Welcome Guest 

Register

<< First1112131415
Author Topic:
Bronwynn
Council Member
Send Message
Post RE: Dark Times (please join. loosely scripted but free to join.)
on: June 21, 2004 04:08
(OK I'm back. So sorry to leave like that but I'm glad everything is still going.)

Phillip had told Aurora to rest but she couldn't. She lay awake wondering what would happen in the next few days. Her father and Phillip were meeting with some of the commanders including the Irish warriors Robert had found. She wanted to know what was being decided.

(sorry it is so short)
lyrav9
Council Member
Send Message
on: June 30, 2004 04:03
(I'm so sorry everyone! I've been so busy these days!)

Stephen digested the news about Lady Aurora's disappearance and Joan's impersonation. He had to tell the Prince.

Stephen relayed some of the things that had been happening in the camp, but they'd spoken long enough. He still had to gather together the rest of the commanders and discuss how to defend themselves against Norway's "surprise" attack.

"Take care Luke. I don't need to tell you again how dangerous your job is. Can you figure out a way to help Joan escape? I'll let you know what the Prince has to say on the subject," Stephen told Luke.

The red head gave him a final wave and the mirror went blank.

Stephen hurriedly gathered the commanders and set off for the Prince's tent. They all received the Prince happily, but sobered quickly when they heard what Stephen had to tell them.

"I have just received word that Norway is planning a suprise attack against us tomorrow afternoon. It will be a large attack, guaranteed to slaughter as many of our men as possible. But now we have the upper hand and we know their plans. We need to sneak up on them and take them by surprise."

The men immediately began drawing out plans for their defense tomorrow. In the midst of the heated discussion, Stephen pulled the Prince aside and spoke quietly for his ears only.

"I have some other information that is very alarming. It turns out that Lady Aurora had left England and is back in Denmark somewhere. Lady Aurora's maid, Joan, had been forced to impersonate her. But she has been kidnapped by Norway and is under Sir Rafe's custody. It is imperative to rescue Joan, but we have to find Aurora before Norway does. What can we do?" he asked, watching the Prince closely.

Elaine smiled at Robert's words. It brought a warm feeling to her heart that he considered her a friend. She responded in kind, "I, too, am glad that you have become my friend. In all this turmoil it is good to know that there is someone I can count on."

She had gotten off the bed and was now clearing away the basket and mugs. "But I have tired you out," she exclaimed. "You should be resting after your surgery. If you want to rejoin the troops and the Prince, you had best heal quickly and completely."

She unfolded the blanket at the foot of the bed and handed it to Robert. "Try to get some sleep. I'll be by to check on you soon."
Jaid_Skywalker
Council Member
Send Message
on: June 30, 2004 04:19
Luke nodded. "I'll do my best." he promised. They exchanged quick farewells and the red-head quickly pocketed his mirror. He stood and turned, then stopped as he saw Nicholas. Something about the boy's serious expression made Luke pause.

"Is something wrong?" He asked, trying to be nonchalant. Nicholas hadn't seen...had he? Then again, the mirror was very inconspicuous.

"What were you doing?" the boy asked.

"Nothing really. Why?"

"You were talking to somebody." Nicolas' brown eyes suddenly seemed far sharper and intelligent than Luke had ever seen; gone was the eager, naive boy. The thief felt his stomach turn, but he continued the easy expression and tone.

"I really don't know what you are talking of." Luke passed him and gave him an affectionate toff on the head. But as he walked away, he felt Nicholas' eyes follow.

'Suddenly I don't feel too good about all this...'

Philip smiled slightly. "I can assure you, Sir Stephen, that I know exactly where Lady Aurora is and that she is safe. However," the smile dissapeared. "This talk of this maid, Joan, worries me. Is there anyway to get her to safety?"

Robert smiled and laid on the cot obediantly. "THank you for everything, Elaine." he said quietly and closed his eyes.

Worn out, he was asleep in minutes.
MrsLegolasGreenleaf
Council Member
Send Message
on: July 01, 2004 06:55
Throughout the entire supper Joan felt nervous. It wasn't right that Rafe was suddenly being so nice to her. She knew this was some trick, but what was in it for him? If he honestly thought she was Aurora, the joke would be on him, for he could do what he wished and it would be no more than a lowly maid he was dealing with, not the noble he thought. But then again, if word reached the Prince that she, or rather Lady Aurora, was captured by Norway, troops would be sent and they could be walking straight into a trap!

Joan spoke as little as possible, and paid little attention to what she was doing. Her thoughts were enough to swallow her whole. But when Rafe asked her to play some music, Joan wished she could have been swallowed whole. Did Aurora play music? Perhaps she was reknown for it, and Joan did not even know how to pluck the strings of a harp.

"I fear my fingers are out of practice my Lord, and my head to tired to concentrate," she answered him.

"Nonsense, I'm positive that what ever it is you play shall be delightful."

"No, honestly my Lord, I simply wish to retire, it has been a long day," she pleaded.

"Come now, I feed you and now you won't even repay me with a simple song?"

Joan was stuck. The only song she knew was the ones played at the summer festivals on the flute. It was obviously a song only enjoyed by peasants, a quick jig she always liked.

"Have you a flute?" No sooner had she asked then was one brought in and Joan began playing, ignoring the look on Rafe's face.

((Sorry I haven't posted in a while, been busy. Will try to post more often. That was a good idea though Iyrav, I liked it!))
lyrav9
Council Member
Send Message
on: July 03, 2004 05:53
Stephen almost caught himself with his jaw hanging wide open. Prince Philip knew where Lady Aurora was? Since the Prince did not offer any other information, Stephen was not going to ask. He merely assumed Lady Aurora was safe up in the castle with the Queen.

He then turned his attention to Joan's situation. "It is very disturbing news, my lord. Especially since she was taken by Rafe. He is very cunning and will soon get any information that she has out of her." He paused thinking about what to do. "There already is one man inside the camp who may be very useful in getting her out, but I'm not sure that is enough," he finished, with nothing solved and everything still up in the air.

The maid Joan was falling right into his trap. She'd very skillfully avoided playing the harp, but here she was now playing the flute. He had to admit it was pleasant sitting here listening to her play. She'd soon tell him everything - he was sure of it.

Midway through her playing, a soldier entered looking somewhat scared at disturbing Rafe, but also determined. Rafe stood and strode over to the man.

"What is it?" he demanded. "I thought I gave strict orders not to be disturbed."

"It's important, my lord," he man stammered. "I've a suspicion that one of the guards here is not what he seems to be. I heard him talking to someone, but he denied it."

Rafe was angrily about to brush it off. The boy was probably imagining it. But he would have no reason to interrupt him either.

"What's your name? And who is it you are talking about?"

"Nicholas," he said. "I'm Nicholas and the guard I'm talking about is called Luke. Red hair. He's new to the camp," he clarified.

Rafe nodded and dismissed him with a wave of his hand. He'd put someone on to investigate. It probably was nothing and he didn't want to waste his time on something so stupid. He had better things to concentrate on - like the lovely Joan for instance. She finished her song with a lively flair and was now looking nervously at him from underneath her lashes.

"My lady, that was beautiful. Thank you for entertaining me so well this evening. I am sure you are tired after such a long day. I will have someone bring in more water and then you can retire for the night. Is there anything you require?" he asked gallantly.
Bronwynn
Council Member
Send Message
on: July 04, 2004 04:34
Aurora sat a little ways away from the men, but she could still hear their conversation. She was very worried for Joan. The girl she had tried to befriend was now captured and trying to impersonate her. She had to help her But she also knew that Phillip would never let her go now that he had her back. Maybe she could convince him.

He was in the middle of a war that would decide the fate of their home but that was coming to a break with the beginning of winter. That gave her an idea. If she could convince Phillip to give her the necessary training to fight she could go in as a prisoner and help Joan from the inside.

She made her way over to where Phillip and Stephen were standing.

"My Lords if I may there is a way of possibly helping Joan from the inside." she said.

"That is what we are trying to decide." Stephen said almost hopelessly.

"If I may offer a possiblity?" she asked.

Phillip gave a slight nod.

"There is already someone on the inside?" More nods. "Then why don't we send someone else in who can get even closer to Joan. Someone who is willing to go in as a prisoner. They could then not only see what forces Rafe is mounting but also get to Joan and help her. I, my Lords, would like that job."
Jaid_Skywalker
Council Member
Send Message
on: July 04, 2004 07:26
"No." Philip said immediately. "No, I am afraid that is out of the question...William." he had almost called her Aurora. It would be too complicated to explain - especially since Aurora was still in disguise.

He met her eyes, silently begging her to understand why he did not want her to go.

(I'm skipping ahead to the morning; hope no one minds)

Luke had slept for a few hours before daybreak. The army was moving, preparing for their strike. Luke had already figured out how he would get Joan away; one minor soldier would not be missed if he left at an opurtune (sp?) moment. And there would only be a few guards to worry about; Luke wasn't an accomplished theif and liar for nothing.

But Nicholas' expression and words still haunted him. The quick change in the boy frightened him a little as well. Had he been under suspicion all along and was Nicholas - like him - a spy to keep an eye on Luke?

'Stop, you're getting paranoid.' the theif stated to himself. Paranoia could be useful but not if it clouded his thoughts.

He just hoped Joan could hold on long enough for him to rescue her. If something happened to her...Luke's stomach involuntarily twisted thinking of how it would affect Robert. The boy already had lost any of his family; to lose the girl he loved as well...

Luke smiled wryly as he pulled his worn gauntlets on. He was getting soft.

Robert walked out of the medical tent the next morning. The air was still misty and the snow crunched underneath his feet as he walked.

The blonde boy looked around, hoping to see Elaine. He smiled as he saw her near one of the cooking fires and walked forward.

He kept his arm close to his side; it was still a little stiff, but no longer felt aflame as it had earlier. He blushed thinking of the scolding the dark haired girl had given him.

"Good morning." he said softly as he approached Elaine.

Aiden smoked his pipe in a thoughtful manner as he sat outside his tent. He could hear Father Anderson giving morning prayers only a short distance away. The priest would be fighting along side them today.

Aiden sighed and watched the cloudy sky. It was almost time.
lyrav9
Council Member
Send Message
on: July 04, 2004 08:39
The previous night the young man William volunteered to go as a prisoner to rescue Joan, but both the Prince and Stephen agreed that it would not be a good idea. They had dropped the matter immediately, but Stephen caught the steely look in William's eye. He looked determined to go. Stephen just hoped that nothing would be done without the Prince's authorization.

This morning, though, they were getting ready to march out and meet this "suprise" attack. In this hilly and forested area there were many places to hide, waiting for the perfect moment to ambush Norway's soldiers.

Aiden and Father Anderson were to go and fight along with them. He hadn't spoken to them since introducing them to the Prince. He looked around and spotted Aiden sitting outside his tent and walked over to him.

"What do you think our chances are for today?" Stephen asked, also staring up at the cloudy sky.

"Robert! Good morning," Elaine said as brightly as she could muster. But she couldn't keep the worry out of her eyes. She knew the men were going to fight again today.

She'd heard last night of the planned surprise attack by Norway and was so thankful that Denmark's men had found out about it. But Elaine had woken up in the middle of the night sick with fear at the thought of what would have happened if they hadn't found out - it would have been a massacre at the camp. She had to get up after this to make a few rounds in the medical tents, checking to see that the soldiers were safe and taken care of.

Robert looked well and refreshed. Elaine knew he had slept soundly. As for herself, she didn't even want to think of how she looked. When she finally went to bed, she only had a few hours of sleep, mostly broken by her tossing and turning, before she had to get up. There must be dark shadows under her normally clear gray eyes and her hair was hurriedly bundled up under a cap of worn linen.

She reached out and took hold of Robert's arm. "How is your arm this morning?" she asked, inspecting the bandages more thoroughly than usual.

"It's a little stiff, but definitely not as painful as it was yesterday," he replied.

"That's good to hear. Would you like some tea?" She turned away quickly and began bustling around cook fire. She brought him back a steaming mug of tea and a chunk of bread.

He took it gratefully. "I feel good enough to join the men today. They'll need all the swords they can get. That is if you and the doctors say I'm ready," he said hastily, eyeing her nervously.

If he was waiting for her to give him another scolding, it was not coming. She could not keep the anxiety at bay any longer. "Oh Robert, do you have to go?" she asked sadly.

Rafe had ordered a man to keep an eye out on both Nicholas and the other boy Luke. They could be working some trouble together. He'd also ordered that Joan be locked up and under guard in her room the entire night.

He gotten up early in the morning with the taste of victory on his tongue. It was the day of their surprise attack on those foolish and unsuspecting Danes. He had a few well placed spies in the Denmark camp to report to him what was going on. The rest of the soldiers were up and about training and cleaning and sharpening their gear. They were to march soon.

Rafe was in such good spirits this morning that he might have given Joan anything she asked. Therefore he left her under the care of some trusted guards. He let them know that she was to be treated with the utmost respect and like a true lady. She was to be given anything she needed, except pen and paper. Nor was she allowed any visitors. Any request she made to see someone would have to be smoothly turned down.

Rafe almost pitied her in this unfortunate situation. He did not like being an ogre towards a helpless woman, but she had information he needed. He sighed. When his victory was complete, then he would devote his time to atone for all his misdeeds and make all right.

Bronwynn
Council Member
Send Message
on: July 04, 2004 09:22
When Stephen had left Aurora turned to Phillip anger and frustration building up inside of her.

"Phillip this is the last attack before both sides stop for the winter. Unless you are planning some sneak attack later on this is the last oppertunity to get someone else into the Norwegian camp without it looking suspicious. There is a risk yes but after all that has already happened I'm willing to take it."

"I'm not."

"Phillip you and Stephen said that Rafe would probably test Joan to reveal her. The best thing we can do is bide her and us some time. And the only way to do that is to get her to pass the tests. I can help her do that. If my safety is what you are concerned about you should know that I can take care of myself. So long as Rafe and his army think that I am a soldier no harm will come to me."

Phillip said nothing his face grave. It made him look old.

"I owe this to her. She covered for me when I left now I must help her. What are you afraid of?"
Jaid_Skywalker
Council Member
Send Message
on: July 04, 2004 02:22
Philip closed his green eyes and let out a breath. "I am afraid of losing you." he said a little stiffly. He reopened his eyes. "Aurora, please...I understand your feelings in this matter; where I in the same place, I might very well want to do the same. However..." he took her hand. "A few days ago I lived knowing I had lost you forever to England. Please don't make me fear losing you again. We will find another way."

Aiden tapped the ashes out of his pipe and stared at the sky. "Good day for an ambush." he grinned a little wryly. "If all goes to plan, then those Norwegians won't know what hit 'em."

"And if it goes ill, God's mercy on our souls." Father Anderson said. Aiden shook his head.

"My friend, you think to negatively." he scolded. Anderson's golden eyes rested on the horizon and he shrugged his sharp, thin shoulders.

"Perhaps." he turned back to the men and gave a slight bow. "I am heading up one of the squads of ambushers, and we must leave immediately. Aideu gentlemen, and..." he paused. "And the blessing of God on you both." With that, the priest left. Aiden shook his head and stood.

"Always was a gloomy fella." he mused. "Odd sense of humor too; comes of spending too much time in a damp monstarty I'd expect." he commented to Stephen. He clamped the younger man on the shoulder.

"Best we get ready, lad. It's time."

Robert's face softened at the tone of Elaine's voice. He swallowed the last of his bread and looked at her.

"Remember what we talked of last night? You told me that you believed God gave us a path to walk; that He brought us into circumstances for a reason." the young man smiled. "How could I not go after that? Besides, all my life I've wanted to be a knight. What sort of knight would I be if I didn't help?"

Elaine looked away and nodded. Robert put down his mug and put his arms around her, giving her a tight hug.

"You know something, Elaine?" he whispered. "If I ever had had a sister, I think I would have wanted her to be like you."

(OOC: In case any one is wondering, yes, I am rather emotional right now. Sorry for the overdose of WAFF - warm and fuzzy feelings)
Bronwynn
Council Member
Send Message
on: July 05, 2004 08:52
Aurora held his hand. "I don't want to loose you either, but there is no other way. You know that." She tried to reassure him with a smile but she was unsure herself and so it was forced. "If I could get away from England without their knowing then I can certainly do it again and this time I will have help. Not only from Joan but from our spies who are over there."

She dropped her head, what she wanted to say next she knew was cruel but she had to say it because it was the truth.

"Phillip I would rather go know that you were behind me and knew that I was safe, but I will go with or without your help. I don't want it to come down to that, but I will."

(Have to go, will write more later)
lyrav9
Council Member
Send Message
on: July 06, 2004 02:48
(Awww Jaid, your sentimentalism and warm and fuzzy feeling were so sweet. Sad to say, I had a tear in my eye. :cry: I'm such a sap!)

Stephen listened to the interplay between Father Anderson's negative outlook on the upcoming battle and Aiden's gloden optimism. They were both so different, yet Stephen knew they were fierce fighters and would do their utmost for a victory. He was glad they were fighting on his side.

Stephen looked up at the sky once more. The clouds were still gathering and not a hint of sun was showing. An icy rain would be the outcome if the clouds broke too soon.

"Let's hope the weather holds," he remarked to Aiden. "I'd not relish a battle in sleet and rain."

Aiden nodded but smiled in that hope-filling way of his that Stephen almost could believe the clouds would stay put just because Aiden wished it so.

Encircled in Robert's arms, Elaine was trying hard to fight back her tears. She'd grown so close to him during their past conversations - they understood each other very well. Which was why even though she truly didn't want Robert to go, she knew he had to. She pulled away from him and wiped her eyes.

"You're right, Robert," she told him, smiling bravely. "God does have a plan in store for us and I was wrong to want you to stay. You have to go to fulfill your duty to Him, to your country, and to yourself.

"I remember thinking last night that you were growing into a man worthy of respect from his peers. Today, your words have proven that it is true. You are a man and a soldier, and if they don't knight you, there is something wrong with the world," she joked, trying to lighten the mood.

The men around were beginning to move towards the center of camp for final instructions and finals words from their commander in chief, Prince Philip. So Elaine concluded by grabbing hold of Robert's hand and telling him, "I am so proud of you and proud to have you think of me as a sister. Be safe and Godspeed."

Jaid_Skywalker
Council Member
Send Message
on: July 07, 2004 06:03
(OOC: Lol, I'm glad I'm not the only sap then, lyrav.)

Philip's jaw tightened. "If you were going to do it regardless," he said in a slightly strained tone. "Then what was the point of asking me in the first place?"

Aurora's face looked hurt and Philip shook his head. "It's more than the danger, Aurora. I don't what situation our spy is in and you going in there heedlessly could not only endanger yourself, but him as well. Please, wait just a little longer. That's all I'm asking."

Robert smiled and squeezed her hand. "Thank you." he whispered. Then squaring his shoulders, he headed off for the center of the camp with the others.

(I'll wait for your post Bronwyn and then do Philip's speech before the battle.)
Bronwynn
Council Member
Send Message
on: July 07, 2004 07:16
Aurora thought for a moment. He was right, why did she ask him? Maybe to see what she could do with him knowing or maybe she wanted him to say no just to see how much he loved her.
"Very well Phillip, I will wait, but we can not delay much longer."

Ruper had assembled the commanders and had them gather the troops at the center of camp.

He went back to Phillip's tent to get him.

"My Lord, they are ready."

He looked at Phillip and his daughter. Seeing them together again made him very happy but now there was a chance that they might be seperated again and he did not know how Aurora would cope if Phillip should fall.
lyrav9
Council Member
Send Message
on: July 13, 2004 02:15
The men had gathered in the open field ready for the upcoming battle. Stephen spotted Robert walking through the crowds and beckoned him over. They stood, silently waiting for the Prince to begin his speech.

Rafe and his men were riding towards the Denmark camp, ready to ambush them. Halfway there, one of Rafe's spies came thundering towards him in a panic. In hurried whispers, Rafe learned that the Danes had learned of their plans for the surprise attack somehow.

He scowled murderously. It was too late to turn back so they would just have to meet each other in a fair fight. His men still outnumbered theirs, so they would still have a victory, although less sweeter than he'd wanted.

Rafe swore to find the traitorous spy or spies and punish them severely after the battle was over. He would not tolerate any more disobedience from those Norwegiam men. He was going to have to be a much stricter and more severe commander.

It never crossed his mind that he was as much a traitor to Denmark as those spies he was so ravenous to find, catch, and punish.
Bronwynn
Council Member
Send Message
on: July 14, 2004 05:33
(I hate to do this again but I am leaving to two weeks for Seatle and will not have access to a computer. Do whatever you want to keep this going while I'm gone. I am hoping though that Aurora will be captured as William and taken to Rafe's camp where she can help Joan. If you get through the battle before I get back then go ahead with it. And all of you have permission to speak for both of my characters while I'm away. See you when I get back.)
Bronwynn
Council Member
Send Message
on: July 29, 2004 09:38
(Hi I'm back. wow nothing happened while I was gone.)

"Father, I want to go get her."

Henry was furious that Aurora had not returned or even written since she had left. Now he began to fear that she was never coming back.

"Be patient my son. If you go after her there may be concequences."

"I don't care, she's mine and belongs here."

Henry turned and stormed for the door. As he reached it the Lady Cassandra stepped in and shut the door not allowing him to pass.

"If you would my ord, stay for I have decided it is time you knew the truth about her ladyship."

(lyrv, I'll let you take this as it is your character.)
<< First1112131415
Members Online
Print Friendly, PDF & Email