Welcome Guest 

Register

Author Topic:
raanelasse
Council Member
Send Message
Post RE: Accents and dots - how to write them
on: March 01, 2005 08:58
I'm new to your sight but let me tell you about TextPad.
http://www.textpad.com/
I've been using it for three years now. Iit is opensource shareware for Windows. I use it to write the text with circumflex,tilda,diresis,umlaut etc. then copy-paste it if neccessary. I think I paid 19 USD to register and get a cd with plug-ins. The plugins are easy to add and use. It does what many other text editors won't.

[Edited on 2/3/2005 by raanelasse]

[Edited on 2/3/2005 by raanelasse]
foolofatook~
Council Member
Send Message
on: April 25, 2005 10:01
I'm tellin' you right now.....I simply can NOT get it to work!! I've tried everything...and can't do it!!! :cry: Maybe I'm just not doing it right or something. Heh, I'm such a clutz. *lol*
UnicornLvr
Council Member
Send Message
on: May 25, 2005 07:22
Thank you Malinornë. Your tip helped me lots. I appreciate it.
dirk_math
Quenya Workbook Mentor
Send Message
on: June 18, 2005 08:36
One final method that always works on any pc: copy following characters into notepad and save them on your pc. Each time you need them, you select the correct character, choose copy and then paste it into your document:

á Á é É í Í ó Ó ú Ú ë

And if that is too cumbersome, you can also use a method that was used on typewriters (before the age of the pc ):
type the long vowels as double vowels e.g.
sáva = saava
miruvórë = miruvoore
Yassë engë lómë, anarties calali.
Bri
Council Member
Send Message
on: October 20, 2005 12:18
Hello!

I'm new here and just joined a while ago... but I read through this entire thread and still couldn't grasp it. So I went and did a search for ALT Accent codes... And I found a site that had some pretty extensive info.

http://www.starr.net/is/type/altnum.htm

Hope this will help!
StarOfTheRohirrim
Council Member
Send Message
on: September 05, 2006 02:35
Thank you SOOO much Malinorne!
Heh, never could figure out how to do that. :S
ElvenAtHeart
Council Member
Send Message
on: October 11, 2006 12:32
Can I have some help, here? I just installed Allchars, but when I do ctrl, ', e, it turns out like this: well, it was turning out with this mark ' instead of the two dots, but now when I do it it opens this search program on the side of my computer...^_^ Thanks...I'm confused...
ElvenAtHeart
Council Member
Send Message
on: October 12, 2006 04:26
ooh, never mind, alt one three seven works! So I'll just delete Allchars since it doesn't work for me...*deletes* and use the keyboard! *pats keyboard*
freakinblack
Council Member
Send Message
on: February 05, 2007 10:40
I'm having trouble on the workbook typing my answers! Whenever I do the accent mark stuffs, Favorites shows up. When I do the diaeresis, it does nothing. :cry: HELP! :banghead:
Malinornë
FAQ Admin, Quenya Moderator & Eldameldë
Send Message
on: February 06, 2007 05:09
freakinblack, have you tried all the suggested methods in this thread? If not, give it a go - it seems diffent variants works for different keyboards/computers/whatever.

But, if the accent mark and diaeresis works for you if you type in in e.g. Word, WordPerfect or some other software, then the easiest way out for you may be to type in that software and then copy&paste your answers into the workbook.
freakinblack
Council Member
Send Message
on: February 07, 2007 11:09
Hey, thanx Malinorne!! I'm a newbie, and I was happily suprised to find how quick I get help! :hug: I was gonna try that, but (since I'm the most forgetful person I know :rolleyes: ) I forgot. I had to do the pasting thing, but (yes, I'm most annoying, I'm sorry!) on Word I'm having trouble making a lower case 'e' with the diaeresis. :rolleyes: I DID read the whole thread, finally, but I couldn't find anything about it. Yes, I feel quite stupid, but maybe stupid can be fixed! :feedback:
Homicidal_Hobbit
Council Member
Send Message
on: June 05, 2007 06:51
Why was i born an english speaker? Quenya would be so much easier to learn if i was... french, or german or something.

Allchars is excellent, thank you for the help!
Xabriel
Council Member
Send Message
on: June 21, 2007 08:11
What is the difference between Ceninyë and Cenin?
Malinornë
Send Message
on: June 22, 2007 10:33
Xabriel, this thread is for discussion of how to type the accent mark used in Quenya, so please don't post questions on other topics here

In Quenya, pronouns are often expressed by endings, and these endings can take a longer or a shorter form. -nyë is the long form for 'I' and '-n' is the short one, also meaning 'I'. There's no difference in meaning, only in how the short and long ending are used when combined with other endings. I guess your question comes from peeking at one of the workbook exercises... keep reading and it will be explaned.
Tulcavaryar_Unidol_1990
Council Member
Send Message
on: August 02, 2007 04:50
"A Elbereth Gilthoniel o mene palan-direil, le nallon si di-nguruthos! A tiro nin,Fanuilos!"l...does anyone know the little symbols and where they go for this sentence?
Malinornë
Send Message
on: August 02, 2007 08:26
"A Elbereth Gilthoniel o menel palan-diriel, le nallon sí di-nguruthos! A tiro nin, Fanuilos!"

So, there's just one accent mark, in the word sí (here).

Please notice that this is Sindarin, not Quenya, so it's better to use the main Elvish101 forum

[Edited on 2/8/2007 by Malinornë]
Arlea
CoE Volunteer
Send Message
on: September 28, 2007 12:35
Thanks for making this thread! It helped a lot!
Zechs007
Council Member
Send Message
on: April 29, 2008 07:01
yay knowledge!

Vyper
Council Member
Send Message
on: June 07, 2009 08:31
I was using Method 2 when I was on a Windows operating system. Now that I am on a Linux OS, I use a similar version to method two.

Ctrl + Shift + u

which brings up a unicode character generator (appears as an underlined u). Then you put in the hexadecimal code associated with the character. Press enter or space to generate the character.

So, instead of [Num Lock On] Alt + 0250 for ú, I now use Ctrl + Shift + u, then fa to get ú.

This way may only work with the Gnome desktop... never tried with KDE as I prefer Gnome since Redhat 6.

Núro
Knethyra
Council Member
Send Message
on: May 10, 2010 07:56
What if we want to type messages in Elvish via text? How would you go about doing that?
Charodian
Council Member
Send Message
on: May 13, 2010 04:43
Hello,

I don't have any problem with "the two dots over the e" on a german keyboard: just type alt+u, then there will be two dots over every following vowel (including y).

But on the other hand I understood, that the short "e" is always pronounced "open" (as i.e. in "very"), and two vowels are always pronounced separate (except they're diphthongs), so that you need not mark them. Therefore I don't use the "Diärese" (as it would be called in German) at all - makes writing much easier. (Besides: in "Diärese" the two dots are no mark for a "Diärese" but for an "Umlaut", which means, it is pronounced like the vowel in "man" or "bad").

Well, I do have problems with the two dots under the consonant, when typing in Tengwar. There is no such sign in the Tengwar fonts, that can be used properly (except for the "lambe"). The only "two-dots-under"-sign is not really under, but a bit in the consonant.

Anyone with any idea?
Or is there a separate thread for Tengwar?

Greetings from
Charodian
Lambengolmo
Council Member
Send Message
on: May 13, 2010 09:28
The symbol for the double-dot-below in Dan-Smith's-Encoded Tengwar fonts is available as one of the characters "ÌÍÎÏ" depending on the width that you need. ny is "5Ì", ry is "6Í", ty is "1Î". The last one (Ï) should never be needed in Quenya because it can only combine with the short vowel carrier (`).

Remember that these symbols indicate palatalisation (consonant+y) in Quenya and are not at all related to the diaeresis.

@Knethyra: What exactly do you mean by "via text"? I can think of several possibilities, so I can't help you much until you're more specific.
Charodian
Council Member
Send Message
on: May 13, 2010 09:37
Thank you very much, Lambengolmo,

Took me some repeated reading to figure out what you mean by (5Ì) an so on, but I got it - works perfectly... )

Charodian
Lambengolmo
Council Member
Send Message
on: May 13, 2010 10:01
No problem.

In case any one else is confused; what I mean by "5Ì" is that those are the characters that you have to type to get the symbol that you want. For example:

1. Open your word processor
2. Switch to a tengwar font
3. Press the 5 key to get the númen tengwa
4. Press the Ì key to get the correctly spaced double-dot-below for númen

Many people won't have an Ì key so if you're one of them then you'll have to find another way to write Ì; just read the rest of this thread to get lots of tips on how to do this.
Charodian
Council Member
Send Message
on: May 13, 2010 10:22
Well, I don't have an Ì-key, but I have keys for the three accents (german keyboard). I think some other keyboards have similar keys, but I don't exactly know which - surely the french one, as they need these three accents very often.

So I type the key for the tengwa first, then the key for the accent, then the I - and the Ì appears and immediately changes into the two dots below the tengwa - like magic... )

Charodian
Lambengolmo
Council Member
Send Message
on: May 13, 2010 10:43
Yes, that's certainly one way to do it. I just wanted to make it clear to anyone who might be unsure because it's quite common for people to give whole tengwar phrases in that form. For example, the following phrase is "elen síla ..." in Dan Smith's tengwar encoding, you just can't tell until you change the font:

`Vj$5 i~Bj# j&t$5#: `Nt$4%`VjyY
Charodian
Council Member
Send Message
on: May 13, 2010 11:06
I know there's no good way to write Tengwar in here. So I write it on my Mac in 'word', then change the thing to a 'jpg' and upload the picture to the forum. I did so in my thread "Like to join practicing translation?"
In the picture you can see there, I added the two dots in a very complicated way: made a second 'jpg' with only two dots ans added it to the first one. I'm glad this will be much easier now...

Thanks
Charodian
Malinornë
Send Message
on: May 14, 2010 10:31
What if we want to type messages in Elvish via text? How would you go about doing that?

Do you mean SMS? Texting using your cell phone? If there's no possibility to use accent marks (or just too complicated to be useful for a quick message) then there's always the method of 'doubling' the vowels that need to be long. For example 'yaave' instead of 'yávë'. Primitive, but it works
Ebillan
Council Member
Send Message
on: June 14, 2010 02:24
I'm not sure whether or not anyone has posted this already (I scanned through the replies and didn't see anything), but here are the accent codes for Macs;
Acute ó Option+E, L
Circumflex ô Option+I, L
Grave ò Option+`, L
Tilde õ Option+N, L
Umlaut ö Option+U, L

L = letter
Charodian
Council Member
Send Message
on: June 14, 2010 03:49
Thank you for posting that - but you should add, which keyboard that is meant for. I'm using a German keyboard (Mac), and for that it's quite different:

Acute ó = key for the "acute/grave" followed by the letter
Circumflex ô = key for the "circumflex" followed by the letter
Grave ò = shift+key for the "acute/grave" followed by the letter
Tilde õ = alt+n followed by the letter
Umlaut ä,ö,ü = key for ä,ö,ü
Diaeresis ë = alt+u followed by the letter
Ingwion
Council Member
Send Message
on: July 01, 2011 04:10
Aren't umlauts the ^ symbols? I think the ë symbol over the "e" is called a diaeresis. On dictionary.com, they said that an umlaut was used for changing the way a vowel sounds (much like the ^ in Sindarin) and a diaeresis is used to make sure one does not pronounce the vowel as a diphthong (which is done in Quenya, along with the pronounciation of final "e")
no, that is a circumflex.
Huin
Council Member
Send Message
on: August 05, 2011 12:03
I'm also a fan of the International keyboard setting, as someone far earlier in this thread mentioned. I actually use it all the time on my computer because I'm that into linguistics.

Here are a few tips for anyone else geeky enough to use the International keyboard setting:

á, é, í, ó, ú: Hit apostrophe key, then vowel.

ä, ë, ï, ö, ü: Quotation key, then vowel.

â, ê, î, ô, û: This thing ^ (above #6 key), then vowel.

à, è, ì, ò, ù: This thing ` (occupies same key as tilde ~), then vowel.

ñ: Tilde (~), then n.

All of these work with caps lock.

In this setting, you cannot type any of these simply by hitting them once: ' " `~. If you do that, nothing will appear. This is because they're used to make all the nifty character above. In order to type them, you need to hit space bar right afterward. (Yes, it's second nature for me to do that now because I'm obsessed with this keyboard setting.)

:cheers:

[Edited on 5/8/2011 by Huin]
Image ImageRealm of Vairë, Corrupted faction
Ellessar_Envinyatar
Council Member
Send Message
on: October 22, 2011 02:29
So far, I've tried every one of these suggestions I can, and none of them are working. Could anyone help please?
Every star, ever Planet-where do you want to start?
Lambengolmo
Council Member
Send Message
on: October 23, 2011 09:36
Did you read the rest of the thread? Because there's at least one suggestion that cannot possible fail; the one mentioned by dirk_math: saava, miruvoore. His copy/paste suggestion should also work wherever you have access to the copy and paste functions. And some variant of the Character Map program that I mentioned exists on nearly every computer; you may have to search for it if it isn't in your menu.

What operating system do you have (Windows XP, Windows Vista, Windows 7, OS X, Linux, other...)?
carriejeanne80
Council Member
Send Message
Post Re: Accents and dots - how to write them
on: April 14, 2013 10:29
here are all the diaeresis (the two dots over the vowels). I looked forever and found them for anybody who needs them. Make sure Num Lock is on and use the number pad on left hand side of keyboard or it will not work. Hope this helps anyone in the future or even now
A is alt + 0214
E is alt + 0203
I is alt + 0207
O is alt + 0214
U is alt + 0220
Y is alt + 0159
Lower case
a is alt + 0228
e is alt + 0235
o is alt + 0246
i is alt + 0239
u is alt + 0252