love it, it's a nice little touch. I too love Gimli and Aragorn's exchange about Emyn Muil and "recovering strength". I thought it was a very Gimli moment that JRD pulled off perfectly.

Boromir/Frodo discussion: Sean Bean is a genius!
Boromir: Sean gave us everything here. We sympathized with him, we didn't trust him, we didn't like him at all for a few minutes, and in the end we loved him for his bravery and his redemption. I cry everytime I watch it. His death scene was beautiful. I've been a huge Sean Bean fan since the first time I saw this part of the film.

I completely agree with Roheryn here. Sean just puts in the most amazing performance, it makes me wish Boromir could be reincarnated in TTT and be around in ROTK as well..This scene just sort of lets you see these two characters struggling with burdens - it's a great emotional scene.

Aragorn's farewell to Frodo is perfect. Although not in the book, I think it just fits so well - to see Aragorn tempted, and then to understand and let Frodo go. Great stuff from both Viggo and Elijah!

Merry and Pippin creating a diversion: I love this M&P moment - it shows the bond they have to Frodo, which is so strong that they sacrifice themselves for him. And it shows how much they've grown up, and they're starting to understand..It's touching...(maybe there was a bit of stupidity in there- but in my mind it's heroism all the way)

Boromir's last stand/death: Again, Sean Bean is a genius! This was what I had to vote for, because it is one of the most memorable moments of FOTR for me. I have cried almost every time I've seen it (though now it's possibly into the hundreds!). The music is so beautiful too, it complements the scene so well. Aragorn's farewell to Boromir is one of the most moving scenes of FOTR for me. That moment when Legolas and Gimli run up too, and the looks on their faces, is so sad . But for me the moment that sums it up is when Aragorn kisses Boromir on the head, and stands up and you see that one tear (and in the EE he says,"They will look to his coming from the White Tower, but he will not return." or something like that)..Perfect.

Frodo and Sam: One quote says it all: "Don't you leave him Samwise Gamgee, and I don't mean to. I don't mean to." It's really a perfect way to end - with the last line being, "Sam, I'm glad you're with me."

I just have to mention the Three Hunters deciding to follow Merry and Pippin - because from there comes one of my favourite quotes/personal motto: Let's hunt some Orc! Those three, I love em..

Well if you didn't get it from above, I love these scenes very very much.Cheers!
Gwenhwyfar
Council Member
Send Message
on: August 31, 2003 06:23
Well, I was just about to go into a long post about why I loved this whole sequence, and especially Boromir's death (even more so after seeing the little argument in the EE), but then I read Figwit's post, and it said it all! I absolutely agree!
Londe
Council Member
Send Message
on: September 11, 2003 03:03
This is a close tie between the Depature of Boromir and Frodo and Sam leaving for Mordor

Depature of Boromir
A beautiful job done by Sean Bean here, extremely realistic, and heart wrenching. It was such a complete transformation from the last time you saw him. You felt sympathy for a fellow that a few moments ago you hated...it was truly amazing

Frodo and Sam Leaving For Mordor
Once again a wonderful acting job by both Elijah Wood and Sean Astin. Wood did a great job of showing us the fear that Frodo felt, and yet at the same time his since of duty and self-sacrifice. And Sam's sincere friendship for Frodo is beautifully represented in his attempt to swim to the boat, and almost drowning, just to help Mr. Frodo. "I made a promise Mr. Frodo. A promise!..."
snowystingray
Council Member
Send Message
on: September 12, 2003 11:55
Not only was this the best part of this film, but this is probably the best sequence out of any film ever. I'm not even going to attempt to say how much I love this because... Well... I just can't! It's too perfect!
k
Cavegirl
Send Message
on: September 13, 2003 09:07
wow i cant believe i missed posting in this thread.

well so the anduin was spectacular... the argonath! great!! just breathtaking. i soo want to kyack on that river!

of course this whole scene was just fantastic. just brilliant! and i have to say it contained one of the more realistic deaths ive ever seen.... people dont die happily with thier mouths shut and eyes closed and a peaceful look on thier face... *sigh* this bit was just incredible, i cant explain it any better and im guessing you all know what i mean.

neowyn
Council Member
Send Message
on: September 13, 2003 12:51
Absolutely agree, I love it when a death scene is done well, and this one is amazing. It's just perfect. Aragorn's reaction to it, the final words, you don't miss anything, and you feel nothing is too much... just perfect
even though I voted for the Frodo departure scene, since my emotions were so attached to it... Sam's loyalty, the words, it just kills me...
Council Member
Send Message
on: September 16, 2003 02:37
Okay, here we go. As for the Argonath, that was wonderful. Just wonderful. 'Tis my background. Merry and Pippin's diversion, it was rather clever, I thought, the music made it sad, as well. Sam and Frodo, well, no arguing here. It was fantastic...Sam proved himself well in that seen. The departure of Boromir: I think that was the best and most heart-wrenchingly tragic death scene in cinematic history. I am in full-fledged weepiness by this point. And the battle of the Uruk-hai and Aragorn, plus the others. Totally cool. Aragorn looks so awesome when he ducks the sword and then start hacking away...so sexy. :drool:
Eothain
Council Member
Send Message
on: September 21, 2003 03:37
Hello! Sorry i'm a bit late but i forgot my CoE password (and couldn't retrive it for some reason) then i remembered i saved it in a word document!

Anyway, i voted for Boromir's last stand because it's just so heroic. He charges into battle, horribly outnumbered yet he fights anyway. He could have just left Merry and Pippin to get captured but instead he lrisks his life. Also, he fights heroically and even when heavilly wounded, he kepts on fighting, like Figwit said a long time ago "He takes one look at the hobbits, then gets up and fights again.". Also, his death is very sad and it he says on of the best lines in the entire film: "I would have followed you, my brother, my captain, my king."

Frodo's depature is also very good, when he's standing on the banks of the river and you hear Gandalf's words from Moria which to him must seem so long ago especially as he believes him to be dead.

[Edited on 21/9/2003 by Eothain]
fbc
Council Member
Send Message
on: May 13, 2005 11:11
I loved watching this part.
Sassyfriend
Council Member
Send Message
Post Re: Sequence by sequence #16: The Breaking Of the Fellowship (The End)
on: September 20, 2012 11:50
I agree with all of you these scenes are so superb especally Boromir's last fight and his death. I get teary eyed just reading about it or even thinking about it. And oh my Aragorn's tears and the looks on Legolas and Gimli's faces are totally heartbreaking!
I got tears in my eyes right now!
Members Online
Print Friendly, PDF & Email