Register

<< First678910
Author Topic:
Galadivren
Council Member
Send Message
For the most up to date Quenya dictionary you want the one from this link:
http://folk.uib.no/hnohf/wordlists.htm
As you mention Ambar Eldaron it may be the version from 2008, the one above was last overhauled 2013.

If you're interested in the rules for reconstruction I could give you them, I have a document (about 2 pages) devoted to it. It details all the letter changes over time and how to take a word from Quenya to Sindarin, or Noldorin to Sindarin (or from a root to either Q or S).

[Edited on 02/12/2015 by Galadivren]
Lynk
Council Member
Send Message
I guess everything that helps me makes me stronger

Thx for the dic btw!
De andelu ervenin! Mabo i grist hen. It's dangerous to go alone! Take this sword!
Galadivren
Council Member
Send Message
This isn't my version, as looking at mine it kind of requires you to know the original first (it expands upon it):

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/22676988/Quenya%20to%20Sindarin%20letter%20changes.docx
Lynk
Council Member
Send Message
Well, I thank you for the link, I'll have a look and compare it to my document with the rules! But I want to share my work on the Ithildin of Shadow of Mordor.
(I even got a thumbs up from a game dev, who was in the language section of SoM, on the reddit forum of SoM, where my username is Celedethor)

http://www.directupload.net/file/d/3874/klmmkg5f_pdf.htm
De andelu ervenin! Mabo i grist hen. It's dangerous to go alone! Take this sword!
Galadivren
Council Member
Send Message
Ah that is yours, I had wondered. I found it when I was looking into the word for you. I have the game (got it for Christmas) but haven't done a lot with it yet so haven't finished the Ithildin door. So I wandered over to YouTube to find a recording of the poem to see if the pronunciation was a wee bit dodgy and it was meant to be something else. It is indeed a bit ropey in places but it didn't seem to be anything other than what you have in your document.

Anyway, I'm afraid at the moment (sans inspiration) I can't help you any further with arphígad as it doesn't resemble really the root POY from which Poica, Puig (pure, clean) and Puiga- come.

Edit. Inspiration finally came. It's from the Quenya verb píca- 'to lessen, dwindle, wane' which would become píga- in Exilic Sindarin.

[Edited on 02/13/2015 by Galadivren]
Lynk
Council Member
Send Message
"Anyway, I'm afraid at the moment (sans inspiration) I can't help you any further with arphígad as it doesn't resemble really the root POY from which Poica, Puig (pure, clean) and Puiga- come."
That was my problem too!

"Edit. Inspiration finally came. It's from the Quenya verb píca- 'to lessen, dwindle, wane' which would become píga- in Exilic Sindarin."

Well I guess that is clear now thanks again! But how did you find my linguistic analysis of the poem?
I got the game soon after release and was so interested in the ithildin wall that it was the first thing I completed
Galadivren
Council Member
Send Message
It's fairly solid, but there's a few things I'd change (though I'm not sure if that's on your part or the original translators in fairness) particularly around the verb na- which is entirely reconstructed.

Nannormally is a preposition, and the original reconstruction for 1st person present of Na- was Non/Naun, not Nan. The actor definitely says 'nan' though.

Regarding 'tridaeol' I would suggest it's 'tredaeol' as tre- when affixed to a verb denotes 'through to completion' which is the meaning given as opposed to the preposition trî. Or at least it should be, and I'm going to go with 'it was pronounced wrong'.

Think you missed a word from the next line, he distinctly says 'an achared', i.e 'vengeance for', as 'achared' is the noun from the verb, so 'vengeance' would be the closest approximate meaning.
Di here isn't 'under', it's the pronoun 'they are', making the sentence in Sindarin mean: 'Vengeance for those who were betrayed long ago' essentially.

I don't hear a second 'o' in 'Erio thelaith gurth', I just hear 'Arise (from) fields (of) death'. Lovely example of how neat Sindarin can be. We know it's not 'death fields' because 'death' doesn't lenite to 'urth.

Edwenna - 'm' can indeed change to a 'w' in some mutations.

Nathadhir - you could add in here that 'dhir' is the Doriathrin pronominal ending, which gives it a nice flavour of being an older speaker (which he is). Similarly with Naudhir - Doriathrin pronominal ending.

Could mention that Dam becomes Nam due to it having an ND root (and thus leniting to N not DH).

As Sindarin doesn't have auxiliary verbs, you need to make it clear that Natha is 'he will be' not 'he shall be' as it doesn't have 'aen' following it.

Had to listen a few times to the next bit to check whether he's saying 'had' or 'hand/t' as the former would make more sense.

Again Natha here will be 'It will be' (no such form that includes the word 'there'). 'It will be light to you undiminished'.

I rather suspect the pronunciation of the last line missed off the 'r' (i.e. he can't or didn't trill it to distinguish gellathar from gellatha and gostathar from gostatha). 'All people (they) will fear me and (they will) rejoice' makes far more sense than the singular forms you have.
Galadivren
Council Member
Send Message
Also, moving on past that. It's 'Naur dan i ngaurhoth' (all four of these lines are from the Lord of the Rings, this part is from the Burnt Tor) as in 'Fire against the wolfhost' not 'Nau'.

Elbereth Gilthoniel is slightly more than a great Elf woman, she's a Vala, specifically Varda.
Lynk
Council Member
Send Message
Thanks for the suggestions and I shall make these alternations,
I took the original text from the release version. (Dunno if there has been an update to correct the Few mistakes) But I will compare the written material to what the elven smith is actually saying. And I'll update the game as well.
Concerning "gurth" wouldn't it lenit to "ngurth" if it was "death fields"?

Edit:
Indeed you were right about him saying "An achared" but it wasn't written down so I did not pay attention to that in the first place,

And in the game recording you can make out the second o in "Erio o thelaith gurth"

Btw, shouldn't "telaith" be soft mutated rather nasaly mutated since it had to be "uin" for that instead of "od" or am I mistaken?

[Edited on 02/14/2015 by Lynk]
Galadivren
Council Member
Send Message
All prepositions that include 'i' (uin, min etc.) that end in an 'n' use nasal mutation. O(d) = soft, uin = nasal.

If it were 'death fields' it would be ngurth yes. Or ngyrth if we're following 'pluralise the adjective' too.
Jake Valentine Lane
Council Member
Send Message
Hello everybody, I am new comer to the CoE and I hope to study one of the elvish languages but I am in a bit of s predicament.. I am from Ireland and speak Irish so naturally Sindarin would be the obvious choice for me as some aspects of the language are similar to each other and I just think it's a nicer language because of its lack of accents over the words in the language. But as I was reading the introduction it stated that it is not possible to be fluent in Sindarin and speak it as an everyday language and that kinda disappointed me because I would enjoy being able to have fluent conversations with other speakers of the language. So I guess my biggest question is should I study Quenya just because there's more information available on the language ? Or is it possible to speak Quenya fluently as an everyday language ? I'd really appreciate any information on the subject, thanks. J.V.L
einon
Council Member
Send Message
That put me off too.
Kyrstiel
Council Member
Send Message
Ok I have a Sindarin question. I was studying some online publications on Sindarin and found a word which is noted as meaning "Flee" But there are 3 different versions on the word. Dreg, Drega and Drego

Can anyone tell me if this word and meaning are legitimate and.. if so.. what is the difference between these?

My guess is that it may have something to do with who you are addressing or how many you are addressing while using it? Or... perhaps a tense.. future present past?
Lokyt
Council Member
Send Message
Congratulations to your (maybe) first encounter with Sindarin verb grammar
Indeed this has to do with conjugation. Namely, drego is an imperative form, i.e. the one used by anyone to ask or order anyone else to do the thing.
Unfortunately, it's also the only form of this verb Tolkien gave us; so we don't know if its bare stem (= the form to which all the suffixes of person, number, tense etc. are added) is dreg- or drega-.
Ealendil
Council Member
Send Message
-- Reposted in the translation request thread instead, sorry. --

[Edited on 04/10/2017 by Ealendil]
<< First678910
Members Online
Print Friendly, PDF & Email