Welcome Guest 

Register

Author Topic:
Figwit
Book Club Moderator & Misty Mountain Monster
Send Message
Post TTT Sequence by sequence: Merry, Pippin & the Uruk-hai
on: September 06, 2003 11:14
since the action, certainly at the beginning of the movie, is so scattered, I'm going to take some scenes that don't really belong together but form one storyline and discuss these together

so, this thread is for the scenes with Merry & Pippin being captured by the Uruk-hai (so the two scenes before Fangorn): you can refresh your memory here

Did you like how the two Hobbits were portrayed here? How about the Uruks and the Orcs? and the poll question: which part did you like best?
merry2
CoE Volunteer
Send Message
Post RE: TTT Sequence by sequence: Merry, Pippin & the Uruk-hai
on: September 07, 2003 02:21
I voted for when the uruks were fighting. That was cool when Ugluk nocked off the orc's head. It was portrayed ok. I think PJ could have done a better job but all in all it was pretty good. I wish he would have shone the part where Pippin was telling Grishnak that he had the one ring on him and get Grishnak all mad. Alright,That's it for now.
k
Cavegirl
Send Message
on: September 07, 2003 02:58
this scene was ok.. i mean none of it stood out as being particularly breath taking or amazing but none of it stood out as being terrible... which is a good thing i guess.

hmm nope i really cant think of any real comments to make about this scene.

Nevthónîel
CoE Volunteer
Send Message
on: September 07, 2003 04:42
I don't know really, I'm not that fond of that scene. I voted for the attack of the rohirrims, though, I think it pretty cool and that scene made my heart beat faster.

Well, I admit that I wanted to see Aragorn..
LegolasMorkwood10
Council Member
Send Message
on: September 07, 2003 04:56
it is not one of my favorite scenes but it was a good one so I would have to vote for the attack of the Rohirrim

[Edited on 7/9/2003 by LegolasMorkwood10]
snowystingray
Council Member
Send Message
on: September 07, 2003 06:54
I have a hobbit fetish, so just seeing Merry and Pippin was nice. However, I would have to say what I really liked was the unfolding of the events of the night as Aragorn figured out what happened using his amazing Ranger tracking skills... I suppose that really doesn't count as part of this scene, though, does it?

EDIT: Oops, I forgot... One thing I did not like about this scene! If you watch when the Uruks are fighting, you can catch some flying entrails. Yeah, not the greatest image while scarfing down popcorn ::gets queasy just thinking about it::

[Edited on 7/9/2003 by snowystingray]
ShyHobbit
Council Member
Send Message
on: September 07, 2003 07:35
I'm not a big fan of orcs, but I voted just seeing Merry & Pippin again I adore the little guys :love: It's a shame about "What about them? They're fresh" orc though, he's the only baddie in the movie that's ever made me laugh and they had to go and lop his head off
Legolas{Greenleaf}
Council Member
Send Message
on: September 07, 2003 08:27
Just seeing Merry and Pippin again made this scene better. You gotta love those two

~Peace
iLikeLOTRaLittle2much
Council Member
Send Message
on: September 07, 2003 12:54
I voted for just seeing Merry and Pippin again, because what I really liked was seeing the way they interacted together. It kind of reminded me that through all of this... they are still able to maintain a light heart, and keep up their "Hobbitish" ways. I just love it when Merry says, "I think we might have made a mistake leaving the Shire." It's very refreshing to know that there's still room to joke around, and that the quest hasn't fully affected their characters to the point that they are unable to still be the Merry and Pippin that we love so much.
pippinsscarf
Council Member
Send Message
on: September 07, 2003 03:30
I voted for pippin droping the brooch.
I picked it because it shows how much pippin wanted aragorn to find them
Este
Council Member
Send Message
on: September 08, 2003 12:57
This is not one of the best Merry&Pippin scenes(at least for me),but Merry&Pippin are just so cool that it`s always a pleasure watching them.I voted the brooch part,for some reason I thought it was cute,even though it was kinda makes me sad to see that pretty elven brooch getting trampled over by muddy orc feet
Goldsand
Mystic of Ithilien
Send Message
on: September 08, 2003 10:19
I thought the interaction (especially their accents) between the Uruk-hai and Orcs was hilarious ... blame my warped sense of humor.
I voted for the Uruks fighting ... seeing Merry & Pippin again is a close second.

I liked when Merry was talking about the trees, although the haunting sound of the trees "talking" to each other while the orcs were hacking away at them made me feel very sad. (If only trees really could do this IRL ... perhaps we would still have forests aplenty ).

Love Merry's & Pippin's sense of humor through it all as well.

[Edited on 8/9/2003 by Merenwen~Goldsand]
Frodos_One_True_Love
Council Member
Send Message
on: September 09, 2003 02:58
I always feel bad for laughing at the orc that says "What about their legs..they don't need those."

But, anyway, I voted for the attack of the Rohirrim, although I also like the part where Pip dropped his Elven brooch. It shows that Pip actually has some brains.
Naurlas
CoE Volunteer
Send Message
on: September 09, 2003 12:45
I had to go with the Uruk-hai and the Orcs, mostly they have been used as faceless hoard but it was nice to see the delination between even them. I agree Frodos_one_true_love, the line about "the legs" was the best!

everything in life has a hierarchy, does it not? ( sheesh, i'm even talking like LoTR) i gotta go........:blush:
léfalí
Council Member
Send Message
on: September 10, 2003 03:52
just read that passage in the book... was not too happy with the whole sequence... APART from seeing Merry and Pippin again!!!!!!! (why where there so few scenes with them anyway?? there was more to tell!)
Mainly I think the situation could have been more scary and lifethreatening, like showing Grishnak and Lungburz being the calculative, determined leaders of their troops - would have made Merry and Pippin look all the better and even more heroic, don't you think?

[Edited on 10/9/2003 by léfalí]

[Edited on 14/10/2003 by léfalí]
Diva
Viggo Vixen, Supplanter of Arwen & Anti-Hugging Harpy
Send Message
on: September 26, 2003 09:39
As for the portrayal of Merry and Pippin, I was impressed with Pippin's initial decision to drop the brooch and his concern for Merry. Then later on, it's Merry who tells Pippin about the trees (Ents), and it's Merry who tells Pippin that they should crawl away while the Orcs and Uruks are distracted with their meat.

It felt to me as though Merry and Pippin were taking turns being smart, because PJ didn't want either of them to look too smart, so he made them share intelligence; especially since they had been used primarilly for comic relief and emotional backdrop in FotR.

The Uruks and Orcs weren't horrible, though, it wasn't really my favorite scene with them. When they first say that they smell man-flesh, I saw it as a rather tacky allusion to the first film, I mean, I know that's what they call it but for some reason I just saw it as being a bit overboard. The shot of the army running forwards wasn't bad, but the fact that it included the main line from the Uruk music featured at Amon-Hen and Isengard in FotR I also saw as being overboard. I'm kind of torn because I know the music provides a good link, but I also saw it as a predictable aspect, which isn't necessarily a bad thing I suppose.

I did like when they were portrayed as actually being tired and hungry, and restless with one another, it brought some reality to it. I also liked that they were ready to eat the Hobbits though Saruman had ordered that the Halflings be delievered unspoiled. I found the leaders protecting the Hobbits a bit surprising, but not so much after the power was put to good use to kill another Orc. I must say that I loved the random flying intestine and various other entrails...nice touch.

As for the poll question I couldn't help but vote for, Where is my Aragorn? It was the closest thing to the truth. It's not that I was bored during the scene, but I had been waiting to see Aragorn for quite some time

The attack of the Rohirrim wsn't bad, but being the non-bookie that I am, I was totally lost trying to figure out who they were, I hit myself later for my apparent stupidity.

Yes, that's all. I've rambled for too long...again

Neneithel
Council Member
Send Message
on: September 26, 2003 12:38
The Rohirrim, riding up ready to fight. Impressive! Hoofbeats and the song of blade on blade (or orc armour). All sorts of ancestral instincts were alert after that!

Neneithel
drunken_elf
CoE Volunteer
Send Message
on: September 27, 2003 06:01
I am going to be a bit different and say that I loved these scenes! I voted for just seeing Merry and Pippin again, being my favourite characters and all. I think that these scenes would probably be my favourite of all the M&P scenes in TTT. Pippin dropping the brooch: great...Shows that Pip has kind of matured, grown into a bit of sense perhaps?
Uruks fighting: very familiar I thought, in comparison to the books. Good to see the tension between the orcs.
Rohirrim attack: aaaahhh impressive! Loved that rider who turned around while he was riding and shot an arrow backwards!
all in all, great scenes in my opinion!
Gwenhwyfar
Council Member
Send Message
on: September 28, 2003 03:38
I voted for the brooch part because I also liked that from the book, and I like Pippin, but if I had been totally honest I probably would have voted "Where's my Aragorn!" :love:
Lady~of~the~Shield~Arm
Council Member
Send Message
on: October 02, 2003 11:55
I voted for the brooch part because I also liked that from the book, and I like Pippin, but if I had been totally honest I probably would have voted "Where's my Aragorn!" :love:

hahaha YOUR aragorn??
diendrial
Council Member
Send Message
on: October 03, 2003 04:09
I voted for The Rohirrim. I thought it was really neat that you couldn't tell for sure who was attacking. It was dark and a surprise attack. I had no idea either and that added to the excitement. My very favorite scene was Merry and Pippin wanting to run away and not knowing where to go but just running around and the best part of that was when they went under the horse and bodies were falling all around them. It was cool. I also loved Pippin dropping the brooch because it was so Pippin to try and wake Merry first...he is always looking to Merry to think for him...but finding he was alone this time and had to do something at the thought of Aragon close behind he came through with shining colors. I also love the line that Aragon says when he finds the brooch...not idly do the leaves of Lorien fall...how poetic. As far as the Orcs and Uruks fighting...that was indeed Tolkein. They fought much in the Hobbit and the trilogy also and it is important that they come across having this flaw in their character. But as far as the favorite...just love those horseback raiders!

[Edited on 3/10/2003 by diendrial]

[Edited on 3/10/2003 by diendrial]
Figwit
Book Club Moderator & Misty Mountain Monster
Send Message
on: August 25, 2004 12:22
Just noticed I never answered this one. Mmmmm, let's see... I don't remember what I voted for, but my guess would be the Uruks fighting.

I never cared too much for this part of the story, except that I adore the Uruk-hai and Orcs, and their dispute amongst themselves. I was sorry to see it wasn't really shown in the movie, they made it look like all they fought about was food whilst in reality it was a matter of loyalty.

But I did like the Orcs and Uruks with all their different voices. I only recently discovered Andy Serkis did most of them, and I think he did a terrific job.
fbc
Council Member
Send Message
on: May 14, 2005 10:41
This was good.
MerryandPip
Council Member
Send Message
on: May 17, 2005 03:09
Definitely seeing Merry and Pippin again. My sister and i freaked out after we watched FOTR over what was going to happen to them, so we were happy when they came on!
Morna_Child_of_Eru
Council Member
Send Message
on: May 17, 2005 07:27
I voted for dropping the broach, because it shows how the Hobbits are growing up. Rather than just being carried along by events (which they did quite a bit in Fellowship, even though they volenteered to go on the Quest), they are starting to do things to help themselves- taking the initiative. Very clever thing to do, as well.
Sassyfriend
Council Member
Send Message
Post Re: TTT Sequence by sequence: Merry, Pippin & the Uruk-hai
on: September 20, 2012 11:28
Loved all the Merry/Pippin scenes here
Members Online
Print Friendly, PDF & Email