<< First45678
Author Topic:
Lucy_Took
CoE Volunteer
Send Message
Post RE: Homeschoolers
on: March 09, 2010 06:11

If you're willing to answer some questions of mine,
What do you do after you've completed a high school education?
Do you go off to a college?
What do your schedules look like? What subjects do you have?
What else do you do?
Can you tell I'm really curious?

1.Go to college,get married,get a job,whatever you would do after completing public school.

2. Depends on your parents/what you want to do. I'm considering doing my freshman year by correspondence,and then going off. Step one-Choose a school. Which I have yet to do,because I have to decide on a major first(I know,most places school first,major second. But when you're teetering between music and law,the school depends on what I want to study...)

3. Schedule? What schedule? What's schedule precious? What's that?

Get up at 7:00,eat,dress,ect.
Family devotions at 8:00
Log onto school computer program around 8:45
Study/do homework/take tests until the assigned work is done,I finish around 11:30.(Really don't have an order. Depends on what I feel like studying first...)
Do ACT prep until lunch.
Eat lunch,study more,work on reports,read,goof off on TLC and CoE,ect, until work at 4:00

4. I'm taking Algebra II(Yuck),Chemistry(Double Yuck),English(Yea!),Bible(Yea!) and History(Yea!)

5. Take music lessons(Actually,I'm not currently taking any. Other sibs are taking piano,I took for quite some time),I have a job at a retirement village,and I'm pretty active in my church. (Sunday School teacher in training!)
SongofRivendell
Council Member
Send Message
on: May 03, 2010 07:46
Yep, Homeschooled all the way and lovin' it! 11th grade is sooo much fun... esp. Latin. (Seriously!) It's a constant challenge, but I've always enjoyed it. It's funny when people ask you what your social life is like, or what college you're going to. I just don't feel that I need to go to college, as I'm planning to start a sewing business. (Next time someone pops the 'college' question, I'm going to tell them that I plan on becoming a farmer! Seriously! Sam Gamgee for me!)
Nrogara
Council Member
Send Message
on: May 24, 2011 11:21
I've always been homeschooled, and have never seriously regretted it. In fact, I love it now, but when I was little I wanted to ride the bus.
Image Image
Nrogara
Council Member
Send Message
on: May 24, 2011 11:22
Same with me, Song. No college for me!
Image Image
LegolasXXXXX
Council Member
Send Message
on: May 24, 2011 11:59
While we're on the subject of college, I'm not too enthusiastic about going, but I'm going to try to get the military to pay for my college in exchange for my servicd. I plan on trying to move all the way up to the Army Rangers in the military. So, in other words, Ranger of the North!!! lol
Lindarielwen, I hope that wherever you are it is incredible and filled with all the things that you love. Looking forward to our next meeting.
Carnilmo_Orontmardo
Council Member
Send Message
on: June 16, 2011 12:02
Hello everyone, I’m homeschooled as well (rather obvious, otherwise what would I be doing here), and always have been. The most annoying things I find about homeschooling are two questions.
1. What about socialization?
2. What about college? (it used to be highschool but now that I’m in grade 10 it switched to college.)

My usual responses to those two are:
1. Well, Mom and Dad usually let me out of the cage once a week.
2. What’s this college thing that everyone keeps talking about?

My favourite subjects are: Algebra, Geometry, Latin, Irish Gaelic, Drama, and Music. (very varied I know)
IndilwenLanathiel
Council Member
Send Message
on: September 14, 2011 01:55
I'm homeschooled too. Always have been, always will be, and will homeschool my children.
Dolwen
Store Admin & Head Weaver of Vairë
Send Message
on: January 25, 2012 03:27
I know this thread is a bit old but I was wondering if some of you home school students could tell me a bit about it. I am seriously thinking of homeschooling my two youngest children (9 and 11) beginning this next school year and just really don't know much about it. I have tried to find info on the net but WOW, overwhelming and confusing. lol.
Have any of you gone to public school and then began home schooling? If so, was it a difficult transition etc.
What do you do about electives such as art, music, computers etc?

Thanks for any info.
Beren_Onehand
Council Member
Send Message
on: February 29, 2012 01:41
I'm a home-schooled and have been all my life. My mother might be able to help you so if you're interested send me a private message (because I probably won't check this regularly)
"All we have to decide, is what to do with the time that is given to us"
Erucenindë
Head Of Oromë
Send Message
on: February 29, 2012 03:54
Dolwen: I was homeschooled all my life, but I know that many schools offer "electives" that homeschool people can participate in as well, especially sports. You could ask the school they currently go to if they do that. Also, good homeschool groups do lots of activities. And if your kids are in music, there are lots of teachers you can find for private lessons, lots of people do that. And there are even bands that are separate from schools. There is definitely not a shortage of activities out there apart from public school!

Homeschooling really isn't too hard, many textbooks now pretty much tell you exactly what to do and lay out a daily lesson plan, so they make it easy (i know especially that ABeka does, and some other curriculums.) Also, many homeschool curriculums have teacher answer keys (like for math) so you don't have to know how to do all kinds of math and what not.

I didn't go to public school, but I did go to college and the transition was fine for me. I wouldn't trade the homeschooling part of my life for public school. It just takes discipline, making sure your kids do their school work, but it's not much different than making sure they did their homework.

If you have any other questions feel free to PM me.

[Edited on 3/1/2012 by Erucenindë]
Lyna
Council Member
Send Message
Post Re: Homeschoolers
on: January 15, 2013 12:37
I homeschool our 5 year old.
True joy, is found at the Master’s feet.
Mareth_Ravenlock
Council Member
Send Message
on: January 20, 2013 10:34
I am being homeschooled, and I love it!
~Llama Warrior of Nessa~ Sometimes, I've believed as many as six impossible things before breakfast. - Lewis Carrol
dwellerofthewest
Council Member
Send Message
on: January 23, 2013 07:00
I have anxiety problems so I took a leave then moved schools. I had a tutor and would have loved it expect for the fact that the tutors were not so great.
Eruwestiel_Evensong
Council Member
Send Message
on: January 25, 2013 11:05
I'm homeschooled. Love it.
"And I dreamed of seas and ships, and of waves crashing on the shore in the twilight of the world..." ~Song, member of the Realm of Ulmo
Lindarielwen
Council Member
Send Message
on: January 26, 2013 07:42
It seems to me that those of you I met who are home schooled are getting a wonderful and well-rounded education.
My destiny is riding again, rolling in the rain, unwinding in the wind. My destiny is fighting again, secretly unwinding..what it was I was supposed to say...to say to you today.
Mareth_Ravenlock
Council Member
Send Message
on: January 28, 2013 03:31
We do Lindarielwen.
~Llama Warrior of Nessa~ Sometimes, I've believed as many as six impossible things before breakfast. - Lewis Carrol
Legolas23
Council Member
Send Message
on: February 24, 2013 08:48
i went to public school from kindergarten to 3rd grade dolwen. i am home schooled now.i love it so much! yes we do Lindarielwen! well, i am not home schooled really. i am unschooled. if u have any questions about unschooling ask away!
rhodilwen
Council Member
Send Message
on: February 26, 2013 12:09
I was homeschooled but have since graduated. I'm in my junior year at Texas A&M university. I loved being homeschooled. We had a co-op where I got my "socialization" in and we even had organized sports. I played volleyball and we traveled all over the area playing private and 1A and 2A schools. No regrets here!!
And heads up all you in high school- people in college could really care less about where you went to school. You don't get the "three questions" anymore. lol1 In fact, they usually think you're pretty smart. =)
The men of the east may spell the stars/ and times and triumphs mark/ But the men signed with the cross of Christ/ go gaily in the dark- G.K. Chesterton ~Member of the Realm of Ulmo~ http://clairembanschbach.wordpress.com/
Mareth_Ravenlock
Council Member
Send Message
on: February 28, 2013 09:22
Indeed.

So, what is unschooling, Legolas? I don't think I've heard of it before.
Cillendor
Council Member
Send Message
on: March 06, 2013 03:05
I love homeschool. I was homeschooled 4-9th grades, but we moved after that so I went to public 10-12 to meet people faster. But when I get married and have kids, I'm hoping that my wife will be enthusiastic about it herself so that we can homeschool them.

And yes, Legolas, please explain!
Legolas23
Council Member
Send Message
on: April 06, 2013 05:19
Unschooling is when you do 'school at home' but you get to learn what ever you want. say i wanted to learn about Tolkien some more. Momma would find articals, pictures, videos, etc. about Tolkien. My mom, Aisling of Rohan, can answer any questions!
Mellwen_Bronwewen
Council Member
Send Message
I'm homeschooled.
“That there’s some good in this world, Mr. Frodo… and it’s worth fighting for.” – Sam “Even the smallest person can change the course of the future.” – Galadriel
findemaxam48
Council Member
Send Message
So...why are you homeschooled? Not just you, Mellwen, but everyone in general. Im not homeschooled.
We were one in the same, running like moths to the flame. You'd hang on every word I'd say, but now they only ricochet.
Mellwen_Bronwewen
Council Member
Send Message
Well, I think it gets you ready for the world. You know, know exactly what I believe about God and other things, and then I will be ready to make a difference in the world. I'm not sure about you guys, but I really like it.
“That there’s some good in this world, Mr. Frodo… and it’s worth fighting for.” – Sam “Even the smallest person can change the course of the future.” – Galadriel
Dolwen
Store Admin & Head Weaver of Vairë
Send Message
I am not homeschooled and never was but I do homeschool my two younger children. We actually made the decision last year to begin homeschooling so we are only in out second year of doing it. findemaxam48, I can tell you from a parents perspective why we decided to do it. There are many reasons: we are Christians and wanted our children to be taught Christian principles and values that they don't get in public school, we wanted our children to be taught from a creation perspective, and a big one was that we didn't like some of the things that were going on/being taught/or being implemented in the schools and the fact that the rights of the parents were becoming less and less with each passing year. The benefits are more that I could have imagined also.
Mellwen_Bronwewen
Council Member
Send Message
Yes Dolwen, that is what my parents also say! And I agree!
findemaxam48
Council Member
Send Message
I agree to some extent, and thats fine if homeschool is the thing for you, but I enjoy going to public school and sharing my Christian principles with other non believers. I like going through all of the evolution material just so that i can give my public opinion about it. It gives me a chance to share my faith with others, which is a big step in your walk with God.
We were one in the same, running like moths to the flame. You'd hang on every word I'd say, but now they only ricochet.
Mareth_Ravenlock
Council Member
Send Message
Well said, Dolwen!

That's the only reason that I would want to go to public school, Maxie. To be able to share the Good News with others. But my parents have chosen to homeschool, and I love it!
findemaxam48
Council Member
Send Message
Theres also something we do at public schools to express faith: it's called "See You At The Pole," and the third or fourth week in September, Christians who want to express their faith gather around their flagpole at school to pray and speak to other students about Christ.
I LOVE SYaTP. Im facilitating it this year, and right now it looks like the total count of people around the pole will be me and two others. I would love to have more people, but I guess this way we can all be more personal with the people who come over.
Huddy
Council Member
Send Message
I ould like to join the homeschool throng! I am 14 and have been homeschooled all my life as have my three older brothers. I am very glad to be homeschooled because it has given me a jump on highschool. I am actually a sophomore this year and will graduate at 16. I love my mom for the trouble she has gone through to give us such an excellent education!
I do miss socialization. This is intensified because I live 20 mi from town and have very few neighbors and none my age. As a result I am quite a hermit and don't exactly know how to socialize (forgive any rudeness, please). I have been teased a bit because of my queer intrests and am frequently called a 'nerd + 2' but oh well! I am who I am!
Gnomie
Council Member
Send Message
I was homeschooled until I finished year 12. Does it only happen to me, or are the first two things people say to you when you mention you are homeschooled are; 'do you stay in your pajamas all day?' and, 'do you have any friends?'
Lord_Sauron
Council Member
Send Message
I was never homeschooled. Went to a Catholic primary School from prep to grade 6 (hated primary school. But that's another story)
Then went to a public high school to complete years 7-12.

Eryniell
Council Member
Send Message
I was never homeschooled either, but I loved the idea of it! I would much rather learn in the comfort of my own home with a parent as a teacher, rather than being in a public school with a bunch of people I don't know with teachers who seem to be annoyed when I ask a question.
Homeschooling seems great!
ElfwithAtatude
Council Member
Send Message
I'm home schooled too!! But since I've started high school my parents sent me to a sort of private school for home schoolers. I go two days a week and take four classes there. The rest I take at home, and it's all based on Christian views. The reason why I am going there is because my mom can't teach me Geometry and she doesn't want me to dissect a frog on our kitchen table. But I love being home schooled!!!

@findemaxam48: we have SYatP too!!
@ Gnomie: Yes!! They do!! And then their like, "well you must have it really easy and can take days off when ever you want." And I'm like, "no I have things that are due and I have to be up at a certain tell and because we're at home we don't get any days off unless we're sick."
Image "We all change when you think about it. We're all different people all through out our lives. And that's okay. That's good. You gotta keep moving so long as you remember all the people that you used to be." -- The 11th Doctor
Gnomie
Council Member
Send Message
By the way, there is a really cool high schooled literature book from a Christian viewpoint that uses lotr as its text. I did it in year 8 and enjoyed every minute of it. You can find it at HomeScholar Books. The website is, I think, www.homescholar.org/

<< First45678
Members Online
Print Friendly, PDF & Email