Register

<< First56789Last >>
Author Topic:
Naneth
Elvish 101 Moderator
Send Message
Post RE: Tips For Newbies !!
on: June 05, 2005 08:26
We recommend Dan Smith's fonts. Have you looked at those ??
Celebnor
Council Member
Send Message
on: June 10, 2005 01:27
Hi! I started learning Sindarin about a week ago. I think the workbook really helps...it's hard to just read a lesson then 'know' everything.

I keep a LOTR binder, but a need a bigger one...doesn't hold everything!
FluhAw
Council Member
Send Message
on: June 15, 2005 05:51
Thanks.. I'm a new member of CoE, and I'm not even from a english speaking country, so it's pretty hard for me to understand everything on this website (I have to sit with a dictionary all the time LOL), and I would really like to learn to speak or/and write sindarin.. So the "tips for newbies" has been a great help.. Thanks again..

Oh.. and the sindarin workbook is also great.. now I know where to start!
Telpe
Council Member
Send Message
on: August 16, 2005 01:56
Hallo friends of the Elves,
you did a great job but I have a big problem. I do not know english and I can not undestand many things you write which are very usefull but..... I would like to learn Sintarin. In my country I found only books for Quenya. Can somebody help me to download (if it is possible) the Sintarin book and dictionary; I am sorry for my mistakes but I will try to do my best......Thank you very much for the good things that I found here in this place.....
Fíriel
Enethdan Edhellen
Send Message
on: August 17, 2005 03:00
Telpe,

if you don't mind me asking; what's your native language? It's just that I might know students who also happen to speak the language you do. Anyway, to access the lessons, go to the Languages entry in the Main Menu, click Workbook, then when the page loads, scroll down and click the second View This Workbook link. Alternatively, here's a direct link to it:

http://www.councilofelrond.com/modules.php?op=modload&name=Workbook&file=workbook&dp=workbook&workbook=2

A link to the offline version of the Workbook (however, this is nowhere near as recent as the online version, so just keep that in mind):

http://www.councilofelrond.com/languages/CoESindarinCourseLessonsII.doc

Here's a direct link to the Languages Dictionaries at this site:

http://www.councilofelrond.com/modules.php?op=modload&name=Dictionary&file=index

... And a link to its downloadable version:

http://www.councilofelrond.com/languages/sindengdic.doc

[Edited on 17/8/2005 by Fíriel]
Elfstone88
Council Member
Send Message
on: August 18, 2005 05:04
Hey, I'm new to this whole elvish thing but I really really want to learn it...I was wondering if anyone wanted to kind of be my tutor and all and keep like a chat going with me and stuff as I try to attempt this language
Fíriel
Enethdan Edhellen
Send Message
on: August 18, 2005 06:48
Elfstone, you might be interested in having a study buddy then, who is somebody who will discuss and help you with Sindarin -- don't worry, you can get study buddies at more advanced levels than yourself. You can sign up for a study buddy in the 'Does anybody want a study buddy' thread near the top of the forum.
9digithobbit
Council Member
Send Message
on: November 20, 2005 07:01
Hi all, I've just started studying Sindarin, and I am grasping it conceptually fairly well, but the pronunciation is giving me troubles... I saw there is a link to a place with audio files in the intro study pages, but it appears to be dead... does anyone know of anyplace else with audio for basic pronunciation rules? It would be a great help to me! Thanks in advance! (and forgive me if this has been asked, I skimmed through the replies here but didn't see anything about it except that same page)
Eldandil
Council Member
Send Message
on: November 24, 2005 03:01
I'm new here and I just wanted to know if I have to print all this stuff to which links at the beginning are provided. And a second question: if I won't to ask about a specific translation matter can I just create a new topic or should I rather post my request somewhere else?
Fíriel
Enethdan Edhellen
Send Message
on: November 25, 2005 01:02
Hi 9digithobbit,

unfortunately, there are no other sites I know of which feature audio files for pronunciation, so you might just have to listen to audio recordings of translations or compositions, like Tolkien's reading of A Elbereth Gilthoniel (temporary link).

Eldandil, I suppose you're referring to the links at the start at Lesson One? Most of the links are to things which can't be printed -- the Sindarin Accents link doesn't have to be printed either, although it's recommended you refer to it when you have to input Sindarin's special characters into the exercises. The one thing you probably need to print for the first few lessons though is the Sindarin Mutations Chart. Also, for translation matters, just start a new topic, and we'll do our best to help.

Fíriel
9digithobbit
Council Member
Send Message
on: November 26, 2005 01:48
Wow, thanks Fíriel! I'm sure that will be helpful!
Eldandil
Council Member
Send Message
on: November 27, 2005 09:52
Thank you Firiel! Now let's start studying!
elenwarriorprincess123
Council Member
Send Message
on: January 13, 2006 04:23
Ok. I started studying Sindarin from a different source a while back but I kind of droppedit. Now I found this place and I've sort of started again but I was wondering if anyone knew where you could find like worksheets for Sindarin. Not the ones here but like you get in spanish or like in a spanish book. (im learning spanish) It has to be in english though because that is what I speak. I'm sorry this post is a bit confusing but it if you understand it please help.
Thanks
Tsini-tia
Fíriel
Enethdan Edhellen
Send Message
on: January 17, 2006 03:04
Sorry, I don't understand what you mean by 'worksheets'. Are you referring to exercises which can be printed, perhaps?
Rebecca_C
CoE Volunteer & Weeper of Nienna
Send Message
on: January 19, 2006 01:45
Have you tried the link on Naneth's first post in this thread, right at the bottom, labelled 'extra elvish practice'? I've not done any but it'd be a good place to go. I think you can get there by clicking languages on the left hand side of the page then finding the same link there. They're not worksheets as such, but it's worth a try.

EDIT- from languages you have to click on 'studying elvish tools' then find the extra practice link!

[Edited on 19/1/2006 by Rebecca_C]
Symbelminë
Council Member
Send Message
on: April 15, 2006 08:41
Hi, everyone!
I've been trying to make a few traslations and I had a hard time finding the translation for the word "colour". I just can't find it anywere! :\
I have a small elvish dictionary (non-official) and I tried to guide myself through it... But the only thing i found was "light (colour)(adj): Kalina".
Since I'm not sure about the accuracy of this dictionary, I thought maybe I'd find someone here who can help me!

Thanks!

P.S. I have also got Hiswelokë's sindarin dictionary (Dragon Flame) but it's no use. It also has nothing about the word "colour"
gwendeth
Accounts Admin, Sindarin Mod & Head Stargazer of Varda
Send Message
on: April 15, 2006 09:25
Suilad, Symbelminë.

Just so you know - this is the kind of question it's better to start a new thread on.

To answer your question, though, there is no Sindarin word for 'color', unfortunately.

There was some discussion about this on Elfling some time ago, and the Neo-Sindarin construction pil was proposed as a possibility.

"Tolo si, a tiro i cherth Eru" "Come now, and see the works of God"
PhatHobbit
Council Member
Send Message
on: June 26, 2006 05:06
Hi, everyone! I'm brand new here and I would love to learn Elvish, but I don't know which language is the one I want to learn!

Which is the one that Arwen spoke in the movies? (Assuming that they used an authentic Elf-tongue...).
Fíriel
Enethdan Edhellen
Send Message
on: June 30, 2006 02:05
Hi PhatHobbit ~ welcome to the site and to the forums!

Which is the one that Arwen spoke in the movies? (Assuming that they used an authentic Elf-tongue...).

Arwen speaks Sindarin... whether it's authentic or not is debatable. The Sindarin in the movies is called Neo-Sindarin, that is, Sindarin reconstructed to fill in gaps in our knowledge of grammar and vocabulary, but still having a basis in Tolkien's works.

As for choosing an elvish language, the most important factor is probably just personal preference -- getting a feel for the languages and deciding which one appeals to you more, as Quenya and Sindarin are very different in sounds and grammar.
ElvenAtHeart
Council Member
Send Message
on: October 13, 2006 03:43
*nods head* Just did a bit of research, and as I discovered that Sindarin was used a bit more than Quenya in LotR, I decide that was the one I wanted to study! I shall start soon, I think. Maybe not right away...Perhaps I might even wait until Christmas break. But I don't know.

However, whenever I do start, before I do, I have a question for you guys, so please help?

Did printing out CoE's Sindarin Dictionary take up a lot of paper and ink? I copied it onto word and it took up like 80 pages. Of course, if I flipped them over and did some on the back it would only take up about 40 or so. But that's still a lot of ink and still paper, as well. I'll probably be willing to do it, but I shall get some weird looks from my father as he looks at the printer...
Fíriel
Enethdan Edhellen
Send Message
on: October 28, 2006 05:23
Hi Elven (sorry for the late reply!). It did. However, you can reduce the usage costs depending on how much fiddling you're prepared to do.

As an example, I took the text in the Printable CoE Sindarin Dictionary, dumped it into a word processor, set the page format in landscape, made two columns for each page, and duplexed both sides of each page. I ended up with 30 pages with a larger font size than the original (to protect my eyes), but if you're willing to have a fairly small font, you could reduce the page count even further. Don't forget to fiddle with margins, especially if you don't intend to use it in a ring binder!

Another example, using slightly different settings, an old (not current!) version of the English-Sindarin dictionary, which, if were printed as duplex, could be reduced to nine pages.

http://firiel.councilofelrond.net/wiki/uploads/Elvish/Eng-Sind.doc

Of course, your best bet would be to gain access to a laser printer. They usually print more cheaply masses of greyscale pages than home inkjet printers.

Edit: You might also want to consider Hiswelókë's excellent Sindarin dictionaries ... they're more detailed, which might be an advantage or a disadvantage, depending on what you need.

[Edited on 29/10/2006 by Fíriel]
ElvenAtHeart
Council Member
Send Message
on: November 06, 2006 01:23
Thank you! I shall keep all that you have said in mind.

Alqua_Morelin
Council Member
Send Message
on: November 11, 2006 01:19

Also singing in Sindarin is fun. Tara has a couple of of verses with sound files Song of the Wandering Elves and the Steward Song; you can hear sing. http://members.cox.net/taramiluiel/translations.htm

Eruanneth04

I was wondering, does anyone have the soundfiles that where on Tara's site? I did have them on my computer, but it crached a while ago, and the website is down, so i can't get them again
Fíriel
Enethdan Edhellen
Send Message
on: November 11, 2006 05:32
These don't appear to be the same files, but try: http://tara.istad.org/songs.htm . Poke around the rest of her site to see if there are more files.
Alqua_Morelin
Council Member
Send Message
on: November 12, 2006 01:07
thanks
Flame_of_Anor
Council Member
Send Message
on: November 12, 2006 12:25
i just joined, and i want to learn one of the languages, but i don't know which. Which one would be more usefull, like has the most written in it in LotR etc...
Flame_of_Anor
Council Member
Send Message
on: November 12, 2006 01:00
also if anyone could tell me which language has less gaps in the knowledge...
Fíriel
Enethdan Edhellen
Send Message
on: November 13, 2006 05:42
Welcome to the forums, Flame. :wave:

Which one would be more usefull, like has the most written in it in LotR etc...

Sindarin is very common in LOTR as names, Quenya less so. On the other hand, some substantial phrases and verse appear as Quenya in LOTR.

also if anyone could tell me which language has less gaps in the knowledge...

Most definitely Quenya.

Also take into account what appeals to you more. If you like the sound of Quenya more, go for it -- same goes for Sindarin, of course. Enthusiasm and perseverance for a particular language goes a long way in overcoming any difficulties.

Also, have you read the Guide? It might help address some common issues.

Ask if you've any more questions.
IndilwenMiel
Council Member
Send Message
on: December 10, 2006 02:47
I was wondering if I should purchase "A Gateway to Sindarin : A Grammar of an Elvish Language from J. R. R. Tolkien's Lord of the Rings" by David Salo.

Does anyone know if this book is any good?

Tyrhael
Council Member
Send Message
on: December 10, 2006 08:52
You can read reviews of David Salo's book by Thorsten Renk, Bertrand Bellet, Carl F. Hostetter, and Patrick H. Wynne.
Fíriel
Enethdan Edhellen
Send Message
on: December 10, 2006 02:14
You can also find threads discussing this book in the forums, which include Renk's own comments.

I have the book, and would say it's good -- but it depends what you want out of it, I suppose. Some students starting out want it in the belief it'll teach them everything there is to know about Sindarin, which is not the best perspective. It's a useful ]reference material, but it does present some of his speculation as fact, which means you have to take some things with a grain of salt. If you choose to get this book, just be discerning in what you read -- compare with other people's theories and the evidence at hand -- and you'll be fine.
IndilwenMiel
Council Member
Send Message
on: December 11, 2006 11:53
Thank you both very much
ElfmaidenofLorien
Council Member
Send Message
on: February 19, 2007 04:17
So, I've just started here and I hope to be able to keep up.
I have already started translating some things, but I'm still very new.
I haven't started until now because our printer broke and so I couldn't print out anything but we just got a new one and my dad is going to put it up today.
Is the first thing I should do is print out all the the stuff I need?
'Not even the gods above can separate the two of us, no nothing can come between you and I.'
Fíriel
Enethdan Edhellen
Send Message
on: February 19, 2007 04:28
I suppose it depends on what you think you need. The mutations chart and the keyboard accents guide are very handy to have as print copies. Although it often helps to have printed copies of Workbook lessons on which to make notes, you probably don't need to have them printed straight away. If you do, just print one lesson at a time. Keep in mind that the online Workbook version will always be the latest. Lengthier resources such as verb charts and dictionaries are useful to have, but are by no means necessary to have offline, not for the near future anyway.

This is all in my own opinion, of course. It does depend on how you learn also.

[Edited on 19/2/2007 by Fíriel]
ElfmaidenofLorien
Council Member
Send Message
on: February 19, 2007 03:23
thank you, I can't wait to start.
'Not even the gods above can separate the two of us, no nothing can come between you and I.'
<< First56789Last >>
Members Online
Print Friendly, PDF & Email